Sign in to follow this  
HighHeeler

Telling Or Explaining Strangers

Started this thread here 'cause it's not 'friends and family' nor 'children and siblings' from the 'coming out' section. @admin: please move this thread if I'm wrong.

Being seen more often than wanted on my so called abandoned way I started to think about what to do when someone stops by and asks about my heels...

How to describe that great feeling wearing and walking in high heels...

Telling the truth or searching for excuses...

What kind of person would I explain what... Woman or man, young or old...

How would they react...

I think I would prefer a younger woman for my first explanation, telling the truth about what a great feeling wearing of high heels could cause. I don't mean a feeling in the sexual manner like getting aroused or something like that! But wearing heels make you feel better, other, ... Ugh, it's very hard to describe!

Unlike to the younger woman I would be less open to an older man. Maybe I would search for an excuse but I'm not sure yet.

What about you? Who do you prefer if you have to tell/explain your behavior to a stranger catching you wearing your heels? What would you say to them?

cu

HighHeeler

Unlike to the younger woman I would be less open to an older man. Maybe I would search for an excuse but I'm not sure yet.

What about you? Who do you prefer if you have to tell/explain your behavior to a stranger catching you wearing your heels? What would you say to them?

cu

HighHeeler

Interesting question .....

I think if anyone were to ask me, I could only say "because it feels normal" - to me....

And this is odd, because in reality, it can't be 'normal' on any sort of level. It does feel normal, it does feel 'usual'. I've said it many times, if I'm not wearing heels, I don't feel properly 'dressed'. But how can that be?

Spiritually, I may be tempted to suggest I was a woman in a previous existance, and my interest in heels is residual characterisation from that previous life? While in reality, I think my 'soul' got stamped [imprinted] aged around 6 or 7 when exploring my mothers shoes in her wardrobe, and I liked/enjoyed what I discovered. After that, I had no choice about the matter. Mid-life crisis, [actually the critical review of my life by me] opened the door to what I wanted from what was left of my life. The rest, is history? :D

If ever I'm going to be asked why I'm wearing womans shoes, it's going to be by a child, or a fairly old person. Either one failing to recognise the usual social barriers that prevent us from approaching delicate matters with strangers.

Reason for edit: Grammar.

Edited by FastFreddy2

The people most likely to ask why are probably women. Many of them seem to complain that wearing heels hurts their feet, so they don't see why anyone would want to wear them. More people might express an opinion, but not ask why.

The people most likely to ask why are probably women. Many of them seem to complain that wearing heels hurts their feet, so they don't see why anyone would want to wear them. More people might express an opinion, but not ask why.

I think that remark is generally true, but ......

Younger female feet [18-28] seem more tolerant of discomfort, and more interested in what they look like [how they want to be seen. Long legged and sexy. ie. Good partner material.] When you've spent possibly 6 out of 7 days wearing heels and your feet are starting to indicate signs of wear 'n' tear from wearing heels so much, [corns, bunions] I think your remark becomes understandably true? I (only once) made the remark to a walking partner, that I could wear heels all day without discomfort. Her remark back was to "try the same thing for 10 hour days 5 or 6 days in a week". :D That told me!

It's becoming increasingly common in the UK, and especially true in styles I've imported from the US, that shoes and boots seem to come with padded footbeds these days. 30-35 years ago in the UK, this would have been unheard of, at least in footwear bought in High Street shops anyway. I think we men 'heelers' get the best of all worlds in this regard. We wear them for limited periods [although I'd say none of us wear them for as long or as often as we would like,] and we can be highly selective about the styles we wear. I certainly don't need to wear uncomfortable shoes or boots to finish off an outfit .....

