Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

my 'customer' does not need to engage, and wait around for, a whole series of tradesmen who, however skilled, will never all turn up when booked 

Turning up at all is an achievement ....

The very first "sub-contracted" job I wanted doing here, was to change/fix/repair/replace the mains stop-cock. Chap I spoke to was happy to oblige. Local to me, and I outlined the job with a £50 cash price agreed. I was (moderately) happy to pay it, though a bit miffed the heating engineer hadn't done it, when he changed the boiler for the previous owner a year earlier. I sent a photo to his email address to show him what I needed doing. (Mistake.) I never heard from him again. The heating engineer had laid new pipework all around the stop-cock and it frightened off the plumber.

Luckily for me, unluckily for a pal, a heating engineer visited me for an unrelated item. He kindly offered to fix the problem, but the S/C was so locked solid, he snapped the handle. (Hence I know it hadn't been used for well over a year, maybe many years.) 15 minutes later, I had a new lever-ball-valve fitted, and at no cost despite my insistence some money should be taken. Given how many pipes have leaked here (before I changed them all) I can't express the liability, the absence of a working mains stop cock presented, especially given the pressure and flow rate possible at my dwelling. 

It might be reported elsewhere, but I had reason to contact the same heating engineer when I struggled to re-wire a new central heating wireless "receiver". The wiring plan on the junction box, didn't tie up with what I had. His response to me was; "I don't bother with that, I just put the wires where I want." Which explained everything .... And allowed me to 'fix' the wiring as I needed to, in about 2 minutes. Why if it's so easy to do it right, did he or anyone, feel the need to do it wrong? :rolleyes: The was no extra work involved in following the wiring plan, and it keeps the job really simple for everyone who follows him. Which is why he probably puts wires all over the show, to almost force a visit by him. When I asked about a visit (he literally lives 800 yards away) he wanted £60+VAT to come to my house. Fortunately, the "I put the wires anywhere" comment freed up the need for a visit because I then knew I wasn't misunderstanding the colour codes, they'd just been installed in the wrong places.

When the new combi boiler goes in, EVERYTHING that twat installed, will be gone. Pretty much like most of the plumbing here; replaced with good materials, correctly installed. Honestly, pipe runs supported by bent nails? Pipes laid in gaps too small for pipes, so they were left crushed. Pipes not bent correctly, (collapsed) so they crimped the flow. Soldered joints not cleaned, so they corroded. Heated water pipes straight off the replacement boiler fitted a year before we arrived, not insulated. (Burn hazard - plus significant heat loss.) The list could be very very long. In fact I ought to write up the list and pass it to a trade guild .... Bit like leaving your body to 'science', I could pass on my list as a "worst case scenario". 

9 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

So far, 160 holes, only 1 inch deep. 

And typo (second one - as advised) now corrected. B)

Why the change in hole number/depth?   Maybe time to visit your nearest 'holesaler'? :D

On the general subject of shoddy professional work, my elder son has recently had his ground floor flat extended and much work done in the garden.   The main contractor (and its subbies) for the extension left a catalogue of shoddy or incorrect work behind and the idiots who worked in the garden did nothing right.   All this coincided with the birth of his first child and, aside from general disruption, a significant area of the property was initially unusable because of damp problems that had not been rectified or were caused by the builders.   In both cases (fortunately) he has been able to withhold significant payment but he still needs to get things put right - and you can guess who is doing his best to oblige.   How these people can claim to be 'professional' is beyond me; they neither know what to do nor have the skill and mind-set to do it properly and completely. 

4 hours ago, Puffer said:

Why the change in hole number/depth?   Maybe time to visit your nearest 'holesaler'? :D

Number = more cracks drilled than planned.

Depth = more holes meant less strength left (holding drill above my shoulder) to drill full depth holes.

Some of the holes won't need opening up, others will need full depth and an even wider drill. The"pilots" are there initially to find the holes and cracks behind the render. Most are in the right place, but not all of them. I'll add some detail to the DIY thread, as this one has 'wondered off' a good bit from "meetings". (Although there is a recognisable path to getting here.)

Went to Brent Cross a couple of days ago. Wasn't there long, but long enough.

