Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

The Wednesday trip to Lakeside and Bluewater.

These two large Malls are not very far apart, one either side of the Thames Estuary [effectively], and neither too far from the M25. [London orbital motorway.]

We've tried several times in the past to do both Malls on the same day, and only once managed it. I'd hoped we'd do both during this visit, but leaving later than expected, we were faced with one of the other. Fate decided we would do half of each, just about.

We got to Lakeside mid afternoon with me wearing my HD boots. We visited TKMaxx, where I'd seen a good selection of shoes and boots on a previous visit last month. Nothing of interest, and the expensive boots pictured before, were also no longer in stock. We popped up to the Mall proper [TKMaxx is on a Retail Park around a mile away] for coffee and a sandwich before we did anything else.

Into House of Fraser, to find Mrs Freddy a pair of Biba jeans in a size 10. No joy there.

I wanted to go back into Jessops to have another chat to the staff there about Lumix cameras. By the time the girl I spoke to last time was free, Mrs Freddy had gotten bored so we had to move on. I did find out they don't carry stock, and I could wait 28 days for the kit to be delivered...... No good to me. sad.gif

Back to the car, and over the bridge to Bluewater.

This is a venue that I'd often thought would provide a venture for slightly more interesting footwear opportunities. biggrin.gif I had once worn >> these << to a restaurant there, and gotten away with it. There are fewer young people there, and it always seemed to me, a more cosmopolitan shopper frequented the place? wink.gif

Arriving in the dark, we first walked up to Marks and Spencer, where we finally found Mrs Freddy some work shoes! cool.gif While there, I also tried on a couple of pairs, mostly while sitting next to a 30-40 year old carer with what could have been his elderly chair bound relative. [i've no shame.] Despite lots of people around, I didn't once notice anyone staring......

As we were not far from the car, we returned to drop off the new shoes. Having had some time to consider whether I had the confidence to do it, I changed into >> these << ALDO ankle boots.

Walking back into the Mall from the car park, we had to walk past a group of perhaps 6 Jamaicans arguing loudly by the entrance. [As their culture pretty much demands 'gays' should be tossed in the sea, I'm always a bit apprehensive around Caribbean's.] The phrase 'running the gauntlet' springs to mind ..... ohmy.gif

With a higher heel, getting around was slightly harder work. Our next stop was again, House of Fraser for Biba jeans. Walking along the upper Mall, we got passed by many people keen to make the most of their shopping time there. I like to think I stay aware of my surroundings, and noticed that some way back, 4 male youths in their late teens [or breaking into their twenties] were walking up behind us. Fear had me wanting to stop and let them pass. Arrogance, or the need to enjoy a relatively normal lifestyle had us walking along at a snails pace, with I suppose me flashing my heels to anyone attentive enough to notice them. I can say with some confidence, at least one of these lads had been....

It maybe they weren't walking very fast either, but they just about followed us into HoF. I used entering the store as an opportunity to change direction slightly, but still moved toward the back of the store where the shoe section is. Again they paced us, walking up a parallel aisle, each looking over from time to time. Eventually they either had to walk into the womens shoe section too, or take the escalator downstairs. To my relief, they went down to the lower floor. While they were on the upper floor, they must have looked at us at least 10 times to see our faces and what we were doing. Each time they looked, I stared back. My 'challenge' and their lack of unity produced a [thankfully] sheepish response, and we were left to browse unperturbed on the upper floor. Loud banter could be heard when they were out of sight, but no words could be understood....

We enjoyed the rest of the short visit to HoF, but again, no suitable Biba jeans for Mrs Freddy to try. blink.gif

Off then to John Lewis. They have a fairly good shoe section there too, and Mrs Freddy enjoys their branded concessions. After a little wander around the Ladies floor, we went upstairs to the camera and video section. While I wore 4 3/4" heels, we then spent getting on for 45 minutes talking about camera's, playing with two camera bodies and 4 lenses. They had the kit I wanted in stock, so I spent £800 on a system. [That at the time of writing - some 8 days later - hasn't once been out of the carrier bag it came home in. rolleyes.gif]

The boxed kit [one camera and two telephoto lenses] was/is disappointingly heavy and bulky. It being something of a liability, we decided to put the kit in the car before we walked around to find the place we would eat. It was a long walk as we were parked just about as far from John Lewis as it was possible to be, and still be at Bluewater. biggrin.gif Before leaving the store it seemed prudent to again visit the loo. Believing the lower floor would be quieter - fewer people - we went down to the lower ground floor.

