Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Shaving

This is something just about every member here has to deal with ....

I started shaving late on, with some parts of my cheeks missing thicker 'beard' hair altogether. Probably shaved once every other day, maybe every third day before I was around 18? Didn't like it, still don't. Given the opportunity, I'd have every hair on my body removed except eyebrows and eyelashes. Nature is taking care of the stuff on my head .... Sadly the beech is sending it to all places I want it even less. Top of my arms, around my ears .... I can practically grow a beard out of my nose these days...

Fortunately for me, electric shavers exists, and I use nothing else on my face, nor have done for quite some time.... Doesn't give me what some would know as a close shave, (though I have cut my lip once or twice) but means I don't remove the upper layer of my epidermis when I shave. My face still doesn't like being shaved, but I'm not big on beards either, trendy or otherwise. I shave my face under sufferance.

I've mentioned several times in the past, I like to shave my legs. I do this for a number of reasons, the main one being I don't like to seeing my legs if they look like I swapped them with a gorilla. I tend to grow thin curly hair on my legs, that might be typical, but mine grows long. Were I more dexterous, I might even be able to decorate my legs with plaits. I'd like to trim them more than once a year, but my working average over the last 5 is about that, once a year and usually in the Spring. So in keeping with a 6 or 7 year tradition, I gave my hairy legs a close shave with a razor last night.

It may be I'll have the blood cleared up later this morning.... I'm sure this is a job best done by someone else while I watch, but so far, no volunteers...  Actually, I didn't do as badly as usual, with only the one artery cut, so bandages on the one leg this year. Mrs Freddy doesn't know how I manage to get into this 'blood-letting' exercise armed with a "safety" razor because she doesn't. Perhaps I should be ashamed to admit it, but I just haven't had as much practice so haven't developed the same skill level. Plus I (historically) had a natural aversion to razors, in whatever form they take.

Last year I used some hair removal cream. It didn't go too badly, but Thames Water needed a call out to unblock the sewer further down the road. They are still trying to find the culprit. They did knock at my door, but on seeing my grey hair, knew immediately the black bushy stuff clogging the sewer couldn't be down to me. Fortunately I was dressed at the time, or the game would have been up.

Not that the cream didn't affect my skin. On the label, I'm told it clearly says to "wash off if burning sensation is experienced". Men don't read User Instructions (I'm pretty sure we're not allowed) so I got a small patch of skin 'angry' through trying the hair removal cream. What might not have helped is that this stuff is a bit old. Not quite Victorian (we threw that away when we found there were adverse effects to the lime ingredients) but the bottle has a picture of a WWII bomber on it, but no date? Time to throw it away too perhaps. Maybe after I use it again next year...

My legs are currently, pretty much hairless. Bloodied, but hairless. Brings a peculiar sensation to my legs while wearing leggings, which I always do unless we are in the height of summer. Not entirely unpleasant I would say, but currently 'peculiar'. I guess it's a sensation women take for granted if they wear hose or leggings. Rather like us men when get to touch a face that hasn't needed shaving to appear soft and smooth. Just like a ladies face should be. ;) 

Of legs, perhaps. 

I give the ole face a bit of a clean up every week or so, going with a slightly scruffy look for the most part.

I'd love to learn to use a straight razor properly. 

Anyone know how to do that? Had experience?

Edited by Shyheels

I hadn't meant to mean only legs. Though if ever challenged about my (now) naked or stubbly legs, I cite "cycling" and potential injury. Cuts and scraps are not nice when full of hair (as well as mud and grit). Though my legs get so hairy, there could be an issue with wind resistance. ;)

I've met quite a lot of the people who have joined here, or responded. I don't remember any of them having a beard, so we all might have experience or tips for shaving their face (and maybe legs). Mrs Freddy swears by an epilator for her legs. Has apparently thinned any leg hair, and has made keeping her legs hair free easier over the years. I am tempted to invest, but would prefer a less painful laser. Epilators probably work best, along with wax as they (apparently) go below the epidermis to tug out the hair. I've tried it, and shaving is much less of challenge on the pain front. I'm told it gets easier over time. If I'm only de-hairing my legs once or twice a year, I'm never going to get past that initial screaming encounter.

As to face-hair, I almost never shave two days running. It's been some time since I needed to, and my face doesn't enjoy it. I try to help toughen it up with after-shave, but I tend to find that experience painful too. I like to think I'm not a wimp, but I'm not good on hurting myself unnecessarily.

Edited by FastFreddy2

That's one of the reasons why I go for the slightly scruffy look - the skin on my face does not respond well to shaving.

I couldn't grow a beard in a million years. A rough goatee would be the best I could possibly manage. I have tried a couple of time and it wasn't pretty...

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I couldn't grow a beard in a million years. A rough goatee would be the best I could possibly manage. I have tried a couple of time and it wasn't pretty...

I can do better. If my hair had been just a little bit curlier, when I grew a "beard" I could easily be mistaken for Peter Sutcliffe. If there was any doubt, a work colleague very kindly pointed it out to me as to remove that doubt. I remember it well. An older fellow ..... First 'pass' was something like .... "You remind me of someone....." A week later, "Peter Sutcliffe". If he had said Charles Manson, I wouldn't have been surprised either. I've no family in Yorkshire, and only an estranged Auntie (I hope) in Chicago so no claim to any family likeness. As I've grown older, there is less chance of this being possible, unless I wore a wig.

What finally did for my 'designer stubble' look, was another colleague, this time a younger woman, telling me my half beard put years on me. Not allowed it to get past a running maximum of 5 days growth since. ;)

I too would like the opportunity to learn how to use what I know as a 'cut-throat' razor. Used to see them used all the time when I went to the barbers as a child. I always worried about 'slips' so never thought to get taught. The throat isn't well protected against mishaps after all.

I do have a cut-throat razor (inherited from grandfather, I think) but have never used it for shaving and find the concept rather disturbing - one slip and it's all over.   I too remember them being used at the barbers, in my case to remove the long hairs from the back of the neck after the haircut was completed (and before the anaesthetic wore off).   As I haven't been to the barber for several years - my wife is retained for my bi-monthly trim - I don't know if cut-throats are still in use ('elf-'n'-safety and all that crap) but I guess so.   And I suppose I should be grateful that I still have a full head of hair, as did dad and grandad well into old age.   I am not otherwise notably hirsute and glad of that.

I too find shaving (face only) something of a bore and often go two or three days without, although it is then needed if I am to look reasonably respectable.   I've never had a beard, or attempted to cultivate one, and doubt it would be very successful as there are a few bald spots in the designated foliage area.   A moustache would be achievable but has again been avoided so far, even though the paternal ancestors all sported one.

9 hours ago, Puffer said:

A moustache would be achievable but has again been avoided so far, even though the paternal ancestors all sported one.

Now, that brings back memories.... "Hey, Miguel" I wonder if I have a photo? 

8 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Now, that brings back memories.... "Hey, Miguel" I wonder if I have a photo? 

¿Qué?

• Like 1