Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Although I am not a fan of pointy toes...

That must change!

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

They look like they could be fun, and daring, to wear around the home office, but I am not sure I'd really spend the money to do it. On the other hand....

Although I am not a fan of pointy toes...

The 'good' thing about buying from a retail outfit, rather than a private seller, is that goods can be returned of course. If the fit or shape doesn't look good, then they go back. Even for me, I will risk circa £8 for both sets of carriage (though delivery is sometimes free), in the event I might end up with something I really enjoy owning.

What I am noticing, is that 'brands' are getting fairly expensive compared, to say 8 years ago. A pair of shoes I might have acquired for £30, are now more than doubt that (Pleaser). Shoes I might have seen with sticker prices of £80 (Carvela/KG) are now £150/£160 when they first arrive. Even 'own brands' (Debenhams 'Faith') are now more expensive than not-so-long-ago. This has little to do with recent political events (Brexit) though it could be responsible for any recent push, but this movement toward doubling of prices has been consistent for some 5 or 6 years now.

There is also a surge in the use of cheaper materials. 'Faux' suede has been disappointingly popular with retailers, and so with buyers (who either bought the faux suede or bought nothing). Denim has been attempted, with satin now having made an appearance, which could be this year's 'thing'.  

On the 'up' side for us with smaller feet, cheap Chinese shoes and boots are still available. (I just hope my feet don't get in bigger, or I'm in trouble too. :huh:)  I am trying to keep my weight down to help as much as possible. While it wasn't reported (IIRC) ** I eventually resolved my red patent courts desire, with a £20 pair of Jimmy Choo copies. The fit is surprisingly good, so keeping them wasn't a hard choice. In fact they fit better than the Office equivalent. There are some Louboutin 'Hot Chick' courts available, but only up to a slim UK7. No good to me at all.

58fdc12f97279_HotChickcopies.thumb.jpg.10a96d2994f5ff58ef2382b29fe62d6e.jpg

I'd love to walk around the ladies shoe stores in Selfridges, wearing a pair of these though .... :D

I've still got one or two 'irons in the fire' regarding a slim legged OTK boot, but both versions are in 'faux' suede. so I don't know if they would be walking out boots. Faux leather (PU) is much more suitable of course.

** Oh yes it was >> here << As was the desire own a pair of Hot Chick Loubies....

And while I think of it ...... "Close" but no prize .... From Office .... Discovered this morning.

58fde029d3542_OfficeHampton.jpg.cf30df22cce83b325ff96b6b84a3968c.jpg

I'd say there was a 'nod' to Hot Chick in there, and these have a full 5 inch heel too.  :wub:

Edited by FastFreddy2

I love my real suede OTK boots - very heavy and luxurious.

Those shiny thigh boots do look fun, but I think I would be too self conscious to get the full benefit! 

How do sellers get away with this word faux? If they used the English word no one would buy them! False leather? Either they're leather or they're not

10 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

How do sellers get away with this word faux? If they used the English word no one would buy them! False leather? Either they're leather or they're not

I think the temptation is translate literally false=faux as the words are so similar. It works better as "imitation". (Or fake, or counterfeit. All three words are found as translations of faux.) It may well have started as a phrase-familiar in (French) Indo-China, somewhere like Vietnam where there is production of plastic (PU) shoes. 

58fe88631901c_Fauxleather.jpg.4954b6e3bff7f5bcace47a3b060b10fe.jpg

Edited by FastFreddy2
Word added, to better express concept.

5 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

How would you describe it then? 

8 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

Don't champ on your imitation teeth

Took me a little while to work it out, but got there in the end. ;) :D

I think that 'faux' has been adopted because it is a weasel word; it sounds better and more acceptable than 'imitation' or 'artificial' and certainly more so than 'fake' or 'false' or 'substitute' or 'ersatz'.   And 'counterfeit' sounds so very dishonest.   A typical marketing ploy to dress something up with a fancy, foreign-sounding name that will appeal rather than detract.