Unusually, I didn't have my regular footwear on, but the M+S pointed ankle boots, the ones my walking companion likes to complain about .... The ones Mrs Freddy has a similar demeanour toward (though is less vocal). As I've mentioned several times, very little of the shoe is seen at all, just 40-50 mm or so of the pointed tip. If you first saw my feet, when you looked up you probably wouldn't expect to see a man on top of them ...

We had cause to go into a shoe shop, which was in fact the whole reason for the visit. It's not one I like to go into when I'm at B/C in a heel, because there is always too many staff when I visit. People with time on their hands have time to notice....

The floor inside the shop is tiled, if heels are worn. they make a noise. It's an open plan store with glass shelving (for the most part), so few places to hide, or hide your footwear. Often there is an assistant standing in the doorway, welcoming people into the store, not today. We walked in, with me fast becoming disappointed at the range of casual shoes, and abundance of 'trainers', Not so my walking companion, since it was the very reason we we there.

A couple of pairs were selected for trying on, and I asked at the till for the use of a shoe horn. One was found, and as I walked away I noticed the sitting woman of a couple waiting for something, may have spotted my shoes. I wouldn't have been surprised if any one else noticed, but it certainly wasn't the case I felt any one else had noticed them.... Except that my walking companion seemed to take some pleasure in telling me otherwise, once we had left the shop. 'Apparently' as reported to me; "everyone" in the shop had noticed my footwear, and the chap who had passed me the shoe horn "couldn't take his eyes off" my shoes ... I'm either not paranoid enough, or my eyesight is worse than I imagined. I'm fairly confidant that not everyone in the store noticed my shoes, though I'm sure some did. I expected the store staff to, and was pleased I wasn't subjected to awkward staring at my shoes when I spoke to a couple of them at the till station. But I'm hoping there were some who were oblivious. It wasn't busy enough for the noise level or chaos level to hide me, but I thought I'd been careful with my shoe noise, and I like to think I'm more observant than most.

Probably, the truth is somewhere in between what I saw, and what was reported to me. Actually, I don't mind people noticing, as long as I don't notice I've been noticed.... I'm not sure why a man in heels, seems to garner more attention than say; two men holding hands, or two women holding hands. A man in high heels more socially taboo - innit?

Tomorrow, Sunday, I shall be in the West End. More specifically, Selfridges. Anyone who wishes to meet up, I'm happy to get the coffees in. B) 

Edited by FastFreddy2
Grammar, as usual, and spelling.

It is odd that men in heels should continue to be such a major taboo when all else seems completely okay. 

I was  in a large London store around 3 weeks ago. Walking around, an assistant walked past, a male with high bleached hair. The cut and "upped" hair was very similar in shape to an ancient Egyptian flat topped crown, not unlike this .....

593caa247eaa5_Flattopcrownsml.jpg.b5792c57bc26f86759b99a4d5427858a.jpg

The hair was not only shaped and bleached, it had been colour stripped to give lighter tones as the hair went upward. It was both an incredible cut, and very clever use of the bleaching technique. I had a very good look as he walked past me.

Perhaps 15 minutes later, we left the last shoe concession before walking out into the street. Moving toward the door I turned to make sure no one was following who I should keep the door open for. As I turned, I noticed once again, the assistant with the up-do. This time at a distance, I had the chance to see head-to-toe outfit, without it being obvious that I was giving him the-once-over. He was wearing a light coloured maxi-skirt. Not only had I failed to notice before, but so seemingly, had everyone else. He was wearing a flat/casual shoe, not unlike espadrilles. 

Tempting though it might be to suggest otherwise, I'm 100% sure I was looking at a young man. If there is a chance to see him again, I will make a point to speak to him (and check out his hands). Not that I'm expecting to have made a mistake. No makeup, no hips, no wobbly bits.

