Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

Walking in 5 inch heels was just the challenge I expected....

The fair weather kept me busy in the garden until past my departure time. Once I had bathed, I readied and went into London. In hindsight I can confirm I wasn't the only person in the Home Counties to think it was a good idea as the road into London was unusually busy for a weekday.

As an aside, almost as soon as I walked into Oxford Street, I got spotted by one East European as he walked towards us, (my hip action I expect) who quickly got his two mates to look around too. I was in my longest jeans, and I'm fairly confident it was a wasted look. Not a great start to the evening though..... 

There was still time to do some window shopping/trouser-trying-on and jersey-top-trying on, but it was disappointingly late, though many shops were still open due to the Thursday (and Friday) late evenings on offer. I had parked close to Debenhams, but not actually gone inside. We had walked West toward Bond Street and the two shops I really wanted to visit. Once I had tried on the bits I might buy (but didn't) we carried on walking toward a restaurant I had a discount voucher for. It was a bit of a trek (especially in heels) but I thought a long walk back after a late meal, might do me some good. ;)

When we arrived at the venue, I thought that perhaps I had the wrong part of the street. After a minute or two, I realised the building covered over for renovations, was the same one I had planned to eat in! We had a long walk back, getting more hungry and thirsty with each step. By now it was night time, and 'hip' sway was less obtrusive, as were my heels.

Back at the car (finally) I drove East towards another of the restaurant franchises I was familiar with. Fate was against me, in that Westminster had decided April was road repair month. Try as i might, road closures and their detours had me in Piccadilly, which is waaaay South of where I wanted to be. Trying to get back towards Holborn, had me driving past another restaurant in the franchise, so we parked and strode back to the restaurant.

At this point we are in the bit of London I know as the Haymarket. Theatres all over the place, and no surprises we might walk past some 'talent'. Having a post performance cigarette, we walked past (and practically into) >> James Dreyfus << who is currently playing the lead role in "Harvey" at the Theatre Royal. He is possibly best known to UK audiences for his multiple camp TV roles .... Roles I always thought were quite likely inspired by experience? If not, he was very convincing.  ;)  Anyway, I got past him without any physical contact, but it was a close run thing.

We arrived at the restaurant very late. Fortunately we planned to share a starter and a main course, so our order was quick and easy to produce. Having smaller portions were a necessity given the time. It didn't stop us being the last customers to leave, and there was only 3 staff left when we did....

This time the car was parked about 100 yards away so we were back on the road home quite quickly. I got back around midnight, a little more than 2 hours after I had originally planned to return. At least an hour of that was due to us walking to a closed restaurant and having to find another, of course. 

My feet certainly got the work-out I had hoped, but it was obvious to me my ankles need some (re)training. I'll need to spend more time wearing heels, perhaps at home were I almost never wear them.  :huh:

Edited by FastFreddy2

Just to keep our international members up to speed.....

"Technically", as of June 1st (in an hours time) it is considered summer here in the UK. Where I am in Herts, it'll be circa 6 degrees C around 4am this morning. That's pretty much a warm winters day in England.  :huh:

Went into the West End last week Sunday, couple of the large stores have mid-season promotions on. They might be discounting anyway, but at the moment, the absence of summer means normal (non-discounted) sales are slow. People are maybe buying outfits for holidays, but most weeks it rains 3 or 4 days out of 7, and temperatures have generally been low for the time of year. Global warming? Global wetting for us - with no part of the UK being more than 70 miles from a coastline....

So last Sunday, I saw two pair of shoes I liked in Debenhams. Both reduced, one by 50% and one by around 70%. Because of the reduction they were exchange only, no refunds, so both pairs stayed in store. The pair I really liked, and tried on (discreetly) in store, where these:

post-40-0-44797900-1433110367_thumb.jpg  On sale for just under £30, but no returns.

I wasn't sure - although I love the style, so they stayed in store. I may order them on-line which gives me 7 days to work out if I can keep them on my feet.

A second pair, discounted from £35 to £10-50 didn't look much, so they stayed too.

A week later (today, May 31st) I've decided I should buy the £10-50 shoes. I had bought them months ago, but had decided the original price of £35 for a PU shoe was too much, so they were returned. Remembering them to be quite comfortable, and not overly 'girlie' despite the heel, I decided to chance my arm on a revisit to see if I could get them, and they were still there. Bargain.

I did try on two other pairs, one pair of formal (ladies) flats ( :o) and another pair of very high block heeled sandals, both in a UK7. The flats looked nice, but were just a tad on the tight side. I would ALWAYS wear socks with shoes, so these were a no-no, sadly. The sandals fitted, and were felt really high, but I can't do open toes for obvious reasons. They stayed too.

post-40-0-01675900-1433116034_thumb.jpg No pictures found of the flats ....

