Sign in to follow this  
Shyheels

Cycling - in heels or otherwise!

Cycling seems a worthy topic - certainly it's an old favourite pastime/activity of mine. 

As discussed on the PVCs thread (see Outfit critique) revamping the 'engine' on a bicycle is a cheap and healthy alternative to costly upgrades and titanium do-dads. Have been working hard on my engine lately and noticing the results. I have never raced bicycles, nor had the least desire to, but have always looked upon cycling as a pleasurable form of escape - a chance to see the countryside in an unhurried fashion. No cycling clubs for me, just the quiet solitude of a bike ride on a quiet country lane... 

• Like 1

That's quite a romantic notion "quiet country lane" and I saw one in Kent about 5 years ago .... (Down toward Canterbury.) 

Up here in the Home Counties, there is no such thing as a quiet country lane. Car drivers have to be somewhere in the next five minutes, and van drivers should have been somewhere 5 minutes ago. The pace of life here, closely mimics that of London, with marginally less congestion. That wasn't the case 45 years ago, when most working class families struggled to own a car, and a long way off those that have a car for every adult of the household in 2017. Back then, double yellow lines in my home town were unthinkable, and "Residents Only" parking, completely unjustifiable.

That doesn't stop keen road cyclists around here though. While driving from one town to another around two weeks ago, I overtook one going in the same direction as me. Although there was a(n empty) dedicated cycle route adjacent to the road (which Mrs Freddy and I have used), the lycra bound enthusiast was on the main road, where the speed limit is 60mph. During the course of our mutual journey's, I was stopped at least twice by traffic lights, a number of roundabouts and some congestion. Although I didn't realise until journeys end, our destinations were just 300 yards apart. We arrived at the same time, over what was probably a 3 mile journey.

Fortunately, my locale is well furnished with cycle routes that do not require the use of roadway shared by motorised vehicles. And searching for a well know route (to cyclists, not me) has produced a web site dedicated to these. TfL are also doing their bit for cyclists as they are well aware, London roads can no longer support the demands of London traffic, nor can investment limitations/capacity support the needs of London commuters. 

The government also understands the need for economic and pollution reforms with regard to personal transport. Of course newer vehicles have increasingly stringent pollution legislation requirements to meet, but there has been a number of well publicised "scandals" of manufacturers thwarting tests to meet pollution limits. Without doubt, bicycles are the cleanest method of transport other than walking. That includes 'cradle to grave' of the manufacturing process, as well as 20-30 years use typical of most bicycles. I would expect just the manufacture of the smallest motorised vehicle available, creates more pollution from that one act, than 20 years use of a bicycle. 

I wonder how popular personal motorised transport would be, if public transport were free? Any capacity catered for, all electric, all free.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Down here I'm .Sussex I ride on quiet country lanes as a matter of course. Also as a matter of course I seldom ride on bike paths or shared footways - for the most part they are poorly maintained, often strewn with glass, while shared footways have more than their share of dog walkers with those long extendable leashes - accidents just waiting to happen.

For years I commuted in a big city and grew accustomed to the risks and need for confidence and assertiveness in traffic, and made sure to observe and learn every day. It doesn't make one proof against accidents, but one does learn all of the obvious dangers and develops a sense of the mood on the traffic around you.

Bicycles are not only the cleanest form of transportation, but the most efficient as well. Even in nature there is nothing that can cover ground with the efficiency of a human being in a bicycle. There is quite an interesting book on the subject written by an MIT physicist. 

Speaking of cycling - I'm out for a ride tomorrow morning.

I would propose, a bicycle is the single most useful tool in extending longevity of a human. Keeping anything close to 'healthy' is significantly more likely with exercise, and riding a bicycle puts almost no strain on skeletal or muscular form, unlike running, or any other form of mixed exercise. (Rowing might be another good one, but entry and participation nothing like as inexpensive.)

Tomorrow, I might see if I can dig out more of my cycling attire. ;)

I have quite nice cycling attire. Understated. No logos, no racing styes. Just nicely made jerseys and shorts from a fairly upscale brand. I dress well when I go for my bike rides.

Weeeeeeellllll....

Got the camera out yesterday, having found my M+S scuba leggings.

Basic cycling shorts .....

59a135f864c39_Cycling-withlycrashorts.jpg.2526d18ffc00ff61dd9519a5bf2b2672.jpg

As I ride, with additional baggy MTB style shorts (usually filled with puncture repair equipment.)

59a135f790819_Cycling-withbaggyshorts.jpg.c6ea2d4dd13504a2127f2118d6ef1b11.jpg

Plus M+S 'scuba' leggings. Very warm, ought to be lovely in winter.

59a135f9212e8_Cycling-withMSscubaleggings.jpg.42f42e3176122f3d458bce63ab8f5094.jpg

Notes on photo's:

Obviously, a little tummy sucking-in was used during the session. ;)

One or two patches of thread vein have been photoshopped out. (For vanity reasons.)

Otherwise, everything is as it appears. B)

Might add a bike picture later..... 

My cycling shorts are more the MBT type, but without the cargo pockets etc. They are touring shorts and look quite dressy in their way and presentable - handy when one is touring and being invited into people's homes (as happens more often than you might think) or if you want to enter mosques and temples. In a lot of places shorts are a no-no and so for those occasions I carry a pair of lightweight quick dry trousers in a neutral  khaki colour. But otherwise I wear fairly long, fairly dressy touring shorts.