Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

On 6/29/2018 at 1:32 AM, FastFreddy2 said:

If you are still looking ....

ALDO have something along this line. I would show a picture, and include a link, but ALDO has a shyte search engine and a shyte website. Consequently I can't show you the very elegant looking high heeled closed toe mules I saw 'in-store' last week.  I would like to own a pair myself, but at circa £50+ (reduced to) I won't be buying. And since I can't find them on their shyte web site, I won't be talking myself into buying them either. 

If I go near one of their shyte stores, I'll try to take a picture, just for reference really. :rolleyes:

tenno_black_97_main_sq_gy_800x800.jpg

2132748979_ALDOtenno.jpg.0a7833ed2f67e375ed5dc649e6c4abaf.jpg

ALDO Tenno.

Originally available in red or black (possibly white) at £80. Only smaller sizes available now (red or black) at £40.

Yes, the weather has become a tad tiresome and uncomfortable, although a little cooler in many areas south of London.   But it was noticeably warmer in deepest Suffolk over the weekend when I visited, albeit with just enough breeze to induce a little comfort.  And rain, although very sparse, has appeared on a few occasions with (would you believe) a brief downpour causing localised flooding in West Kent last Thursday (not for the first time).  Driving without aircon must be awful; fortunately mine works adequately. 

One minor bonus of the fine weather is that Wimbledon and other mind-numbingly boring periodic events have not been disrupted, so TV schedules etc have not been as adversely affected as is usual, despite the attempts of the World Cup to dominate our lives.   I shall, as always, be glad when the circus is all over.    And then it will be winter Olympics or somesuch ...

Watched the weather report this morning, and just about all of the UK due to have some sort of rain today, ranging from light shower to enough rain to cause localised flooding. At the time of writing (2 am) I think my county must be one of the few places that managed to dodge it all. Still some signs of cloud cover, but no rain. Yet I live in one of the dampest places I know. If it rains anywhere, it rains here. :rolleyes:

Worse news on the weather report tonight, we could be seeing temperatures up in the mid 30's C by the middle of next week, and the 2-3 week forecast is more of the same. Great for children on school holidays, not so good for anyone else, nor anything else. We are moving into our third (almost completely) dry month, at least around here. Where months of rain had moved to damp but warm weather, grass was green, lush and producing an almost Amazonian feel to the world. This is long gone, with brown, dried out grass everywhere. With hosepipe bans imminent, even die-hard enthusiastic gardeners will be struggling to keep their gardens and produce "alive". The general look of my immediate environment is much like that of Spain, where apparently, our heat is coming from. They have it even worse, with daily temperatures reaching 40' C. An intolerable temperature for me.

It's not all been bad news on the going out front though. I managed to get out for a while last week. With a shower promised (that again never arrived) I went to Westfield. Finding myself unusually thirsty, I went to John Lewis only to discover their coffee shop closes at 8, an hour before the store shuts and two hours before the centre. Then I couldn't find a Costa, (closed/gone) nor the listed Caffe Nero and desperate for a drink, I settled for a Friji milkshake from Waitrose. Not sure why these coffee shops were closed/missing, but I saved myself £1-50 and justified a chocolate flavoured calorie boost that I've forced myself to avoid for around a year. "Needs must" innit. ;) :D 

Waitrose couldn't be further away from JL, so I had quite a workout in heels. Having arrived later in the day, there wasn't time for a leisurely stroll to get around, it was more a brisk walk that seemed like proper 'exercise'. It may that, and the temperature that make me unusually thirsty. That milkshake  'hit the spot' but probably contained 600 calories, what should be almost a quarter of my daily intake. (Hence my avoidance during the past year or so.)

With children's school holidays with us for the next 6 weeks, I will be avoiding malls during the day. I would say children are 3 to 4 times more observant than adults, which may or may not be influenced by their height and boredom levels.

