Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

I have been messaging a new member on the hh meeting place. He is just getting his first pair of heels and he wants to meet up on the 17th July in Stevenage. If anyone is available and wants to join us they are welcome.

I also told him about this site, so he may join.

Edited by hh4evr1

Not sure I can make that, even though the venue is in my home county. :huh:

Is 'the plan' for the new heel owner to walk around in his new heels?

If he hasn't got a pair. He wants to try and find a pair.

I think he wants a stealthy pair for public wear. He may have trouble as he is size 10.

I may have another member hoping to join us if he isn't busy. I was hoping you could make it as you are more confident in trying shoes/boots on in the shop etc.

Hi, Not been around much in the last few years but might try to come on here more often. Have met ff before and would like to go on another heel met again.

Hi, Not been around much in the last few years but might try to come on here more often. Have met ff before and would like to go on another heel met again.

PM sent. :huh:

Part 1 of 3

Bit frustrating at times, but we did eventually meet. B)

Report and some piccies to follow. ;)

OOPS! :huh: Forgot to complete this ...... [Duh.] ;)

Myself with walking companion drove into the West End, and if I remember, we actually arrived at the agreed time. [Law of averages says even I must get it right occasionally.]

Got off to a good start by getting a quick 'snap' of shopping heels while in traffic queue. post-40-0-33320600-1375916044_thumb.jpg

Parked and met up with Euchrid. We three to Marks for coffee and chat. Waited for hh4evr1 who had rung to say he was on his way. B)

Half hour later, we were still waiting...... Time moving on, we three elected to start looking around the shops. We found out later, hh4evr1 had the right town, but wrong road, so wrong Marks. :rolleyes::D

The last time we three had met, we'd done the central section of Oxford Street, but not the Western end, where Primarni is located, hence meeting up and having coffee at Marks. The initial walk around the store retail area produced a picture of a shopper we would see several times again. .post-40-0-20512300-1375916757_thumb.jpg

Edited by FastFreddy2

Part 2 of 3

Leaving Marks, we walked out into the street. post-40-0-94981000-1375917634_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-60114300-1375917637_thumb.jpg Great shopping shoes!

We finally met up with hh4evr1 in Primarmi. [Primark, to the non-cynical.] While there,we had a good look at the shoe section, and were completely disappointed. I personally had hoped for some residual boots to be on sale, leftovers from winter, but no such luck.

Saw again, the shopper with the red bag (post above), but it was too busy in there to get a piccy.

Of the many shops we visited, Selfridges was included. New lines available, but sales lines were few. I tried on a couple of pairs, notably some KG stiletto shoes, but just couldn't justify owning another pair of courts I probably would never wear? :unsure:

Busy place though.

post-40-0-85818400-1375917960_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-03467500-1375918015_thumb.jpg

Saw our 'stalker' there (again) too. post-40-0-76724300-1375919214_thumb.jpg :D

Edited by FastFreddy2
  • Like 1

Part 3 of 3

Nicest style I saw worn all day. post-40-0-94546100-1375919509_thumb.jpg

I did get to a Jane Norman (horrible shops) where I finally managed to find a size 8 in their £25 court shoe. Perfect fit, but only available in white, as all black stock in my size had sold out. Visited another couple of shops, before having to say goodbye to Euchrid.

post-40-0-34095500-1375918478_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-11422500-1375918481_thumb.jpg

Walking back towards the parked car, we passed John Lewis, and I went in. Found the same KG black leather courts I'd tried in Selfridges, and this time failed to resist temptation. Made a purchase. Don't know why I was so keen on the Jane Norman £25 shoes, when the (significantly) better quality KG were available for £30? :rolleyes:;):D

So, back to car and left London. Really good day out. B)

Edited by FastFreddy2
  • Like 1

PM sent. :huh:

Ahhh!