Usually on these jaunts in late Spring/early Summer, we would venture down to the Thames for a stroll along the river during the evening. Not today, as it was decidedly cool, and disappointingly breezy. The weathermen on TV have compared our current weather to that we normally get in Autumn. Given the 6 degrees expected in the early hours of tomorrow, I would say they mean late Autumn. Some parts of Scotland, those in waaay up in the North, might even see some snow tonight.  :o What a start to Summer?

More rain and more wind is promised during the coming 5 days. We have been promised sunshine next weekend, but we've been promised sunshine at the "end of the week" for the last three weeks, so will it finally arrive? One of our on-line newspapers claims a heatwave is on the way ..... To be honest, getting our first really hot day this late in the year will be a shock to us all. From 6 degrees to 30 C will be like walking into a furnace, as we won't have spent months getting conditioned up to that sort of temperature. :huh:

When the warmer weather arrives, I hope to be getting out more, as I hope we all will? ;)   B)  

Edited by FastFreddy2

Both pairs are nice. I have a pair of stiletto mules (can't remember where I got them). They are fine at staying on my feet because of the slight bit of material at the back of the heel.

I have also seen a lot of ladies with a style similar to the second pair but with a closed toe. So hopefully you can find a pair that you would be able to wear. They are called cut out ankle boots. I did a quick search (web and image) and got a lot of possibilities.

Did I read right. You nearly got a pair of ladies flat shoes? :) Flats are nice too. You should try them.

Edited by hh4evr1

I picked up the flats because they were a very shiny leather, but not quite a patent shiny. There was only one pair, and they were a size 7. I got my feet in them, and could have worn them, but I would prefer to wear socks with flat shoes rather than hose so had to leave them. I had hoped to find them in an 8 on-line, but no luck.

I have some mens shoes I bought from Marks, some time ago. One pair, perhaps as long ago as 4/5 years. Neither pair has ever been on my feet save for trying them for size before buying. I have almost no social life to speak of, so have no real need for mens shoes. The odd occasion I do mix locally with people, or get involved with family meetings, I have some Matalan mens shoes (terrible quality) I wear. 

Not only were the shoes quite shiny, but that they had a 'slimmer' (girl fit) look to them, and I like 'slim'.  ;)

Due to the demands of my allotment (read weeds r us) I started my journey into London in the evening yesterday (Sunday) rather than in the afternoon which is my normal departure time. This delay was made worse by two, "stand-still" grade hold ups on the A1 into London. The first, which added 20 minutes to the journey time while my car was parked, looked to have been caused by a broken down car in the fast lane. No idea what the second hold up was, as I managed to take a detour before joining the other parked up cars. That added another 15 minutes and made a one mile journey at 70mph into a 5 mile journey where I barely moved fast enough to get into 4th gear .....

So I arrived with my companion into the West End, for around 8.30pm which is more usually going home time on a Sunday. We went to one of our usual haunts for food, and between us managed to spend the princely sum of £32-50 plus £4-50 tip that I can assure you was earned by a very good waiter. At the time I was wearing my M+S pointed cowboy style boots with a 4½ inch heel. Got spotted 30 yards from the restaurant by a young ethnic lad who was sitting at a table with his family. He gawped at my boots, then gawped even more intently at me. (So rude. :D) I could hear him excitedly tell his family as we walked past. I hope he enjoyed the show .....  ;)  :)

Out of the restaurant, it was after 10pm, and still fairly warm despite the wind. It wasn't fully dark either (longest day of the year is only two weeks away) so it felt like it was too early to go home. The original plan for the day was a post meal walk along the river. Although considerably later than expected, our full tummies demanded some exercise before we travelled.

The drive down to the river wasn't quick, as the route I know took us through Piccadilly, and around Trafalgar Square. The parking spaces I've used in the past weren't open due to roadworks, so I had to drive along the river. There's a road behind the Savoy Hotel, that allows unrestricted parking in the evening. While turning into the junction, a 7 tonne lorry that had turned into the road, couldn't progress past the junction so held us up. At the time, I thought it typical of the day :rolleyes:  ...... The lorry had to reverse, and drove away, since the road appeared unpassable. The car in front, a limo sized taxi, also tried to get further down the road and couldn't. We were sat (parked) behind him. As we waited (only seconds) a young slim lady with long blonde hair wearing a silver evening dress with REALLY high ivory coloured shoes, got into the car after the driver opened the door for her. (She was using her hands to hold her dress off the floor.) It was Ellie Goulding. The cab drove off, as did we, as the entrance to the road was still blocked by an excess of traffic leaving the junction.

post-40-0-18076600-1433806704_thumb.jpg Ellie at another award event.

