Sign in to follow this  
Shyheels

The joys of OTK boots

As a middle aged guy with a creaky back, having had some serious disc troubles in my time, I am really coming to appreciate my love of pull-on OTK boots, especially in the early mornings when the back has not properly warmed up and putting on cycling shoes or hiking boots - let alone tying laces  - is painful.  That goodness for tall pull-on boots. From a seated position, one merely holds the top of your boot between thumb and forefinger, tosses the main body of the boot out in front of you, then slide your foot down the long shaft and into the footbed. Repeat with the other boot. Then stand up. You're done. Good to go. No painful bending and lacing. Perfect.

I am sensing a growing market for OTK boots among us ageing baby boomers, of both sexes.    

OTK boots seem to be more popular (or at least as popular) as any other type of shoe there is. I could understand girls wearing them so much if they had legs with varicose veins or thread-veins all over their legs .... Or a creaky back. but none of this is likely. So why the interest, and why the interest with OTK boots that have open toes? A contraction in purpose surely?

Recently, I FINALLY found a style of OTK that actually fitted, AND came really high. In black 'faux' suede with 5 inch heel. Might have been made for me, but the heel on one boot wasn't vertical. Returned, an outcome I will probably live to regret. No pictures, sorry. 

Yes, indeed, OTK boots are extremely fashionable right now. I suspect at some level they owe their popularity to the hint of raffishness they offer -  a little more daring than ordinary knee boots but without the dreaded Vivian effect of the thigh boot. A naughty-but-nice median, especially when in softer materials like suede and in greys or earth tones. Wearable anywhere.

Why any boots have open toes is a mystery to me - and not one I am the least interested in solving. I'd prefer they just vanished from view. No sense and not very appealing - a double whammy.    

I have a couple of pair of OTK boots - one in dark brown suede, one in dark grey suede, both pull-on styles with flattish heels. I wear them a lot, and not just for their ease in getting them on, although that is a big plus in my book. I have plans to get yet another pair, in soft black calf. Very nice looking and useful boots, these over-the-knee styles..  

• Like 1

We have to be a bit careful with terminology here.   By definition, the thigh starts just above the kneecap so any OTK boot is a 'thigh boot'.   When someone refers to an 'OTK boot' without further description, I assume that it doesn't reach much above the kneecap, whereas a (true) thigh boot is noticeably longer.   The ultimate is a 'crotch boot', which speaks for itself, and its variant the 'chap boot' which fastens in some suitable way to a belt.

Perhaps Shyheels can tell us how high his boots come - I'm guessing not much above the knee as he contrasts them with thigh boots   And I'm not sure what the 'Vivian effect' objection is all about - presumably a reference to the boots worn in 'Pretty Woman', which I consider too baggy, too short and too low in the heel to be 'interesting' and are potentially just tarty.

I totally agree about open-toed boots of any type - pointless (literally!) and unattractive.   I do like to see open-toed sandals and shoes - but they must be properly open and not just with a tiny peep-toe which looks as though someone has cut the end of the shoe off to make it fit, an equally pointless style. :o

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

We have to be a bit careful with terminology here.   By definition, the thigh starts just above the kneecap so any OTK boot is a 'thigh boot'.   When someone refers to an 'OTK boot' without further description, I assume that it doesn't reach much above the kneecap, whereas a (true) thigh boot is noticeably longer.   The ultimate is a 'crotch boot', which speaks for itself, and its variant the 'chap boot' which fastens in some suitable way to a belt.

For my part, I might have been (definitely was) a bit laisser-faire with my use of the term OTK boot, using it as a generic term for anything reaching above the knee (which would be technically correct, but a bit vague in practice).

For around a year or more, I have been looking for a stretchy long boot, that would reach some inches above my knee. While 'old school' terminology might (rightly) refer to these as "thigh boots" since this is where they terminate (mid-thigh), retailers typically use the term "OTK boots" as there is no sexual connotation with that description. The boots I finally found that fitted like the proverbial, might be better known in some circles as "crotch-boots" since that was pretty close to where they terminated. The retailer described them as 'extra high OTK' boots, which is a much more agreeable term for an item of street clothing to be worn in a non-fetish environment.

I really should of taken some photo's of the boots, but black suede doesn't photograph well. :rolleyes:

Actually, subsequently found to be incorrect. "Super Thigh High Boots" is the correct description.

Edited by FastFreddy2
Factual error.

