FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

On 6/29/2018 at 1:32 AM, FastFreddy2 said:

If you are still looking ....

ALDO have something along this line. I would show a picture, and include a link, but ALDO has a shyte search engine and a shyte website. Consequently I can't show you the very elegant looking high heeled closed toe mules I saw 'in-store' last week.  I would like to own a pair myself, but at circa £50+ (reduced to) I won't be buying. And since I can't find them on their shyte web site, I won't be talking myself into buying them either. 

If I go near one of their shyte stores, I'll try to take a picture, just for reference really. :rolleyes:

tenno_black_97_main_sq_gy_800x800.jpg

2132748979_ALDOtenno.jpg.0a7833ed2f67e375ed5dc649e6c4abaf.jpg

ALDO Tenno.

Originally available in red or black (possibly white) at £80. Only smaller sizes available now (red or black) at £40.

Yes, the weather has become a tad tiresome and uncomfortable, although a little cooler in many areas south of London.   But it was noticeably warmer in deepest Suffolk over the weekend when I visited, albeit with just enough breeze to induce a little comfort.  And rain, although very sparse, has appeared on a few occasions with (would you believe) a brief downpour causing localised flooding in West Kent last Thursday (not for the first time).  Driving without aircon must be awful; fortunately mine works adequately. 

One minor bonus of the fine weather is that Wimbledon and other mind-numbingly boring periodic events have not been disrupted, so TV schedules etc have not been as adversely affected as is usual, despite the attempts of the World Cup to dominate our lives.   I shall, as always, be glad when the circus is all over.    And then it will be winter Olympics or somesuch ...

Watched the weather report this morning, and just about all of the UK due to have some sort of rain today, ranging from light shower to enough rain to cause localised flooding. At the time of writing (2 am) I think my county must be one of the few places that managed to dodge it all. Still some signs of cloud cover, but no rain. Yet I live in one of the dampest places I know. If it rains anywhere, it rains here. :rolleyes:

Worse news on the weather report tonight, we could be seeing temperatures up in the mid 30's C by the middle of next week, and the 2-3 week forecast is more of the same. Great for children on school holidays, not so good for anyone else, nor anything else. We are moving into our third (almost completely) dry month, at least around here. Where months of rain had moved to damp but warm weather, grass was green, lush and producing an almost Amazonian feel to the world. This is long gone, with brown, dried out grass everywhere. With hosepipe bans imminent, even die-hard enthusiastic gardeners will be struggling to keep their gardens and produce "alive". The general look of my immediate environment is much like that of Spain, where apparently, our heat is coming from. They have it even worse, with daily temperatures reaching 40' C. An intolerable temperature for me.

It's not all been bad news on the going out front though. I managed to get out for a while last week. With a shower promised (that again never arrived) I went to Westfield. Finding myself unusually thirsty, I went to John Lewis only to discover their coffee shop closes at 8, an hour before the store shuts and two hours before the centre. Then I couldn't find a Costa, (closed/gone) nor the listed Caffe Nero and desperate for a drink, I settled for a Friji milkshake from Waitrose. Not sure why these coffee shops were closed/missing, but I saved myself £1-50 and justified a chocolate flavoured calorie boost that I've forced myself to avoid for around a year. "Needs must" innit. ;) :D 

Waitrose couldn't be further away from JL, so I had quite a workout in heels. Having arrived later in the day, there wasn't time for a leisurely stroll to get around, it was more a brisk walk that seemed like proper 'exercise'. It may that, and the temperature that make me unusually thirsty. That milkshake  'hit the spot' but probably contained 600 calories, what should be almost a quarter of my daily intake. (Hence my avoidance during the past year or so.)

With children's school holidays with us for the next 6 weeks, I will be avoiding malls during the day. I would say children are 3 to 4 times more observant than adults, which may or may not be influenced by their height and boredom levels.