The point is really that the various materials commonly used instead of leather may or may not be truly intended to have the same appearance or characteristics as leather, and therefore be fully accepted as a substitute which is, in most cases, cheaper to produce.   Some materials, such as PU, can be better or more attractive than leather in certain applications - provided that the stigma of not being 'real' leather is overcome if it matters.

The most accurate way of describing a plastic material intended to be a leather substitute is probably to call it 'synthetic leather', as is often done with footwear - but again not an attractive term.   (I can almost smell the chemicals as I type that.)

I don't know where, or when, 'faux' entered our language but it seems to have gained currency in many applications where an imitation or substitute product is offered, e.g. bricks and tiles, moulded door and furniture panels, jewellery.   

Yes there's really no attractive term for imitation or synthetic. And faux - while easier on the ear - is all too obviously a marketing palliative.

Probably they should call a spade a spade and simply say PU or PVC and leave it at that. 

PVC is clearly understood at least, although it has its own stigmas and connotations. 

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Probably they should call a spade a spade and simply say PU or PVC and leave it at that. 

I do tend to use that term where it's grammatically feasible. Not that I have much in the way of PU shoes, but I do own some. Which, I tend to wear when there's a chance of wet weather. Surplus or poor fitting PU shoes get moved. When I remember to do it.

Desperate to get out in some heels, I went to one of my usual haunts last night, basically, to have a cup of coffee and what I had expected to be a piece of banoffee cheese cake. Arriving at 7pm (after busy day with stone cutter) there was barely time for refreshment, but a voucher held by my walking companion needed using. (Last months was not used, wasted, and we didn't want a repeat performance.) 

Arriving at the donor store, there were tears when we discovered the reason for the trip (banoffee cheesecake) which is apparently part of he 'Winter' menu, is no longer available due to implementation of the current 'Summer' menu. :( Having just read a slice of this stuff might carry as many calories as 500 (yikes), one might be thinking it was just as well it wasn't available? Well yes, except it was replaced by some chocolate cake that tasted like it had circa 800 calories in it, 90% of which was undoubtedly sugar..... I won't be trying that again.

A brief walk around the mall was made, before returning to the car. Needing some cat-specific-milk, it was necessary to visit a couple of supermarkets on the way home. Being sufficiently distant from my home, I kept my heels on. Visit to the first supermarket went off without event, including finding suitable milk for 'tiddles'.

The second store, not quite so event-less. It's possibly only half a mile away from a community that generally lives in caravans. Three children of juvenile age were there, entertaining themselves - at 9pm mind you - using a couple of store provided wheelchairs for toys. The two moving around in the chairs would have been around 13-14, the elder (6ft x 15st giant) probably a little older at around 16. The bigger fella was pushing one of the younger boys around the back of the store, and the other little chap in the second chair, was rolling himself behind them. Why 'security' was allowing this, I don't know, but generally members of this community seem to be either revered or feared. Meaning, they do bad things with impunity, including using facilities offered for the handicapped, as toys.

While I probably should have made more of an effort to avoid them, it wasn't very long before my footwear got spotted. I've mentioned many times that people sitting are more likely to notice a heel than someone standing, and children (generally shorter than adults) are again, more likely to spot/hear a heel on a man. In this store, I had the dubious benefit of a third aspect, mobility care of wheelchairs. It meant multiple passes were possible, in quick succession.

Being aware of the 'wacky racers' wasn't hard, it's not like they were making any attempt at being discreet. Ignoring them worked, but the multiple passes as I walked around the back of the store, meant my shoes were 'discovered'. While I had moved to an alley where wheelchairs and shoppers couldn't pass, (being shown something by a store worker), the wheelchair team rolled past trying to catch a glimpse of my heels. Because of my location, it just wasn't possible as they were hidden by food stands. Eventually we had to move on, and in doing so I had to walk past the 'leader' in a chair with his 6ft pusher stood still behind him. (They'd rolled into a dead-end and I walked past them to leave the aisle through the open end.) The little fella in the chair could see I was approaching, and maybe thought I was going to challenge his need for a wheelchair, and looked at me. I held his eye and didn't stop looking at him until I passed. To be honest, we were both probably waiting for the other to speak, and neither did. He spoke to his 6ft buddy as I passed, and I heard him laugh, but in holding my stare he did not have the chance to look at my shoes (yay). After that, we didn't see them again, and that may have been because we left minutes later, empty-handed for the second time.