The conclusion reached then, men-in-heels, cause more of a stir than man-in-skirt. :rolleyes:

Edited by FastFreddy2

I am sure there are whole doctoral theses that could be written on the sociology of men in heels and the fast great fashion taboo

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I am sure there are whole doctoral theses that could be written on the sociology of men in heels and the last great fashion taboo

I suspect marrying inside your own family, would produce fewer headlines. (Rumour has it people in Norfolk do it all the time. ;) :D)

But yes, what a way to get a doctorate, writing up about men wearing heels. I've always wanted to look at a woman and use those legendary words: "Relax, I'm a doctor." Although in recent years, they've had a fair amount of bad-press themselves, so I doubt the phrase would have the same effect it would have had 30 or 40 years ago.... :rolleyes: Another boat missed. :D

9 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I suspect marrying inside your own family, would produce fewer headlines. (Rumour has it people in Norfolk do it all the time. ;) :D)

But yes, what a way to get a doctorate, writing up about men wearing heels. I've always wanted to look at a woman and use those legendary words: "Relax, I'm a doctor." Although in recent years, they've had a fair amount of bad-press themselves, so I doubt the phrase would have the same effect it would have had 30 or 40 years ago.... :rolleyes: Another boat missed. :D

It's interesting that very few common-or-garden medical practitioners (GPs, dentists etc) have a 'doctorate' (e.g. MD, DDS), at least in the UK; most having nothing 'higher' than a batchelor's degree in medicine, surgery, dentistry or whatever.   But the convention is to give them the title of 'Doctor' and address them likewise in all situations - the main exception being senior hospital consultants who are known as 'Mr'.   Conversely, the significant number of non-medical professionals who hold a doctorate (PhD, DLitt, LlD, DSc etc) are discouraged from using their well-earned 'Doctor' title outside the realms of academe.   In other countries, notably Germany, it seems as though every second businessman or professional has a doctorate and mentions it (e.g. in correspondence) or is referred to by it at every opportunity.   'The Herr Doktor is playing golf today ...'   Somewhow, I can hear the click of jackboot heels and expect a smart stiff-armed salute ...

I followed 'the plan' today, and visited the West End. No police with guns were seen. They probably didn't want to scare the tourist shoppers. Doubtless they were there, somewhere.

Apart from a couple of Sunday drivers, the event was largely without trauma. One driver, a middle-aged man with children in his car who drove like an 18 year old, got some special attention from me. I don't do road-rage really, but I do give some 'the look'. While Mr 18 year old going on 40 weaved in and out of traffic, and purposely cut me up, he still got left behind. When we both had to stop and him a little bit behind and in the left hand (nearside) lane to me, I looked back, to give him 'the look'. (I had on 5" heels at the time, I didn't think leaving the car would work. You can't expect people to take you seriously as Mr RoadRage, if you are wearing high heels, can you?) So I looked, and he gave me the "WTF" look back. Rather than get involved in a problem I didn't have time for, I just blew him a kiss - and laughed. I can't get into trouble for that, can I? He took the very next turn left and we parted company.

While TFL (under the auspices of Puffer's guidance) tried to make parking difficult by shutting the southern part of the West End (Regent Street), I took no time at all in finding a parking space, practically at Debenhams back door. Yay!

Straight into one of the big stores for coffee and a rather disappointing piece of carrot cake. This kept me going until 7.30pm, so it did it's job even if it wasn't as pleasant as it could be.... Next stop Topshop, and PVC jeans....

Couldn't find the Jamie ones in black, but found some in silver. I still prefer the House.of.C.B. ones, which are only slightly more expensive. No big people need apply though. I found a House pair in a Large, and measured the waist at only 30". I did not buy ... Jury is still out on a £60 purchase. :rolleyes:

While there, I did try the same brand's £119.99 patent court in a 41/8. As worn by Manchester WAGS....

593dd5a087051_HouseOfCB-Pariscourt.thumb.jpg.ca7be23e73c370a28c0b384898697dd0.jpg

When I am out in a heel, I almost always wear two pairs of ankle hose. As walkers will know, doubling up, is very effective in the prevention of blisters. I should 'fess up, I was not wearing leggings today, as it was too warm, but long hose that holds itself up. Over my feet, I also wore a pair of the ankle hose I always wear too. When I tried on these shoes, I removed the ankle hose (sock) and walked around a small bit with just the thin long hose on my feet. To my surprise the shoes were a good fit to a little loose. When I had tried them before with double ankle hose, I could barely get the shoes on, much less walk around in reasonable comfort. At £120 a pop, I'm never going to buy a pair, but at least I know should a "worn once" pair appear on an auction site, they will fit. B) The heel is a measured 5 inches, in my size.