I can't say how much I'd like to walk around in sandals with a high heel, in these temperatures. There are a lot of interesting styles around at the moment, many involving perspex. In the next life ..... :huh: 

Yes, it has remained extremely hot (and increasingly humid) in the south east.   I was (supposedly) 'relaxing' on the north Kent coast yesterday and today and the temperatures were certainly in the high 20s.   The 'rain' yesterday (only) was literally a few intermittent drops that one hardly noticed - and which was barely even refreshing.   Temperatures of 30C are likely midweek and little sign of a change.   I am going on a short canal trip in Surrey on Monday (a friend's birthday event) and it seems likely that it will be further shortened by potential water shortages, alas.

Not good weather for any sort of activity involving effort, inside or out.   Certainly not for the three days I spent doing plumbing at my stepson's house in Suffolk last week - a propane blowtorch is a trifle too warm in close confined spaces even when the ambient temperature is modest. Still, I managed to lose about 6lbs over the period; not unwelcome but all too easily replaced (assuming a Waitrose milkshake or three).   Very easy to get dehydrated; drinking lots of water is essential.

As to footwear, it is definitely sandal weather for me; the briefer the better.   I don't have any with heels that could conceivably be worn outside but I've seen a number of interesting 'barely there' styles on women that I would definitely wear if protocol allowed.   And wedges are always attractive if not of the clumpy type.   My observations suggest that few women are wearing heeled sandals at present (at least during the day) - plenty of strappy flats including umpteen varieties of flip-flops, a few modest wedges and occasional low block-heeled slingbacks.   Stiletto styles, if any, seem mostly confined to dressy evening activity - so I rarely see any as I'm invariably at home after teatime, and in bed knackered by 10.30.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:13 PM, Puffer said:

Not good weather for any sort of activity involving effort, inside or out.   Certainly not for the three days I spent doing plumbing at my stepson's house in Suffolk last week - a propane blowtorch is a trifle too warm in close confined spaces even when the ambient temperature is modest. Still, I managed to lose about 6lbs over the period; not unwelcome but all too easily replaced (assuming a Waitrose milkshake or three).   Very easy to get dehydrated; drinking lots of water is essential.

I just wouldn't do it. :o

Yesterday I changed my T-shirt 3 times. My armpits just can't stop leaking..... This week, we are promised low to mid 30'C heat with humidity to match, I expect it to feel like Spring in the Everglades :rolleyes: without the prospect of aircon for respite. I've had enough. 

Yesterday I had planned to go to the Thames for a refreshing walk along some waterfront, it being closer than any coastal opportunity. I didn't make it. The humidity took its toll, and I returned home early without ever putting on a heel. :(

Edited by FastFreddy2

We are finally, a bit more than a week into more British weather that passes for our summer. We are promised a blast from the North (Arctic) care of the transatlantic jet stream in the coming days. Yes, our proper weather has returned. Sadly, so have the shorter daylight hours.

Was out Sunday for a couple of hours at one of my usual haunts. Thought I'd struggle in a heel since it had been so long, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Had a nice surprise in that I spotted a middle-aged lady who obviously looks after herself, out in some attractive 4" stiletto heels. I saw a younger girl wearing some red high heel ankle boots too. No camera (left at home) so no pictures. Was still warm at the mall, so left before close of business.

I'm hoping to be wearing a heel tomorrow night (Thursday). Might be heading to Westfield, although schools are out so might be full of teenagers. Wetter weather is on the way, so it might have to be a mall.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Was in the West End last night, and looking through camera equipment (Christmas shopping for me).

Got spotted wearing a heel. Very spotted.

When I needed assistance, I contrived to have the 'spotter' help me. Went very well. No negativity, quite the opposite. I suppose I should have asked what they thought, but an opinion either way would not have any influence. So why ask?

One of the things I often concern myself with, is falling over while wearing a heel. Falling over is bad enough, but in a heel!

This afternoon while crossing a road and face stuck in a text message (so not looking where I was going) .... In flat (work)  shoes, I tripped. Felt like I was going over as I crossed the road. Fortunately, I'd wisely waited for an empty road .... With my hands inches from the road and me dreading bloodied palms, I managed to regain my balance. Must have looked like a goose making a bad landing, but I kept off the floor (road). That'll teach me. Read all the time about people with head-stuck-in-phone coming a cropper, and nearly did that very thing. Mental note to self: 'No more walking while looking at phone'.) :rolleyes:   

Edited by FastFreddy2