The change of log-in name threw me. I remember you had some difficulty with the old one ...... ;) Welcome back. B)

I may have another member hoping to join us if he isn't busy. I was hoping you could make it as you are more confident in trying shoes/boots on in the shop etc.

I am, but I'm loathe to wear a heel anywhere in Herts, unless under the cover of darkness. Shopping malls, high streets, theatres etc, no problem. I've started another thread about this venture, as it's slightly off-topic, and is interesting enough to justify the new thread.

Watford has a larger Primarni and larger New Look. Luton might be considered better still. Have a think. :)

Tried to visit the West End (London) last Saturday. Was madness! Couldn't get parked anywhere near the shops, and roads to/from busy busy busy. Christmas must be on the way?  ;)

Am going up to Oxford Street tonight to have a look around.

We have lost our British Summer Time clock adjustment, so it's all but dark at 5pm, and definitely dark by 6. As I'll be getting parked around 6.30pm, it'll be dark/dark so I'll be out in a higher heel. One protected so if it goes down a crack in the pavement, damage should be minimal.

Westfield White City is on my avoid list at the moment. While they fancy £2-50 an hour parking is okay, I don't. Better than the West End sure, but it isn't the West End. They had made a discounted parking deal of £5 week days and £8 weekends for all day, and I have taken advantage of the £5 deal a couple of times. As it's close to Christmas, the same deal is now £6 and £9 respectively. I doubt they'll be seeing much of me there.  :rolleyes:

Lakeside, or better still Bluewater, still free parking anytime and for as long as you like. Sales usually start Christmas week. B)  

Edited by FastFreddy2

While I've been visiting the West End frequently, they have been for the most part, last-minute decisions.

Christmas shopping (Christmas shoppers) were out to try and break spending records it seemed, despite on-line shopping (as a percentage of spend) was confirmed as having created a new record. Parking in London was horrendous, but then it's supposed to be. Local government would much prefer us to use public transport. If it wasn't so expensive, wasn't so unreliable, wasn't so crowded, perhaps more of us would...  :rolleyes:

The January Sales, started during the 3rd week of December in some stores. Experienced shoppers who can 'hold their nerve', know the bigger reductions come after Christmas. In the New Year, seduced by lower prices and higher heels, I spent more than I should (or needed to - given the size of my collection already). I will try to place reports of purchases and shopping experiences in the appropriate places.  B)

The weather here continues to be a problem, not just with going out, but to a degree with travelling too. The wet weather has been around for so long, the ground is fully saturated. It doesn't take much additional rain to create pools of water in roads, with some drains slightly clogged with debris washed into them. I've actually seen pedestrian pathways covered in a mud slurry, where the volume of moving water (on the path) has quite literally, washed mud from the grass verge next to it. This slurry eventually gets to the drains, and slow water movement allows rainwater to fill the road. Closed roads to due flooding are a new experience for me..... And not a pleasant one.

Mrs Freddy and I HAD to venture out towards the end of January, to use restaurant discount vouchers that were about to expire. Typically it rained on the day. Because it was raining, everyone else had to use a car too, parking close to our chosen venue was impossible. We had to walk 200/300 yards there, and then back again. Raining all the way, so bottom 5 inches of my jeans were wet through, and had to be washed as soon as I got home. While in the restaurant I had the bottom of my trouser legs rolled up to protect my leather shoes. I must have been spotted, but wasn't minded to care - I don't like wet clothes.

I'm expecting to visit the West End this coming Sunday - if it doesn't rain. Lakeside Mall is an alternative, but wet days in large Malls are usually uncomfortably busy. (Queues for coffee shops, full restaurants, spills in toilets.) Bluewater probably off the menu due to high winds keeping the suspension bridge closed across the Thames. Might be another day locked inside, in the warm. :rolleyes:  

We did go out last Sunday as planned.

It was so eventful, I will write it up elsewhere.  :)

Or I could write it up here .....  :D

As I have reported frequently, the weather here in the UK has been appalling. February 2014 was the wettest on record with 4 or 5 days of the month left. Not only has the past two months been wet, it's been unusually windy too. Reference the DIY thread and fence panels lost.