Having parked up some 200 yards further down the road by Temple, we walked back looking to use Waterloo bridge to cross the river. For the long walk, I'd changed into my ALSO boots with the 5" heel, (avatar.) so it wasn't a fast walk. ;) As we approached the bridge, there were more limo's leaving the Savoy exit, so I decided we should go up to have a look .....

Outside the hotel's rear entrance/exit, there was a string of cars with "The South Bank Sky Arts Awards" logo's over the doors. We strolled along the back of the Savoy on the public path passing film crews stowing equipment readying to leave, and actually trod on the red carpet as we slowly walked further up the road. There were some people at the doorway waiting for their car, and the unmistakable voice of Hugh Bonneville was heard from just inside the doorway. Neither of us looked, as we were trying to be inconspicuous, while trying to suck in everything that was going on. :D    

post-40-0-27078800-1433806866_thumb.jpg Hugh Bonneville in Downton Abbey role - possibly.

To get up to the Strand to walk across the bridge from where we were, it's necessary to walk up quite a steep path alongside the Savoy Theatre. Walking up the hill, which felt like walking up a stairway in my heels, we passed the black actor Paterson Joseph deep in conversation with an attractive lady enjoying the last of a cigarette. Again we pretended we hadn't noticed them, while getting as good a look as possible.  ;)

post-40-0-97983400-1433806742_thumb.jpg Currently in HBO's "The Leftovers"

We then walked the short route along the Strand, to Waterloo bridge. Coincidently, this was the very spot we'd spent 30-40 minutes on New Years eve some 6 months ago, waiting for a fireworks show.... I had been wearing the same shoe boots too. This time, we managed to cross the bridge without having thousands of others to push through.

The circuit was across the bridge, up the South Bank to one of the Golden Jubilee bridges which was used to cross back over the river, then back along the Embankment returning to the car. Not sure of the distance, but it took 30-40 minutes which greatly helped moving the food into a more comfortable place.

Thankfully the journey home was completely uneventful - and much much shorter in time. B)  

I had expected to see some reports of the Sky event together with some pictures in the media today, but they are full of the Tony Awards in the US, which is a significantly bigger event. I found one article, but no pictures of Miss Goulding and her shoes ... Maybe there'll be some pictures later in the week. I can't imagine a news agency like Sky will miss the chance to promote their own function somewhere?

An inexpensive and interesting night in heels then. :)  

P.S.

The award show will be broadcast this Wednesday at 8.00pm on Sky Arts 1.

Edited by FastFreddy2

We had some warmish weather on the weekend including Saturday 27th June.

Went to Westfield in London as I am desperate to find a pair of the Faith mules shown further up the thread. No luck with those, but did find some others at very little money. It was a worthwhile trip.

Faced with going home at 10.30pm or going deeper into London for a stroll along the river, I foolishly decided I wanted to give some other (higher) shoes a run out during the hours of darkness, so we went to Waterloo Bridge. What should have been a 20 minute drive, took well past an hour. By the time we arrived Mrs Freddy was on her 'last legs' with her feet not liking the warmer weather. 

While doing so under protest, she joined me for a walk along The Strand and into Covent Garden before returning to the car and the hour journey home. Even that was fraught because of the unusually high amount of traffic. The were two big gigs going on in London during Saturday, and the 'clever money' would have been on avoiding anywhere in London's West End. Some days I get an idea in my head that won't go away. A bit of warm weather, long days ..... Just can't stop myself.

When the warmer weather arrives, I hope to be getting out more, as I hope we all will? ;)   B)  

Just to keep readers up to speed -again- June did warm up a bit, but not much. Windy, with largely unpredictable weather, though mostly cool and dry. As above, the end of June saw temperatures rising ....

July arrived with a 'bang' and Wednesday the 1st achieving the highest recorded temperature for the month ever, at 37 degrees Centigrade. That's 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. So hot and humid that even at 10pm the outside temperature/humidity was unpleasant. Sleep was difficult.

I've been asked if I want to go out for a 'play' on Friday .... Not likely unless we get cooler weather. My car has some basic air-con, but once the interior furniture gets hot, the air-con struggles to cool the air adequately while travelling. It makes driving unpleasant. I much prefer the dry moderate weather we had in June. Mrs Freddy loves the heat, but them expects to lying down (on a lounger) with someone bringing her the occasional iced drink..... ;)  :D  

Edited by FastFreddy2

What a difference a couple of weeks makes here in the UK.

