Sign in to follow this  
heelman500

Westfield In Heels

I had a wander out to Westfield (White City) this afternoon, primarily to see what Barratts had to offer.

Barratts were extremely disappointing in that they had no large sizes in stock:-(

So I was pleasantly surprised to find that Next had a fair stock of size 43 wide. I was wearing a pair of 4 inch black suede courts (from Brantano) with a pair of knee highs! They were pretty inconspicuos under my jeans, unless you were very observant.

I went to check out New Look and found a pair of Black wedges with a beige sole, which go extremely well with jeans. After I had finished trying them on a put my courts back on, I noticed a young lady watching me with a curious look on her face, when she saw me notice her, she just smiled and turned back to her friends without do much as a comment.

I changed into my new wedges outside the store, and finished my wander about in them. They are a tad higher than I usually wear, but are very discreet.

I finished with a try on of a size 9 Nine West stiletto in Debenham. On the positive, they fit well and would be reasonably discreet, on the negative they were still £65 from £95.

Maybe if they were cheaper I would have bought them.

I was also watched by a lady whilst trying these on, also without a comment.

Westfield was quite busy this afternoon, and I went pretty unnoticed! Apart from one guy (16-18 ish) with his girlfriend. The poor lad didnt know what to make of my footwear.

Good to hear you had an uneventful time, and tried on some heels too. Takes a lot of courage to do so with an audience, more than I have. Any pics to share?

Sorry Shyguy I was solo today and didnt get any pics!

And I must say that the ladies of West London were predominantly in flats today. Though I saw a couple of young ladies trying on going out herls in Newlook..... Pretty nice but only had my phone

Well, dead jealous about this! :D

Sounds like you had a really good time. I have to say, Westfield is a place I would like to try high [thin] heels as the flooring is so smooth I wouldn't need to worry about heels getting chewed up in holes/grates/cracks. I just don't own 'uber' high/elegant heels in anything other than stiletto's. Maybe as block heels get more and more popular .... ;)

As for you actually buying more heels ...... ;) The collection has stopped shrinking then? :D

Reason for edit: Typo.

Edited by FastFreddy2

It was more the price than the collection size, though they are REALLY nice heels!

I just cant justify £65 on shoes I might wear infrequently.

You never know I may check my local Debenhams

I finished with a try on of a size 9 Nine West stiletto in Debenham. On the positive, they fit well and would be reasonably discreet, on the negative they were still £65 from £95.

Maybe if they were cheaper I would have bought them.

Okay, I intrigued/interested ..... Any chance of a link? ;)

It was more the price than the collection size, though they are REALLY nice heels!

I just cant justify £65 on shoes I might wear infrequently.

Fair comment. I wish I had started being that sensible, around 4 years ago. I'd be at least £1000 better of, though might only own 10 pairs of boots..... :huh:

Older .... Wiser. :D

http://m.debenhams.c...mb=Home~txtwell

Heres a link to those heels...... They had about 6 pairs in various sizes up to 9 on display

Bit girly? ;):P:D

I've all but given up with court shoes. I struggle to keep most on my feet, and don't go anywhere I can wear them. I've currently 3 styles in my collection.

That's two pairs from Select, [about £10 each] that I think have the perfect height and shoe shape. And the two styles >> here << from Schuh and ALDO. Being realistic, I don't know if the Schuh versions will still be here in a year, the instep rise is so short, I still struggle to wear them. The ALDO ones, I will never sell. Both the Schuh and ALDO shoes had a non-sale starting price of £50 each.

I would agree about the Nine West shoes. Expensive even at the reduced price of £65 - if you don't get the wear out of them. :( I would watch the Kurt Geiger web site though. Nine West sale items get radically reduced as the stores runs dry. A pair of boots I was tempted with last year starting at £165, crept down to £65 in the store sales. The last pair in stock on-line at KG went for either £39 (or £35) which was when they had one pair of size 7 in stock, to £19 which is when they might have sold that last pair. [Can't do links to KG for some reason.]