Sunday the 16th Feb was a dry day as it turned out. Not overly warm, though the Sun was out for a while, but the light wind did have a bit of an edge. I have written about ALDO Camden (Outlet) before, as being somewhere I like to frequent, but parking in Camden had gotten both difficult, and expensive. I hadn't been there for some time....

With a reason to go to ALDO, desperation had spurred me on. I dragged Mrs Freddy out with me, as I was due to take her out to dinner. Eating out in London meant I could (rather selfishly) wear heels if I chose, and I did 'chose'.  ;)  So off we went to Camden, quite late in the day. About 5 miles from home, and too far down the motorway to turn back, I realised I'd left my go-everywhere camera at home. Probably only the second time I had done this since buying it. That camera goes everywhere I do normally. Rushing to get out, it was left behind. As I was going to Camden, it didn't seem as important as it might usually be, so we carried on.

On arrival in Camden, I drove along my old parking spots noting they were all 'controlled' on a Sunday, meaning £2 an hour to park. If needs be I would pay for a short stay, I needn't stay long visiting the one shop. As it was, I found part of a road that wasn't controlled on Sunday, so parking was free.  B)  After several years of avoiding the place, I finally found free Sunday parking again!! More interestingly, there was a very very very long queue of people from about where we parked our car, right to the end of the road. A distance of perhaps some 300 yards, and generally 2 or 3 people wide. They were there with chairs, food and drink. No obvious reason, so I asked someone walking up to the end of the queue. Turns out the fella I spoke to had been there since 9.15am and was checking the length of the queue behind him.

These people, perhaps 600+ of them, were waiting for one of the Prince "gorilla" gigs taking place in the UK. These were only announced immediately prior to the gigs (we were told) so advance tickets weren't available. I had seen Prince at Wembley in the 80's, and I'm sure he would still provide an exceptionally entertaining show. Not for us though. We made off for ALDO.

I'd already arranged for a pair of VERY high heeled boots to be put aside for me. We went into the busy store, and I asked for the contact I'd spoken to earlier in the day. He was on a break, but reappeared after 10 minutes or so. He got my boots and I bought them. I'd already tried the size, so there was no need to try them again. The chap who helped me was very good. He knew they were for me, and treated me like every other customer.

We got back to the car, and the queue hadn't moved, though it wasn't much longer either. We might have left around 4.15pm.

It's been some time since I'd been to Covent Garden - while the shops were open. We'd visited recently quite late at night, only to find the large KG store there closed as it had taken so long to find the place. [see Shopping thread.] Camden and Covent Garden aren't far from each other - if you are a crow. Maybe 15-20 minutes by car? The problem would be parking really.

Sure enough, when we arrived all the on-street parking places I knew were full. I decided to park closer to the river, where fewer people think to park. We found a space, quite close to the Savoy (I now know). As we walked along the road we parked in, and up alongside the Savoy, there seemed to be an unusually large amount of black limousines being polished up by their drivers. We thought that maybe some big meeting was taking place in the Savoy, maybe some sort of political thing? G8 meeting or something? (Who knows?)

So we walked up to Covent Garden. There was plenty going on. Street performers on most open areas, some with large crowds around them. If it had been warmer we might have stopped, but we were there to visit the KG flagship store, which we did. [Full write-up in the KG Shopping thread.]

When we left we used the toilets in the Apple store. If we'd had more time, we'd have stayed for coffee, but it was getting late. Mrs Freddy was getting hungry and I had promised her food!  As we walked up from the piazza towards the underground station and main road around Covent Garden, I spied two ladies in evening dress walking toward the Royal Opera House. Initially I thought it was odd, because I didn't think they did performances on Sunday, until I noticed an outside broadcast rig parked close to the back of the venue. Must be something on we thought? Televised performance maybe? Anyway, the shoes one of the ladies wore, warranted a picture. And where was my camera?  :rolleyes:

We walked further, trying to find the cocktail bar Mrs Freddy used to frequent with a friend in her youth. If they served food, I was going to provide an opportunity for some nostalgia.  ;) Having walked up the rise and passed the Underground, we seemed to be following more people dressed for the Opera performance. Black tie and evening dress seemed to be more usual than unusual amongst the walkers. What a day to leave my camera at home!