The third and last store visited, was huge and had the items so far not seen. By this time it was approaching 10pm, though the store was far from empty. It's close to a college, close to some film and TV studio's, and quite a lot of offices. There might also be a swimming pool and sports/health facility quite close by, so plenty of opportunity for late-night shoppers. Oh, and my walking companion has a work colleague that lives a stones throw away from the store. It wouldn't be the first time we've bumped into them with me in a heel. :huh: though not in that store .... This visit was uneventful though, but for finding some cat milk .... B)

After a day or two of warm weather now a month ago, the past two weeks have been fairly unpleasant. Temperatures have been low enough to see ground frost in places, and this weekend wasn't much better. We are barely getting into double figures some days ...

Today (Sunday 7th May) was forecast to be warmer, and it did seem promising with the Sun making an appearance, but the wind had a chill to it. Having put in some hours during the week, today was t be an adventure day, though it was touch-and-go right up until we left. Arriving in London late (we had waited for the promised sunshine before starting our journey) our 'mystery tour' care of a phone based SatNav system, got us to where we wanted to be by some fairly interesting route changes. We parked just South of Covent Garden at 4.30pm.

The primary reason for the visit was for me to walk around in 5" heels for a while. The walk started by us walking down a steep gradient to the Strand, and the sandwich shop. I doubt I covered my self in glory, though i was hopeful the return climb would be more straight-forward. We each acquired a sandwich, and sat close to the Embankment to eat.

While we sat in the Sun, all was good, As clouds separated us from the heat, the wind reminded us summer was still some way off. After our food was consumed, we crossed over the Thames on a foot bridge, and pretty soon walked back again. Although not yet 6pm, the air was unpleasantly chill. We walked back to the car along the Strand, and as the buildings protected us from the worst of the wind, this part of the walk was quite pleasant.

In the car and on the way home, I was reminded of my last time there: "Parked" at some traffic lights, I'd seen a gaggle of girls mostly in high heeled platform wedges, and play suits or shorts. Sat at a different set of lights on the same road, I pondered to whether I should get my camera at the ready... Deciding it was likely too cold for a repeat performance I dismissed the idea, On the last knockings of me being held at the lights, a seriously tall slim lady, walked across in front of me. She had long shoulder length hair and make-up care of the late 70's/early 80's, and her wearing an evening gown mostly covered by a long dark coat. She was easily 6ft tall, helped by her gold-heeled wedge shoes that had at least a 5 inch heel on them. Mrs Freddy, rather ungraciously suggested she looked a bit sour-faced. I responded that walking in those shoes along those pavements would have taken a supreme act of concentration, not allowing much energy left for a smile. As soon as she had crossed, the lights changed and we were off. No time for a second glance and nowhere to turn around either so no record of 'the look'. :huh:

Perhaps next time?

An interesting afternoon, Freddy, despite the not-too-encouraging weather.   What was your footwear, please - and did your feet complain?

You say that you walked (from Covent Garden area) to the Strand 'down a steep gradient'.   As I recall, the area north of the Strand is only a little higher, whereas it is distinctly steep from the Strand towards the Embankment (e.g. down Villiers Street), close to which you say you enjoyed your comestibles.   Did you mean that you walked downhill from Strand to Embankment - in which case I much admire your ability to do so in heels?   I've seen women struggle on that descent.   But, as you imply, the return uphill is a lot easier, albeit with a risk of nosebleed.   

I am likely to go on a modest expedition tomorrow (to acquire some special tiles for a building refurb) which will afford an opportunity for a diverting stroll around a town that I visit only rarely.   I shall probably wear my 'cowboy' boots with 2.75" heel; I don't think that anything more adventurous will be safe, alas.   Fortunately, although the town is quite hilly, I don't need to stray from the flatter areas.

