Sign in to follow this  
Puffer

Beatle boots and winklepickers

Those (like me) who remember the late 1950s and early 1960s in the UK will no doubt recall when fashionable men's shoes had sharply-pointed 'winklepicker' toes (or, a little later, squared-off 'chisel' toes) and 'Beatle boots' with cuban heels were made popular.   A lot of us flouted school uniform rules in order to look (and feel) 'with it'!

I came across this feature with reproductions of old shoe catalogues:   http://rockpopfashion.com/blog/?p=1263#comments   Very nostalgic - and £3.00 or so was the usual price for a decent pair of leather shoes in that period! 

Nice days indeed. While I never much cared for the winklepicker look, the cuban heeled Chelsea ("Beatle") boots held a lot of appeal. 

I've always liked 'pointy' shoes. Men's or women's, though women's preferred, to both look at and wear.

Wore some today. Got me looked at by some. Especially a shop assistant in Zara. Nearly broke her neck trying to look over her shoulder as she walked past. ;)