I was right that the toilet area would be quieter, especially since the store was about to close for the day. What I hadn't realised, was this meant less background babble..... And John Lewis LOVES suspended floors. They're like walking around on drums! biggrin.gif I had struggled to get away from the sales staff on the camera section quietly (and probably didn't). As I walked into the corridor that led to the toilets, I wondered if I would meet anyone coming out as I walked in? Or worse, would find someone inside waiting to tell the girl he'd heard click-clack towards him, that she was in the wrong room? I needn't have worried. The place was empty. cool.gif

Walking out I enjoyed the echo of my heels amplified by the flooring, rattle around the corridor walls. It's a sound I could never tire of hearing. wub.gif

Unfortunately, the echo produced so much sound, it caught the attention of two young female assistants leaving the sales floor to go home. While the pair didn't walk close to me, one of them tried several times to look at my feet from a distance. Every time I was looking in her direction, discouraging her interest. dry.gif I left the store happy anyway, camera in hand, ringing of heels in ears. cool.gif

Back out in the Mall and I'm wearing heels, so I'm having a good time. Mrs Freddy, out in heels and having stood still for some considerable time in John Lewis while wearing them, started to experience some hip pain. By the time we got back to the parked car, her enthusiasm to eat out had gone. To be fair, it was past 9pm, and we were at least and hour and a quarter away from home. Eating out may have meant getting home at midnight, and herself had to be up for 5am..... The discomfort from a sore hip [induced we think by a foot injury a year ago] was the deciding factor in the staying or going decision. We left and got home at 10.45pm.

Our evening meal at home ..... what passes in our house [at the moment] for a toasted cheese sandwich. cool.gif

A challenging day. But memorable, and on balance, an enjoyable experience. smile.gif

Reason for edit: Grammar and link inclusions.

Edited by FastFreddy2

LOVE Mrs Freddy's boots!

Thank you. I'll pass on your remark. cool.gif

If I remember they were some KG boots bought for £19 a couple of years ago at Bluewater in HoF. We are convinced, since Kurt Geiger don't do shoes for that price, someone mispriced them. wink.gif Mrs Freddy likes a bargain. smile.gif

Looking to be at Milton Keynes this coming Monday afternoon ........ anyone? biggrin.gif

Looking to be at Milton Keynes this coming Monday afternoon ........ anyone? biggrin.gif

Unfortunately I'll be working tomorrow afternoon

At Milton Keynes until 7pm, via Bletchley TKMaxx (which wasn't a worthwhile extra - as it turned out). Home for a little after 8pm having spent 10 hours in heels. cool.gif

Visited some of the larger high street stores. [HoF, Debenhams, John Lewis.] Also a good number of the well known brand stores too. The two of us had a bit of a 'try-on' with some shoes in the main MK Centre TKMaxx. Very little in my size [the Dune 41's feeling like the size 7 I think they are] and nothing else that I liked. Mrs Freddy faired a little better >> clicky << but they wouldn't stay on ...... (as usual).

I tried >> these << at the Internationale store that's practically next door. Again, came up small, unlike the previous 41/8's I already own.

Liked a couple of styles in River Island, one of which are >>these << and Mrs Freddy - in a playful mood, tried >> these <<.

We're not expecting to buck the global economic trend on our own, but other than food and drink, we didn't buy anything ...... sad.gif Mostly because there wasn't anything we liked enough to buy ..... huh.gif That said, it was a very pleasant day out. cool.gif .

Edited by FastFreddy2

Some great looking shoes in the pics you linked. Like the RI Chelsea boots :)

I'm in MK tomorrow but shopping for xmas with my little girl to get Mrs Shyguy a few gifts so no chance to look at heels. Although she does want some new boots which could give me an excuse lol.

Debenhams are doing a "30% off" promotion this week. [Weds - Sun]. House of Fraser doing something similar Thursday and Friday, with John Lewis are price matching both. Soooooooo.......

I'll be at Oxford Street tomorrow night. I doubt very much I'll be spending money as there's very little I want that I don't already have. [Lucky me. smile.gif]

But it's an excuse to have a walk around, and I'll have my new camera with me. Hopefully I'll capture some of the images that have so far, been too difficult to record..... wink.gif

Heavy rain this evening, all over Southern England, until early hours of Friday morning. rolleyes.gif

I'm still going, but the camera isn't. sad.gif Not sure about a brolly....... [Not very trendy are brollies ....tongue.gifbiggrin.gif]

Well, I had to have a disaster eventually (law of averages...) sad.gif

Set off a tad late (nothing new), and drove into the longest traffic jam I've enjoyed for some time. Lost an hour of the evening. rolleyes.gif

Rain hacking down together with the lost time pushed a decision to go to Brent Cross rather than Oxford Street. With the exception of TKMaxx and NEXT, it's mostly inside, plus it's about 25 minutes closer. tongue.gif Strangely, the place was empty?