Indeed, the definition of OTK is interesting. As Freddie points out,  the term 'thigh boot' has definite sexual connotations, to say nothing of the boots themselves  and so OTK has been embraced by high street retailers. And why not? They want to shift stock, move boots and over-the-knee is a far more agreeable term in a suburban, high street, non-fetish environment.

The movie Pretty Woman is more than 30 years old now yet it still casts a long, long shadow over the sales of over-the-knee and thigh boots. Over-the-knee boots (at whatever height up the thigh) are much in vogue this year, as they were last year as well, and if you read any fashion column or blog about this enduring fashion trend that movie is almost certain to be referenced somewhere in the piece - typically high up and generally in the paragraph where the author reassures her readers that they needn't fear looking like Julia Roberts ("Vivian") in Pretty Woman if they give in and buy themselves a pair of these trendy boots and then giving them advice on how to tone down the sexiness, and what works and doesn't work. Apparently Brokeback Mountain exerted a similar negative impact - for a while anyway - over the sales of cowboy boots. But nothing like the enduring power of Pretty Woman!

My own boots come an inch or two over the knee - the classic OTK boot. But being pull-ons they slouch slightly and so they really come to just barely above the top my knee cap. Both pairs are suede - one dark brown, one grey. I was reluctant to get smooth black leather - at first - because I really wanted to steer clear of any suggestion of fetish (I guess I was leery of the Vivian effect too) I am more comfortable with wearing OTK boots now - totally at ease in fact - and so have plans to pick up a pair in black calf. These will be slightly lower still - 52 cm shafts instead of 58 or 60 as my other two are. With ankle zips they shouldn't slouch though.  

When I wear them I make a point of dressing casually but neatly - jeans and jumper, nice shirt, generally sober colours, nothing flamboyant. A simple masculine look that  avoids dandiness as well as androgyny. 

Thigh boots never really appealed to me, let alone crotch boots. They are far too fetishy for my tastes. 

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

I am obliged for the clarifications - and confessions.   I hadn't really thought about the sensitivity of the terminology in the context of everyday, non-fetish wear but I can see that the bland 'OTK' description is appropriate and non-contentious.   The problem is that it remains very vague and, to my mind at least, suggests a boot scarcely above the kneecap rather than well up the thigh.   That may leave the reader (or potential customer) wondering, unless of course a clear photo (ideally showing the boots worn) or measurements are appended.   It is perhaps unfortunate that the simple, and accurate, term 'thigh boot' has such apparent perversion/fetish potential; it makes me wonder whether 'stiletto' will head the same way? 

Interesting thoughts, re stilettos, but I think they are so firmly fixed in the public's mind as part of the corporate, celebrity and high fashion world that there is no fear at all of their slipping into the fetish twilight.

I really don't see the OTK description as vague, although precisely where the boundary for OTK ends and where thigh boots begin is a matter of choice and therefore subjective. The company that makes my boots has a cut off of 60cms on shaft length - anything above that and you are talking (and paying for) thigh boots. That seems a fair mark. I am six feet tall and while my 60cm pull-on boots slouch a bit, were I to have more snugly fitting zips I could get away with 52-55 cms and still have the tops just "over the knee". Someone, say 6'4" could get boots with snug-fitting 60cm shafts and be just OTK. 

Most of the boots I have seen advertised as over-the-knee would pretty much be just that, just clearing the top of the knee cap, or touching the very bottom of the thigh.  It seems as though there is a broad industry and fashion world understanding of what OTK means and is. 

Edited by Shyheels

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

When I wear them I make a point of dressing casually but neatly - jeans and jumper, nice shirt, generally sober colours, nothing flamboyant. A simple masculine look that  avoids dandiness as well as androgyny. 

Loving that phraseology.... B)

Just for clarity, do you wear your boots over or under a trouser or jean?

Earlier in the season I had looked at something similar, and may even have mentioned it. "The Plan" was to have a flat boot I could wear under my usual leg attire (dark jeans) and maybe, over some of the slim legged jeans I now own care of Sainsbury and Zara. Of the two prospective pairs found, one was these:

58d25bb9337e6_KGVarsityridingboot.thumb.jpg.d318a3b388671e5c575ffa99ac41a596.jpg

The other pair were (I think) Carvela/KG and offer at £220 originally, later reduced to £139 or somewhere around that. I did get to try a pair on, but baggy ankles took them off the shopping list. :( 

Edited by FastFreddy2

I wear my OTK boots over my jeans. 

