Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

PVC - Shiny clothing and shoes - big for 2017?

Being cynical, it might be true to look at any style during the last 5 years or so, and conclude there was/is always some 'retro' vibe being pushed somewhere. Always it seems to me, the 60's retro has an undertone somewhere, be it length, colour, and often a slight nod in style.

It would be true to say I missed most of the 1960's being ever-so-slightly young to realise what ground-breaking changes were happening (I'd nothing to compare it to), so it pretty much passed me by. If ever anyone wanted to point at the greatest time of social mobility, the 1960's would be the era that should be mentioned before any other.

The post-war, post austerity period saw expansion and curiosity not seen since the glory days of Prince Albert in the 19th Century. As the song went in the 60's, "the times they are a changing" and indeed they did.

If a large group of people were collected together, and they could mention one thing that made them think of the 60's, I would expect a great many would suggest PVC clothing. Yes, haircut would be in there, winkle-picker and or Chelsea boots, but many would proffer PVC. This year, 2017 is THE big year/season for PVC. It maybe that Balmain (amongst others) pushed it first, and it may even have been toward the end of last year, but mainstream designers/manufacturers/retailers have produced low cost, wearable PVC-esque clothing and shoes/boots in a very wearable material - this year. It has all the immediate benefits - shiny + vivid hues - which show off shape, but is much thinner than older similarmaterials, and is very very stretchy.  In some ways, it adequately replaces latex, at about a quarter of the cost (or less), with none of the skill needed to produce an outfit, or the level of care needed to look after it long term. While this style of material may not be particularly innovative - (I had womens outfits made for me in it 30 years ago at 'Midnight Lady' - then based in Luton), there are skin tight PVC clothing styles available in just about every high street brand, and certainly every mail order one. I am (pleasantly) surprised at how many stores currently have black shiny/patent/PVC ankle boots in their ranges this season. 

While there is already a  thread regarding shiny (PVC) leggings,  this thread is a 'style' reference to anything PVC/latex/shiny related as a fashion or style statement. I don't want to have a thread in the outfit section and a virtual duplicate in the shoes section. If there is any more 'legging' related pictures to be added, I will likely add them here. Unlike any other time when retro is exploited, this season if feels like PVC/shiny truly is. B) I am trying to buy loads of the stuff. ;) It's hard work when you're on the sort of budget I have (not much) and a body with very slim legs .... But nothing ventured .... 

Pictures and links to start following soon. :)  

Topshop is having a sale and I see several styles of PVC jeans on offer:

A midnight blue pair: https://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&langId=-1&storeId=12556&catalogId=33057&parent_categoryId=3493110&categoryId=3496096&productId=29726137

A holographic (?) pair: http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/moto-holographic-vinyl-jamie-jeans-6958941?bi=0&ps=20&Ntt=holographic vinyl

And a pair of PVC ski trousers! https://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=33057&langId=-1&productId=30612635&storeId=12556&krypto=ffHsZ5u8mgLClasIFznkiEqQSYN6iqU37qr0Z4aUHBAC3BU3Evi%2BWdU%2BZ7aHzcKte0qVBzouigoFkR3ahvXSbeYERoWB4vKk6T7siNNS3cMGum0xrlO97hGOQmeNKnXHPwlaFsDP4UibTzWwwlZiPdYu88M284IwF51D49hkgrU%3D

In the interests of keeping my 'office look' fresh and lively, I ordered a pair of the sale priced midnight blue jeans and the holographic vinyl jeans (which this morning appears be nearly entirely out of stock) I have no idea what 'holographic vinyl' jeans are going to be like, or what they mean by holographic, but I figured I'd regret it if I didn't order a pair and  find out (I can always return to store)

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I have no idea what 'holographic vinyl' jeans are going to be like, or what they mean by holographic, but I figured I'd regret it if I didn't order a pair and  find out (I can always return to store) ...

Your recent posts (including this one) suggest that we are beginning to see you 'in a different light', in more ways than one.   B)

I am an adventurer. After travelling through more than 100 countries on assignments I find that the more interesting journeys are those take inside ourselves.

I am almost "shiny leg wear" out. Unbelievably ASDA are doing some shiny leggings for £12-50 under their George brand.