Following on that rather 'deep' thought ..... I guess it indicates how our modern lifestyle has impinged on [latterday] fashions. Whereas us slightly older folk will remember a time when the pace of life was a little slower, a time that if you had a choice, it would often be to dress more elegantly and more fashionably over a duller practical look. I can remember having to make this sort of choice myself during the last year, and twice opting for wearing flat shoes over heels because on those two days, speed of pace was going to be the more critical aspect of my day out. Could this be another reason why men are considered 'odd' prospects for wearing heels, it effectively provides a mild handicap to their efficiency?

[No-one who knows me, is ever going to think I'd prefer effeciency over style BTW.]

If ever I'm going to be asked why I'm wearing womans shoes, it's going to be by a child, or a fairly old person. Either one failing to recognise the usual social barriers that prevent us from approaching delicate matters with strangers.

Well, my experience in life (in short 40 years B) ) is that young women are more open minded than other types of persons. So they might show more appreciation than the others maybe caused by thoughts like hurting feets caused by wearing heels. Fairly old persons have a conservative attitude towards changes or unusal things. They lived long building their meanings never wanting to change them or thing about changes. The exception proves the role as you taught me luckily :D But within my daily environment there's no exception :-(

As I said: just my experience...

Could this be another reason why men are considered 'odd' prospects for wearing heels, it effectively provides a mild handicap to their efficiency?

Hmmm, I don't think so. I work in a big office with many women often wearing high heels from about 2" to 5" - I recognize them all :D And they are very efficent! They walk very vast in their heels and boots. OK, not all jobs could be done in heels, I would never build a house in heels for example. But in my job as software engineer I could wear heels being as efficient as whe

n wearing my ordinary men's shoes. Except that I would feel much better B)

Other than my wife, I have never had a stranger ask the Why question, it is most common to receive either positive (In the majority of instances) or negative comments about wearing heels.

I have had comments about what I am wearing and it seems to me that those who notice and comment are the people who have already accepted that men can wear something different, and are just letting me know that they agree with my idea of male styling or not as the case may be.

I think that the why question is most likely to originate from the older generation as they have the ingrained sterotype of what males/females should wear and are more likely to question someone differing from the norm. (I know that my 80 year old Mother comments frequently on the "Strange" styles that she sees in the street or on the television). I could see younger children picking up on the idea, but I think that styling has become so much more liberalised that most youngsters will already have a good idea as to the why, though I dare say it wouldnt stop them passing judgement.

As it is most of the Secondary school age kids that my sister-in-law (14 going on 24) hangs around with all look pretty much the same, longish hair, skinny jeans, low heeled army boots or converse trainers and hoodies, some of the lads are out and about in make up and dying their hair, so fashion is slowly merging into a wear what you like and feel comfortable in rather than what you must wear style.

freddy as for the efficiency argument, I am inclined to agree as I know that I am a lot slower walking around in heels than without and if I were wearing heels at work, I would be more careful not to damage them!:D

Firstly, just to clarify .......

I mentioned (i) children [child under -say- 12 years] and (ii) older folk as those who would enquire directly .....

(i) Younger people do not have the fear or understanding that some personal questions are inappropriate in normal social circumstances. For example, most of us wouldn't consider asking a person with a burn on their face, how the mark got there. A child would simply (just) ask if the question occurred to them.

(ii) Again an older person [i have my 82 year old mother in mind when I write this] just wouldn't care [wouldn't be afraid of being impolite] if a question was inappropriate. Her thinking might be, if I don't ask about the burn on someones face, how will I find out?

So I'm not suggesting anyone else wouldn't want to know the answer, they just wouldn't ask. :-(

In fact no-one who knows about my heel wearing has ever asked me why ... I suppose they just [rightly] assume it's because I like wearing them. B)

Hmmm, I don't think so. I work in a big office with many women often wearing high heels from about 2" to 5" - I recognize them all :D And they are very efficent! They walk very vast in their heels and boots. OK, not all jobs could be done in heels, I would never build a house in heels for example. But in my job as software engineer I could wear heels being as efficient as whe

n wearing my ordinary men's shoes. Except that I would feel much better B)

freddy as for the efficiency argument, I am inclined to agree as I know that I am a lot slower walking around in heels than without and if I were wearing heels at work, I would be more careful not to damage them!B)