Got some finger wagging from one of the security chaps there, because I brandished my new super-dupa camera. Annoyed me more than it should. [What adult enjoys being 'told off'?] I kept touching the setup controls while trying to use it, which meant I was seldom ready to take a picture anyway.

Although I had a couple of hours in heels, I left pretty deflated. Rain, traffic jam, security chap finger waving, struggle with camera ..... I almost wished I'd stayed home..... biggrin.gif

Apparently, cold enough for snow in a weeks time .... huh.gif

P.S.

Did get a look at some leggy black girls promoting pantyhose in one of the larger stores. See picture >> here << of one of them wearing really attractive shoes. [The model was a stunner too!] If I was in a better mood, I might of asked if I could photograph the two of them, but I only wanted a photo of the shoes really. It was a good test for the new camera ..... wink.gif

Edited by FastFreddy2

I've been out and about recently, but not announced anything since there is an decreasing incidence of participation. Sadly. sad.gif

Luton Arndale has been done (with some success). cool.gif Myself and Mrs Freddy went to Oxford Street over the holiday period, and herself spent quite a bit at Mary Portas in House of Fraser. Of the 3 items purchased, I think one LBD was marked at half price, but still came in at £105 ..... ohmy.gif

Other than the two coffees in Debenhams [£5] I didn't spend anything...... blink.gif This is probably a good thing for me, as the last shift I worked was lunchtime on the 29th December. The job's now gone and I have to find another way to finance my shoe buying habit. biggrin.gif

I'll be spending some time this week trawling around shops trying to find another pair of boots in River Island, like the £30 pair I bought in Luton. wink.gif I never like owning one pair in any style..... For some reason? huh.gif

Myself and Mrs Freddy went to Oxford Street over the holiday period

I hadn't realised at the time ........

There were two styles of boots in the Selfridges sale that took my eye. A tall boot I struggled to get on, and struggled even more to get off .... sad.gif In front of an audience of 3 shoppers and sometimes 3 staff - sometimes 4.... huh.gif Obviously the maker never expected a man sized ankle to be pushed along the length of the narrow shaft of the boot.

The second style, was a high suede [pixie] ankle boot that I not only tried on my foot, but had a little walk about whilst wearing. I vaguely remember the style being circa £300 even at the sale price, so they were never going to be bought as they were suede. [Looked good but too easy to ruin.] And not having my glasses on meant I didn't fully appreciate who the boot designer was. Until I spotted >> these << on line the other day. Had I realised, I might have been tempted to try both shoes. It wasn't as if the the store staff weren't aware I was there .... biggrin.gif

At House of Fraser, I tried on the Nine West Amrit boot again, in a UK7. Good fit, but my heel is a little loose in the boot? But tempting at £65. It's a very wearable style. wink.gif Still no purchase though.

At House of Fraser, I tried on the Nine West Amrit boot again, in a UK7. Good fit, but my heel is a little loose in the boot? But tempting at £65. It's a very wearable style. wink.gif Still no purchase though.

And now, not likely to. sad.gif

Larger sizes [7's and 8's] seem to be sold out everywhere. huh.gif

Weird given they don't have a platform, and don't have a very very high stiletto heel ..... But obviously, popular just the same? wink.gif

Didn't check for sizing [i don't need any more shoes/boots! ohmy.gif] But these were reduced even further when I saw them at Bluewater last week. Maybe £45 now?

Looks like I'm finally going to visit Birmingham's Bullring shopping area this weekend. It's not been a places I've been 'chomping at the bit' to visit, because Birmingham doesn't have a great reputation. I nearly visited last year, but going there soon is almost unavoidable, as I have a business meeting I can't avoid.

Mrs Freddy has mentioned the visit to friends, and they have said that it has great shopping facilities. It'll take a lot to tempt me I have to say. Just bought a £500 laptop, a £90 phone, re-taxed the car, and there's a £300 service for it next month. With very little income at present, this looks like one of my harder years. sad.gif

On the up side, we are still better off than many, and I won't live long enough to wear out all the heels I have already, so no real need to concern myself on lack of purchases.......

That said....... wink.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Seems I escaped Birmingham again. huh.gif

Getting to be something of a challenge .....

Although with diesel at £1.42 PER LITRE [$8.52 per US gallon] and £6.46 per UK gallon, could I really afford a visit? sad.gif

P.S.

