Sign in to follow this  
Shyheels

Reclaiming Knee Boots For Men

I thought I would generate a new thread as part of an effort to get this forum moving again. I've spent the past three weeks in South America on assignment (a couple days yet to go) and have been mainly up in some jungle-clad hills along a steamy coast in the wet season. I've been wearing a pair of classic lace-up motorcycle dispatch rider boots (WWI-era) over my jeans every day. To the extent I receive comments at all, they have been overwhelmingly positive - not a single bad word actually. And the practicality of these boots on an assignment like this so easy to see. My trousers stay clean, the boots are very sturdy and I never get chigger bites on my ankles. And they look good when I am in town. And as these boots were also custom made, they were extremely comfortable to wear on long days - even given the hot weather.

Now, I'm not likely to have to worry about chigger bites in England, by the practicality of a pair of knee boots would be the same. I've really appreciated the warmth around my ankles and knees when I've worn my other brown knee boots around town back home - and again without ever drawing so much as praised eyebrow.

I am certain that knee boots for men is a look that can be retrieved with little risk or effort. Especially as these have low heels - nothing threatening.

Edited by Shyheels

It would make sense this time of year to wear knee high boots but men don.t.  This year has been bad with the rain every day so far. Like you say being able to keep the bottoms of your jeans dry has got to be a good thing.

I wonder if it isn't a chicken and egg situation. It is very difficult if not impossible to buy knee boots or OTK boots in men's sizes. And at any rate none of the knee boots in the shops are marketed to men and labels are a significant barrier. If tall boots were more widely available in men's sizings, and marketed accordingly, I would bet the take up would be high - especially for boots without heels or with low "standard" heels.

The difference in warmth, comfort, dryness and styling is quite marked - noticeable and appreciated the first time one wears them. And few passers-by notice this break with traditional gendered styling and even fewer comment - the only comments I had were "like your boots". 

I really think this is a style that could e reclaimed.

Price and quality must be considerations too.   Would many otherwise interested men buy knee boots if they were either of cheapish synthetic material (and of dubious wearing quality) or better made in leather and probably costing well in excess of £100-150?   Aside from a few young trendy fashionistas, few men buy cheap disposable clothing or footwear and a significant 'investment' in a pair of longer boots is unlikely to be anything but a considered and occasional purchase.   OK, one might well say that such an investment purchase is just that - something that will last for several years and justify the initial outlay - but the volume of such business is unlikely to be attractive to many suppliers.   

Well, ordinary people buy hiking boots quite regularly - well made, nice looking, and very often worn in urban environments. I wouldn't see this as anything different. Decent hiking boots will set you back well over £150. So would a pair of Doc Martens. The market is there. Easily.