I can't say how much I'd like to walk around in sandals with a high heel, in these temperatures. There are a lot of interesting styles around at the moment, many involving perspex. In the next life ..... :huh: 

Yes, it has remained extremely hot (and increasingly humid) in the south east.   I was (supposedly) 'relaxing' on the north Kent coast yesterday and today and the temperatures were certainly in the high 20s.   The 'rain' yesterday (only) was literally a few intermittent drops that one hardly noticed - and which was barely even refreshing.   Temperatures of 30C are likely midweek and little sign of a change.   I am going on a short canal trip in Surrey on Monday (a friend's birthday event) and it seems likely that it will be further shortened by potential water shortages, alas.

Not good weather for any sort of activity involving effort, inside or out.   Certainly not for the three days I spent doing plumbing at my stepson's house in Suffolk last week - a propane blowtorch is a trifle too warm in close confined spaces even when the ambient temperature is modest. Still, I managed to lose about 6lbs over the period; not unwelcome but all too easily replaced (assuming a Waitrose milkshake or three).   Very easy to get dehydrated; drinking lots of water is essential.

As to footwear, it is definitely sandal weather for me; the briefer the better.   I don't have any with heels that could conceivably be worn outside but I've seen a number of interesting 'barely there' styles on women that I would definitely wear if protocol allowed.   And wedges are always attractive if not of the clumpy type.   My observations suggest that few women are wearing heeled sandals at present (at least during the day) - plenty of strappy flats including umpteen varieties of flip-flops, a few modest wedges and occasional low block-heeled slingbacks.   Stiletto styles, if any, seem mostly confined to dressy evening activity - so I rarely see any as I'm invariably at home after teatime, and in bed knackered by 10.30.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:13 PM, Puffer said:

Not good weather for any sort of activity involving effort, inside or out.   Certainly not for the three days I spent doing plumbing at my stepson's house in Suffolk last week - a propane blowtorch is a trifle too warm in close confined spaces even when the ambient temperature is modest. Still, I managed to lose about 6lbs over the period; not unwelcome but all too easily replaced (assuming a Waitrose milkshake or three).   Very easy to get dehydrated; drinking lots of water is essential.

I just wouldn't do it. :o

Yesterday I changed my T-shirt 3 times. My armpits just can't stop leaking..... This week, we are promised low to mid 30'C heat with humidity to match, I expect it to feel like Spring in the Everglades :rolleyes: without the prospect of aircon for respite. I've had enough. 

Yesterday I had planned to go to the Thames for a refreshing walk along some waterfront, it being closer than any coastal opportunity. I didn't make it. The humidity took its toll, and I returned home early without ever putting on a heel. :(

Edited by FastFreddy2

We are finally, a bit more than a week into more British weather that passes for our summer. We are promised a blast from the North (Arctic) care of the transatlantic jet stream in the coming days. Yes, our proper weather has returned. Sadly, so have the shorter daylight hours.

Was out Sunday for a couple of hours at one of my usual haunts. Thought I'd struggle in a heel since it had been so long, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Had a nice surprise in that I spotted a middle-aged lady who obviously looks after herself, out in some attractive 4" stiletto heels. I saw a younger girl wearing some red high heel ankle boots too. No camera (left at home) so no pictures. Was still warm at the mall, so left before close of business.

I'm hoping to be wearing a heel tomorrow night (Thursday). Might be heading to Westfield, although schools are out so might be full of teenagers. Wetter weather is on the way, so it might have to be a mall.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Was in the West End last night, and looking through camera equipment (Christmas shopping for me).

Got spotted wearing a heel. Very spotted.

When I needed assistance, I contrived to have the 'spotter' help me. Went very well. No negativity, quite the opposite. I suppose I should have asked what they thought, but an opinion either way would not have any influence. So why ask?

One of the things I often concern myself with, is falling over while wearing a heel. Falling over is bad enough, but in a heel!