In the same store, I tried a pair of these:

593dd91ebd144_OfficeHampton.jpg.479461b29faf3b0e073f81df2fded272.jpg

As my walking companion had found some shoes to try on (which she subsequently bought) I got to try these in my size, and kept them on for a few minutes, as well as had a walk wearing one shoe. I know these come up a size small, so the ankle sock got taken off. The slippery long hose helped get my foot into them, but the toe-box was cramped. The length was okay, but my toes were a bit squished. Odd given I don't have a crooked big toe, or wide feet. As is usually the case, a couple of minutes into wearing the shoe, my toes shape-shift and the shoe fits.... I had a little walk around a couple of the display aisles, with my usual 5" high ankle boot on the left foot, and the stiletto on my right foot. While the rise of the shoe is a challenge, it seemed to be easier to walk in that the boot. I guess because my ankle isn't being held so rigidly in the shoe, like it is in the boot? Anyway, I had a little walk around, and I didn't notice anyone noticing me. Had a bit of trouble getting my ankle hose on discreetly, but I got it back on. Two girls from different groups, saw me return the shoes to the display stand, and my gait as I walked. They individually, correctly put two and two together. I tried to keep shop furniture between them and me, with mixed success. I'm not a big fan of suede on court shoes, so unless I get a pair in a sale, I won't be buying a pair of these either.

On the way back along Oxford Street finally toward Selfridges, we stopped in a store to have a look for the fella with the up-do mentioned previously. Sadly, not seen today. I did try these though:

593dddb0224ae_StveMadden-patentcourt.thumb.jpg.605be297aad9e16e7d7d5ad684af88b2.jpg

Another pair (as all three) with a measured 5 inch heel.

Madden shoes often come up a bit on the generous side. These do, though not a whole size, so I tried them with both layers of hose. They were a tad small in the toe box, but that might have been the padding in the foot-bed.  Walking around in them, did not feel like I had a 5" heel on. This American brand owes nothing to narrow European sizing. If I worked in a shoe store, I'd be tempted to try wearing these for a working day. If anything, they were a tad loose after my feet shape-shifted. ;)

Eventually, we arrived at Selfridges, sadly at only 15 minutes before closing time. It was enough time though. Nothing in the "affordable" range had gone on sale, though 'Sale, 50% off" signs were scattered around. (Secret sale, obviously.) Thinking I should use the Boys Room before we left, I ventured into Menswear to use the loo. What a shock! When I went into the cubicle (the only one), the smell of warm urine nearly knocked me over. It looked like no-one had flushed for quite a while (so I flushed - which immediately helped), and it was obvious previous users had not bothered to put the seat up. Nor had several people bothered to aim well either. After flushing, I washed the seat, and the floor. I didn't scrimp on using Selfridges paper towels to clean up their toilet. I never sit on the seat, but I don't want to hover over someone else's excreta, nor do I want to stand in it.... I suppose this is to be expected, with so many foreign nationals using the facilities. Many countries still use a hole in the floor, and even more will be unfamiliar with infra red flush systems.

Leaving the building by the side door ....

593ebe8991fc4_Selfridgessculture.jpg.f35e4e9287a1c961af9002f760f909d1.jpg

Visit done, we travelled home. 

Edited by FastFreddy2

Some additional notes on the West End visit .....

I did get a 'twisted ankle' a couple of times. This is when my foot is persuaded to bend awkwardly, and gives the appearance of me about to topple over from a stumble. Since I have fairly good control of my body, an outside influence creates this situation. Almost every time it will be a deformation in the path or roadway. Yesterday I noticed that although not apparent to the naked eye, many of the side roads into Oxford Street have indentations in them from years of use by heavy goods vehicles. In a field, these would be called furrows. Without puddles to announce the indentations, it's possible to be caught unawares, and I did either 2 or 3 times. My walking companion assumes I will take a tumble, though to date, I haven't. (A statement that almost guarantees I will next time. :rolleyes:) See P.S.