Last week we had terrific 'monsoon' grade night storm. Heavy rain (get your canoe out type rain) for almost 3 hours, with lightning flashes bouncing around the clouds while it rained.

Two days ago, we had a whole day of rain. 24 hours continuous for most places ....

Today (Sunday) I was supposed to be going to Camden with Mrs Freddy and a couple of members of the younger family. I had warned one of them my favourite girls jeans ("worn girls jeans since I was 19") were usually worn with some cowboy boots I own. I had planned to wear both today for the family outing.

Mrs Freddy wasn't sure, but as the boots do actually look like cowboy boots, so it was on the cards to do....

Today, it will be raining and fairly windy from 10am until late afternoon. The trip is consequently cancelled, as is my first step in letting some of the other family members knowing I wear a heel.  :(

Went to Bluewater today, Sunday.

Wore my M+S (very) pointed toe cowboy style boots. Despite one or two here saying they don't look very obvious (Puffer  ;)  :D) at least 2 family groups made a point of walking past me and Mrs Freddy, just to have a look at my footwear. A third group didn't so much make a point, they just noticed. Another (young) girl waiting for her mum/sister to come out of the changing room, nearly put a crease in her chest with her chin, staring at my feet. To be fair, she did stare at Mrs Freddy's shoes too....  Several other individuals noticed them, but as I was walking past them, they only got the barest of glimpses.

Although Bluewater is my favourite place to shop in the whole world, it is on my banned list thanks to those responsible for hiking up the Dartford Toll to £2-50 a trip AND firing all the staff manning the tolls, I won't/don't use the crossing if I have a choice. Today I went to Kent to buy a bike advertised on an auction site as "used" but in good condition. I have a particular reason for wanting the bike, so made the 160 mile round trip passing Bluewater/using the Dartford crossings to get there.

On arrival, or at least within 2 minutes of it, I knew the bike wasn't coming home with me. It had a number of undisclosed gouges out of at least one of the seat-stays. Something the idiots selling the bike thought wasn't a problem. A flat tyre isn't a problem. A rusty cable isn't a problem. A spot or two of missing paint, isn't a problem. Gouges in the thin walled aluminium tubing that supports my weight as I hack over rough terrain, IS a problem.... there were at least three of these around the same place on the drive side seat stay. To me the bike was scrap. I wasn't impressed.  :huh:

Had a better time at the shopping mall though. Despite the (rude) staring.  :D So did Mrs Free who got some very well made heeled shoes for £60, reduced from the sticker price of £225.

As I said to Mrs Freddy, I have/had spent too much time trying to please others, it's now time to please me. I want to wear a heel, and I'm old enough to know it's now or never. My only regret, is that I left it so late to wear them out so often.  ;)  Better late than newer.

Plus, the last family to walk past, that consisted of 5 or 6 people who had been sitting in the cafe where only two groups were sat - us and them with the heel of my boots in plain sight to them ..... Were so plain/unattractive, there was nothing they could say or think that could surpass my criticism of them. I'm not usually mean, but they practically walked around the whole gaff to have a look at us, and believe me when I say this .... the group looked like they hadn't married outside the family for some considerable time. :D  As Mrs Freddy said in her (sometimes) supportive way, at least I can take my shoes off.  :P   :D Not that I'm an oil painting, but at least I wash my hair and my clothes occasionally, and don't look like I've spent half my life under a sun-bed....

The 'near-miss' was the first family .... I have a mate, who married a younger woman from a country where the people there have a bit of colour in their skin. This fella in the shop today, was so similar in looks and stature, for a couple of heartbeats, I thought it was him. Undecided, I saw him talk to a younger looking woman with a bit of colour to her skin (olive) before she turned around to look in my direction ..... It was the young lad with them that finally gave them away really, as my mate and his wife don't have any children together. I was quite relieved I don't mind saying. While we don't share a common social circle, he knows a lot of people, and a good few of them know me.  :huh: Disaster avoided .....

So feeling relieved .... I wasn't too bothered the "word in her ear" was about my footwear. She had turned to spot me, and after mumbling something back, she nearly walked in a different direction to her partner trying to glimpse at my footwear. :rolleyes: She stopped smiling when she realised I was watching her, watching me ... The three of them didn't stop again on their journey out of the store. 

One other thing (NOT heel related) ......