This afternoon while crossing a road and face stuck in a text message (so not looking where I was going) .... In flat (work)  shoes, I tripped. Felt like I was going over as I crossed the road. Fortunately, I'd wisely waited for an empty road .... With my hands inches from the road and me dreading bloodied palms, I managed to regain my balance. Must have looked like a goose making a bad landing, but I kept off the floor (road). That'll teach me. Read all the time about people with head-stuck-in-phone coming a cropper, and nearly did that very thing. Mental note to self: 'No more walking while looking at phone'.) :rolleyes:   

Edited by FastFreddy2

Despite not keeping this up to date (does anyone else seek to meet like minded people in the capital or Hone Counties), I have been out and about. Yesterday, was at Bluewater in Kent. I've never been on a Saturday before, and won't be going again on a Saturday. Was in the area on business, so it would have been wasteful of the journey, not to take advantage. I walked in a 5" heel, from 2.30pm to a tad past 8.30pm. Some of the time I had to stand still, which regular heel wearers will know, is a killer.

My feet knew I'd been in a heel for a 6 hours stretch, but the discomfort was easily tolerable. I have plans to visit London today, and I'm honestly not sure if my feet are up to it. Only one way to find out....

As to B/W on a Saturday, my advice: don't unless you have no choice. I had to hunt for a car parking space, where usually I can easily find an empty area to park without having vehicles around my parked one. Drivers were following shoppers returning to their car because the car parks were so full, and I don't mean they were looking for spaces next to the mall entrances either.

Some outlets had run out of food I would normally consume, by 3pm. The stores close at 9pm, even on a Saturday. That's over half the trading day with empty food shelves. Every coffee shop had a queue, seating areas were packed to. I got lucky at around 3.30 having walked into a coffee shop as a couple left, I sat down immediately without doing anything else, while Mrs Freddy got refreshments. We had planned to eat before we left but again, queues at all the eateries, and I don't queue for food. (The war ended 74 years ago... )  

I was going to write "next time I'll take lunch and liquids", but there will not be a 'next time' on a Saturday. I think I'll stick to quieter weekdays. B)

yep I am quite willing to a heel meet around the uk, have been to several in the past, let me know when and where.

12 hours ago, dww said:

yep I am quite willing to a heel meet around the uk, have been to several in the past, let me know when and where.

I rather fancy that is up to you. I'm fairly flexible (especially for my age) and can meet almost anytime any place in London and (Northern) Home Counties. B)

On 4/28/2019 at 10:54 AM, FastFreddy2 said:

My feet knew I'd been in a heel for a 6 hours stretch, but the discomfort was easily tolerable. I have plans to visit London today, and I'm honestly not sure if my feet are up to it. Only one way to find out....

Well .....

I went to the West End on Sunday, despite my misgivings. Feet were not too bad, despite me being in 5" heels again. Sounds pretty gruelling, but as long as I didn't try to race along Oxford Street, it was okay. I spent some time sitting too, so the balls of my feet got plenty of rest.

So glad I went. Visited one of the larger stores, and saw an attractive woman in Loubies, with semi-shiny faux leather leggings that showed off her stunning shape. I have an image taken in half-darkness, but it really doesn't do her justice as it was a snap shot taken as she walked past me. As always, my interest was the shoes anyway. That said, she must be an experienced heel-wearer, and she walked very very well given the heel height and style. B)  

I didn't do so well later (apparently). While walking back to my car from a bin where I had deposited some waste paper, I was told I was walking like "someone touting for business". Charming! :rolleyes:

Went to Brent Cross and Westfield tonight. Got 'noticed so many times, I might as well have worn a skirt too.

Soon after I got out of my car, and before I got into BX, my heels had been spotted by a foreign worker (this is pertinent as he wasn't as disinterested as a Brit might be), and unknown to him, I watched him stare at my feet using his reflection in a shop window to see him doing what I thought he might after I passed him. By way of stopping him announce my shoes to his 3 buddies, I stared backwards as I continued into the centre. The last bod in the troupe also noticed how small my feet were, but fortunately I walked into the mall before he had a chance for a second glance. Not a great start to my evening, but fairly typical of it.

The stay at Brent X was short, but I got spotted by a couple of women, each shopping alone so not distracted by mutual conversation. At Westfield, my first 'stare', was as I stood on the escalator that took me into the mall. To be honest, that may have been a general thing, (might have been where she was looking as she went down an escalator) but it didn't encourage.  

