Sign in to follow this  
Shyheels

The joys of OTK boots

Yes, OTK boots are a hot fashion item - but in suede or fabric or calf leather. I've not ever seen anybody strutting their stuff down the high street in PVC boots. PVC jeans, yes, but not boots. It could be that they appear at clubs etc. Places the like of I do not go! I do see a lot of mainstream/high street OTK boots worn around though. 

I don't own any PVC boots, or indeed anything PVC other than my much-loved pair of PVC Topshop jeans. 

Agreed: combining PVC boots with PVC jeans would indeed put one squarely in the fetish corner or else, as you say, make one a very high octane pun rocker! 

I am obliged for the clarifications, Shyheels, and respect your obviously thoughtful and structured mode of dress.   For the avoidance of doubt, I was not advocating that you should wear PVC jeans and PVC thigh boots together - perish the thought - only that I could envisage little obvious difference in appearance if 'shiny legs' were the principal object.   It is interesting too that you regard your wearing of your OTK boots as 'fashionable' when we both know that long boots are scarcely common street-wear for a man at the present day.   Fashionable for women, certainly, and I sincerely hope that you are a trend-setter for men too.

Your statement that you are '... in no way being judgemental about anyone who does like their fetish/dominatrix gear or wearing PVC boots in the bedroom - each to his own and more power to their elbows'  conjures up some additional images; I am reliably informed that some people enjoy wearing long PVC gloves too.   But, that's enough excitement for one day ...

' .

You're quite right. When I use the term "fashionable" to describe my style of OTK boots, I am using the adjective in a generic sense - being well aware that OTK boots, or indeed even any boots above low-ankle height, have not been fashionable for men in decades.  I use 'fashionable' in opposition to 'fetish' as I wish to make clear my interest and purpose in wearing my boots and I can think of no other descriptive that works quite as well. 

Yes, PVC gloves, PVC corsets, PVC everything in some people's worlds. In mine there is just the jeans, and a High Street variety at that.

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

Yes, PVC gloves, PVC corsets, PVC everything in some people's worlds. 

I think I need to have a lie down ..... Waaaay too much excitement for one day .... :wacko:

16 hours ago, Shyheels said:

You're quite right. When I use the term "fashionable" to describe my style of OTK boots, I am using the adjective in a generic sense - being well aware that OTK boots, or indeed even any boots above low-ankle height, have not been fashionable for men in decades.  I use 'fashionable' in opposition to 'fetish' as I wish to make clear my interest and purpose in wearing my boots and I can think of no other descriptive that works quite as well. 

As 'fashionable' and its immediate synonyms imply that the look or garment is established, perhaps 'stylish' would be a better self-description of your intended look.   You see yourself (modestly and justifiably) as a trendsetter - and maybe en route to becoming an icon!   Given your profession, is there not scope to take some discreet selfies and submit illustrated articles to the right publications?   (More immediately, could we see a below-the-waist pic of you in your boots?)

I am better behind a camera than in front of it...

Stylish, modish - all workable adjectives. 

Work is slow at the moment but when things are gong along nicely I could, in theory, get pictures from some of the world's most remote places 

I think it fair to describe fashion and fetish as two very distinct places on the 'dressing' scale.

While some might not agree, "fashion" to me isn't only what is trending at the moment. It's about interpreting what is attractive for the wearer. For example (and I'm a great one for benchmarking my conclusions) the 'fashion bloggers' on social media are doing exactly that. Many aren't reporting about what people are wearing yesterday, nor maybe today, but throwing ideas into clothing assemblies that generate looks that might be worn tomorrow. Those with many followers, I assume to be those who predict - or assemble well, complete outfits that enhance both the clothing and the wearer. Successful bloggers might be described as 'trendsetters' along with stylists used in some of the better fashion mags. (I'm struggling to think of one, though the names I could of used 30 years ago are still around.)

I think "we" might fall into the 'alternative' genre, rather than trendsetting, and are a long way off mainstream. Not least because our look, generally, doesn't get published anywhere to get pushed into a trend. I had thought I might 'out' myself on a morning TV show. I'm absolutely sure they'd welcome a man-wearing-heels in a fashion segment. But how to get Pandora back into the box after the show? A LOT of men do wear heels though. I must have sold getting on for 100 pairs over the years, and well over half of those went to men. (And I suspect some of the names I'm sending to, are the alter-ego names of those who like to dress as women.) It's some of the reason I don't understand why men and heels/boots are not more of a mainstream fashion item?

32 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I think it fair to describe fashion and fetish as two very distinct places on the 'dressing' scale.

While some might not agree, "fashion" to me isn't only what is trending at the moment. It's about interpreting what is attractive for the wearer. For example (and I'm a great one for benchmarking my conclusions) the 'fashion bloggers' on social media are doing exactly that. Many aren't reporting about what people are wearing yesterday, nor maybe today, but throwing ideas into clothing assemblies that generate looks that might be worn tomorrow. Those with many followers, I assume to be those who predict - or assemble well, complete outfits that enhance both the clothing and the wearer. Successful bloggers might be described as 'trendsetters' along with stylists used in some of the better fashion mags. (I'm struggling to think of one, though the names I could of used 30 years ago are still around.)