I wear stretch skinny jeans - but not spray on ones - so there is no billowing of trouser leg around the boot tops and am further fortunate to have long slender legs to help me carry this off. I wear dark blue jeans with my brown OTK boots and dark grey jeans with my dark grey boots. In the latter case boots and jeans blend in quite well together. Nothing about my appearance screams "look at me".

Baggy ankles are a fact of life with pull-on boots. It is something I've had to get used to, and barely notice now. I take your point in not liking the look. 

Edited by Shyheels

2 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I wear my OTK boots over my jeans. 

I have stretch skinny jeans - but not spray on ones - and am fortunate to have long slender legs. I wear dark blue jeans with my brown OTK boots and dark grey jeans with my dark grey boost. They blend in quite well. Nothing about my appearance screams "look at me".

And you go 'out and about' dressed this way (as opposed to being at home)? 

Yes, but not when I am travelling - not because of any 'embarrassment issues' but because of the hassles of taking boots off at security, especially pull-on boots. It's bad enough with hiking boots. As a result my boots tend to get left at home on trips as they take up lots of room in a suitcase and I prefer to travel as light as possible. I also tend to need hiking boots on my assignments, not fashion boots, so another reason they stay home. I am trying to figure out a useful style of tall boot - perhaps ones with ankle zips and Vibram soles - that I could take with me and use in the field.  

I might add that I don't wear my present boots out in the rain either! They are very nice suede and I am very protective! 

Edited by Shyheels

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I might add that I don't wear my present boots out in the rain either! They are very nice suede and I am very protective! 

Not going to get much use outside at the moment then. ;) Though you probably get less rain than us up here in the Home Counties.

I asked the question about where/if they were worn to find out what the response might be in a shopping mall, supermarket or the local corner shop. Me wearing a long boot under jeans presents no challenge but has the prospect of helping to keep me warm, Wearing over a slim leg jean might be more of a challenge, but could help keep me dry in a deluge, typical of the weather today. And two weeks ago when I got caught out walking to meet Mrs F from work. Brolly kept my top half dry, but from the knee down .... Not so dry. 

To be honest, when I am wearing my dark grey boots and my dark grey jeans one would have to look twice to register that I am wearing boots.  They are extremely comfortable and I generally forget I have them on.  

• Like 1

Some pictures supporting the notion "OTK boots" covers every long style ....

58d28c8f7c881_CarvelOTKthighboot.jpg.a8a769d03b4f2f8e016148cb92886ec2.jpg58d28c915bfa1_CarvelaOTKboot.thumb.jpg.f5201e46dfbabc813a0409b6d43a5f46.jpg

Both, very much "thigh" boots.

1 hour ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Not going to get much use outside at the moment then. ;) Though you probably get less rain than us up here in the Home Counties.

I asked the question about where/if they were worn to find out what the response might be in a shopping mall, supermarket or the local corner shop. Me wearing a long boot under jeans presents no challenge but has the prospect of helping to keep me warm, Wearing over a slim leg jean might be more of a challenge, but could help keep me dry in a deluge, typical of the weather today. And two weeks ago when I got caught out walking to meet Mrs F from work. Brolly kept my top half dry, but from the knee down .... Not so dry. 

Tall boots are great at protecting trouser legs from mud and splashes. It is a shame that men have been socially bullied away from a type of footwear that was traditionally - right up until recent decades - considered masculine and is by all accounts eminently practical. I intent to get some calf OTK boots so I can wear them in inclement weather. 

Edited by Shyheels

13 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Some pictures supporting the notion "OTK boots" covers every long style ....

58d28c8f7c881_CarvelOTKthighboot.jpg.a8a769d03b4f2f8e016148cb92886ec2.jpg58d28c915bfa1_CarvelaOTKboot.thumb.jpg.f5201e46dfbabc813a0409b6d43a5f46.jpg

Both, very much "thigh" boots.

Indeed they are! A very generous interpretation of over-the-knee! Nice sleek-looking boots by the way

My OTK boots would be 5-6" shorter than those, I would guess, and then they slouch a bit too for a more relaxed look

Edited by Shyheels

1 hour ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I might add that when my teenage daughters noticed my dark grey OTK boots (biker style; flat heel; Vibram sole) with my dark grey jeans they didn't bat an eye. Oh, are those new boots? Nice.

Edited by Shyheels

13 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I really don't see the OTK description as vague, although precisely where the boundary for OTK ends and where thigh boots begin is a matter of choice and therefore subjective.  ...

Most of the boots I have seen advertised as over-the-knee would pretty much be just that, just clearing the top of the knee cap, or touching the very bottom of the thigh.  It seems as though there is a broad industry and fashion world understanding of what OTK means and is. 