In M+S, I got spotted multiple times. Always by people who were not obviously British. W/F is something of a tourist trap for people shopping for bargains to take home I suppose. Staff at M+S were much more discreet if they noticed, and I'm sure they did. Not one person took amusement at my expense, nor made a critical remark that I heard. Even though I was spotted, I got a 'free pass' and was allowed to go on my way without hindrance or harm. 

In many ways things could have been worse. Schools are out, so many more young people were walking around W/F. They tend to be more interested in anomalous situations,  and less likely to be discreet having spotted them.  I seldom let young folk walk behind me for more than a couple of paces for that reason. Conversely, people walking past me don't get much time to take in what they may or may not have seen. Those keeping pace behind me, would otherwise get all the time they need to understand what they think they could be looking at. I always have my 'radar' switched to active, and I like to think paranoia plays no part in my seeing people notice my heels. Consequently, if one or more people are behind me and walking at the same speed, I almost always stop to look in a shop window and let them pass. In a store I will slip between isles, and suddenly become very interested in whatever is in front of me. Doesn't always work, as I found out in John Lewis. Must had had the same woman pass me at least 3 times in ten minutes. Every time, her eyes would linger at my feet as she passed. The last time, I nearly offered her a good look at my footwear, as to satisfy her curiosity. I suppose a man wearing a heel is no surprise to me, but seems to surprise middle-aged people who you might expect to have previous knowledge of this. Maybe my life hasn't been as 'sheltered' as it feels to me. :D  

Edited by FastFreddy2

Back into the big city later today, (Sunday) all being well.

The weather here in the UK has not been very good recently, for the time of year. This time last year, we had a summer that really was a summer. This year it's been dry, but cool. Today was noticeably warmer, tomorrow not quite so warm, but it'll be warm and dry. Good walking in a heel weather.

The plan at the moment is to visit a single store in the West End, then drive down to the river for a small lunch watching river traffic. Mrs Freddy has a new camera, and I'm hoping she will get a little practice in with it before she has to use 'in earnest' while away on one of her many holidays. :D (I will be home, looking after the cat.)

My days of international travel are over. So over, I've let my passport lapse. I can't be doing with the B/S that is recognised as "airport security" for starters. Then I think of what I could do with the £1000 a modest holiday would cost. Like spend it on something I could enjoy every day of the year. Ultimately, the cat is the critical issue. He doesn't know what it's like, for me to be absent. I'm not sure I want him to find out. Besides which, I should be concentrating on getting fit with my new bike. :rolleyes: Not gallivanting around Europe getting myself into mischief. ;) :D 

Edited by FastFreddy2

On 6/1/2019 at 1:38 AM, FastFreddy2 said:

Went to Brent Cross and Westfield tonight. Got 'noticed so many times, I might as well have worn a skirt too.

As a matter of interest, what footwear were you wearing, and did your trousers provide cover or not?

19 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Back into the big city later today, (Sunday) all being well.

The weather here in the UK has not been very good recently, for the time of year. This time last year, we had a summer that really was a summer. This year it's been dry, but cool. Today was noticeably warmer, tomorrow not quite so warm, but it'll be warm and dry. Good walking in a heel weather.

The plan at the moment is to visit a single store in the West End, then drive down to the river for a small lunch watching river traffic. Mrs Freddy has a new camera, and I'm hoping she will get a little practice in with it before she has to use 'in earnest' while away on one of her many holidays. :D (I will be home, looking after the cat.)

My days of international travel are over. So over, I've let my passport lapse. I can't be doing with the B/S that is recognised as "airport security" for starters. Then I think of what I could do with the £1000 a modest holiday would cost. Like spend it on something I could enjoy every day of the year. Ultimately, the cat is the critical issue. He doesn't know what it's like, for me to be absent. I'm not sure I want him to find out. Besides which, I should be concentrating on getting fit with my new bike. :rolleyes: Not gallivanting around Europe getting myself into mischief. ;) :D 

Having just returned from my own modest European holiday, I'm increasingly sympathetic to your disenchantment with overseas travel.   Quite apart from having mediocre weather (mostly better at home last week, I understand), the aggravation and delay endemic in any air travel is no encouragement.   I hate getting up at around 3am to go to the airport, endure all manner of inconveniences and then fly back over my own house some four hours later whilst crammed into a too-small seat.   Whilst my break (weather aside) was fairly relaxing and enjoyable, I too can think of better ways to deplete my sons' inheritance.