The "efficiency" remark referred to everyday life, not just a small percentage of work styles. No manual labourer could wear them at work. No tradesmen. Few walking up and down stairs would be foolhardy enough to were heels for long. [i speak from experience. :D:o ] Walking around an office could be okay of course, because staff will spend a lot of working time sitting. But as I've mentioned a number of times, I know two girls who spent their 20's and 30's in heels, have spent a good number of weeks in their late 40's and early 50's in plaster having had repair work done on their feet. :( Each operation has meant absense from the work place for between 6 and 12 weeks at a time. "M" has had 3 operations, with 6 to 8 weeks off work for each. "D" has had at least 6 operations over the past 15 years, and might be in hospital as I write, having had yet another. She has twice had pins put in her toes to help straighten them, with these pins being left in for some time. [it was so weird seeing stainless steel pins sticking out of her toes. :o ] She is away from work for 3 months when this is done ....

I've remarked recently, these girls lived in heels, and were likely wearing styles that didn't do much to look after their feet unlike more modern styles. High heels won't/can't help a business, nor a worker, keep efficient. Yes they look great. Yes they feel great ..... but there are consequences ...

So then, roller-skates ..... ;):P:D

Reason for edit: Grammar.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Walking around an office could be okay of course, because staff will spend a lot of working time sitting. But as I've mentioned a number of times, I know two girls who spent their 20's and 30's in heels, have spent a good number of weeks in their late 40's and early 50's in plaster having had repair work done on their feet. :( Each operation has meant absense from the work place for between 6 and 12 weeks at a time. "M" has had 3 operations, with 6 to 8 weeks off work for each. "D" has had at least 6 operations over the past 15 years, and might be in hospital as I write, having had yet another. She has twice had pins put in her toes to help straighten them, with these pins being left in for some time. [it was so weird seeing stainless steel pins sticking out of her toes. :o ] She is away from work for 3 months when this is done ....

I've remarked recently, these girls lived in heels, and were likely wearing styles that didn't do much to look after their feet unlike more modern styles.

Update...... ["Consequences?"]

"D" had to postpone her latest operation, but did eventually have it some 8 weeks ago. < click >

She is still unable to walk without her crutches, and will be off work for another 4 weeks. sad.gif

I've yet to photograph M's feet, but a couple of fellas off here have met her. She currently walks with a pronounced limp.

If I remember, it'll be three years ago that she had one of her bunions re-done. The hospital only gave her one crutch, so she learned to lean over on one side when she walked. It seems the op left her with some numbness in her foot too.

Last year she took a tumble and broke her wrist. There was nothing for her to stumble on, seems she just went over and landed badly. It's starting to look like the lean to her walk [having gotten used to using one side of her torso more with the single crutch] together with the numbness in her foot, may have created a 'stumble' [combination of problems] that might otherwise not have happened on any other day.

The foot numbness, and the learned [from using crutch for 8 weeks] uneven gait, has put so much pressure on one hip, it now looks like it needs replacing.

Moral to the update..... biggrin.gif

If any of you people think wearing heels full-time seems desirable, consider the potential consequences. wink.gif

P.S.

I only have the bones to the story .... But apparently "W", a slightly younger girl who I work with sometimes, got out of a taxi over Christmas wearing some fairly high heels. Seems the taxi parked a couple of inches further away from the kerb than "W" realised. She put her foot out of the vehicle to support her body weight while pushing herself out of the vehicle.

Missing the kerb, her foot landed badly on the tarmac road and the momentum of her exit accelerated. Her foot didn't move further as it was propped against the kerb, and her ankle snapped. ohmy.gif No heels for a while then ... sad.gif

Edit: Typo.

Edit #2: Sorry about the [unintended] pun. huh.gif

Edited by FastFreddy2