Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

Thursday evening ..... Oxford Street. Got some boots to return to ALDO.

My usual timekeeping performance stopped this happening. That and I couldn't find the invoices sent with the boots and a requirement for refunds..... Organised? Moi? :blink:

Went to Brent Cross this afternoon as planned, and didn't meet any of you.... ;):D

Had a look around at the remainder of the sale shoes, and no less disappointed than the last time I looked. In fact the ONLY pair of interest were these found in John Lewis:

KG by Kurt Geiger ~ Menzies

Which I'm sure I saw priced in the sale at £79 .....

I've already bought two pairs, but branded Carvela [less expensive little sister to KG]. Got one pair from TK Maxx at £39.99 and the second pair from ASOS at around £42 if I remember. Lovely fit, with almond shaped toe and seriously padded footbed. Good height heel too.

As previously reported, there with Mator, and my walking friend. Ate at John Lewis, which was quite a surprise. Restaurant I wanted to visit has becomme a Nandos, which is a chicken with everything style eatery. Not for me....

The birthday girl, now confirmed at 82 [and probably 81 this time next year], wanted a mushroom omelette. Carluccios wanted £9.75 to make her one. John Lewis wanted £7.05 and their's came with two slices of toasted bread with butter, and a salad garnish that was in fact a salad. There was enough mushrooms in the omelette for a meal on their own. :blink: Myself and my companion opted for penne with tomato and basil sauce with grated Parmisan topping. Two more substantial meals at circa £7 each. We spent the same on 3 meals in JL as we were expecting to spend in Carluccios for 2 people. Well done JL. :)

On the down side, mother had 3 or 4 fork-fulls, and decided she was finished. :P 40 mile round trip .... dragged her around various parts of the Mall to broaden her day out. Possibly half the time we were there spent finding a suitable eatery to get the meal she wanted, only for her to have enough food to barely cover a saucer.

Happy Birthday! :D

It looks like a small group [3 or 4] of us will be meeting in London on Saturday. Everyone is welcome.

Details via PM.

West End shops, then a light meal somewhere close, later in the day.

Heels optional, but a little 'prance' around later after dark somewhere away from any crowds, will be encouraged. B)

Due to ill-health, one of the key attendees can't make Saturday, so the mini-meet is now taking place on Sunday. :rolleyes:

Current plan for tomorrow ......

Meet up just after lunch. Coffee and chat.

Up to Primarnie for a look see of the budget shoes [and walk around the place that will probably resemble a jumble sale.]

Slow walk up to Oxford Circus via large clothing stores and shoe shops, ending at the venue of the best cup of hot chocolate on the planet. :rolleyes:

Current plan for tomorrow ......

Meet up just after lunch. Coffee and chat.

Up to Primarnie for a look see of the budget shoes [and walk around the place that will probably resemble a jumble sale.]

Slow walk up to Oxford Circus via large clothing stores and shoe shops, ending at the venue of the best cup of hot chocolate on the planet. :(

As [my] plans go, this one didn't go too badly.

Met up at place agreed, and pretty much on time. :rolleyes:

Had a natter over coffee .... then did the shops. Found [girls] footwear ranging from £8 in Primarnie, through £25 [Next] to £45 and £55 in Debenhams, right up to £800+ at Selfridges. [No wonder they had security all over the place. :D ]

We all had a good walk around, with a second coffee break in Debenhams. Only one of us spent money on shoes [once again not me] before we ended up at the eatery for a fast pasta dinner before the journey home.

Well done Heelman500 for 6 hours in heels, and a good mile of walking up and down Oxford Street. :)

A pleasant time had by all. :o

Back into London tomorrow......

Whistle-stop tour ......

Westfield for about an hour [maybe buying shoes] then Oxford Street to do some returns ... I hope. Weather is looking not too good, so no hiking around the streets. :D

One day [and it won't be tomorrow] I've promised myself a walk around Westfield in some stupidly high [but hidden] heels. With no cracks between paving slabs to worry about, I can wear thinner and higher heels, enjoying the experience without wrecking one of my more expensive styles. B) I would prefer to own 5" heels that didn't have a stiletto heel, but the only ones I know of are either courts [Fuss] or made in patent [burlesque Blue].

Maybe I'll wait until September 2011 when Westfield Stratford City is due to open? B)

Reason for edit: Grammar.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Freddy,

I may be back down South from 6th March for a week if a meet up is any good, I just have to make sure that the car has passed its MOT first before I make any final plans!

Freddy,

I may be back down South from 6th March for a week if a meet up is any good, I just have to make sure that the car has passed its MOT first before I make any final plans!

I'm always up for a meet. If you are around for a week we could have a look around London again, and if Euchrid couldn't get there too, possibly we could meet him in Berkhamstead. [About the same amount of travelling for us all?] Maybe food and a chat?

If it's quiet enough, might even get shyguy there too...... :DB)

Back into London tomorrow......

Whistle-stop tour ......

Westfield for about an hour [maybe buying shoes] then Oxford Street to do some returns ... I hope. Weather is looking not too good, so no hiking around the streets. :D

Ha! What do I know......

Went to Schuh store in Oxford Street first. Arrived at 7.35pm and left around 8.10pm ..... Yes 10 minutes after the store closed.....