I don't think we are really in disagreement, but in this context 'vague' equates to 'subjective' in that, as you say, OTK doesn't really tell us enough and we must guess.   And, if there truly is an understanding of what 'OTK' means, then why are so many boots that extend noticeably higher up the thigh still described as OTK?   Weasel words!

I do suggest that, whilst we (in our enthusiast roles) can conveniently refer to any boots that go above the knee as being OTK, we ought, when they are truly thigh or crotch-high, to risk an orgasmic thrill rippling around polite society by using that more precise nomenclature.   Freddie's examples illustrate that.

I agree. And I think Freddie is right on the money when he says that the OTK description on any boot that extends beyond the knee, no matter how far, is to soften the image for high street marketing. OTK boots in this marketing-speak, are 'fashionable', while 'thigh boots' are those naughty things worn by dominatrixes. 

Edited by Shyheels

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I agree. And I think Freddie is right on the money when he says that the OTK description on any boot that extends beyond the knee, no matter how far, is to soften the image for high street marketing. OTK boots in this marketing-speak, are 'fashionable', while 'thigh boots' are those naughty things worn by dominatrixes. 

Unfortunately true.   Marketing = 'the dishonest misrepresentation of goods and services that are neither wanted nor needed'.

Just now, Puffer said:

Unfortunately true.   Marketing = 'the dishonest misrepresentation of goods and services that are neither wanted nor needed'.

That is true - except for the fact that I want OTK boots! ;-)

14 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

That is true - except for the fact that I want OTK boots! ;-)

Yes, of course you do - and (be honest) you need them too!  :wub:

I'm struggling right now to understand why you are happy to wear PVC trousers and also just-over-the-knee boots but would apparently not countenance shiny PVC (or latex?) thigh or crotch boots, even with flattish heels?   They would equally cover your legs all the way up in something snug and shiny.  Given that any onlooker would be dazzled by the reflection from either leg covering, what is so different about them that makes one acceptable and the other not? 

An interesting point you raise. It is a seeming contradiction, I know, but I have my own logic. I am not into boots, or even PVC, for any fetish reasons. I like fashionably tall boots - conservative, classic - and like the bohemian/rock-chick look of PVC jeans.  

PVC thigh boots are made almost purely for the fetish/bedroom market and they look it. That is not a criticism. They are designed and sold for a particular set of purposes and they meet those purposes quite well, I assume. They just so happen not to be purposes that interest me. I am, I might add, in no way being judgemental about anyone who does like their fetish/dominatrix gear or wearing PVC boots in the bedroom - each to his own and more power to their elbows. 

My OTK boots are very conservative and classic - dark grey suede, dark brown suede, pull on, flattish heels (pretty much like that of a standard men's brogue)  They are - if I say so myself - fashionable, and in no way suggestive of fetish. There is a huge difference in style (and price!) between my boots and the thigh-high stiletto heeled PVC boots found in specialty shops and on eBay.

My PVC jeans are high street jeans - Topshop Moto Jamie Jeans - that happen to be made out of a stretchy sort of PVC instead of denim. They look and wear just like standard jeans, and matched with softer things like soft pastel jumpers and brightly coloured canvas trainers, give a funky boho look but without going over the top. Again, there is certainly nothing fetishy about either the jeans, or the way I wear them.  

I do not, I might add, wear my OTK boots with my PVC jeans. That would be ghastly.

Edited by Shyheels

34 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

PVC thigh boots are made almost purely for the fetish/bedroom market and they look it.

And I don't know that is as true as it used to be ... 

This:

58d3a2a3a681e_CarvelOTKthighboot.jpg.ae0b469dfed44dabbffb0d89f42ed35a.jpg

Is a range of "PVC" boots almost sold out, marketed/sold by (literally) a high street brand with a typical target age range of 18 to 35 year olds. With the ramping up of shiny leggings as normal street/day wear, what used to be fetish wear seems to be increasingly regarded as easy-care clothing that shows off a woman's shape. I haven't seen any girls wearing PVC OTK/thigh boots out during the day (nor had to deal with the potential consequences of a restraining order if I did), but I've certainly seen quite a few OTK boots at the shops during daylight hours.

58d3a99663a38_ShoppinginOTKboots.thumb.jpg.aaac609500d53a3276b2f2d00ce6c9fc.jpg

With all that said ... I would fully agree, were you to wear PVC boots with your PVC trousers, you would either be seen as into it as a fetish, or as an original punk rocker. :D