Sign in to follow this  
Heels

Well that made me chuckle.

On the way home from work Friday night, while waiting at the traffic lights.  On the pavement were a pair of high heels just laying there.  My work mate says something like they being my shoes and I reply saying not my size. Not sure why any one would leave a pair of heels on the pavement like that. From what I could tell from the car both heels were not broken. Had I been on my own and the road not so busy i might of gone and picked them up.

Young(er) people have no idea what it's like to 'suffer' for fashion. :rolleyes: :D

In my younger days, I remember vividly, girls walking around with holes in their feet where shoes rubbed. (Had a little experience of this myself in more recent years, with scar to prove.) I don't remember girls taking shoes off their feet on a night out. Nor (again more recently) would those of us working in a bar, be happy to see anyone walking around barefoot with the potential of broken glass a constant danger. 

These days, many girls take some foldable 'pumps' (ballet shoes to us Brits), in a handbag, often for pre and post event wearing. We see at events like Ascot, Cheltenham, Aintree, women arriving wearing high heels, and only hours later their shoes are being carried around - no longer worn. I know (because I've done it a number of times), it's no great challenge to spend a day in a 4 inch heel. Even easier, if senses are somewhat muted by alcohol. Shoes are significantly more comfortable than they wear 30-40 years ago, so the 21st Century challenge isn't so great anyway. 

I'm sure there were times in the late 70's and 80's when girls very much regretted their shoe-of-choice for the evening, but as Mrs Freddy reminds me, once the heels were on, they stayed on. B) My personal experience mimics this too. In my 'fetish' days, and in more recent times, once the heels are on, they stay on. 

It always annoys me when women remove their heels! They have a choice what to wear, unlike us unless we just go for it, so if they don't like heels why wear them? Another reason for me keeping mine on is trouser length! If I wear heel-length trousers they look silly with flats.

While I'm still in rant mode, I think most women have no clue how to choose heels, let alone walk in them. They get something that doesn't fit properly, they can't walk in heels anyway, and they blame everything but themselves, and have a nice pity party with all the other heelless wonders.

• Like 1

I agree - shoes and most other garments should stay on, unless adverse weather, terrain or other environmental issues absolutely force removal.   Nothing looks worse at a 'formal' event, such as a wedding or up-market party, than seeing stylishly-dressed women going without their shoes, or men in suits without the jacket and with a tie undone.   It looks so sloppy and can be an insult to the organisers or hosts - would you really want your photo taken for posterity whilst so 'undressed'?

Fashion in general seems to favour a much more slovenly look these days - witness the badly torn jeans that are so much in vogue. Hoodies, butt-ugly shorts are also part of the look. The dressy formality of heels has no place in this. Neither does the notion of suffering for fashion or anything else.

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Fashion in general seems to favour a much more slovenly look these days - witness the badly torn jeans that are so much in vogue. Hoodies, butt-ugly shorts are also part of the look. The dressy formality of heels has no place in this. Neither does the notion of suffering for fashion or anything else.

Indeed so.   And it was noteworthy that even Albert Steptoe could, and did, dress extremely sharply when occasion required.   The fact is, nobody really bothers any more - and we are all guilty at least some of the time.