Of course 3 hours of mixed pace walking on often uneven ground in a 5 inch heel must take its toll on ankles. I don't go out anything like as often as I did some 8/9 years ago, Consequently, I almost certainly don't have the core muscle strength that would benefit me during these adventures. In stores or malls where the floor is flat and even, I have no problems at all. Walking is a straightforward exercise. Along Wigmore Street where the pavement has been given some sort of fine bitumen coating, leaving it with a smooth surface, again no problems. But Oxford Street with it's mixed surface texture, occasional rocking slabs, and general unevenness - quite a challenge. Perhaps it's why I don't often see more intelligent people wearing a heel there? Or perhaps I'm shopping in the wrong place? Maybe I should try Kensington?

Lastly, a reference to getting spotted. I mentioned being seen in Topshop by a couple of shoppers. I'd be amazed if sales staff hadn't noticed me surreptitiously trying on court stiletto's. But elsewhere I got spotted too, but with no trauma or unpleasantness. One particularly interesting encounter (if it can be called that) was with a petite/slim but attractive middle-aged lady who looked like an American tourist. (Her clothing style and eye make up being indicators.) She looked at my feet, then looked at me, a bit longer than she needed to .... ;) Fortunately I wasn't at one of the junctions where I got a twisted ankle, that would have been proper embarrassing.  :huh:   

All in all a good afternoon. I bought 3 pairs of soft shoes for decorating from Primarni, at £3 a pair. These have white soles, so accidentally kicking doors or skirting boards won't leave a scuff mark. I also carry a black pair in the car for unscheduled stops to homes where outdoor shoes in the house are not welcome, and I don't do unshod feet anywhere anytime.

My walking companion who has bunion problems, also got some 'bling' walking shoes at a discounted price. She has recently gotten a thing about sparkly footwear, perhaps thinking she has recently acquired a Shirley Bassey or Joan Collins heritage. I am suspicious a lot of these 'bling' designs are Tracey Emin influenced .... Meaning the designs often seem to have a lot in common with an unmade bed .... Tacky, irregular, with no thought to aesthetic other than refusing to recognise the concept in any form. Often a patchwork of uncomplimentary colours and textures, I could describe them succinctly as "bug ugly".

593e75725f10e_Uglytrainers.thumb.jpg.1f90cc92abec59b39117fe085c12f226.jpg

And worse ...

593e759db9694_Uglyshoe2.thumb.jpg.91bf820dbe033f504a1e3047dda56ed4.jpg

I had seen some in patchwork green mesh and gold patent, but couldn't locate them during a quick browse of the brands I know I saw. I'm sure those reading will get the gist of my remarks though. 

P.S.

I try to keep all my shoes clean, so when getting ready to go out, I don't have to concern myself with; "Do my shoes need cleaning?" Shortly after wearing, they are cleaned and returned to their storage box. On cleaning the shoes I wore yesterday, mid afternoon today, I found this:

593ec00e65749_Shoedamage.jpg.b9df194d9235f797744a2772ad0bab57.jpg

I got to the local repairer (fella who may well suspect these are mine), and got them in for repair. He describes modern shoes as having soles like "liquorice", there for a short time before the shoes are discarded. I think he was surprised the shoes were as old as they are, as they look new. (But worn a fair bit in shopping malls.) He says he will try to get the soles stuck back on, and we will "have to see" if they stay stuck. If they don't, a complete new sole will be the answer. I'll be happy to have a new sole that stays stuck, over throwing the shoes. These are a joy to wear. Not very attractive, but have a nice almond/rounded toe, and an almost 5 inch heel. With me standing still, hard to see they are a woman's shoe. B) 

And not overly expensive, if bought in a sale. And at the time, available in a UK9. ;)

Edited by FastFreddy2

I have had occasion to re-stick a variety of both soles and heels in a variety of materials that have partially come away.   I have had good success with an ordinary impact adhesive but now use a similar product sold for 'trade' shoe repairs - 'Adesvig E', from Italy.   The latter appears to be a pretty standard impact adhesive (toluene based) in a fairly runny form - easy to apply into a 'sole gap' (e.g. with old credit card to 'wipe' the surfaces).   After 20 mins or so for the stuff to go off, clamp together (in vice if necessary) and leave for a few hours.   Success - so far!   (The adhesive seems eminently suitable for other DIY purposes too, and is certainly cheaper than many sold for that usage.)