We often read shocking and distressing things about children in the media. When we entered the mall at Bluewater, Mrs Freddy used the loo and I stood outside. While she was absent, a fella walked past me and several other men on waiting duty, toward the car park. He had a screaming/distressed child over his shoulder, who was shouting "I want my mummy. I want my mummy. I want my mummy". Now you would think, SOMEONE would ask WTF was going on, wouldn't you? This fella had, as far as anyone could tell, walked off with someone else's child. People looked (the child was screaming quite loudly), but no-one did a thing. Well, nearly no-one.

I was wearing 4½ inch heels, and quite noisy heels at that. I was loathe to move anywhere without an escort for fear of getting any more attention than I might already have .... So I was compelled to wait for Mrs Freddy ..... As soon as she re-appeared we followed what I hoped was mum and child #2 up the ramp to the car park. We walked across the car park to make sure, and she was. Dad and child #1 were sitting in the car already. (Easy to spot, large number on his white tee-shirt.) Had that not been the case, my phone and three key presses on the number 9 was my next move. Mrs Freddy usually thinks I'm nuts when I try to carry out my civic duty, but this time she was very much 'on-side'.  What I can't believe, is that no-one else did anything to ensure he wasn't a kidnapper.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." Anon. (Attributed to Edmund Burke, but not found in his writings.)

• Like 1

Interesting experiences, Freddy.   My two-pennorth, for what it's worth:

1.   I do like those M&S boots (having looked back to your earlier posting about them) and I did then say that I thought they had a good side profile.   I don't think I ever said that they were not obvious, but I certainly feel that they are appropriate for male public wearing.   It is probably the thinness of the heel (from the rear) rather than the height that makes them rather obviously not a male boot.   I can't say I'm surprised that they got noticed (despite, presumably, being partially concealed under trousers) but as most of the onlookers weee neanderthals, their reactions can be largely discounted.

2.   I'm in Kent, so Bluewater is more accessible to me although I have rarely been there.   If going to Lakeside, I have the comparable Dartford problem.   Although I share your dislike of the crossing (traffic and cost) and don't often need to use it, I have opened an account, which reduces the charge to £1.67 and avoids the aggravation of remembering to pay each time.   My wife's car is on the same account.

3.   Yesterday apart, do you find Bluewater a good place for heeling generally?   I imagine it is large enough and anonymous enough to 'get lost', barring the chances of meeting an acquaintance.

4.   I sympathise regarding the 'abduction' episode; it is very difficult to know what to do for the best.   I have seen or been involved in a couple of similar situations over the years and it is easy to feel (or be accused of being) in the wrong if intervening.   And I remember on one occasion a naughty little boy running away from his mum inside a shop and literally falling over my feet as he dashed outside.   What else to do but help him up, winded - and then to be accused by the emerging mother of interfering with him in some way.   Fortunately, the whole thing was witnessed by another pedestrian, who immediately made it very clear to mum - and suggested that her lack of control was disgraceful!   As a father of two and stepfather to three (all boys), I find the suggestion that I might be interfering with kids very offensive - but I suppose understandable in this over-sensitive and over-protective world.

5.   On a general point not immediately obvious to me, although implicit from your various posts, is it the case that your wife understands/tolerates/supports your liking for heels?   As she appears to be aware of your collection and sometimes accompanies you when you wear them (and buy them?), I suppose she must be at least tolerant - in which case I envy you.

• Like 1

Interesting experiences, Freddy.   My two-pennorth, for what it's worth:

1.   I do like those M&S boots (having looked back to your earlier posting about them) and I did then say that I thought they had a good side profile.   I don't think I ever said that they were not obvious, but I certainly feel that they are appropriate for male public wearing.   It is probably the thinness of the heel (from the rear) rather than the height that makes them rather obviously not a male boot.   I can't say I'm surprised that they got noticed (despite, presumably, being partially concealed under trousers) but as most of the onlookers were Neanderthals, their reactions can be largely discounted.

Firstly, I have taken the liberty of correcting two obvious mistakes, made during (doubtless) furtive/busy typing.  ;)   :D I agree fully with the sentiment of the highlighted remark.  B) 

I tend to wear my jeans dangerously long. Dangerous in that I do sometimes land a heel on the back hem, which if walking on a smooth surface (shop or mall lobby) is tantamount to skating on ice. So far, no bad landings. I get spotted by the toe, I am absolutely sure. I don't get to notice anyone looking at me from behind because I'm seldom looking backward, and my paranoia forbids anyone follow me for more than 10 paces, where upon I stop moving or take a detour. I may well be spotted from behind, and I know the inbred family sat at 90 degrees to my unhidden heels while we shared a venue. Almost always, I see people 'clock' the sharp/small/toe shape that sticks out from under my dark jeans. More often by women than men, though not necessarily the case in Bluewater.   

