Sign in to follow this  
shyguy

Here's An Opportunity We Missed

Missed opportuniity? Definitely.

I wouldn't have been free to participate today though, so no great loss to me. Sponsorship is presumably also needed & I wouldn't particularly like to tip off work colleagues, etc. about my forthcoming jaunt in the park in stilettos. The ribbing that would follow (even if they didn't actually attend to point & laugh) would continue many months past the actual event - yes, i have many purile & tedious colleagues - it's like being back at school sometimes.

Hopefully though , this is the first of many Walk A Mile... events to be held in the UK. It's been a USA thing for quite a while but i'd never seen it happening here before.

Edited by euchrid

Missed opportuniity? Definitely.

It's been a USA thing for quite a while but i'd never seen it happening here before.

I vaguely remember someone doing a high heeled walk a couple of years ago, and there's a thread here (perhaps 3 or 4 years old) where the member asked for other members to choose his footwear for "Walk No.2"? I also (vaguely) remember someone linking an event last year or the year before, to a similar W-A-M event that subsequently got cancelled?

These are great opportunities to help 'good cause' charities, and be a little self-indulgent too. But as Euchrid rightly says, using people for sponsorship that are close enough to constantly remind you of your performance, maybe a benefit with very high (and longterm) personal cost. :(

I'm not overly sure about the dress code either..... post-40-0-12903100-1377445814_thumb.jpg :D

Note: This is a widely published image, (which I do not own) so there is no need to edit out anything. I'd only removed some of the more easily recognised faces, simply to highlight the one my comment is referring to. ;)

Edited by FastFreddy2

Personally I would use this as a good excuse to indulge in heeling while benefiting a good cause AND expect most people who sponsored it would see it as a charity event and nothing more. Obviously there would be some (hopefully good natured) ribbing to take from some people until they moved onto something and someone else.

I think I'd be willing to find out if this was being done locally, on which point a friend of my wifes runs a charity and does many fund raisers so I wonder how I could get this suggested to her?

I think I'd be willing to find out if this was being done locally, on which point a friend of my wifes runs a charity and does many fund raisers so I wonder how I could get this suggested to her?

I had thought the charity normally associated with this, was one of the ladies (breast) cancer charities. [Pink ribbon?] But seems not. Doing a search brings up "Domestic violence awareness", and how it effects both women (obviously) and men (less obviously). It also looks more like this is often an annual event, run on an anniversary of the very first event of its kind, in America at least? There was a walk in London during June or July. There's one in Portsmouth during November, if I remember correctly.

Here is a link for anyone looking to start an event: >> The White Ribbon Campaign <<

I have to say, domestic violence is an uncomfortable subject, for me at least. And possibly one that might be a bit uncomfortable for many people, as un-PC as that notion might be. I read about it too often in the newspapers, and I consider it a heinous crime..... Better leave it at that. :angry:

Edited by FastFreddy2

You say theres going to be one in Portsmouth. Bit to close to home for me but will look out for it.

Other charities may be seeing the idea and using it. I first saw an event where everyone wore red shoes for the walk. Then another walk it was pink shoes (breaats cancer charity I think).

It's a completely ridiculous debacle to be honest.

Who amongst 'our lot' would actually want to be seen in the company of a bunch of fools teetering along in neon pink shoes? Particularly if the footage ends up on the TV news or on YouTube.

The worthiness of the event has also been seriously questioned by many - and obviously the link/association between domestic violence & high heels is pretty tenuous.

Good luck to anyone who does attend the Portsmouth event.

It's a completely ridiculous debacle to be honest.

Who amongst 'our lot' would actually want to be seen in the company of a bunch of fools teetering along in neon pink shoes?

Bit harsh.  ;)   :D

But all true. There are many things that could make a man feel more like he understood the lot of a some women. For example, hold down a full time job, look after the children when he returned from work. Feed the family, then wash and put the children to bed while the lady of the house goes down the pub with her mates, returning drunk hours later. Then him experiencing a belligerent woman waking him up for sex or supper (or both) at 1am ..... A lot more realistic. 

Walk-a-mile-in her-shoes, if it produces charitable funding for refuges for people who suffer domestic abuse, is plainly a good cause. But the media at least, make the event seem little more than a circus.  :huh:

Edit for grammar.

Edited by FastFreddy2