Sign in to follow this  
Shyheels

How hot before it's too warm for boots?

A thread like this was launched over on HHP and I thought I would pose the question here: how hot does it have to be before one stops wearing boots? Or, conversely, how cool is it before one resumes wearing boots in the autumn?

Speaking for myself, I would certainly say this week's 30C-plus weather did not make suede otk boots an attractive option, although I did wear my hiking boots in town. A cooler rainier day today though has me back in my favourite footwear in the office.

Might depend on the time of day too? Meaning, I might wear a sandal during a hot evening, but not during the day. I get noticed enough without actually inviting attention. ;)

I wouldn't wear any closed toe shoe in the weather we've just had at 30' Centigrade. I don't own a heeled sandal, so too much heat means no heels for me. I did try on some "gladiator" wedges some years ago when they were trendy, but didn't buy them despite the shoes being a surprisingly good fit. They would have been 'holiday' shoes, and since I don't have holidays any longer, they weren't added to the collection. Given the temperatures we've experienced over the past week, that omission may have been a mistake.

So in answer to the question .... Probably anything past 26/27 degrees would be too warm. Nothing to do with a heel, but none of my shoes have an open toe. (I've a pair on sale on Ebay, but they are not 'wearing' shoes.) 

I have work sturdy leather knee boots in the tropics on assignment. I was in a place where there were many snakes and the protection the boots offered more than compensated for their warmth in the already hot humid conditions. Indeed, some of the people around me were rather envious of my boots. 

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I have work sturdy leather knee boots in the tropics on assignment. I was in a place where there were many snakes and the protection the boots offered more than compensated for their warmth in the already hot humid conditions. Indeed, some of the people around me were rather envious of my boots. 

I was going to add something like: "Were I somewhere snakes/ticks/leeches or anything else looking to eat me was going to be found, I'd be wearing thigh length leather boots." And then I realised, unless I was to get into an aeroplane (unlikely) fly over jungle (even less likely) and survive an plane crash into that jungle (less likely still) I wouldn't be found anywhere I'd need those boots anyway..... 

There are many places in Scotland I'd like to visit, but even the midges (and probably ticks) there, are bad enough to keep me away. Another reason to prefer cooler climes. Bears and wolves are much more visible. 

This is ever-so-slightly off-topic, but not completely ....

Too hot for long trousers?

41A5197900000578-4628496-image-a-59_1498

Full story >> here <<

And "Too hot for long trousers? II"

41AA108B00000578-0-image-a-18_1498204682

Full story >> here <<

Yes, I noticed the stories about the school kids in Exeter and the French bus drivers. They all make a good point. 

My work does the me to places where tough knee-length leather boots are advisable, even in the heat. They won't help thwart crocodiles - which can also hide alarmingly well - but they work wonders against inland taipans, king brown snakes, and death adders.  

As far as "casual" heeled boots are concerned, 70°F is my time to stop wearing boots. It's when the perspiration comes into play. Makes wearing boots a little uncomfortable when it's that warm.

1 hour ago, pointyboot said:

As far as "casual" heeled boots are concerned, 70°F is my time to stop wearing boots. It's when the perspiration comes into play. Makes wearing boots a little uncomfortable when it's that warm.

We here in the UK are enjoying 0'C (32F') . 

While I have to assume OTK boots are the ones you would stop wearing 70'F or 21'C is a very enjoyable temperature for me. B)

1 hour ago, FastFreddy2 said:

We here in the UK are enjoying 0'C (32F') . 

While I have to assume OTK boots are the ones you would stop wearing 70'F or 21'C is a very enjoyable temperature for me. B)

I am referring to OTK boots, actually. Almost all of my boots are of that type. Now that you mention it, adding some knee or ankle boots to my collection would make things more comfortable in the warmer months.

2 hours ago, pointyboot said:

Now that you mention it, adding some knee or ankle boots to my collection would make things more comfortable in the warmer months.

Ankle boots are about the only style I can wear. I have skinny legs, and OTK boots that fit my legs are almost impossible to find. Last year I found a style that fitted perfectly, but the ones delivered to me had a wonky heel. I forgot to re-order before they sold out. This year I found some that fitted well. Every one of the three pairs I had delivered, had glue on the shafts. It was glue, but that's not what it looked like. All three pairs returned. I couldn't even make one good pair from the three. :rolleyes: The long boot season is coming to an end here, so another year without a long boot. :(

Edited by FastFreddy2

Better luck next season, Freddy...

I enjoy wearing my OTK boots and wear them as often as I can - which fortunately here in Britain can be quite a few months of the year. Because of my large shoe size, I had mine custom made and they fit both my feet and my legs beautifully. Cost means I cannot have lots of pairs of boots, but the couple that I have are very nice indeed. When it gets to about 20C (68F) though it is a bit warm tall boots. I would love to find some interesting ankle boots in my size, but so far I have had no luck. The ankle boot season is opening up but it looks like yet another year without a stylish ankle boot...:( :)