Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

During the past week we've had some rain, so the great bulk of the snow has finally disappeared. The loose stuff went quickly, but the compacted stuff took some removing. In fact even now, I can still see the remains of a snowman from a bedroom window. Today (Monday) is another very cold day.

Yesterday it was a tad warmer than it has been of late and it rained for most of the day. I suppose the wet air brings milder weather, unless it runs into a cold front like last weekend. I was compelled to visit Brent X which was as busy as expected. It's not a huge mall, but has a John Lewis, a Fenwicks, and a smaller M+S. Over two floors, it can provide a couple of hours meandering, especially if coffee and some people watching is indulged. Getting "to and from" during the Christmas period, especially on a Sunday, is significantly easier (though not easy) than going into the West End.  

Finally spent some time in a heel, my M+S pointy boots, which are so nice to walk in I actually forgot I was wearing a heel. Too many other shoppers about to hear a heel so not only couldn't I hear them for most of my time there, but nor could anyone else. Only a little pointed toe protruding from the front of my jeans might have been something of an indicator, (which was spotted), but I had fewer people noticing than usual. Yay!

As widely expected/predicted, the 'Winter Sales' had started in many stores, especially amongst the 'brands'. I've seen some ankle boots in Kurt Geiger I liked, that are priced at £179 if I remember, and I had hoped to be tempted at their 50% offer, but the shoes I found weren't labelled as part of their sale. Good for me because I certainly don't need another pair of ankle boots, especially at those prices.

5a379fa499083_KurtGeiger-Spectacular-179AW2017.jpg.ebe46cfd34c06e2275cabe79c586b992.jpg

It would seem KG are keeping this style in their "New In" range. Odd given I've been looking at them for months....

Had nice walk around at the mall. No dramas. Journey home was a bit unpleasant despite me leaving early in an attempt to avoid the 'the rush'. Maybe many others had the same idea? 

With a bit of luck, I'll be doing Westfield White City later in the week. Bigger mall, more walking, and possibly, a late night. B) 

On 18/12/2017 at 11:03 AM, FastFreddy2 said:

With a bit of luck, I'll be doing Westfield White City later in the week. Bigger mall, more walking, and possibly, a late night. B)  

Or maybe I won't .....

It's panic Thursday! Our guide to the best bargains as last-minute rush means 60% more shoppers will hit high streets tomorrow... and it is set to be chaos on the roads and railways too

• Number of people to hit the high street tomorrow is expected to be up 60%
  • Savings of up to 80 per cent are on offer at Debenhams and House Of Fraser
  • Comes after report shows the high street is in trouble closures rising 22 per cent

Headline >> here <<

I'm pretty sure most of that sharp increase will be men (gulp) doing their Christmas shopping ... :rolleyes: :D

But you'd better get down to Toys 'R' Us today, Freddy, before it finally collapses.   (I can just imagine choosing a pair of sparkly pink 'dress up' girly mules!)

3 hours ago, Puffer said:

But you'd better get down to Toys 'R' Us today, Freddy, before it finally collapses.   (I can just imagine choosing a pair of sparkly pink 'dress up' girly mules!)

I wish. ;)

I'd love to own some wearable (fit my foot) mules. I've tried several times, and I must have 'wonky' or odd shaped feet - they just don't fit!?

My plans had a small spanner thrown at them this morning .... Dentist rang at 9am and offered me a cancellation at 3.45pm today. Not expecting any work to be carried out, but if there is ... Early night with a handful of painkillers for me. :( 

On the up side .... Today is Winter Solstice. Daylight hours start to increase again tomorrow. "Spring is in the air". :D  Not quite, but we are moving toward warmer weather not moving away from it - as it were.  I simply MUST have a more adventurous year in 2018 than I had in 2017. People around me (and me too I suppose) need to put more effort into staying away from doctors and hospitals. I spent waaay too much time playing 'nursey' this year, with none of the prospective (fantasy) benefits. Had something of a scare myself some 3 months ago, which put a bit of a crimp on proceedings too.  As a general reminder to any young folk out there ... Getting old isn't much fun, but it sure beats the alternative. B)

8 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I wish. ;)

I'd love to own some wearable (fit my foot) mules. I've tried several times, and I must have 'wonky' or odd shaped feet - they just don't fit!?

On the up side .... Today is Winter Solstice. Daylight hours start to increase again tomorrow. "Spring is in the air".   

Have you ever tried 'Springolator' mules (from the 1950s)?   They might be a better fit on you.   No longer made, although maybe still available as originals or good copies.

Springolator

Much more info here (too big to show in full):   https://www.flickr.com/photos/robynmichaels/galleries/72157622746271106/?rb=1

Edited by Puffer
Link added

5 hours ago, Puffer said:

Have you ever tried 'Springolator' mules (from the 1950s)?   They might be a better fit on you.   No longer made, although maybe still available as originals or good copies.

They have been mentioned before, (not for this reason) but thank you for the tip anyway.

The problem I have is more of the shoe twisting off my foot as I walk, and it affects one foot more than the other. I often suspect the cause is the residual damage from falling out of a tree. (Refer to 'Reaper' thread.) The same is true when I wear very high shoes on unusually long walks, my left ankle 'gets tired' and doesn't want to rotate in-line. 