If your local repairer cannot make a simple repair with the right 'glue', I should be both surprised and disappointed.   Worth trying for yourself if he can't.

• Like 1

I know this fella doesn't like modern shoes. His father was a cobbler, and I wouldn't be surprised to find the shop was his fathers too. It certainly has the run down appearance of being his fathers shop. The current proprietor may not have just learned his fathers skills, but picked up a cynical view too. This isn't the first time I've been told the shoes I've brought in are poor quality. (Actually the third,) He didn't charge for the last repair, and this one will cost a fiver, and to be collected Thursday. By saying the repair may not last 'do you want me to try anyway?' He has guaranteed himself against failure.

Given the grief of the repair, cost of glue, and the speed/price of sub-contracting the job, I'm happy for him to give it a go. He is right about the liquorice part though. There's no way that sole should have separated given where I use them, though Oxford Street ..... :rolleyes: 

I don't know how the original glue was applied, but the word sparingly springs to mind. Looks like the glue was applied with a roller leaving microdots of adhesive. These are my fav wearing out shoe, that I might have paid less than £40 for, and worth every penny to me. Even if they needed new soles, I could live with that. :)

On 5/31/2017 at 2:33 AM, Shyheels said:

To be honest I doubt the guy at security gave your wedges even a moment's thought. They see hundreds of people daily for a few seconds at a time and I suspect they all become a bit of a blur. If you had been wearing pink patent thigh boots with six inch stiletto heels he might have recalled you later, but anything short of that would have been quickly forgotten, assuming he noticed at all in the first place.

Ah, I'll remember that for next time... This is the first time I've been able to log in for over a week. Last night away now, and heels on the plane again tomorrow. I'm a bit dissatisfied with them, though - M&S Footgloves, and the tear-shape pad at the top of the footbed (under my heel) has come adrift. I had to get some superglue and stick it back on!. I hope it's OK for the journey home. Also, I was really annoyed in that when I was on the escalator the stair rose behind my foot and gouged a great bit out of the back of one of the heels. I've patched it as well as I can for now but I'm wondering whether that stair would have gouged a bit out of my foot if I'd been wearing flat sandals!

1 hour ago, Russ in boots said:

Also, I was really annoyed in that when I was on the escalator the stair rose behind my foot and gouged a great bit out of the back of one of the heels. I've patched it as well as I can for now but I'm wondering whether that stair would have gouged a bit out of my foot if I'd been wearing flat sandals!

Been there ... Somewhere up this thread (maybe 2 years ago) we had similar experiences using a newly installed escalator in a London store. When it happened to my shoes, "we" put it down to carelessness on my part. Two weeks later, same thing with Mrs Freddy's brand new shoes. I wasn't happy. As I was unsure of how this was possible (been using them for years without a problem) I started looking at how they work and how the problem was possible.

Firstly, the upward moving stair edge of the new escalator, did not have rounded tips on the 'fins' of the stair. This is the (seemingly) upward moving stair behind, as you go downward. Just about every other stairway I touched, the fins were nicely rounded to prevent any gouging. Conversely the tips on the new escalator were pointed enough to act like the cutting tip of a machine tool, like a lathe.

The next problem (in the chain required to create the shoe gouge) is that the rising stair behind, initially goes upward (relative to your foot) but then moves slightly forward into 'your' airspace. If you are wearing a flat shoe, this isn't a problem. The rising stair moves ever-so-slightly into the "nape" of your heel, which is an empty space.  Wear a high heel and stand at the back of the stair tread, the heel is in the way of the rising stair. With rounded/smooth tips on the stairs 'fins', at worst you might get pushed a little forward. When those fins are sharp, you get gouges.

Although I had let the first gouge to my shoe go, a second event meant there was a problem, and I had found the cause. I asked for compensation for the damage to the shoes, and although I was at first refused, a bit of persistence got me money for both pairs of shoes. I didn't try to fleece them asking for full retail or compo for upsetting us, I just got the prices we paid for the shoes. Paying me, cost considerably less than legal representation at a small claims court, and news of their escalator ruining shoes didn't travel any further. We effectively got full refunds for our shoes, which while damaged, were still wearable.