Mrs Freddy reports 'brands' want stock recently moved into, or already in sales, to stay on the shop floor. New, full priced items are not selling, but sale stock IS moving. [Girls just can't resist a bargain, short of money or otherwise.] Expect to see further reductions. Cash-flow is important to fashion houses, and last years unsold stock is all but worthless. Making a small profit on some sales, trumps making a [theoretical] higher margin on no sales at all.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Yep Freddy,

Definitely girly.... But I like girly heels, I would wear them, if I thought that:

A. I would get away with it for the most part (Possible)

B. I would get enough use (Doubtful)

I shall keep an eye on them and possibly get a pair for the WHM in December

I shall keep an eye on them and possibly get a pair for the WHM in December

Definitely watch the Kurt Geiger web site. ;)

They seem to have stock longer than shops, and also seem to reduce prices further there. B)

Having been advised that Westfield White City is doing a deal on parking, (thank you heelman500 ;)) I am thinking to make a visit before the Olympics get started proper. Normally the venue is an expensive day out, unless you live close enough to walk there. [Olympic 'surcharging' and Transport for London price increases has almost doubled the cost of travelling into London on Public Transport with pricing almost doubling over a short space of time. ie 4 or 5 years.]

Consequently, I travel into town using my car. Westfield charges less than London Councils for their on-street parking, but at £2 and hour, even a short visit would add at least £4 to anything you do there. A day's shopping can add £16 though it's still cheaper than the £25 EACH a visit by train and tube even with fuel costs added. But why should I pay any premium at all for shopping when I can access most of the retail-shopping chain stores for (say) £5's worth of fuel in my fairly frugal car with little or no parking charges in out of town shopping centres?

The positive answer; is variety, or mix of it. It's a large place, with plenty of walking if you want it. Lots of coffee stops, and places to sit and watch the world (slowly) stroll past. The small irritation is the amount of security staff. Maybe they're needed [Westfield Stratford recently experienced a young man killed there], but it's a bit like being constantly under surveillance - which of course we are.... I suppose us shoppers are being watched wherever we shop these days, it's just a little less covert at Westfield. I expect that's intentional, an obvious presence [prevention] being better than chasing shop lifters/criminals?

Sounds good? (Though it didn't work very well at Stratford. :( )

And not so good if you are hoping to keep your 4 or 4½" heels away from anyone noticing. If there's one role that I consistently fail to hide heels from, it's security staff. I get they are paid to notice (as I have in the past), but this is a recent problem. 10 years ago, stores here in the UK didn't employ them.

I have worn my HD 4" heeled boots at WF/White City a number of times. The first visit is the only time there I noticed a member of security staff looking, a situation hard to ignore as he seemed to come back (and loiter) for a better look..... At WF/Stratford, I wore my higher ALDO boots, and as it was so busy, few got the chance to see them. [Though I know at least one person walking toward me did spot I wore heels. :unsure: ]

I'd like to wear those ALDO boots, or some with an even slimmer heel to WF/White City. Maybe the reduced priced parking will attract me enough for me visit in a more girly grade shoe? :huh::D

Edited by FastFreddy2

Well Freddy

I purchased these http://www.next.co.uk/x50306s1#829401x50 in Next at Westfield last week and spent the next hour walking (or trying to) around in them. I got the black patents nit berry..... Sorry couldnt find link to the blacks pair.

As I mentioned I had to take them back for a refund as fir some reason I just could not get on with this pair at all ( I have worn similar or higher with no problems)

As I mentioned at the first posting, I was spotted only once by a rather bemused young man, who really didn't know what to make of it!

I think that you should give some girly shoes a go...... I got away with it and it is the perfect place for very thin heels. I must say I enjoy wearing more girly heels if I am somewhere I can get away with it! The only problem with Sunday was the train ride home, though I think that I would have git away with it!

I think that you should give some girly shoes a go...... I got away with it and it is the perfect place for very thin heels. I must say I enjoy wearing more girly heels if I am somewhere I can get away with it! The only problem with Sunday was the train ride home, though I think that I would have got away with it!

Well the intent is there. ;)

Were I still getting the daily practice I was getting until Christmas 2011, or making the 3 mile hikes every other week in 2008/2009, my confidence level would be high. As it is, I'm getting into heels very infrequently these days. I'm not keen to telegraph my lack of practice by walking like I've got a double limp?

It may look okay with a girl. In fact the one wearing the River Island boots with the ultra thin heels we saw in Selfridges, couldn't walk very well in her prospective new purchase. [A situation I enjoy - girls in heels too high to walk in?] But I don't think it's a good look for men, and provides a great excuse for critics as to why men shouldn't be wearing them. :(

I believe girls have hips that roll better than mens, but it maybe they just have more practice at wearing a heel? As a general remark, older women don't like or can't wear the heels they may have in their younger days. [i have in mind a conversation Mrs Freddy had in M+S one day with two retired ladies, who made this comment to her.] Certainly when I was in my 20's, I had no trouble walking completely naturally, in 5½" heels in a size 7. I'm not as young/flexible as I used to be and I'm not getting the practice that would keep my ankles/hips flexible either. This makes me wary of parading around in higher heels. :unsure::huh:

All that aside, I won't live forever, and this isn't a dry run for the main event. If I'm going to do it, I need to do it soon. ;) Schools release the children for 5 or 6 weeks this weekend, so this Friday is looking like the best possibility for some weeks. :ph34r: (hehehe.)