Edit: Photo of shoes, as seen by others:

post-40-0-96439200-1439853474_thumb.jpg

2.   I'm in Kent, so Bluewater is more accessible to me although I have rarely been there.   If going to Lakeside, I have the comparable Dartford problem.   Although I share your dislike of the crossing (traffic and cost) and don't often need to use it, I have opened an account, which reduces the charge to £1.67 and avoids the aggravation of remembering to pay each time.   My wife's car is on the same account.

I didn't know that, and Mrs Freddy (who was given the chore of compiling details), did not make me aware of this. That said, since this is likely a one off journey, I am loathe to give my details to another agency for them to sell off. I try to maintain a minimum electronic presence where possible. The galling thing for me is that a squad of people lost their jobs, and there is now no maintenance work required for equipment also removed. Why is the charge more expensive? In fact why are we paying, since the bridge was paid for some time ago?

3.   Yesterday apart, do you find Bluewater a good place for heeling generally?   I imagine it is large enough and anonymous enough to 'get lost', barring the chances of meeting an acquaintance.

Kent people, seem a little harder to shock, than Essex people. I really do like the place.

4.   I sympathise regarding the 'abduction' episode; it is very difficult to know what to do for the best.   I have seen or been involved in a couple of similar situations over the years and it is easy to feel (or be accused of being) in the wrong if intervening.   And I remember on one occasion a naughty little boy running away from his mum inside a shop and literally falling over my feet as he dashed outside.   What else to do but help him up, winded - and then to be accused by the emerging mother of interfering with him in some way.   Fortunately, the whole thing was witnessed by another pedestrian, who immediately made it very clear to mum - and suggested that her lack of control was disgraceful!   As a father of two and stepfather to three (all boys), I find the suggestion that I might be interfering with kids very offensive - but I suppose understandable in this over-sensitive and over-protective world.

I saw -I'm sure- inside a store at Brent Cross, a very similar situation. I think I repeat myself (from many pages before), but mum was so wrapped in her shopping, she completely lost track of 'junior'. When she realised he was missing, there were screams and blind panic. I do not overstate this, sheer, blind, panic. He had left the store, but had not wandered far, thankfully. We were all relieved of course, and then follows the thought; "What mother in her right mind loses sight ........ etc etc." 

5.   On a general point not immediately obvious to me, although implicit from your various posts, is it the case that your wife understands/tolerates/supports your liking for heels?   As she appears to be aware of your collection and sometimes accompanies you when you wear them (and buy them?), I suppose she must be at least tolerant - in which case I envy you.

Mrs Freddy is very tolerant of me and my heeling activities. She is very tolerant of me in general really ....  :huh:

Long story short, she has always been aware of my taste for looking at girls in heels (her included), and my background in wearing them too. We had been together for well over ten years when I started wearing them again. It's not what she would prefer (which is actually me back in a suit), but she's realistic. It's too strong in me to ignore, and it means she gets to go shopping for shoes fairly often. In fact it means she gets to go shopping in large malls or shopping areas like the West End quite often. Much, much much more than any of her social circle. It's seen as a win/win really. I'm often pleasantly surprised she will hold my hand or my arm as we walk, indicating we are a couple, which is the best camouflage I know of;)

I also have one or two other 'ladies' that have been around (one that is still around) for heeling company when Mrs Freddy is busy or tired/working. I am lucky, and I know I am. I have to say though, given my ineptness overall, I could only ever have a long-term relationship with someone who is as tolerant as Mrs Freddy appears to be. The thing with the shoes, is another straw on a heavily laden relationship, but I help just enough (usually) to avoid disasters. It may not seem it here, but I can be quite charming when a situation calls for it.  ;)

Most women I'm sure, would be very resistant. But headstrong women (anyone resembling my mother in fact) could not be part of my life if I have anything to do with it. I'm big on easy going, which suits very few of the female gender. I don't drink or gamble. I don't smoke (sorry), and other than a little/mild OCD I've no real vices. So an interest in heels is a cheap (relatively) interest with side advantages like my need to get out in the world where other people are. I almost never wear heels at home, from choice. I don't wear outdoor shoes at home, so why would I with heels? I can also put a meal together, wash/iron/decorate/repair just about anything that's worth repairing in the home ... On paper at least, I think I'm seen as an asset rather than liability.  ;)   :D

The downside for me, is that some days (Sunday) herself will buy shoes and I don't. She also has a seriously vast collection of largely unworn clothing, most of which is attractive to look at while she's wearing it. This, while I pretty much live out of a small plastic storage box as she has all the wardrobe/drawer space. :rolleyes:  :D   

These situations have been discussed before your arrival here, by (now less active) members, who looked to make progress in a similar situation. I'm fairly sure there were reports of change, though not always for the better. Euchrid, who pops in from time to time, has had some interesting experiences over the last couple of years, but these might be more comprehensively reported on HHp. 