I think "we" might fall into the 'alternative' genre, rather than trendsetting, and are a long way off mainstream. Not least because our look, generally, doesn't get published anywhere to get pushed into a trend. I had thought I might 'out' myself on a morning TV show. I'm absolutely sure they'd welcome a man-wearing-heels in a fashion segment. But how to get Pandora back into the box after the show? A LOT of men do wear heels though. I must have sold getting on for 100 pairs over the years, and well over half of those went to men. (And I suspect some of the names I'm sending to, are the alter-ego names of those who like to dress as women.) It's some of the reason I don't understand why men and heels/boots are not more of a mainstream fashion item?

I totally agree with you there, Freddie, in wondering why heels/boots are not more mainstream. To be sure you read articles every now and then that suggest heels/boots are going to be the next thing in male fashion, but these grand visions seldom get off the catwalk or the glossy pages of a style mag - in part, I suspect, because the looks presented are so androgynous. And that is not a look that is going to appeal to the mainstream.

I can understand why stilettos will not make it in men's fashion - they were designed specifically for women; they were never part of the males fashion scene. But chunky heels certainly were, and tall boots as well. It does seem to be the case that once something has gone over to the distaff side of the shop, however masculine it might once have been, it is never coming back.

53 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I totally agree with you there, Freddie, in wondering why heels/boots are not more mainstream. To be sure you read articles every now and then that suggest heels/boots are going to be the next thing in male fashion, but these grand visions seldom get off the catwalk or the glossy pages of a style mag - in part, I suspect, because the looks presented are so androgynous. And that is not a look that is going to appeal to the mainstream.

I can understand why stilettos will not make it in men's fashion - they were designed specifically for women; they were never part of the males fashion scene. But chunky heels certainly were, and tall boots as well. It does seem to be the case that once something has gone over to the distaff side of the shop, however masculine it might once have been, it is never coming back.

Aside from agreeing that male heels and boots should be both acceptable and mainstream, I can't really contribute much to a discussion on what is, might become or should be 'fashionable'.   I have never really understood the 'herd instinct' which encourages - indeed requires - people (particularly women) to adopt certain modes of dress, and then drop them in favour of something different.   Of course, many of these fashions will be attractive and appealing and rightly become popular - only to be 'declared' outmoded even though they have their entrenched adherents who do not want to change but feel under peer pressure etc to do so.    Stiletto heels provide an excellent example - very widely adopted in the late 50s and very reluctantly abandoned by many (but not all) in the mid-60s, as much because they became hard to get rather than because they lacked continuing appeal in comparison with alternatives.

As to women stealing male fashions, there are certainly instances of this where the item is effectively lost to men forever.   But not always - chunky, flat oxford or brogue shoes have become a female fashion (to my great regret) but, alas, are still a mainstay of boring formal menswear.   I often wish they would simply disappear from the planet, leaving the way clear for all genders to wear something more stylish and adventurous.   (That said, I welcome the female adoption of both loafers and 'Chelsea boots', which fortunately have not been lost to men and are very suitable (with or without heels) as unisex apparel.) 

On 23/03/2017 at 11:19 AM, Shyheels said:

Yes, OTK boots are a hot fashion item - but in suede or fabric or calf leather. I've not ever seen anybody strutting their stuff down the high street in PVC boots. PVC jeans, yes, but not boots. It could be that they appear at clubs etc. Places the like of I do not go! I do see a lot of mainstream/high street OTK boots worn around though. 

If the Kardashians (and their like) get their way ....

58ea004fe9c06_SerayahMcNeillatFurous8premiereApril2017.thumb.jpg.b58da2e16c581186b38680347abd4311.jpg

58ea00896dfec_JuneAmbrose-atFurious8premiereApril2017.jpg.931b569e1b544610751517363868da96.jpg

And many more 'interesting' outfits seen at the Furious 8 premiere   >> here <<

It's a fashion trend that's arrived 30 years too late to be useful to me, unless I suddenly find myself extremely wealthy, or extremely famous.

Or join a 'reality show' that often has nothing to do with any reality I know ...

58ea01963531b_CharlotteDawson-April2017.thumb.jpg.d62572c591cf6aa6cf827c2710709c09.jpg

Charlotte Dawson, who I believe is the daughter of the late/great Les. 

Ah, yes. Well, the Kardashians....'nuff said!  :)

But those are also what would generally be regarded as thigh boots - although even there one rarely sees PVC versions worn in public. Although how "public" a celebrity venue is would be a matter of debate - paparazzi are there, of course, but no garlic-and-onions plebs.

I'm not really sure the legwear on that last photo qualifies as boots, more like a series of straps running up a thigh!

11 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

58ea01963531b_CharlotteDawson-April2017.thumb.jpg.d62572c591cf6aa6cf827c2710709c09.jpg

Charlotte Dawson, who I believe is the daughter of the late/great Les. 

If she is Les's daughter, I can see that she has inherited his gurning ability!

Unlike those slinky boots in the photos above, my heavy suede otk boots are providing much warmth and comfort as I sit and write on these chilly spring days. Such boots really ought to be more mainstream wear for us guys....