Went there for some shoes I'd checked were in the store, before leaving to collect. On arrival, I was greeted with vacant look, that just got more and more expectant they were going to be telling me I had wasted my [30 mile] journey. I waited so long I didn't get to do my ALDO returns .... But eventually, I did get the shoes. :D

Twice now, Schuh have tried to induce an anxiety attack using the same method ..... What doesn't help, is there seems to be a complete store-wide staff change at 5pm, with no handover taking place. Next time, I'm not only going to check the shoes are 'in store', but I'll be making sure I get the name of the person I'm talking to and the EXACT location of my intented purchase.

[That, or get a job there. - I wish. B) ]

Traumatised ..... I skulked off to Paul's for a hot chocolate boost, before driving home. Westfield put off for another day. B)

There is some prospect of a small gathering between Thursday 17th March and Monday 21st March.

Would be nice to see some new faces ..... And some more familiar ones too. :)

London is easy to get to/from and there's plenty to do once there, so it's an obvious choice. If anyone wants to get involved, do please give some indication of when you could join in over that weekend. :( Time and exact date is undecided, so it could be arranged around your availability.

You're obviously interested in heels or you wouldn't be reading this. Join in, and meet some others with a similar interest. :D

Reason for edit: Grammar.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Beginning to look like Friday evening March 18th is a goer.

Options are Berkhampstead and Tring since these are places fairly central to those who might attend. Tring might be busier, suggestions welcome. [i wouldn't have the first clue.]

I have a girlfriend who knows the area a bit, perhaps I'll ask her for some recommendations. :(

So ......

Tomorrow if Friday the 18th ... Is it on, or is it off? B) PM's sent .... now waiting answers. B)

It's off. :rolleyes:

This place is full of old men welded to their arm chairs. B)

Plan B anyone? :D

Plan B, London, this Sunday.

(i) Oxford Street

(ii) Westfield

(iii) Camden

Shorter visit ..... !0.30/11am to 2pm perhaps? :rolleyes: Just in case some of the old folk can unweld themselves from their comfy chairs. :D

Dunno if it can be described as 'last minute', but there is a meet in the offing on Saturday 9th April. :rolleyes:

Dunno if it can be described as 'last minute', but there is a meet in the offing on Saturday 9th April. :rolleyes:

This was cancelled at the last minute due to a bout of Bloke Flu, that I couldn't shake off and is still affecting me some weeks later. sad.gif

Meeting is currently rescheduled for this coming Saturday, 23rd April, at a North London shopping mall. Any takers? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Meeting is currently rescheduled for this coming Saturday, 23rd April, at a North London shopping mall. Any takers? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Weeeeeell....

One of the staunch 'meet' supporters Euchrid, met myself and my walking partner as planned at Brent Cross. cool.gif

Bit of a minor hiccup as we couldn't contact him initially despite knowing he was in the mall, but we got there in the end. Long coffee break to start with, before a walk around the stores. Not a great time for getting bargains as we are in mid-season, and current shoe styles are strappy sandals and flats anyway.

My 4" heeled 'cowboy' style boots are pretty unobtrusive, but they got noticed by one or two people there. Most notably, the security fella at Office. He left his conversation with a shop assistant by the front door, and followed us into the store. His gawp at my footwear wasn't as discreet as I would have liked, so I gave him an even better look as we left. I put this minor incident down to my recent lack of practice. It may mean I have a 'wiggle' (or something like it) that's telegraphing my heel height. Solution? Wear heels more often. biggrin.gif

We got to see in all the (shoe) shops, and wouldn't have minded moving onto to Camden with Euchrid, but pressure of time prevented this as I had to return the [borrowed] car to its owner. huh.gif Perhaps in a week or two.wink.gif

Anyway, pleasant event. cool.gif

Birmingham's Bullring tomorrow ...... cool.gif

This got cancelled at the last minute, but tomorrows visit won't be cancelled.

Cardiff .... See you soon. The Freddy's will be there Saturday and Sunday. cool.gif

The Cardiff visit was truly brilliant. It was such a good weekend, I'll have to do a write up later in the week. biggrin.gif Rated 11 out of 10. cool.gif

It's looking more and more likely I'll be at Westfield ~ Stratford this Friday 16th September.

I'm hoping to be wearing heels. A pair of Carvela Menzies ..... if I can hold my nerve .... wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I've mentioned before, security at Westfield malls is very 'present'. I doubt you're ever far from an employee (or two) with handsets linked to camera operators watching shoppers. I'm sure I've been noticed [in heels] walking around the White City branch in the past...... huh.gif

Stratford is very ethnic, and I'm sure many will wonder if there is a long-term opportunity for the stores there, given the budgets of the locals. White City is closer to the wealthier parts of London, but even that is never busy when I've been there. I'd guess the rents and service costs at Stratford will be higher, even heart-stoppingly high ..... ohmy.gif

With free parking at Lakeside and Bluewater, saving a little time, is the only benefit of Stratford that I can see?

Reason for edit: Link added.

Edited by FastFreddy2

I like the shoes. Why do you say though "if I hold my nerves"?

And as for security, if you go out in public, you'll be seen of course. Why would security be more of a concern than any other one?

Now, I can certainly understand part of the excitement because I cannot be in public in heels and it would be nerve wracking for me for the first attempts at least. Yesterday I went to a cheap shoe store and tried some half calf boots. When people came in I became very nervous. They were nice and at 40$ not too expensive but since they'd be hidden in a closet...