Just checked prices across the pond. US customers currently paying $4 a gallon!! That's less than half. The UK customer is getting Royally ripped off by HM Revenue & Taxes.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Its $4.39/US gallon at the local cheap station here for the lowest grade (credit card price).

Its $4.39/US gallon at the local cheap station here for the lowest grade (credit card price).

The last time I remember buying fuel for my car at that price, was some time ago. sad.gif

Here is a link to an illuminating [and independent] matrix, us folk interested in benchmarks enjoy browsing. wink.gif

UK forecourt petrol prices, 1983 to 2011.

Now, where's me bicycle pump?

Diesel fuel has crept up to £1.48 per litre locally.

Talking to a buddy earlier today, he mentioned passing a London garage offering fuel at £1-90 a litre during a recent fuel shortage scare. He also mentioned the price didn't stop people queuing to buy it.....

My recently acquired super-frugal lifestyle, is bugging the heck out of Mrs Freddy. She took some holiday time last week, and we did very little. In fact the accidental, a one hour visit to a local outdoor shopping precinct, was probably the highlight of our time together. While the wintry weather persists, I've little enthusiasm for trekking anywhere, anyway. The days are getting longer though, now still some light around at 8.30pm.

The Sun will get here soon though. If it gets to dry and warm, I may have to dust off a pair of heels. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

The British weather is still trying hard to prevent us [the Freddies] venturing far outside.

The media keep telling us we are deep into a 2 year drought, the likes of which we have not seen since 1976. [i remember that year, It was a loooooooong hot summer, a good time to holiday in the UK.]

While the first 3 months of the year were damp, I'd agree they weren't wet. Plenty of mist around, plenty of cloud cover. But very little wet stuff dropping. Recently, things have changed. We have an olde saying about weather for this month; "April showers", that for the last few days "April monsoon" would be more appropriate. A couple of serious hail-stone storms .... Rain coming down hard enough to strip new leaves off trees ....

The reason for mentioning this, is the impact it's having on my [current lack of] enthusiasm for wearing heels outside. When I'm abroad in the sun, I love walking about, and people watching in general. At the moment, the cool wet weather has me stuck inside - staring at the rain.

We had been invited to dine with two friend who have seen me out in heels, tonight in one of the nicer parts London. I had expected to meet them, and some more of their friends, wearing heels.

Unfortunately, while they are eating at a fairly popular Polish restaurant, the menu has meat with every dish and I don't do meat. Consequently, we've had to decline. [Mrs Freddy eats meat, and would have enjoyed the 'feast', but little point in me travelling 30 miles to watch 7 other people eat?]

My time will come. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by FastFreddy2

Looks like I'm out somewhere tomorrow afternoon/evening. cool.gif

Weather was very wet again today, and it promises to be much the same tomorrow, so it'll have to be somewhere inside. Brent Cross, Westfield [White City]? Somewhere less exotic, Watford? biggrin.gif

I maybe need to find some new walking venues. .... blink.gif

Edited by FastFreddy2

The venture last Saturday didn't happen. I was late (as usual) and my companion decided she would rather watch television than go out late. [Her video needs replacing, so recording the programme she wanted to watch, wasn't an option.]

The journey planned might happen tomorrow night, Thursday. Brent Cross, and then onto London's West End. Not a late night, but shopping and some food.

Will certainly do me some good, leaving the building site for a couple of hours. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

The sabotage crew were out again today ......

Mrs Freddy left the car lights on last night, having nearly been washed off the road by a downpour of 'drought' [monsoon grade] rain. Tried to start her car this morning ----- nothing.

Yours truly, having been up until 4.30am preparing for the meeting mentioned earlier, had to rise at 6am to take his wife to work for 7am. Took some time to release the car battery. [Weird - install only method used by Volkswagen, meant uninstalling was a test of patience I may have passed, despite my tiredness.]

Was just cleaning the battery, when two interviewers arrived. It went well.

With battery out, I back to old home and obliging neighbour with a battery charger. Battery now charging. wink.gif

I'd like to catch up on some sleep, but I've some boots to post. then collect herself from work. I'll need to re-install the charged battery in daylight, so no playtime today. sad.gif

No rest for the wicked?

Plan 'D' for this week then ......

Saturday afternoon at Brent Cross.

Saturday evening, West End and food out.

Weather Forecast:

Showers during the afternoon moving to steady rain in the evening.

Ambient temperature around 11'C during the day falling to 9'C in the evening.

Wind working up from 21kph during the afternoon to 27kph for the evening. [Causing windchill, so temp will feel more like 6'C.]