5a53771e8cbc0_ASDAshinyleggings.jpg.cfd5c0d30aef78ba8c3cc966ac6be2da.jpg

I saw in River Island, some red vinyl/PVC leggings in their sale, I now wish I'd picked up, at £15 reduced from £35 (I think). I might have to go back for those....

While looking at them, Mrs Freddy asked how I was getting on with my other shiny leggings .... Had I worn them much? :(

The leggings have been removed from the RI web site, but here is a picture of the black ones.

5a537934ae5b3_RiverIslandblackvinylleggingsAW2017.thumb.jpeg.f340c9929469f8f6fcec73f79adcc754.jpeg

£15! And available in sizes up to 18 ... (In red at Brent X at least.)

That 'holographic', in shoe speak anyway, usually means reflective; like the white or yellow piping found on high viz wear. Here is a jacket with mostly holographic panels:

5a537aa15ddcd_Holographicjacket.thumb.jpg.a5f317862174618f92472a7fc8d9bb1a.jpg

And holographic shoes .... 

5a537aaf68afa_Holographicshoes.thumb.JPG.d7d22bbdfdbdfc5019527da87747c592.JPG

Reflectant black is a novel idea ... Great for when you go clubbing!

Actually, perfect for cycling. Stylish when in a coffee shop, highly visible under headlights! B)

Well, my holographic Topshop PVCs should arrive tomorrow and I can report. I bought a pair of the midnight blue PVCs too. A good look for the office for 2018...

I could look for heels to go with them, but I tend to dress down everywhere else when I wear my PVCs - jumper, colourful converse sneakers etc. 

Edited by Shyheels

I've just returned from "food shopping".

Tried to find a pair of the River Island shiny leggings to take home to try - no luck. Also went to Topshop on the off chance, and found they had some shiny PVC looking trousers for £15. (Not on web site?) Then went to New Look, and found some PU leggings for circa £5/£7 depending on which size I picked up. (Not on web site either?) I checked with T/S the trousers can be returned, but N/L I get store credit which is good for a year. 

Not sure why I'm bothering (nor was/is Mrs F) but there's 'fun' to be had in the hunt. :D

The hunt is always fun. 

Topshop seems to have pretty well sold out of PVC jeans on their website. I reckon I must have picked up the last two pair that they had. That gives me a total of four pair of PVC jeans now - probably just about enough...  

But then again...;)

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

By way of helping me decide what size to try tomorrow, I measured my waist tonight. I was shocked.

"Officially" I have banned myself from cake and treats for some time. Two weeks of freezing weather has had my appetite ramped up, with me hibernating, so no walking either. I have gained 4 inches on my waist. I have never been this big before. :o

Had a sandwich for my dinner tonight. Followed by two large slices of buttered panettone. :rolleyes: 

I bought Mrs Freddy an exercise machine for Christmas last year (her idea), not been out of the box. It will be very soon. 

I am avoiding scales and tape measures for the time being. I suspect I may have put on a couple of pounds, but it would be no more than that. My waist size is the same. No tight jeans. I have been going, intermittently, to the gym doing the holiday period and am going to amp that up a bit. Indeed my jeans have been a bit loose lately and my new PVCs are in the next size down which should not only fit but also provide me with a warning - my canary in the coal mine - should the waist start to expand! And what a nice way to do it!

Edited by Shyheels

Topshop also had a burgundy - “berry” - coloured limited edition of the PVC jeans which was sold out. The screen happened still to be open in my iPad this afternoon and when I went to close it I saw that somebody must have returned a pair - in exactly my size! I snapped it up. Don’t know whether I shall keep it or not, but I shall certainly have it to try on and can always return it if I don’t like it. Could be I will end up with four different pairs - black, hologram black, midnight blue and berry. A very boho look for my office...

I may have seen a pair of 'holographic' PVC trousers in Topshop tonight. Although my images indicate a grey/sepia colour, they were a proper black. My camera, and the way I have it set have over exposed the material, so understand these images should be black not grey. 

Image 1 of 2.

P1090159a.jpg.1a5bedc834606d7cf80d37bb0c033387.jpg

Edited by FastFreddy2

Image 2  of 2.

