Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Absence?

The saying runs something like "Absence makes the heart grow fonder...."

Might be true of love, but maybe not so with me and heels. Playing Bob the Builder [uK children's programme] is keeping me from most of my usual indulgences, the worst of which [most distracting] is wearing high heels. I'm so pre-occupied with housey stuff, I've all but lost my interest in heeling. unsure.gif Suits Mrs Freddy, but is not good news for me. Moving was my idea, so I guess I'm the author of my own predicament. Doesn't make it any easier to live with though.

I noticed this situation when going into a part time job I do for about the 6th day without (i) taking heels in with me and (ii) not really missing them. Mostly because I had to be somewhere else ASAP. Today I made a point of wearing them. Felt completely normal, so I've not lost my pleasure in wearing them, just misplaced my motivation?

Mrs Freddy is away for a couple of days, so I plan to have a sneaky holiday of my own. Possibly by visiting Birmingham's Bullring shopping centre one day this week. Bit of a journey, something like 110/120 miles each way, so I hope it's worth it. I've never been, and if it's anything like as good as Cardiff, I'll be happy to make the journey. My only concern is ..... what footwear? I've not been out in anything other than my regular cowboy boots for some time, and this is likely to be a looooong day out wink.gif so it won't be the Schuh 5" stiletto's .... That said, with 100 miles between me and home, surely I should be wanting to wear the most outrageous pair of heels I'll ever wear out? Obviously, I need to find the 'motivation' I've mislaid, and quickly! biggrin.gif

It's strange that I was going to write a similar post to yours Freddy but you beat me to it. I've been busy with life in general including some diy projects around the home and haven't had the inclination to wear heels for a few weeks or more either.

I've also not missed the heeling feeling as such, and have not even bothered with heels for dog walking on the weekends which was a given for a long while. Maybe this weekend though.

A thought just popped in my head, maybe because it's summer and not really boot weather that I haven't been wearing heels as I only really have heeled boots which are wearable outdoors and nothing else. B)

A thought just popped in my head, maybe because it's summer and not really boot weather that I haven't been wearing heels as I only really have heeled boots which are wearable outdoors and nothing else. B)

You must be having warmer weather than us down here then. wink.gifbiggrin.gif Central Heating popped on over the weekend, it was so cold....

I've noticed and had it confirmed by more than one woman, that since the heat makes our feet swell, 'shoes' (including boots) become less comfortable to wear? Strappy sandals it is then? ohmy.gif

For my part, it's to do with priorities at the moment. When I was younger and interested in some sort of career/paying bills, I had little time for anything other than work. To a degree I'm back there again, though now the priority is making this 4 bed house, safe and attractive to live in. Sounds simple, but it's hard going when you're as new to serious rebuilding as I am. unsure.gif

Going to the Bullring in Birmingham tomorrow. Might even wear flats....... wacko.gif How dull? sad.gif

Well I got back into a pair of heels today for my dog walk this morning. As it was wet my boots were ideal and the change in posture helped ease a niggling pain in my back again. The dog was happy to enjoy a longer walk too :P

How was the Bullring Freddy and did you succumb to the dreaded flats?

Well I think that the change in the weather has made a difference. I put on my favourite pair of heels last night and found that my right foot was quite uncomfortable in them :( This is possibly due to being after a long shift at work but who knows. I have also allowed my heeling to subside somewhat in recent times.. possibly due to a change in my personal circumstances and maybe because I have been distracted doing other things now that summer is here.

Yes I do wear boots during the winter and find that they are quite acceptable and discreet when teamed with a pair of jeans, but not so ideal for the summer. I really must get out and try to find a pair that I like which have a reasonable heel, are good in the hot weather and still discreet enough to wear out and about.

I can distinctly feel a shopping trip coming on!.... I have rationalised my collection to those pairs that I am actually going to wear and get some use out of rather than those that I thought looked nice and were cheap in a sale!

How was the Bullring Freddy and did you succumb to the dreaded flats?

Wellllll..........

I get my usual boots ready, and unboxed a brand new pair of ALDO heels. [Mentioned elsewhere.] Had decided I wasn't going to wear flats whatever happened.

Got ready to go, then got put off by the monsoon rain that fell during the morning. Hammered it down around here for the two hours it took for me to get everything ready - including me .... But the thought of driving for at least 2 hours in heavy rain, with holdups for accidents and road works, just became so unattractive ... I didn't go. Spent the pm and evening doing plumbing work in the loft instead. [i know, really know how to live it up don't I? rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif]

I am going though.