4 hours ago, Puffer said:

As a matter of interest, what footwear were you wearing, and did your trousers provide cover or not?

Shoes you have seen (avatar) and long jeans that covered my heel. Typically, I get noticed from the front. Noise from my shoes can be heard (although not a stiletto), but the small toe shown, might be something of a giveaway?  I'm not sure if I have mentioned it here before, but in a restaurant not too long ago, a waitress remarked at how small my feet were. (Even though I'd just given her a decent tip. :D) She was on the way around the table for another look, when I managed to dodge her getting that second look. ;) 

I've also noticed, my fluidity in a heel, (hip sway, ankle bend) suffers with absence. I am trying to get out more in a heel, especially since longer/warmer days are supposed to be here. Forecast for today was "dry". Well it rained on the way in, while there, and tried most of all the way back, succeeding on arrival home. :rolleyes:   

Having just returned from my own modest European holiday, I'm increasingly sympathetic to your disenchantment with overseas travel.   Quite apart from having mediocre weather (mostly better at home last week, I understand), the aggravation and delay endemic in any air travel is no encouragement.   I hate getting up at around 3am to go to the airport, endure all manner of inconveniences and then fly back over my own house some four hours later whilst crammed into a too-small seat.   Whilst my break (weather aside) was fairly relaxing and enjoyable, I too can think of better ways to deplete my sons' inheritance.

:D :D :D

A neighbour has just returned from a holiday similar to yours I think. Apparently weather while away, was surprisingly dull for the first 4 days? We have friends who returned from a Mediterranean island holiday a couple of weeks ago, where it rained most days. Crete or Corfu, I can't remember.  The "weather" has been doing some odd things this year.

In London today, I didn't notice anyone noticing me. I'm sure they did, but anyone who did was very discreet about it. Even while in House of Fraser, where I tried on some Carvela courts, and two pairs of ALDO shoes, shop assistants kept away. While sitting for the second time, having tried on some shoes a size too small, I didn't notice a lady had sat down next to me (behind me) until I got up and walked away. It was obvious I was trying on womens (court) shoes, but I was ignored. :ph34r: Suits me. B)  Today was a completely different experience from Friday evening. 

Edited by FastFreddy2

There was a plan for me and an elderly friend to visit London this weekend. Weather promises to be wet  for the next week or so, and this isn't exactly encouraging. My elderly friend hasn't been very well recently, and although this trip has been planned for some time, it looks like it might be postponed. :(

I am fresh out of 'company' to go with me instead. Mrs F is out on a jaunt with a friend who is leaving the Home Counties for good. A second friend, (heels aware) is out of the country from Saturday. While some will be thinking 'why don't I go alone', the answer is the visits out in London are for as much social activity as anything else. If I was that keen for a walk in heels, I would walk out alone in desolate places much closer to home.

Part of the 'usual' procedure, is to go into one of the big stores for coffee and a snack. (Okay, coffee and a cake. :huh:)  Then people watch. I make some sport from this by creating stories about the other people seated or walking past. You'd be surprised how many dodgy folk I tumble up to no good. :D 

If my visit is postponed, I might have to go out on my bike instead. That'll be novel, getting a bike dirty. Haven't done that for nearly 20 years. :o :D

Well the Sunday wasn't cancelled, and the invite to the Trouping of the Colour didn't arrive (again :rolleyes:) so I went to London with my elderly friend. I say "elderly", that means compared to most readers. Compared to me, I suppose she's like an older sister. :huh:

I wasn't sure about wearing a heel. Two of the shops we were planning to go to, know my face, and one of the two - very well. I've only been to London once in (x) years without a heel on, so a sudden change in height might be noticed immediately. I don't think my heels are a secret, but arriving 5 inches shorter might set alarm bells off. Would my 'guest' companion be bothered? As it turns out, not at all. In fact she was moderately interested in them.

