Sign in to follow this  
pointyboot

Storage of thighboots

Could someone suggest a method of storing thighboots other than folding them back into the box when they're not being worn? I have some older pairs that have started to crack and tear along the fold line over time. I just need a way to help the shafts maintain their shape. 

I have heard of using rolled up newspaper or lengths of plastic pipe or similar in the shafts. I need to start doing some of that sort of thing with my OTK boots. I have them standing in my wardrobe, with the shafts are folded over and that is a concern. 

51 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I have heard of using rolled up newspaper or lengths of plastic pipe or similar in the shafts. I need to start doing some of that sort of thing with my OTK boots. I have them standing in my wardrobe, with the shafts are folded over and that is a concern. 

I will probably try newspaper or some other kind of light fabric. It should help them keep their shape. 

1 minute ago, pointyboot said:

I will probably try newspaper or some other kind of light fabric. It should help them keep their shape. 

All you need is something to keep the shafts reasonably straight. 

Unfortunately (for me at least) I've no experience of the problem, so no experience of a solution. I quite like the plastic (drain) pipe idea though. When I used to (regularly) buy background paper for studio work, the cardboard cores would have been ideal. I'm not sure about newspaper, because I *think* the ink has chemicals in it that is a bit unfriendly. I have a vague recollection of waste in landfill sites producing unexpected problems .... It would seem that plastics are pretty inert. Food waste produces methane (unwelcome) and dyes/inks (newspapers) were leaching into the water table and doing unpleasant things too. As I understood at the time, no-one had expected newspaper to be a problem. 

A couple of years ago I saw long boots (otk) for sale in Zara, with the tops of the boots clipped onto a hanger? They were very straight. ;) :D Given what I saw in the sales today, it may have been a one off. Neither Zara, TopShop nor Fenwicks think suspending them is a good idea. :huh:

You could simply try a long strip of rigid board cut from a carton and creased to make a 'vee' shape (for rigidity).   Or wrap a newspaper roll in some lining paper or similar if you are worried about its chemical properties (which never did my fish and chips any harm and neither of my heads has had cause to complain either. :o)   If you have a carpet dealer or layer handy, try scrounging the long cardboard tubes used inside a carpet roll - even a bent/discarded one should yield what you need.

My rubber waders (utilitarian, not fashion footwear) hang in the shed clipped into one of Mrs P's skirt hangers.   (I'm surprised that she's let me keep the waders - surely they are too kinky and pervy for any normal male, or even me?) 

I think one potential problem with newsprint in landfill is spontaneous combustion if it is piled up and overheats - as can happen to haystacks etc.   But that would scarcely be an issue in a 'boot roll'.

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

You could simply try a long strip of rigid board cut from a carton and creased to make a 'vee' shape (for rigidity).   Or wrap a newspaper roll in some lining paper or similar if you are worried about its chemical properties (which never did my fish and chips any harm and neither of my heads has had cause to complain either:o)   If you have a carpet dealer or layer handy, try scrounging the long cardboard tubes used inside a carpet roll - even a bent/discarded one should yield what you need.

My rubber waders (utilitarian, not fashion footwear) hang in the shed clipped into one of Mrs P's skirt hangers.   (I'm surprised that she's let me keep the waders - surely they are too kinky and pervy for any normal male, or even me?) 

You with TWO smiling heads .... Now that's funny. :P :D :D

Carpet cores, perfect!

I think one potential problem with newsprint in landfill is spontaneous combustion if it is piled up and overheats - as can happen to haystacks etc.   But that would scarcely be an issue in a 'boot roll'.

• The printing industry processes roughly 2 billion pounds of ink, containing 1,900 tons of lead, every year. About half this amount will find its way into the waste stream, leaching heavy metals into the water table. Additionally, your industry is a major source of alkaline and acidic waste used to create film and clean your press equipment.

From >> here <<

It's not where I read it, but it confirms it's a problem. Maybe not inside a pair of boots, but I prefer to avoid the stuff. :) I don't need another head, though another arm might be pretty useful. ;)

What are waders anyway but rubber thigh boots. How kinky is that? :D

Edited by Shyheels

7 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

You with TWO smiling heads .... Now that's funny. :P :D :D

Who said anything about smiling?   :angry:

7 hours ago, Shyheels said:

What are waders anyway but rubber thigh boots. How kinky is that? :D

Not quite kinky enough - but better than nothing.   (I'd lend them to Freddy for when his boiler leaks but they are much too big - although he would enjoy their length on his shorter legs!)

4 minutes ago, Puffer said:

Who said anything about smiling?   :angry:

"That's funny" .... Double unlikely. :P :D

Nice - but I wonder why the dressmaker's dummy is there; surely a shoehorn would be more useful?   (Not sure if I'd want a big poof in the middle of my dressing room though. :o)