My recent tooth problem is beginning to subside now I've had some treatment, so I'm beginning to feel human again. Still in some pain, but it seems to be getting better. Maybe I'll celebrate on Friday. B)

Edited by FastFreddy2

I know exactly what you mean about the practice Freddy, I was most disappointed that I couldn't walk in those River Island heels, and I am blaming the shoe style rather than my own lack of practice.

I also blame the fact that I am carry a few ;) more pounds than I would like at the momemt (Which I am trying to shift for the WHM in December - and that is another story entirely).

Though I think that when you are wearing a more "Girly" style of heel, I find that I need to adopt a more feminine gait, think almost crossing your legs as you walk, which as a man is a little more difficult! :huh:

I have managed to succeed in this eventually, though when I was at my lowest weight last year.

More importantly though is the fact that you are quite right and we are all here only the once, and it is better to have tried, even if you were not completely successful the first time than regret it when you are 80 and can no longer wear any sort of heel :blink:

I should be back in London in three weeks, and assuming Her indoors doesn't tag along, I would be quite up for a Westfield meet in a more girly style....... :D

I may be going tomorrow, during the day before schools release 'the curious and critical' little people. ;):D

This is a venue I have to be a little careful with, as a couple I know live close by, and another couple I know enjoy a browse there. Visiting in heels during school holidays could prove ...... awkward? :huh:

Fellas using a feminine gait, would be described as 'mincing'. :D Jury is out on that one. :P

While digging out the shoes I'd hoped to wear tomorrow, >> here << I was reminded why I don't wear these more often, and especially not during the day..... The have a quite vivid beige sole, which would have to attract attention from everyone blessed with even moderately good eyesight. ;) ...... (Note to self, buy some black shoe dye! <_<)

Consequently, if I find the cojones I might wear >> these << instead. At least as high, and slightly harder to wear as they have a looser fitting. :huh:

I doubt I'll get a photo, but I'll try. B)

Edited by FastFreddy2

Goodluck Freddy,

Hope you get the courage up to wear them..... I would go fir the first pair, if you wear a similar pair of jeans to the other day, I doubt that many people will notice.

Anyway Goodluck

Westfield White City is a largish shopping mall with 300+ businesses on two main floors with an upper mezzanine. The walkways are shaped around two central blocks on each floor. The upper central section and mezzanine is mostly food retail, the lower open area used for presentations and displays. See floorplan >> here <<.

As usual, my good intention to get there early proved fruitless, and arrival was close to 1pm. Lunchtime, so the car park was busy, but not full. We walked into the shopping mall with me wearing >> these <<. I was on tenterhooks, as the heels are a whisker over 4½" and I hadn't had much practice in higher heels recently....

First stop was Debenhams, a store quite close to where we left the car park. The place was MUCH busier than expected, which was a benefit I grew to realise. Also, some local schools must have finished early as there were plenty of under 15's around. :blink:

After leaving the first big store, we walked the length of the mall to House of Fraser stopping at various stores on the way, walking through The Village (designer stores) almost entering HoF from the outside of the mall. Interestingly, they had the right size and style Biba jeans I had looked for previously, but I didn't have enough money with me to buy. ;) Just as we were leaving, I spotted a woman entering the store wearing extremely high designer brand heels. It was a bad time to find I'd left my phone in the car .... :rolleyes:

Over to Marks and Spencer, another large store. I bought yet another pair of their jeans, this time in a 14 Long. [My usual M+S size is a 12, but this style seems to come up a bit smaller.] Had a good walk around and spoke to a couple of staff. I didn't notice a single person look at my footwear.

Time was cracking on, and it was time for a drink and a snack. We'd left M+S on the lower floor, and walked back toward the central eating area. The coffee shops were busy with queues, so back upstairs on the escalator to the first floor again. We ate at Pret A Manger. I tried to drag this out a bit - for two reasons. Firstly, I was quite comfortable sitting and watching the world walk past. Secondly I was waiting for the opportunity to discreetly change into the ankle boots I'd been wanting to wear there, for a couple of years. A pair identical to some I know shyguy bought a while back. >> These <<

I'd walked into the mall with an ALDO bag I'd put the second pair of boots into. A long sleeved round necked T shirt covered them, but I had hoped to make the opportunity to put them on. While sitting, we decided that as time was getting late to avoid commuter traffic, we shouldn't stay much longer. A walk to NEXT, the last large store to visit would leave us quite close to the entrance of the car park where the car was. I thought this was perfect. If people twigged my footwear, I was pretty much on a direct route to the car and safety? We left the relative serenity of the eatery.