You probably won't have had the chance to do the checks I did, and you're on your way home soon.... :( Maybe you'll have to consign the sandals to the great shoe-shop in the sky, and wait for a second pair to come up on the auction site? Though you won't be alone in owning shoes that got used for one holiday before they were retired. Safe journey home. B)

5 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

Ah, I'll remember that for next time... This is the first time I've been able to log in for over a week. Last night away now, and heels on the plane again tomorrow. I'm a bit dissatisfied with them, though - M&S Footgloves, and the tear-shape pad at the top of the footbed (under my heel) has come adrift. I had to get some superglue and stick it back on!. I hope it's OK for the journey home. Also, I was really annoyed in that when I was on the escalator the stair rose behind my foot and gouged a great bit out of the back of one of the heels. I've patched it as well as I can for now but I'm wondering whether that stair would have gouged a bit out of my foot if I'd been wearing flat sandals!

I fly a lot and the go through security a lot. I don't wear my otk boots when I fly, although not because I worry about being noticed - I truly doubt that even wearing otk boots I would merit more than two seconds' thought. In my case I am usually going somewhere fairly 'rustic' - jungles, mountains, archaeological sites etc where you just wouldn't wear nice suede boots, and packing otk boots in my large size (for apres wear) isn't practical because the take up too much space in my suitcase and I like to travel light. But honestly, I doubt security would notice, or care, if I wore them. 

I would have to the them off to go through the metal detector - people wearing boots just do. But as long as one took them off and put them in the plastic container for the X-ray machine, nobody would notice or care. 

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I would have to the them off to go through the metal detector - people wearing boots just do. But as long as one took them off and put them in the plastic container for the X-ray machine, nobody would notice or care. 

My one experience suggests you are on the money. At the time, I was scarlet with embarrassment, having to take off a high heeled knee high boot (cowboy boot style) in front of security, and some 200 other waiting travellers. I didn't spot anyone who gave them or me a second look. Took me about 10 minutes to get my normal pasty skin colour back though. :huh: :D  

• Like 1

The only time you get negative attention at security is if you are one of those people who manage to carry all kinds of metal things on them which they then forget about and have to keep going through again and again, to the total annoyance of everyone behind them. You know, oops - mobile phone. Then, oops, belt. Then oops, watch. Then oops, spare coins in back pocket, followed by oops, fountain pen etc. That will get you noticed, most unfavourably. 

Got my repaired shoe-boot back today, and first impressions suggest 'all is good'. I won't know for sure, until I use them of course.

My original plan for the test run was going to be Westfield Friday. However, what is turning out to be a tragedy of some magnitude, is close by.  Prudence, respect and humility, all suggest the area is to be avoided, so a trip to Kensington High Street is on the table. I haven't been there for a long time, perhaps 20 years. It used to be a favoured haunt when Kensington Market existed, some 40 years ago. I recall the place being full of young designers and start up businesses from the fashion and art world. Of course that closed when an opportunity for the owner to make some real money came along. It was always on the cards, but that place had an international reputation so it was a shame to see it close.

I remember getting a pair of Converse All-Star baseball boots from a shop in the high street. London was much different then. I would drive there and park my car in the street only a short distance from the shops, without having to pay for the privilege. And no, my mode of transport wasn't a Hansom Cab, nor horse and cart either....

40 years .... That's quite a long time.... 

When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s Converse All Star sneakers - the classic hi-top - were just your basic cheap canvas sneaker that kids generally wore as a matter of course; not a fashion item at all. Converse, Keds and P.F. Flyers were the main brands. All retro-trendy now...

I did buy a few pair of interesting candy-coloured Converse sneakers earlier this year when they had a deeply discounted sale on their website; bought 'em for a song. Still nice shoes.   

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s Converse All Star sneakers - the classic hi-top - were just your basic cheap canvas sneaker that kids generally wore as a matter of course; not a fashion item at all.