Got maps printed up and everything. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I really must get out and try to find a pair that I like which have a reasonable heel, are good in the hot weather and still discreet enough to wear out and about.

I can distinctly feel a shopping trip coming on!....

Wanna meet at the Bullring? wink.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Wanna meet at the Bullring? wink.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

It will all depend upon the when I'm afraid. Having said that I am overdue at Mother's for a visit and will definitely let you know when I am down in London :D

I really do need to find a new pair of heels that are not excessively feminine for trips out and about, but a few items have caught my eye recenly online so you never know ;)

It will all depend upon the when I'm afraid. Having said that I am overdue at Mother's for a visit and will definitely let you know when I am down in London :D

I doubt I'll be going to the Bullring 'soon'. I'd almost decided to stay overnight, but thought the effort might be better spent somewhere closer to the coast. [ie Bournemouth or Brighton.] When I go, I'll probably go with Mrs Freddy..... She has 3 day weekends every 4 weeks, so time enough to get over 4 or 5 hours travelling in a car during one day, sandwiched around 6+ hours of shopping/browsing. [Though she's just expressed a severe lack of interest in the idea. rolleyes.gif She really does like Bluewater!]

"Non-feminine shoe" ...... That'll be the block or Cuban heel shoe (or boot) then? wink.gifbiggrin.gif Do let us know if you find something? cool.gif

I doubt I'll be going to the Bullring 'soon'. I'd almost decided to stay overnight, but thought the effort might be better spent somewhere closer to the coast. [ie Bournemouth or Brighton.] When I go, I'll probably go with Mrs Freddy..... She has 3 day weekends every 4 weeks, so time enough to get over 4 or 5 hours travelling in a car during one day, sandwiched around 6+ hours of shopping/browsing. [Though she's just expressed a severe lack of interest in the idea. rolleyes.gif She really does like Bluewater!]

"Non-feminine shoe" ...... That'll be the block or Cuban heel shoe (or boot) then? wink.gifbiggrin.gif Do let us know if you find something? cool.gif

Well I had a quick browse in New look today and found a pair of these http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/boots/lace-up-bootie_212625124 but in black not brown for £7 :) and bought them. They are nicely discreet under a pair of jeans and not so high as to draw attention to your gait whilst walking. I have also seen similar in next and will have a look next time I have a bit of time in Manchester.

Well I had a quick browse in New look today and found a pair of these http://www.newlook.c...ootie_212625124 but in black not brown for £7 :) and bought them. They are nicely discreet under a pair of jeans and not so high as to draw attention to your gait whilst walking. I have also seen similar in next and will have a look next time I have a bit of time in Manchester.

Not in the same price range, but I thought these were more discreet? Or have I taken it too far in the discreet direction? blink.gif And no size 9 either. rolleyes.gif [Duh!]

Not in the same price range, but I thought these were more discreet?

I like the look of those, will have to watch ebay and the sales for them later in the year :D

I like the look of those, will have to watch ebay and the sales for them later in the year :D

You'll be lucky. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

The size 8's are already on "low" stock status, and they're leather. blink.gif My experience of NL leather shoes is they are very resistant to discounting them. The PU shoes go on sale after 3 to 6 months, but the quality stuff ..... ? It's why I didn't hesitate with the suede wedge baseball boots marked down from £35 to £15. Gifthorse+mouth spring to mind. biggrin.gif

You'll be lucky. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

The size 8's are already on "low" stock status, and they're leather. blink.gif My experience of NL leather shoes is they are very resistant to discounting them. The PU shoes go on sale after 3 to 6 months, but the quality stuff ..... ? It's why I didn't hesitate with the suede wedge baseball boots marked down from £35 to £15. Gifthorse+mouth spring to mind. biggrin.gif

I had seen these online and as you say no size 9 :( they would definitely be an ideal pair of heels for everyday usage. Though I wouldn't necessarily go that far in discreet, as long as the shoes I am wearing are not too obvious and attract a great deal of attention I will wear something a little more feminine :)

Little did I know when writing this, the destination would be Cardiff! ..... Well, it is coastal? biggrin.gif

Now had a couple of weekends with me wearing heels, and frankly, I've succeeded in reminding myself how much I enjoy wearing them. cool.gif

And I've so many great pairs ..... My only regret is ..... I'll just never live long enough to enjoy wearing every pair.huh.gif