We went back down the side of the mall we'd travelled up, rounded the corner and walked toward one of the two main pedestrian entrances in the far corner, and entered NEXT. Past the store lady greeter, and into the store, where a sale was in place. Had a good look at the shoe section where there was nothing of interest in my size, and left.

Believing we were about to leave, I tried to get my companion to take a photo of me wearing heels. It didn't go very well, but that was due to technical [camera] problems. What was slightly amusing, was me standing next to a handrail (or shop - for the second try) had many other shoppers stopping to allow the photo without them being in the frame. (Bless them.) Even with me posing with a little indiscreet heel showing, no one paid my footwear any notice?

Despite me thinking the shopping was done, a couple more shops of interest were spotted on this side of the mall, which we ventured into. Eventually we found ourselves on the ground floor again, and from there, we began walking back towards the car park entrance.

As we had walked in, (now some time ago), a 'premium grade' ice cream seller had been spotted, and ignored by me..... Not so the second time. We got an ice cream each, and sat in one of the public/busy seating areas to eat them, before the journey home. By the time we left, I'd spent longer in these >> these << than I had in >> these <<. We'd walked just about the entire mall, with stops that must have averaged out at visiting every 8th store.

In all, I had walked around one of London's premier shopping malls for over 3 hours. While I MUST have been spotted wearing high heels by adult shoppers, [and one 7 year old black kid in Barratts at least], I wasn't aware of it at any time. [baring the single Barratts incident where he was sitting close to the floor on a stool, and while he glimpsed at my shoes, he was off playing in front of a mirror immediately afterward.]

This surprised me, and I wasn't anything like as relieved to leave, as I thought I would be. My original expectation was that I'd want to leave quickly as people would be pointing, either laughing or shouting abuse. Not one bit of it. In fact if it wasn't for the fact I'd already be leaving West London too close for comfort to avoid commuter traffic, I might have been tempted to stop for another coffee. I'd only missed going into one shop I wanted to visit anyway, [Jessops the camera people,] and going there was likely to cost me £200-£300 ..... So no bad thing I was inclined to leave due to potential traffic holdups.

As a summary, remember I'd been to this place a number of times in the past wearing 4" heels, and I don't ever remember going there in flat shoes. B) Meaning this was far from my first venture there, and not my first in heels either. But it was my first visit in higher heels, and my first in a stiletto heel. I did wear the same long jeans as suggested by heelman500, and they did pretty much cover my heels most of the time. Covered nothing while I sat though! :P:D

I have priced up some black dye for the Menzies. They do need it, see: >> here << and >> here <<. They are the same height as the other two pairs worn on the day, with a heel thickness somewhere between the two. As you will see from the pictures above, the second pair I wore for at least 90 minutes while sitting and walking around, had just about the slimmest heel of any shoe I own. B)

A great venture, full of pleasant experiences. :)

Edited by FastFreddy2

Another great write up, shame about the lack of a pic of you in the mall. I guess once again it proves that people are too wrapped up in themselves to notice what anybody else is doing. Teens on the other hand are usually bored and looking to liven their day up so lucky you didn't see too many of them.

Another great write up, shame about the lack of a pic of you in the mall.

If I can get what looked like a furry picture off a Nokia 610, there might be a piccy to show. ;) I tried to email the image to myself, but the phone has not been properly set up for MMS messaging. :(

I'd chosen not to take my usual 'bridge camera' (an older Fuji) as Westfield is a privately owned venue, where photography is generally discouraged. However, I did see a 6 person group of possibly Chinese tourists, with one fella in the group using his expensive looking neck-slung SLR. With hindsight, I don't remember seeing ANY security staff there either. A completely different situation to my previous visits. With so many additional visitors expected at Westfield Stratford due to the impending Olympics, and the recent fatal incident there, Westfield management may have (prudently) chosen to redeploy their resources.

Well done Freddy,

Sounds like a perfect afternoon out at Westfield!

That second pair of boots look really nice, I could just see myself out and about in a pair like those.

I guess that most of the usual security has moved to Westfield Stratford for the next six weeks or so.

Shame about your phone but I an sure there will be plenty more opportunities to come