These were so unique, I had to drive 30 miles to one of the wealthiest, trendiest places in the UK to get them. "Common", they wasn't. ;) I don't remember them being overly expensive, but I would have been one of a handful of people - a small handful - in my county wearing them. In fact, I never saw another person wearing a pair, ever. I can't remember what put me onto them, but it would have been a fashion magazine of some sort. I used to read Cosmopolitan, Vogue, Elle, I.D. and the weekly listings mag Time (London), so likely one of those.

40 years ago there was no global market. Amazon and Ebay weren't even a twinkle in the eye of the creators. Levi jeans too, were pretty special at a time when jeans were typically worn by workmen, not trendy teenagers. Back then, foreign imported goods were unusual. Today, everything is imported.

This was a time when not everyone had a telephone in their home, and sometimes you had to wait outside a phone box in the street. Two car families was unheard of unless you had a title and an estate. :D

So colourful, imported American footwear, very on pointB)

Funny the different perspectives one has.  In the America of the 60s and early 70s, where I spent my childhood, Converse sneakers were standard fare, practically two a penny. So were those kinds of goofy kids bicycles - Schwinn spiders, with their motorcycle/chopper styling, high handlebars, banana saddles and sissybars. A genuine ten-speed 'racer', on the other hand, with drop bars and 27" wheels, was quite exotic. We called them "English racers" and envied people who owned them

Edited by Shyheels

7 hours ago, Shyheels said:

A genuine ten-speed 'racer', on the other hand, with drop bars and 27" wheels, was quite exotic. We called them "English racers" and envied people who owned them

I had one.

Both me and a younger brother got one each at Christmas, might have been around 1970 -ish. After a couple of years use, mine still looked pristine. My brothers, looked like it was 10 years old, and had needed a couple of repairs. I wasn't the tallest in my group, but on that, I was the fastest. Same on skates, my legs were quick and strong, even if they looked like matchsticks. "I could have been a contender". Thinking back, I had all the attributes for long distance racing. Slim, fit, lots of stamina. Need very little liquid ... Sadly, 50 years too late to recognise my potential. Back then, for the most part, the best that could be expected of me by my family was I got employment. Sounds a bit lame now, but as you suggest, we (now) live in a different world. We weren't taught to expand our horizons, and the government school programme was to provide material for our manufacturing base (as was). My family came from the slums of London, and my father knew what it was to be really poor (I now know) and when I say poor, I mean dirt poor. He had achieved something by having a home with furniture, some food, and no-one chasing him for unpaid bills. Wen I look back on how we lived and what we ate, I am shocked. "Meagre" comes close. There was never - ever, any danger of anyone in my family becoming overweight.

It didn't help that neither of my parents had the first clue about food, how to cook it, and ways to put a meal together. My mother is still to this day, the only person I know who has managed to burn a casseroled joint of meat. And when I say 'burn', I mean charcoaled. How anyone manages that with liquid in the dish, I can't imagine, but she did. The top half (out of the liquid) looked like a piece of coal. The lower half, preserved by liquid, had shrunk so much and become so tough, it might have been used for a cricket ball. It got eaten though. No-one enjoyed eating it, but food didn't go in the bin. 

Perhaps i should commit these memories to paper (or electronic media) but it'll take a 100 years for my history to become pertinent to a social anthropologist, and then it's only a 'maybe'. I have tried to engage my grandson in this, and even though he is a sensitive and intelligent little man, his attention is drawn to mindless hours of Mindcraft videos. I have told him this stuff is known in the industry as 'time-killers', but he doesn't care. Console games = opium of the masses. :huh:

Not easy to pass on wisdom, anecdotes and family history. The market is small, as I have discovered. My own childhood and adolescence had a lot of startling events and episodes in it, some of it set against quite unusual backdrops too. Lately though my two teenagers have started to express a bit of curiosity.

My own family - parents and grandparents, now all long dead, were very good at passing down stories through the generations, to the extent that I know quite a few personal stories about my great-great-grandfather, and even a few about my great-great-great-great-great grandmother, born in 1795. They lived on in anecdote and story to the extent I feel as though I knew them. I have passed down a few of those tales to my own children so the old folks will continue to live on.

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1