Sign in to follow this  
Puffer

English as she is spoke

I have a pair of almost unused thigh waders for sale (size 12/Eu47 if anyone is interested, price only £18 - ideal for fishing or pond cleaning etc) and was looking on eBay to see what the competition is.   I came across this listing for some waders from Japan:    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Shiny-Wet-Look-Rubber-Hip-Boots-waders-From-Japan-Koshin-New-Nippon-/322579382322?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Well, I suppose that most of the seller's comments and suggestions are just about understandable, but I do wonder how someone expects to sell to English-speaking people (or even Americans!) without getting a proper translation.   I am reminded of the Japanese car maker (possibly the erstwhile Datsun) whose earliest UK imports had a translated manual including such driving hint gems as: 'Beware of the grease-mud, for there lurk the skid-demon' .    Not to mention the Swiss hotelier whose booking confirmation sent to an English tourist stated that 'There is a French widow in your room which offers delightful prospects'.

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

Not to mention the Swiss hotelier whose booking confirmation sent to an English tourist stated that 'There is a French widow in your room which offers delightful prospects'.

I would book there .... ;)

(More of a typo error than translation error?)

• Like 1