I recently discovered what is for me, a new 'cyber' acronym care of a You Tube video: YOLO. You Only Live Once. I'm doing my bit to ensure I have as few death-bed regrets as possible. I'll have bucket loads I'm sure, but I'm trying to minimise them. ;)  :D   

P.S.

Additional picture added above.

Edited by FastFreddy2
  • Like 1

During the many trips to London's West End, I have unfortunately, damaged shoes. Usually though cracks in pavements, gaps between slabs, and of course gratings. It kinda comes with the territory I suppose, unlike shopping malls where the walkways are smooth and generally bump free.

Some months ago, during her first outing for months in heels, Mrs Freddy damaged a heel on an escalator. Brand new, never worn before shoes too. Two graunches up one heel. I was sick for her. Not least because it's the sort of disappointing incident that would encourage her to wear flats in future.

About 4 weeks later, the same escalator did the same to a pair of my heels. I felt the 'strike' on the shoe, though I didn't spot the damage until I returned home and took the shoes off. Because of Mrs Freddy's previous incident, I had made a point of remembering the time, and exact location when I felt the 'strike'. While once could be a genuine 'accident', twice in 4 weeks (with none for any of the many previous years) suggested faulty equipment. I wrote to the store involved, and checked the equipment days later myself.

Initially I got the usual "not our fault" letter, but I assured them I had evidence the escalator had a design fault, which it has. I also assured them I could use this as proof the two pairs of shoes were damaged in a way that should have been avoidable. While my claim was small, it was then settled, much to my (pleasant) surprise.  

While I've not gained anything in this compensation claim, I am wiser. Now I'm particularly careful when on the down ride. When the step behind rises (or the one you are on falls) the step behind moves upward and forward towards your standing position. In a flat heeled show this means nothing. If wearing a heel, that 'rising' step produces a motion that can score a high heel if the heel is positioned close enough. MOST of the stair segments have very rounded top edges, so serious damage is unlikely. In the store I made a claim to, the top edges are less rounded, and some don't seem rounded at all. So the moral to the tale is ... Keep your heel well away from the rising segment behind, on a down escalator. Some have a yellow painted line to indicate this unsafe zone, but not all do. 

Here endeth 'the lesson'. :D

Perhaps you would tell us which store was involved, Freddy.   I will then proceed to set up 'Damaged Heels R Us' as a claims management company and seek suitable compensation for all-comers - including of course that for mental anguish, loss of consortium, loss of amenity etc.   It should produce a 'high yield' result.   Our motto will be 'All claims escalated without delay'.

Must go now - I have to disconnect my car's brake lights so some unsuspecting innocent can run into the back of it. :wacko:

• Like 1

I have purposely avoided mentioning the store concerned as to avoid anyone/anywhere, associating my full details (which the store has) with my lifestyle choice - as in me choosing to wear high heels. 

As for the last two sentences in the post above, I must point out your undeniable failure to adhere to the unwritten rule on humour here. It's not allowed, and you have broken that rule TWICE in a single post.

You are obviously a "liberal", despite the overtones of your 'crash for cash' scheme suggesting you might be an entrepreneurial Tory. :P 

Next, you'll be suggesting 'wimmin' should get the vote ...

• Like 1

My abject apologies for the humour.   My tail would now be firmly between my legs if it wasn't for the skinny jeans I'm wearing.

IMy parents laughed when I told them I wanted to be a comedian - they're not laughing now.

• Like 1

With an impending birthday looming, I am being 'encouraged' to visit Westfield tonight. 

I have some shoes that need to be returned, and the store has an outlet there. After returning the shoes, I might be eating out by way of being a guest of my 'walking friend'. At the moment she has a cold. (Sounds like someone with a completely blocked nose.) It's not a sound I like ... Normally I treat those with 'colds' like they have the plague...

With my current workload through the roof, I'm loathe to go, but will have to go I suppose.

Next "trauma" .. What to put on my feet? :rolleyes: 

Fate stepped in ...