If I were a betting man, I'd wager on me cancelling. Weather report reads more like a late Autumn/mild Winters day, than an early/mid Spring day? Just how desperate am I getting to wear heels ..... Fairly, but not so much I want to go out in stormy weather. sad.gifcool.gif

Edited by FastFreddy2

Well, despite my pessimistic expectations ....... Mr and Mrs Freddy went to the West End after all.

I'd managed to get enough done to allow myself some time off, and the weather wasn't as bad as forecast. We left late [me posting stuff sold on the auction site] getting into the shopping street for 6.45pm. Excellent timing given the free parking starts at 6.30pm.

It was raining a little, and everyone that had one with them, was using a brolly. sad.gif It wasn't so bad, though Mrs Freddy kept saying she was feeling cold. rolleyes.gif [she has a number of expensive coats that Eskimo's would be glad of, so why go out wearing a thin/light coat?]

We managed to go to two large stores. To John Lewis to look for a Radley bag. [Currently 30% off.] And herself suggested a quick look into House of Fraser to browse around the shoes, allegedly as a treat for me ..... but I'm selling not buying ....... unsure.gif

Mrs Freddy and I had a look around, and apart from some Carvela courts[aka pumps - and no link as the Carvela/KG web site doesn't like them], I saw nothing to arouse an itch in my wallet. Mrs Freddy, spied some shoes she was quite smitten with: Steve Madden Viktoree, black velvet Mary Jane style, with 2" platform and 6 inch heel: See samples:

Viktoree in purple.

Same style different brand.

Another view of the Viktoree.

So Mrs Freddy likes the shoes so much, she gets the assistant to get a second shoe while I visit the boys room. I get back [too late for the catwalk show] to find her putting on her own boots. Some conversation takes place based on her buying the shoes, "to treat me" [Freddy]. Now, I'm immediately suspicious about this, because (i) it isn't Christmas, and (ii) it's not my birthday. wink.gif Plus, I haven't done anything terrifically great recently either. I'd even go so far as to say I'd prefer the money spent on a decent (car) battery charger wink.giftongue.gif ..... So I'm now having a shoe buying conversation with a women who hours earlier, gave me the better part of £400's worth of shoes she's worn once - to sell on, in the hope they might make £40. Here we are 10 hours later, talking about buying shoes with 6 inch heels for someone who regularly falls over wearing flat shoes? blink.gif And offering them as a purchase to treat me? biggrin.gif I didn't have the heart to tell her, I was more interested in some shoes I tried on when I got back from the boys room. A pair of shoes from >> Dune <<. They came with a pencil thin 4½" heel, and pointed toe. Had I been wearing hose, I might have tried on both shoes, but time was short, and there were no free 'footsies' left out for prospective buyers. We left empty handed.

With the store closed at 8pm we found ourself on the street under the store canopy, getting ready to venture forth into worsening weather. As we stood looking into the deepening puddles and listening to the strengthening wind, I noticed a girl wearing some nice heels a couple of yards away. I also noticed her companion had a decent camera system with him. Ever the nosey person, I suggested we wait to see what they got up to. [i was in no hurry to go out into the rain.]

As we were debating the weather and casting an eye back and both, a third person, a rather attractive girl - approached us. "Hi, would you mind if we interviewed you on camera?" Us thinking we were about to become media celebrities ..... almost took a step backward, but she kept smiling so we listened. Apparently, the girl who approached us was after a job in the US. She had to send them a 'show reel' of her interviewing on camera, and would we mind helping? So we did.

After a brief discussion on what we would talk about [ugly women presenters from a male perspective, 'sugar-daddies' from a mature womans point-of-view, both recent news stories] we did a three minute interview. I replied true to type, as did Mrs Freddy, but all three of us had a giggle doing the interview. cool.gif We were thanked for the help, and we started to walk away. Looking back, we saw the the girl presenter cry "Oh no!" We presumed this meant the interview didn't record maybe. [Camera man pushed the wrong button, or didn't push the right one hard enough?] We didn't go back for seconds though. While it had been entertaining, a second take would have had us marked as 'wannabes'.

Shame. I quite fancied a spot on You Tube. biggrin.gif

I don't think the camera got pointed at my footwear. If it had, maybe the 'oh no' cry was because they didn't get a good shot of them? biggrin.gif

The rain carried on, and so did we to the restaurant. 2 hours later, we left having eaten a hearty 3 course meal that left us with change from £30. The car was parked around the corner [not a coincidence] and we were home for 11.20pm.

I finally got an [entertaining] evening out in heels. cool.gif

Edited by FastFreddy2