Seems like the heeling hiatus is continuing for most of us. I know for me it's been all boring mens shoes for a while. Until today that is, I decided it was time to bring out the heels and walk the dog again. B)

Not me.... wink.gif

Wearing a pair of ASOS 4 1/2" high patent/snakeskin ankle boots most days for at least 90 minutes, and often for more than 2 hours. In fact I noticed today the seam on the front surface has split. Not too unhappy about this. They are shiny, and therefore not very wearable in the street. Just reluctant to throw serviceable shoes. Can do it now with a clear conscience. smile.gif

I need to write up the Cardiff visit..... though not had much enthusiasm to write here recently, because I started to feel like the place had almost become my own personal blog? huh.gif

Edit: Link to piccy of boots added.

Edited by FastFreddy2

I need to write up the Cardiff visit..... though not had much enthusiasm to write here recently, because I started to feel like the place had almost become my own personal blog? huh.gif

It is all very quiet, but your postings are well received and often stimulate a discussion however brief it may be :)

Personally I have very little to offer at the moment, no shoes in the offing and a full house at the moment means the opportunity to wear heels doesn't arrive very often. :(

From the shoe buying point of view, things are a little dire. I guess a sign of the times. Fewer styles and lower quantities made because margins are thinner and sales low. ie. Folk tightening their belts..... sad.gif

That said, I did have a bit of a result with one style/pair recently, but need to write that up too.

Been a bit busy recently ..... A close family friends mother has been ill, and I've done all I can to help fill in. Sadly, she passed at the weekend, though it wasn't entirely unexpected. Maybe things will start going back into the old routine, in a week or so. Might find myself with both time and inclination to get some new threads written up. cool.gif

I´m sad to hear a close family freinds mother passed away.

About buying hew heels. Well my girlfreind and I both needs new heels for the wedding I told you about. We was thinking of some sort of stilleto heels, white. As we both shall wear light colored dresses. We haven´t desided what color to have on the dresses just yet.

We was thinking of trying white 5" stilleto pumps to this wedding. My girlfreind and me must out soon having a look for new heels. It should be fun.

Needing to make some room [unbelievably] in the new larger house .... I realised I must finally get around to selling off or giving away some of the vast Freddy shoe collection...... ohmy.gif

2 pairs gone to the great shoe graveyard ........ One of which were my 'everyday' ankle boots. [ASOS brand mentioned earlier].

3 pairs gone to help charities ......

Only about 30 pairs to photograph and get on Ebay.... biggrin.gif

Already I hit a hurdle ...... Looking to replace the ASOS boots for the part time job, I've discovered 3 pairs that function but need to be moved on. My motivation to do this just isn't great though...... blink.gif

1 pair Faith ankle boots. Leather, and sized 8, but are undoubtedly a 9. [sizing poor, so these will have to go.]

1 pair Faith ankle boots. Leather and sized 8. Good fit, but with slight platform and bit of a retro vibe to them. Older style maybe?

1 pair Next ankle boots. Leather and sized 8. Good fit, maybe even generous. Very slightly long in shape, Just not sure I like them .....

While there are reasons to move them on, I still seem to be struggling, and I need to move them on really. The whole reason for digging these out, was to find myself an 'everyday' pair of heels to keep my heel wearing habit going. cool.gif These failed the initial test so the next move should be straight forward. For some [probably blokey type] reason it isn't......

Until these are gone, I don't want to add to the query list by trawling any deeper into the collection. Stalemate? Watch this space! biggrin.gif

Sounds much like my own situation, so much happening here still that time and motivation are in short supply. Hope you enjoy your trip to Brum, I'm sure we can look forward to a full report :D

Hope you enjoy your trip to Brum, I'm sure we can look forward to a full report :D

It continues to be postponed. sad.gif

Finding time to write up the Cardiff trip also eludes me. [Though the longer it's left the less detail I'll recall.]

Got a birthday coming up, and that's going to be a day to wear heels if ever there's going to be one. wink.gif Some of my current problem is I'm spending a lot more time amongst other people who know me and my family quite well. While I'm tempted to 'blab', [as imprudent as that may subsequently be], I continue to be find having a dual taste in footwear something of a struggle on some days. blink.gif Sure I'm resolved to it, but enjoy it?

Not sure I'll ever let the cat out of the bag, but the thought of doing so provides many hours of pleasant mental fantasies for me. biggrin.gif