P1090158a.jpg.4c684bb6c17f8ecc924f6ca2a99e676f.jpg

There was a rack of black PVC trousers in the store. A couple of these 'halo' ones were there amongst the more regular styles.

I had gone to River Island at Brent X to find the red PVC pull on leggings I'd seen over the weekend. I found and bought a pair. Colour is awful, more of a dark red ochre really.

5a5571e2544c5_Redochre.jpg.b1e437d39c383f9692dd619d0f1d9cf5.jpg

Just like the colour in this header.

I'll try them for size, and if a black pair come up, I'll know I'll be safe to buy them. These are definitely going back, even at £15.

Edited by FastFreddy2

I wouldn't care for that colour either!

My midnight blue and berry coloured PVCs are expected to arrive today. Very much looking forward to them. 

The hologram ones arrived last night. I need to look over them more closely, but outside of vague iridescent she, they are not really much different than the black pair I have now. Not really certain the difference is interesting enough to make me want to keep them. If I hadn't already had the black pair, sure, but with a pair already in my overcrowded closet - they might go back...

On 10/01/2018 at 5:19 AM, Shyheels said:

I wouldn't care for that colour either!

The hologram ones arrived last night.

Did they have the 'halo' pattern on them (above), or do they have the usual smooth texture?

They appear to have styles with patterns, but the hologram ones that arrived here are smooth and black - not really a whole lot different at a glance than the standard shiny PVC, except for a subtle rainbow iridescence in the light. Quite subtle, but also unmistakable. Not so sure I will keep them.

I ordered the glitter-berry coloured pair of PVCs as well - jury's out on that one; looks a bit Elton John...

I love the midnight blue version though. A definite keeper...   

7 hours ago, Shyheels said:

They appear to have styles with patterns, but the hologram ones that arrived here are smooth and black - not really a whole lot different at a glance than the standard shiny PVC, except for a subtle rainbow iridescence in the light. Quite subtle, but also unmistakable. Not so sure I will keep them.

No good for night time use on a bicycle? ;) :D

With the weather being poor again today, there wasn't really enough light for any photography. I had hoped to do some photo's with heels (to demonstrate a 130mm heel) and the R.I. leggings. As much an excuse to test the WiFi capability of my new camera, as anything. :blink: Maybe tomorrow.... 

I look forward to the results!

Ha Ha! Yes, PVCs as nighttime cycling wear!  Actually.... :)

I do ride in darkness all the time in winter, as my usual cycling times are very early in the morning and from October to March that usually means I require a headlight for at least part, if not all, of the ride. There would be worse I dead that holographic PVCs...

On 10/01/2018 at 1:47 AM, FastFreddy2 said:

I had gone to River Island at Brent X to find the red PVC pull on leggings I'd seen over the weekend. I found and bought a pair. Colour is awful, more of a dark red ochre really.

5a5571e2544c5_Redochre.jpg.b1e437d39c383f9692dd619d0f1d9cf5.jpg

Just like the colour in this header.

I'll try them for size, and if a black pair come up, I'll know I'll be safe to buy them. These are definitely going back, even at £15.

P1000442b.thumb.jpg.3de937ede3b25050d86b8229095ff7b5.jpgP1000417b.thumb.jpg.4588bef28e345c4d89e350352d49ae78.jpg

With Office copies of Hot Chick (on left) called Hampton. (Now out of stock.)

Edited by FastFreddy2
  • Like 1

Quite striking

Not my style but the colour is better than I was expecting. 

Edited by Shyheels

I'd say I got the colour 'spot on'. In the photo it's at least one stop overexposed to bring out the shininess of the leggings.

It's one of the first taken using an android phone to control the camera. I thought when I first looked, the controls were obvious and easy. (hahaha!) The screen looked completely different the second time I started the Panasonic app today though. I need to find out how to work the thing with fully manual or aperture/shutter priority. I still need more light than I'm getting too. Using program, the aperture was as open as the lens allows, and at times I had to use 800 ISO.

There's no budget yet for studio lights, but I will need them, so I'd better start saving! :D  

15 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

Maybe it just looks better on the PVCs than in the colour sample. Sort of a blood red. 

I've added a more saturated version (though I may have overdone it a bit.)

The colour is very close to Louboutin lipstick red.