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

An interesting afternoon, Freddy, despite the not-too-encouraging weather.   What was your footwear, please - and did your feet complain?

The event wasn't long enough for my feet to complain, although we probably walked a couple of miles, not very quickly:D Footwear for the jaunt were those that are becoming my 'Mars bar' shoes ("work, rest and play" shoes) as per my avatar. Not wholly attractive, but a high heel with stout wide heel, ideal for the loose and uneven paving slabs that pass for a pathway in the area. I have seen Roman remains in better shape....

You say that you walked (from Covent Garden area) to the Strand 'down a steep gradient'.   As I recall, the area north of the Strand is only a little higher, whereas it is distinctly steep from the Strand towards the Embankment (e.g. down Villiers Street), close to which you say you enjoyed your comestibles.   Did you mean that you walked downhill from Strand to Embankment - in which case I much admire your ability to do so in heels?   I've seen women struggle on that descent.   But, as you imply, the return uphill is a lot easier, albeit with a risk of nosebleed.   

The Villiers route was used for the return journey. It avoided a longer, but windier route up to Trafalgar Square. Mrs Freddy had as usual, underestimated the effect of the wind and travelled inappropriately dressed. Many were wearing coats or anoraks. She in an open knit cardigan. :rolleyes: 

Covent Garden does sit on something of a plateau, but the South side does have a not insignificant slope, to a degree. Shown here:

59103d1c9a204_SouthofCG.thumb.jpg.d74a5d6dbf903f6b1ae485561f597482.jpg

Not only does the pathway slope downward (toward the river), but it slopes toward the roadway too, I suspect to avoid torrents of water from heavy rain, becoming a river that might wash tourists off the pathway. ;) 

This second image doesn't show the secondary gradient very well, but it does show the condition of the pathway. The flat and even floor of a shopping mall, it very definitely isn't.

5910404194c4c_SouthwardsfromCG.jpg.488d5e3f21b6c78289363d69866a28e7.jpg

You are right in that South of the Strand, involves an even more significant slope, shown here.

5910403f9d0bb_SouthsideofStrand.thumb.jpg.31a08f52ef50d60fa53c3e076b651837.jpg

This is our usual route down to the Embankment, as was yesterday, with me in a pair of shoes with heels a couple of millimetres shy of 5 inches. 

I am likely to go on a modest expedition tomorrow (to acquire some special tiles for a building refurb) which will afford an opportunity for a diverting stroll around a town that I visit only rarely.   I shall probably wear my 'cowboy' boots with 2.75" heel; I don't think that anything more adventurous will be safe, alas.   Fortunately, although the town is quite hilly, I don't need to stray from the flatter areas.

A report of any adventure, most welcome. I will never understand how us Men in Heels, feel a wander anywhere could be perceived as uninteresting. "Incidents" of course, always add to the salaciousness of the report. ;) :P :D

Edited by FastFreddy2

"As previously advertised" .... there was still some light in the sky at 10pm last night. The days are indeed, 'getting longer'. (Meaning: daylight hours are increasing.) No surprises, since midsummer day is only about 6 weeks away.

Yet at 6am this morning, I had to scrape ice off the front windshield of my car. Lovely bright sunny cloudless sky, but blinking cold. At least the wind we've endured for the last 4/5/6 days, has finally abated. We are promised some warmer weather next week. No-one is making plans, as we have been promised "warmer weather next week" for around six weeks. So far, it hasn't bothered to turn up. When it does, I'm sure the pendulum will swing in the opposite direction. We will have 30' degree windless days, with close to 20' windless nights. People (possibly me) will be flirting with heat-stroke, hoping for cooler weather to arrive. All too quickly the British Summer will fall into decline, and wet/cool weather will be with us again.

I can understand why so many people become "expat's" and move to Spain, or at least 'warmer climes'. 