Speaking of walking out, did Brent Cross and Westfield tonight. Left B/C early (8pm) and had a couple of hours at Westfield. Both venues packed, with W/F busy right up to 11pm. :o  

Edited by FastFreddy2

At Brent X to buy some PVC leggings on Tuesday 9th. Although many shops have sales on, there wasn't much going on. One disappointing situation, is that Office shoes are closing their shop there. It might be an expensive place to have a shop, but it always seemed quite busy. Hopefully they aren't another brand about to disappear off the 'high street'. At least their range is affordable, unlike Kurt Geiger and Dune who want almost £200 for a pair of shoes or ankle boots?

Managed to get to a West End Topshop before it closed for the day. A bit busier, but  was obviously too late for much of the expected sale stuff. Not that I need more shoes (or jeans, or shiny leggings).

On the way to B/X I had stopped off for some food. Getting out of the car, my foot forgot it was wearing a 5" heel. :huh: That was embarrassing....

Note to self, "need to spend more time in heels". Consequently, I did some housework this afternoon in some (recently acquired) white courts. Mrs Freddy asked if they were my 'hoovering heels'..... :rolleyes:    

10 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Are these heels as worn by the great J. Edgar himself?

Now that would have been an image worth selling .....;)

The weather remains poor. Rain most of today here, a lull tonight, and more rain tomorrow - all day.

It could be worse .... The temperature is low, and some parts of the country are experiencing snow fall, which is a lot less useful when you are older, than when you are young.

The "sales" such as they are will end tomorrow. When I went out on Thursday evening, 'summer' stock was already being promoted. Well I assume bikini's are part of the 'summer' season wear? Mrs Freddy who is much more in tune with these things than me, says the end of February used to be the time for new season to start. Over the years it has moved toward the end of January ... With each store group competing to be the first to the market, to get any 'summer wardrobe' money that might be slushing around. They don't even wait until the end of January now. Sales finish two or three weeks into the new year, spring/summer lines start. 

Given how much bad weather we've had over the past few years, I would suggest any store trying to sell summer gear in the middle of winter, is optimistic to say the least. If I recall, much of last years summer range was still on the hangers in September, because summer never arrived in 2017. Yes, I remember two sweltering weeks, but I don't count that as a summer. 

Whether you believe global warming is the cause, (I do) expecting to see Spain grade weather in the UK was not going to be the outcome as hoped. Not only would it have meant the UK stopped producing the volume of edible goods it does, we don't have the capacity to make money out of a high volume of tourists like the Spanish do at present. No, "global warming" (whatever the cause) has the oceans getting warmer, and generating more moisture. More moisture over the Atlantic, means more water over the UK - and more water landing on the UK. I'm sure some parts of the UK keep reasonably dry, but my bit doesn't. 

We are promised a hosepipe ban already, during 2018 in some parts, because of high consumption and low rainfall. I get the high consumption, but LOW rainfall? :huh:

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

Depends where you are. London receives the same amount of rainfall as Barcelona.

And nothing like the sunshine .....

Siberia is probably a lot wetter by volume, but it gets a (dry) summer too. 

As expected, 4 hours of snow followed by (so far) 3 hours of rain.

No need to travel out in this. It's not like there's any pleasure in getting cold and wet. I'm not a penguin. :rolleyes:

London and UK weather.

Warmer weather is on the way, and Mrs Freddy has a couple of days off later in the week, so a Lakeside/Bluewater trip might be on the cards when travelling would be less of a challenge.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Yes, indeed. Grim weather. Not at all good for going out in suede boots. I need to buy some nice leather knee or otk boots for general wear...

On 21/01/2018 at 5:11 PM, Shyheels said:

I need to buy some nice leather knee or otk boots for general wear...

And so it starts .... Pair No.3 ..... ;)

Looks like the inclement weather is keeping people busy elsewhere? 

I am planning to visit Lakeside or Bluewater later in the week ..... Anyone? :D

Indeed. But I do need something to wear when the weather turns, my suede ones are lovely but I am scared something will happen to them. It is so easy to stain and mar suede...

And yes, of course, a third pair would be fun!

Edited by Shyheels

I guess I am used to wearing leather hiking boots in all weathers. I am not worried so much about good leather, but suede just set so easy to mar....

We've had "gale force winds" blowing most of the night and this morning so far (now past 11am). As I write, today's rain has arrived and I will describe it as 'monsoon' grade. I have a clear view of some 70-80 yards outside my back window, and the trees there look like they are obscured by fog, that is actually rain.

Of course it could be worse. We don't live in a valley, so little/no danger of flooding. We don't live half way up a mountain, so no danger of being cut off by snow fall. But still not great weather for doing anything in a heel. :rolleyes: There's a reason why ducks and geese don't wear high heels. :D

10 hours ago, Tacchi Alti said:

Windy and drizzling here on the south coast. A lot of women walk like ducks and geese in high heels... ;-)

Hello ducky!   Mind if I take a gander at your heels?

Even more wind here in West Kent than experienced after sprouts on Christmas Day.   Rain too; not nice - especially when chasing empty poly bags across car park at Wickes this morning after they blew out of my car.   (No, I wasn't in heels.)