Then, as we turned another corner, all became obvious. We were at the 2014 BAFTA's. I had no idea they were on, much less where. It instantly explained all the limo's seen earlier. :rolleyes:  We managed to squirrel ourselves so we could see the limo's arriving, but Mrs Freddy had flats on. I could see plenty, but she could see nothing. Although the people walking right past us didn't have celebrity status, many of the women looked stunning and some of the dresses were better than those reported by the press the following day. I was absolutely gutted I didn't have a camera. Of all the days to leave it at home????

I would have stayed for hours, but Mrs Freddy was getting cold, as well as hungry. We had to move on. We walked down to The Strand, and after another walk, we found a restaurant we could eat in, although the cold and hungry Mrs Freddy had mentioned several times she was ready to "just go home". Fortunately the place was warm, and service fast. Soon she was warm, and had food in front of her.

Think we left Covent Garden around 8.30pm. I would have stayed, but herself was keen to return home before she got too tired. The journey home from there is about an hour. The car was a short walk away, so we were on our way quite quickly.

While travelling back I talked about the coincidences of the day. We never go to Camden, but could of seen Prince if we cared to queue..... We never go to Covent Garden, but got to 'accidentally' go went to the BAFTA's, though they wouldn't let us in without a ticket. ;)  :D  Typical day out in London?  :)   :D

While I enjoy living close to the countryside, I very much enjoy living not to far from the glamour of a big city too.  B)

Edited by FastFreddy2

London's West End tomorrow pm and evening. All are welcome:P   :D

Have some returns, plus HoF have a two day extravaganza (Thurs+Fri) plus Debenhams are doing a discount on some lines until end of Sunday.

I have enough footwear for 2 lifetimes, but you have to keep the economy ticking over. ;)   :D  

Looks like you should have worn the shoes in your avatar. :)

I just can't walk in them! :(  And the last pair -the red ones- might be going soon too. Had to sell the Blue and the Black ones, as they never went on my feet. My 'practice' ones, the grey pair, did get some use but .... 'Posing' in them, I discovered there was a manufacturing fault similar to the fault I'd found in the first red pair. I sold them on, and the buyer was very happy with them. ;)

The red pair are a little looser on my feet so I can get them on at least, but I just can't walk anything like 'naturally' with them.

While I was walking around the O2, and then getting back to the car park, I did wear some courts with 135mm heel and 13mm hidden platform. They stayed on my feet because they have ankle straps. Lovely shoe despite being PU, but I walked really badly in them. These have more of a future, but I need practice in them.

post-40-0-98416000-1412470304_thumb.jpg

Nice. Hope you get the practice in them to be able to walk naturally. If you like the style you might want a learther pair the same.

Edited by hh4evr1

I'm not yet sure why they are harder to walk in. To a degree, it might be that I usually wear boot styles, so I'm not used to 'holding' the shoe with my toes. It may be, they're a bit on the large size? Might even be the small platform, because I haven't worn shoes with a platform before, and possibly they need a different walking style?

Here are some links to recordings done of the show at a different venue.

In My Arms

Need You Tonight (Michael Hutchence tribute)

Sexercise

Sound quality is good, so worth playing on good speakers or headphones.

P.S.

From today's Mail On-Line .....  post-40-0-97662900-1412806386_thumb.jpg   :wub:

More pictures >> here <<

Edited by FastFreddy2

What did you do on New Years eve?

For the last 4 or 5 years, I've done just about nothing. Age .... tears away your energy, and dull's your enthusiasm. So ......