In keeping with this dour weather, I shall be making a visit to Westfield this Thursday, all being well. A large mall, with an even walking surface, and enclosed environment. Rain is expected Thursday. Farmers and the water companies will welcome it, as we are heading for a drought. Honestly, you couldn't make it up. At least I'm not having to cut the lawn every week. :rolleyes:

The visit to Westfield passed without incident, almost.

1. A chap in ALDO got an interesting surprise when he realised I was wearing a heel. I expect to get spotted in shoe shops, it's what the staff are there for. Staff can often work that out by what customers are wearing, if they are buyers or browsers. Could I work in an Office or an ALDO? Yes, and for not much money. ;)

2. Was a bit surprised myself, seeing 5 police officers all armed, walking around the gaff. Well, surprised and disappointed. They were in a single group when I first spotted them ... So caused a bit of a stir .... Later in two smaller groups, they seemed to be more interested in themselves, than what was going on around them. Hopefully, it has no consequence.

Edited by FastFreddy2
Typo.

According to the Goldhawk Road Gazette, the police were looking for a man who had been reported as acting furtively in several shoe shops '... whilst brandishing a stiletto...' and walking unsteadily.  :o

• Like 2

On Tuesday, I had to travel to just north of Hastings to pick up some special tiles for a building refurb.   I decided to drop into Hastings for a couple of hours afterwards before going on to deliver the tiles etc.  I know the town but only go there occasionally; like many seaside towns (notably Margate), it has seen better days and still has its fair share of run-down property and unemployment but there are signs of a renaissance.   (Usual disclaimer: other investment opportunities are available.)

I parked, as usual, about half a mile north of the town centre where free street parking is available for two hours and walked into the centre.   I was wearing my ‘cowboy boots’ (pic below) 59158e9bb4c79_Cowboy1x.png.6f567c670225c03b5b9fde9dffdb97ec.pngunder ordinary-length straight-leg jeans.   They have a 2.75” slim block heel and are both comfortable and discreet, although the fact that I was wearing a ‘high heel’ (by men’s standards) would have been pretty obvious to any onlooker and I expect that I was spotted, although I detected no adverse reaction.

An hour or so in the town centre was sufficient; there are only a few shops that are worth a look.   New Look had a fair selection of more fashionable styles, including a number of sale bargains with some as cheap as £3 and a sprinkling of larger sizes (up to UK9) and wider fittings.   I was about to leave when two men (30s) wandered into the ladies shoe section and started to look round   One of them had long hair tied back in a bunch and appeared to be wearing some make-up, although not otherwise of a particularly feminine appearance or camp in manner.   Whether he found something nice to wear, I don’t know; there was certainly nothing that would have fitted me.   The other shop I visited, Diechmann, has a limited range of women’s shoes up to size Eu44 but, regardless of size, nothing remotely exciting.   

It was too early for lunch so, after an uneventful stroll back to the car, I drove on towards the north Kent coast, stopping briefly at Morrisons in Canterbury for fuel and a few necessities in the supermarket – notably including the very good value £3 ‘meal deal’: a tasty help-yourself ‘medium’ salad, drink and pastry.   With a little planning, it is surprising how much assorted salad can be crammed into the plastic box and I was certainly ready for what was now a late lunch!   I was still wearing the boots and again got no reaction.   Maybe I was half wanting someone to notice and indicate surprise, curiosity, approval, disgust or whatever …?     

All in all, a minor and uneventful excursion.   Encouraging it its way and perhaps prompting something a little more daring in the future.

Edited by Puffer
  • Like 1

Sounds like the guy was a bit of a heel

(This in joking response to the post about the suspicious chap with the stiletto - not Puffer's trip to Hastings!)  

Edited by Shyheels

Hastings is indeed enjoying a renaissance. If you go into the Old Town there are some really quite nice coffee shops and bistros and boutique shops, not unlike some of those you find in the lanes in Brighton. Priory Meadow - the shopping mall in the centre of town - is uninspiring, but the seafront is nice, there are more nice eateries around and the new minimalist pier is worth a look when next you are in town.