Sign in to follow this  
Bread Heel

The Odd Couple

I collected the ASOS “Kendra” boot this morning.

Those that have read the other thread on ASOS will know that I originally bought them in a UK12 but found the left boot a little too tight. Like many, I have one foot larger than the other - in my case a whole size.

I had an opportunity to quickly try them on this morning. I tried the left boot first (my larger foot) and although still tricky to get on due to the narrow styling, the fit was okay. Not as much difference as I thought there might be, so I did double check the size on the boot. The box definitely said UK13. On the sole of the boot “13” was imprinted, and also printed on the inside of the boot was size 13.

I tried the right boot expecting to have a little bit more room, but was surprised to find a similar fit to last time. Which is not too bad, as this is my smaller foot.

I checked the sizing on the boot and found this...

E16202F0-F75F-4005-A867-C6970497AE33.jpeg.35aa361c130adba1b091b42b3038e1dd.jpeg

In case it isn’t clear, it seems to have both 12 and 13 imprinted on the sole. 

I checked the inside of the boot...

79213CFF-BBD9-4DFC-B291-57D12DBEF11A.jpeg.7de3af44f6b18592339e033cc8a7b65a.jpeg

It looks like someone has tried rubbing out the “2”. Very odd.

I compared the boots, and although not noticeable, there is a difference when held next to each other. Difficult to show in a photo but here goes...

8CAF1787-0A9C-4D34-A63C-A7A954FB5A3A.jpeg.5d2cc4a0e5d4fb9dedce2812d5676530.jpeg

0462DDA3-E254-4F5E-B3CF-398235DBB5C7.jpeg.7a3cc985d13e7aba5abff0a9d63751f0.jpeg

There’s no difference in heel height, thankfully, so I don’t think any one would notice when they’re on.

AB7DD3B3-52BD-4A8F-93A1-7F7421077FC7.jpeg.0b351e0b4e0b8f27f548791712bac679.jpeg

Is this fate? Were these boots meant for me? Did ASOS read my post and decide to send me a larger left boot and smaller right boot?!

Part of me feels funny about having boots that aren’t a natural pair. But, they both fit and there’s no visible difference when on.

Edited by Oakeetoes

Sounds like these might have been returns and got mixed up - or perhaps somebody with different size feet ordered both sizes, cherry picked them and sent the two they didn't want back in one of the boxes.  Whatever - if it works for you great! Call it Fate

Maybe you’re right. The box also had two sets of spare tips.

Although, the double imprint on the sole does seem more of a manufacturing error.

At least I didn’t receive two left feet!

If it was somebody who deliberately swapped them over, then I thank them.

Both boots fit perfectly. Normally I’d have only one foot that felt good, and would have to put up with the other either being squished in or go up a size and leave the other with too much room.

I tried them on with skinny jeans this afternoon and they look great. So good, in fact, I wanted to fling open the front door and take a stroll down the street. But the world’s not ready for that.

I’ve clearly got skinnier legs than the ASOS model, so there is a little room inside the boot shaft, but not much. They fitted over the jeans fine.

I did have a stroll indoors, and on carpet they were a breeze to walk in. I mentioned before that the heel measures 4 7/8”. They are set back but with a subtle curve, meaning the heel tip falls just inside the back of the boot.

Edited by Oakeetoes

Sounds like a very nice pair of boots. The tricky think with store bought otk boots is getting the fit tight on the calves and leg. If you’ve got that right, that’s brilliant! They would look great with skinny jeans

Well done!  I hope we can see a pic of you wearing them.   Are they a narrow fit?   The wide-fitting version is not available in the large sizes. 

My guess is that the right boot was a 12 but got accidentally marked with both 12 and 13 and was then wrongly treated as a 13 when paired with a 13 left.   But, as you say, you have what fits you!   

I am reminded of a radio sketch from the 1950s (Ron and Eth in 'The Glums') where Eth asks Ron why he is wearing one black shoe and one white shoe when they are out dancing,   Ron replies that he learned to dance out of a book, and (after a long pause) adds 'I've got another pair like this at home'.   Perhaps Ron has your counterpart boots?

• Haha 1

On 9/19/2020 at 9:19 PM, Puffer said:

Well done!  I hope we can see a pic of you wearing them.   Are they a narrow fit?   The wide-fitting version is not available in the large sizes. 

My guess is that the right boot was a 12 but got accidentally marked with both 12 and 13 and was then wrongly treated as a 13 when paired with a 13 left.   But, as you say, you have what fits you!   

I am reminded of a radio sketch from the 1950s (Ron and Eth in 'The Glums') where Eth asks Ron why he is wearing one black shoe and one white shoe when they are out dancing,   Ron replies that he learned to dance out of a book, and (after a long pause) adds 'I've got another pair like this at home'.   Perhaps Ron has your counterpart boots?