Despite Boris the likable buffoon telling us all to stay out of London, I didn't. It's been a long long LONG time since I visited during NYE, perhaps more than 20 years. I thought I would give it a try, again. The night before, I found the firework display was ticket only, and tickets had (quietly) sold out some time ago. Barriers would stop people getting to watch for free. I went anyway. If I'm honest, the display area is my usual evening high heel walkway, I figured I'd find a place .... (wrong).

I had to park just off Regents Street, as all roads further South at that point were closed to vehicles. I didn't know it at the time, but I was a mile and a half away from the river. I'd chosen to wear the shoes in my avatar, with a full 5 inch heel.

The West End, specifically Piccadilly and Leicester Square are always busy, but the area was even busier than usual. The real difference was the amount of police present. We didn't exactly have one each, but it was close. During the evening, I must have walked past at least 1000 police officers. Never less than 10 in a street, sometime 30 or 40 of them in places. Sorry no photo's. I didn't think it prudent given what they were there for, and I was out for some entertainment not a confrontation.

It was a slow walk. I stopped many times to gawp at the scenery. Many girls were out in their highest heels. 

Walking along the Strand, there are many alleyways that lead to the river embankment. Everyone of them had barriers, and security personnel on them. Arriving at Waterloo Bridge, 8ft metal gates prevented movement onto it. I waited for the better part of thirty minutes for the fireworks, hoping to get a glimpse of them through the gap over the bridge.

When the display started, the sky lit up from time to time, and the sound can only be compared to thunderclaps, possibly keeping better time than they do when mother nature is in control. I saw one or two trails, but no fireworks.

About 10 minutes in, and with 5-8 minutes left of the show, the large metal gates in front of me opened, and several hundred people surged toward the bridge. No obvious attempt was made to stop anyone. To be honest, it wouldn't have been worth the trouble. What did I do?

I just watched everyone around me, barring 4 others, walk or run toward the bridge. Unless I was wearing sports shoes (trainers) there was never any prospect of me reaching the bridge to see the show, and the chances were high I'd just meet several thousands people leaving instead, who would be walking directly toward me to get off the bridge.

The purpose of the evening was to start the year as I would want to continue. Out wearing a very high heel (for me) on NYE and not sat vegging in front of a TV. In that respect, mission accomplished. Then there was the walk back to the car.....

Not sure if many here will know, but standing still in a high heel is harder than walking in them. While walking, the balls of your feet get some rest. While standing - no rest. I'd pretty much stood around for better than thirty minutes, my feet weren't happy.  

It was an hours walk to the bridge, and even longer getting back. The last half a mile walking up Regents Street was a struggle. I don't tend to get pain as such, it's more (usually) my left ankle doesn't want to rotate in-line any longer. The balls of my feet weren't hurting as such, but they felt sensitive to every step, and my left ankle wouldn't stay as upright as normal but wanted to twist sideways. Eventually I was resting every 100 yards or so, to make sure I didn't do anything daft like twist the ankle pushing it too far. These shoes have been worn by me perhaps three times, and I've always insisted they weren't shopping (hiking) shoes. In fact the first time I wore them, I had to have a VERY short walk as my ankles weren't at all happy. Things improved quickly afterward, but a 3 mile 2½ hour walk was never on the cards - ever.

Back at the car, I was relieved to sit down. I had just been 'spotted' by a very attractive young woman as I approached the Oxford Circus crossing, with my hat an scarf hiding any potential for a blush. (She really was pretty!) There was more than physical comfort sitting inside the car. I'd passed a lot of broken glass on the pavements and in the road, and people somewhat the worse for wear were becoming more and more obvious.