Got all my gear ready for a night out, and my sponsor cried off (as I suggested yesterday she might have to) because her nose was/is "running like a tap" and she didn't think it would be appropriate to eat in public... I did say. ;) :P :D

And I'd actually started looking forward to an evening out too. :rolleyes: :D 

Instead, spent the evening washing a kitchen ceiling, painting some coving, painting a textured wall with the wrong size roller, and wrong type of roller. (Was going to do a small patch on a textured wall with a small short haired roller, and got carried away, painting the whole wall. Duh!)

Spent 5½ hours in the evening, wearing 5 inch heels though, so it wasn't all bad. B)

Edited by FastFreddy2

Off to Londinium this afternoon. Been a long while coming.

We will be 'taking tea' at John Lewis at some stage, all are welcome. I'm happy to get the hot drinks in for anyone who joins us. I don't expect to have to put my hand in my pockets though. Usually, attendance to these 'last minute meetings' has always been poor. ;) :P :D

Footwear will be a PU shoe-boot from Debenhams with a 4½ inch heel. Very wearable, comfortable, and easy to get on/off should I find myself tempted to try something on. Not that I do try much on these days. I've plenty enough shoes, but I can still be tempted .... ;)

I will be out somewhere Wednesday/Thursday. Probably Stevenage (haven't decided on location 100% yet) if anyone would like to meet up.

I don't think you would be any good in the Mafia, Freddy: making an offer no-one can accept! :rolleyes:  As you say, unlikely that anyone could join you at such short notice, unless perchance already in the smoke.

A local friend works away in an upmarket watering hole he tells me is called 'St. Evenage' (sounds a bit French, I opine).   Would that be the place to which you refer, hh4evr1?  :unsure:

I don't think you would be any good in the Mafia, Freddy: making an offer no-one can accept! :rolleyes:  

Ah! Always the way ...

It was an offer so poor, even I didn't accept it. 

Decided to finish/complete the installation of the new bathroom sink. It is finished, but some trauma getting it thus, meant I was delayed enough to think the trip wasn't worthwhile. I'm still not sure if I have an ongoing problem with the cold water (mains) supply. More detail elsewhere.

I'd be surprised if your friend works in anything upmarket in Stevenage. Knebworth maybe ... Hitchin possibly ... 

Just as well no-one attempted to meet you in London, then, Freddy?   (At least, I hope not.)   You could have invited all to join you in the bathroom for a drink (or soaking) of water instead.

My friend is an industrial chemist; I didn't imply that his job (or even workplace) was upmarket - it is just the town name that gives that impression.   (St. Reatham in Sarf Lunnon is comparable.) 

Just as well no-one attempted to meet you in London, then, Freddy?   (At least, I hope not.)   You could have invited all to join you in the bathroom for a drink (or soaking) of water instead.

Historical experience suggests a meeting would be unlikely no-matter how much notice was given. As a general remark (one I've made a small number of times) men wearing heels are much more comfortable wearing them alone, at home, or in a car. Not that I would advocate a large gathering of men wearing heels in public as that might attract unwanted attention. (And has.) However, men who wear heels, mostly seem too busy elsewhere to indulge in meetings/social activity with other who share their ummm, hobby?

I'm not having a 'dig' at anyone here either. A look over at HHp for UK meetings will draw the same conclusion. London is a big place, that many people travel to during the year. How often is there a meet of anyone in London? 3 times a year, Twice? Even once a year? If our interest was tattoo's or trains, we'd be meeting at least once a year with like-minded people. :huh:

I'm sure you are right, Freddy, about general group meetings.   There is a difference however if and when two or three like-minded people get discreetly together by arrangement, probably encouraged by existing online contact.   We haven't met but we are engaging in regular intercourse :o, so I am open to sensible suggestions.

I loathe tattoos (with or without an extraneous apostrophe :rolleyes:) but am interested in 'trains' (or more accurately 'railways').

but am interested in 'trains' (or more accurately 'railways').

Did you go to Doncaster for The Gathering? (Of the Mallards.) To my regret, I did not. :(

Until about 10 years ago, I believed the Mallard design was that of the Flying Scotsman. (Duh.) Lovely shaped engine.

Did you go to Doncaster for The Gathering? (Of the Mallards.) To my regret, I did not. :(

Until about 10 years ago, I believed the Mallard design was that of the Flying Scotsman. (Duh.) Lovely shaped engine.

No, I did not; the A4 gathering was not special to my interests, albeit special for many others.   My interest in railways is essentially (a) operation and history - largely from my armchair; (b) operation in preservation (50 years' service on a particular heritage line).   Whilst I will travel on interesting railways and look at museum exhibits etc, I don't go out of my way to make many special journeys to the venues these days - by train or otherwise (see other posts!).   And 'modern' railways (post-1970 or so) do very little for me; their character has changed beyond all recognition.