"Strange things happen at sea."    

I would be at all surprised if there had been a partial swap. I remember some years ago shopping for suits in M+S. There was a time when jackets and trousers were sold separately. Made sense to me. On this occasion, there was no choice. You bought the jacket to suit and maybe got lucky with the trousers. I didn't, and needed a smaller size. I bought two jackets, that came with two trousers. The jacket that went back, didn't go back with the trousers it came with. Sounds like someone may have done something similar with the Kendra boots.

I bought some, I think earlier in the year (or late last year - which seems more likely). I ordered an 8, and go sent a 7. I will have a photo of me wearing them somewhere .... But they went back because they weren't comfortable being a size too small. I sometimes get away with a smaller size, but not these boots. I would have reordered them in an 8, but I guess at the time I either wasn't feeling wealthy enough to own them, or thought they'd get any use.

I've just found the pictures..... Lovely shaped heel, and felt nice (high) to wear. But every so slightly baggy on the leg. Not swimming around me, but not tight or close to it either. Ho-hum.

Them's very slim legs. 

Obviously owned by a vegan basketball player. ;) :D

Mine, not so much .....

749704274_KendraDec2019.jpg.9fb29e047a811108f5bcb0c47c459e14.jpg

But still 'baggy' around the calves.

Edited by FastFreddy2
  • Like 2

An interesting comparison between the two 'owner-occupiers'!   If the heel height is the same on both (a tad under 5" I believe), then the steeper gradient on Freddy's boots (size 8 I assume) is quite apparent in comparison with those of Bread Heels (12/13).   And I wonder if the shaft length varies with size?

But they look good on both of you; I'm envious!

48 minutes ago, Puffer said:

steeper gradient on Freddy's boots

Some guys (with smaller feet) get all the luck!

I would think the shaft length increases. There is a fractional difference between the 12 and 13 but that could just be coincidental. I look to have less going up over the knee than on Freddy’s, but I am 6’ 3”.

On 10/4/2020 at 9:47 AM, Puffer said:

An interesting comparison between the two 'owner-occupiers'!   If the heel height is the same on both (a tad under 5" I believe), then the steeper gradient on Freddy's boots (size 8 I assume) is quite apparent in comparison with those of Bread Heels (12/13).   

It was a UK7. I'd ordered an 8 along with another pair of Steve Madden boots, but they sent a 7?? A tad too tight to keep. (I thought I'd mentioned this?)

On 10/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, Bread Heel said:

Some guys (with smaller feet) get all the luck!

I would think the shaft length increases. There is a fractional difference between the 12 and 13 but that could just be coincidental. I look to have less going up over the knee than on Freddy’s, but I am 6’ 3”.

Lets' just say I'm shorter. If ever the three of us were to  meet, even with heels, I'd still be looking up to you both. :(

The upside to that of course, I can wear a large size 7 or size 8 shoe.  The downside to that is, it means I've a large collection of shoes and boots that means I need to live until I'm 130 years old to wear them all. I hope to get as close as I can. ;) :D

I’m not sure that having a large collection counts as a downside, unless you’re referring to your bank balance! I wish I had a larger collection, or at least one with more variety. The lack of opportunity to wear them certainly would be a downside.

9 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Lets' just say I'm shorter. If ever the three of us were to  meet, even with heels, I'd still be looking up to you both. :(

I would expect you to look up to me in any case, my dear fellow, regardless of heels!  :P   And I would be looking up to Bread Heels, but only by an inch or so.

(Why does that sketch with Messrs Cleese, Barker and Corbett come so readily to mind?) 

Edited by Puffer
typo

14 hours ago, Bread Heel said:

I’m not sure that having a large collection counts as a downside, unless you’re referring to your bank balance! I wish I had a larger collection, or at least one with more variety. The lack of opportunity to wear them certainly would be a downside.

It is. I have some attractive and comfortable courts (including red patents) I would love to wear out. (B+Q, Screwfix, all the trendy places) but 'propriety' and Covid prevents any adventures of that nature at the moment.

Last Friday evening, I went to one of my old haunts, Westfield White City. Mindful anyone in the centre is supposed to wear a mask, LEGALLY, anyone in a shop is supposed to...  I was annoyed at how many didn't bother. Predominantly younger folk, and those who looked like they might have ethnic backgrounds. What didn't make things any better, was that may shops closed even earlier than usual. 

13 hours ago, Puffer said:

I would expect you to look up to me in any case, my dear fellow, regardless of heels!  :P   And I would be looking up to Bread Heels, but only by an inch or so.

(Why does that sketch with Messrs Cleese, Barker and Corbett come so readily to mind?) 

"I know my place....." ;) :D