The drive home was quick, care of almost empty roads. If only it could always be as easy!  B)

The evening was largely a success. Got there, got back, went to where I wanted to be. It didn't rain, wasn't blowing a gale, though it was a bit cold. Didn't get to fall asleep (bored) in front of a TV am too old for wild parties, no regret about "wishing" I'd done it either. Got sore feet wearing a 5" heel. Yay!  ;)   :D

We walked further, trying to find the cocktail bar Mrs Freddy used to frequent with a friend in her youth. If they served food, I was going to provide an opportunity for some nostalgia.  ;) Having walked up the rise and passed the Underground, we seemed to be following more people dressed for the Opera performance. Black tie and evening dress seemed to be more usual than unusual amongst the walkers. What a day to leave my camera at home!

Then, as we turned another corner, all became obvious. We were at the 2014 BAFTA's. I had no idea they were on, much less where. It instantly explained all the limo's seen earlier. :rolleyes:  We managed to squirrel ourselves so we could see the limo's arriving, but Mrs Freddy had flats on. I could see plenty, but she could see nothing. Although the people walking right past us didn't have celebrity status, many of the women looked stunning and some of the dresses were better than those reported by the press the following day. I was absolutely gutted I didn't have a camera. Of all the days to leave it at home????

2015 BAFTA's are today, Sunday the 8th February.

A year ago (give or take a week) I promised myself I would be back next year (2015) with camera.

Having just finished a 3 hour rubbing down/painting/repair holes in ceiling session at 2am, I'm unsure if I'm fit enough to go. That said, I don't need to be 'fit', only able to click the shutter on a camera.

Last year I tried to console myself with the hope that many of the stunning outfits I saw, would be produced in newspapers or on line. No such luck. I think around 5 to 8 actresses had about 30 pictures each produced of them, and that was about it. From the fashion point of view, there were MANY better looking outfits worn, that did not get any media space I found.... Doubly disappointing ....

As long as there is no rain or snow, I may have to go....  :huh:

Well I went - what good it did me ....

post-40-0-38271400-1423661171_thumb.jpg

Unlike last year, I arrived at dusk. Most of the attendees were already happily ensconced inside, though I guess the big names came later as to not be seen as 'desperate' to be photographed.

There was a protest group there, hogging the best vantage place for the great unwashed, banging loudly on drums and making the whole event uncomfortable for everyone. I can confirm that whatever they wanted, they would have fewer supporters AFTER their protest than before. It made videoing anything a waste of time (for me). Several people had iPhones on sticks, recording arrivals and getting a much view than was possible by extending my arm. Lesson to be had here maybe?  :ph34r:

Unusually I took my super-duper Lumix G5 with me. Possibly only the second time it's left the house - ever. Although it has a fast lens, and sensitivity is quite good, the "lighted match" that passes for an on-board flash could not get across the 25 foot gap between me and any arrivals. Car headlights produced noticeably brighter illumination. 

I did catch the very grounded Julie Walters arrive on foot via the Underground. I'm tempted to include an image of her, but it's so grainy it isn't worth trying. I recognised her going in, but wasn't sure I'd actually got her. Comparing published (good quality) photographs and video from the event, confirms I did see her arrive. 

"Next year" .....  ;)   :P   :D

If I should be daft enough to go, I'll have a long lens, a suitable adapter for my Metz 45, and will arrive earlier .... Hopefully it'll be raining and I won't have to bother. :D

The upside - only upside - was that I did something I planned to do, not stayed home locked onto the couch .....  :P   :D

Edited by FastFreddy2

Haven't been out for a while, so will be "up the West End" later today. Going there with my 'walking companion'.

While I might look in one or two stores (Debenhams have a mid-season sale) I won't be spending any money, other than on food and refreshments. We're having some warm dry weather at the moment, but rain is on the way for the weekend (typical). Had something of a work related stressful morning that I'd been dreading for some time. It went well despite my anxiety, so want to give myself a pat-on-the-head as something of a 'well done'. An evening out in heels, seems like just the right thing for it.

Will be wearing the shoes in my avatar. Not worn them months, so going to be something of a challenge. Hey-ho.  ;)   :D