We did all the 'usual' things I might do, meaning coffee and cake. Walked around a bit. Got slightly wet from the odd shower. Covered a lot of ground, with neither of us bothered by my footwear. In fact the shoes my friend wore had something of a hard heel. When we synchronised our pace, it was possible for the sound of her shoe to cover the sound of mine. Bonus!

We had planned to have a sandwich by the river, but the rain prevented that. It's not quite the same having a picnic in the car, but the company was pleasant, and so was the food my friend had kindly brought with her. The journey home was almost uneventful. A decision was made to buy something from John Lewis en route. I've got a clever phone, and placing an order on what was supposed to be the last item in stock (hence the need to purchase in a hurry), failed. On concluding the purchase procedure, something that was quite time consuming in itself, Mr Lewis said "Sorry, out of stock." Was quite frustrating .... :angry:

By the time we got out of London, the rain had settled in. Luckily we had missed most of it having left early enough to avoid it.

This was the second time I had promised my lady friend a view of the Thames in the first person, and for the second time I was foiled by time. I hope there's a third chance, and if there is perhaps I need to concentrate on that, rather than try to do other things first. (Which includes, coffee, cake, and people watching.) 

As far as heel wearing was concerned, a good day out, with camouflage heel tapping from a companion. 

This time last year (IIRC) we were enjoying one of the best summers we'd had for quite a while.

For the past two days, it's been so cold I've been forced to put the central heating on. This unusual situation has not been helped by the amount of rain we've had here. See this link and a couple of pictures:

>> UK flooding <<

14638908-7126491-image-a-34_156024481001

14636168-7126491-MailOnline_reader_Emma_

We have another two or three days of this, a brief respite then possibly some more the other side of next weekend. :rolleyes: The great British Summer has returned.

It stopped raining for a while this afternoon, so I (we) went to London, and to the V + A. Turns out, I went to the wrong place to look at Egyptian artefacts. Ho-hum.

British Museum, maybe next weekend .... :rolleyes: :D

6 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

It stopped raining for a while this afternoon, so I (we) went to London, and to the V + A. Turns out, I went to the wrong place to look at Egyptian artefacts. Ho-hum.

British Museum, maybe next weekend .... :rolleyes: :D

There's always the Treasures of Tooting Common. ;)

Worcester County Cricket Club ....

1803729221_Worcestercountycricketclub.jpg.7e1030754656227407caece598ee06d2.jpg

Worcester Race Course.

1562950965_Worchesterracecourse.jpg.4b14f9da6799f91ffcbe9255b884fd9f.jpg

As a reminder, these images are from the third week in June, "Summer" - apparently.

River burst its banks due to heavy (unseasonal) rainfall. More due Tuesday 18th June ... :rolleyes:

All copyrights acknowledged.

Edited by FastFreddy2

And so it goes on ....

14977416-7157267-image-a-13_156093434628

"A supercell thunderstorm over Orford in Suffolk last night as eerie blue-grey clouds swirl in circular shapes above a pink sky"

14977424-7157267-image-a-15_156093438706

Hastings.

14975222-7157267-image-a-47_156092970149

Southend.

14974666-7157267-image-a-18_156092842520

We are a couple of days away from "mid-summers day", that gives us the longest daytime hours, and shortest night time.  

Winter, is just not letting go! :(

On 6/17/2019 at 8:49 AM, Puffer said:

There's always the Treasures of Tooting Common. ;)

Isn't that men with long coats looking for similarly dressed men, often if not always, some hours into the night? ;) 

12 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Isn't that men with long coats looking for similarly dressed men, often if not always, some hours into the night? ;) 

I bow to your superior (and possibly intimate) knowledge of such activity!   :o

On 6/20/2019 at 11:04 PM, Puffer said:

I bow to your superior (and possibly intimate) knowledge of such activity!   :o

You are being too modest. B) I'm sure your coat is significantly older and more worn than mine. ;) :P :D