Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just like to say hi to you all! I am a British shoe designer that has designed both mens and women's shoes. Currently I'm working for a company called Cross Sword that produce classically styled handmade high heel shoes for men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, heeledman said:

Just like to say hi to you all! I am a British shoe designer that has designed both mens and women's shoes. Currently I'm working for a company called Cross Sword that produce classically styled handmade high heel shoes for men.

Hello, and good luck with the venture. B)

I understand 'why' the name of the company (I think), but is it grammatically correct? 'Angry' Sword? I'm more used to reading 'crossed swords' as the business moniker, or 'cross swords' (argue or fighting) though I'm sure Puffer will correct me if I'm mistaken. (Usually can stop himself. :D)

Had a look at the shoes, and the front of them look very masculine as is probably intended. Don't know I'm ready to show off a heel yet, but I hope the business takes off.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi FastFreddy2, Thanks for your wishes! The cross in Cross Sword does not mean angry, it refers to the swords being overlapped. Two swords pointing downwards as a sign of two gentlemen who do not wish to engage in violence. The cross is a handshake so to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, heeledman said:

Two swords pointing downwards as a sign of two gentlemen who do not wish to engage in violence. The cross is a handshake so to say

Thanks for clearing that up. I doubt I'm the only one misunderstanding though? :huh: Since it's quite a nice concept, perhaps some mention of it on the web site sometime in the future? We all like back-stories. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hesitate to pour cold water on a brave venture, but I fail to see the appeal of the shoe styles so far shown by Cross Sword.   The uppers are conventional (distinctly boring) men's styling which I for one would not wear, regardless of the heel type.   And the heel (with a gimmicky insert) is rather too feminine.   The price is going to put these out of reach for anyone but a fashionista too.   Sorry!

If CS (or someone else) introduced some more neutral loafers or ankle boots with a tapered toe and a plain cuban or stacked heel of (say) 3.5" for £100 or so in sizes above UK8, I guess there would be a fair interest.   Until then, most UK male heel-wearers will buy women's styles (if they fit), have something custom-made (which need not be expensive) or go without.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Puffer said:

The uppers are conventional (distinctly boring) men's styling...

Personally, I think that is the appeal, and the entire point, that they look "ordinary". Plenty of "whack" styles of people want them but how many normal, ordinary styles are available? Almost none.

Totally agree about that heel though, god almighty... Why? Make a mans shoe/boot look like a mans shoe/boot...

Check this guys heels, the chunky brown and black ones:

https://hhplace.org/gallery/album/525-ankle-boots/?tab=comments#comment-30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Puffer said:

I hesitate to pour cold water on a brave venture, but I fail to see the appeal of the shoe styles so far shown by Cross Sword.   The uppers are conventional (distinctly boring) men's styling 

 

5 hours ago, Puffer said:

 And the heel (with a gimmicky insert) is rather too feminine.   The price is going to put these out of reach for anyone but a fashionista too.   Sorry!

 

There is a juxtaposition that would surely turn off buyers at either end of the buying scale? Men wanting a heel that looks like a mans shoe - with an otherwise feminine style of heel .... Verses a man wanting a feminine shoe maybe liking the heel, but finding the front too masculine?

 

1 hour ago, Tech said:

Plenty of "whack" styles of people want them but how many normal, ordinary styles are available? Almost none.

What does this mean?

 

1 hour ago, Tech said:

Totally agree about that heel though, god almighty... Why? Make a mans shoe/boot look like a mans shoe/boot...

Check this guys heels, the chunky brown and black ones:

https://hhplace.org/gallery/album/525-ankle-boots/?tab=comments#comment-30

 

Could someone oblige with uploading this picture to here please? As I can't get on to HHp having been banned from there circa November 2008, as "undesirable'. :o Is it really, almost 10 years go? :huh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think these are the boots Tech means:

IMG_0951.JPG

If so, they are from Miguel Jones in Mexico and very similar to some I have (in black) with a 5" heel - pictures previously posted on H4M.   That is what I had in mind when I referred before to having something custom-made at modest cost; mine were around £110 delivered and of very good quality.

I take Tech's point that, heel apart, the Cross Sword shoes look 'ordinary' (as distinct from fussy or flamboyant) and that they might well appeal to some men.    But I don't like such styles - 'ordinary' here = boring, imho.   The MJ boots with a blocky heel, pointed toe and neat stitching are still restrained and masculine but never 'boring'.   If there was a UK supplier of styles similar to MJ's, and in all sizes, I reckon there would be good business if the price was right (say around £100).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Puffer said:

I take Tech's point that, heel apart, the Cross Sword shoes look 'ordinary' (as distinct from fussy or flamboyant) and that they might well appeal to some men.    But I don't like such styles - 'ordinary' here = boring, imho.   The MJ boots with a blocky heel, pointed toe and neat stitching are still restrained and masculine but never 'boring'.   If there was a UK supplier of styles similar to MJ's, and in all sizes, I reckon there would be good business if the price was right (say around £100).

Thank you, for including the picture. B)

I would agree on style, in that something with a pointed toe has 'something about it' that makes it attractive. While not being the most comfortable for many, those of us with pointed feet (rather than square and wide) find them easier to wear. ;)

Looking at your SRP, I think you are a mile out on that. In the high street where shoes are sold in their tens of thousands, a leather shoe is likely to be circa £150 a pair. Some high street brands (Dune, KG) are pushing £200 a pair and over. While economies of scale would keep pricing low(er), selling 100 pairs of an MJ style boot in UK10 per year would be quite an achievement. Sales of Pleaser shoes are so poor here in the UK they no longer hold a local stock.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may well be right about the typical prices of higher-end footwear in the UK but that does not make them either attractive or affordable.   I wouldn't pay more than £50-60 for a pair of shoes unless they were very special, such as the bespoke MJs - and then £120 or so would be my limit.   If MJ can do it ...    (Yes, I may be unrealistic - but I doubt that I am alone in setting a definite budget for any such items.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Puffer said:

You may well be right about the typical prices of higher-end footwear in the UK but that does not make them either attractive or affordable.   I wouldn't pay more than £50-60 for a pair of shoes unless they were very special, such as the bespoke MJs - and then £120 or so would be my limit.  

Where can you buy such a shoe now, at that price, with all duties and insured carriage paid?

Dune and KG are not high end brands, they are not so unusual high street fodder at not so unusual prices. You can vote with your wallet by not buying, but the rest of the buying public will spend that sort of money because it's what they are used to, and what they expect. A new range of mens leather shoe from Marks, is priced at £79. That's as high street as it's possible to get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×