Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

"Last minute" meeting around the UK?

Cold here! Sunny but an easterly wind. I'm off to a company conference tomorrow, where I always wear heels. Previously I've worn my wedge boots, or, one time, my concealed heels, but tomorrow I'm going to wear my new block heels and see if I get any reaction. I'm a bit tired of no reaction at all! There will be at least 4000 people there, mainly female, and I'm travelling in the car with three of them. I know two quite well but never met the other. I'll take my wedges in case I bottle out or a heel comes loose...

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Perfume that knocks you over isn't terribly good perfume! ^_^

I don't know if it's me, or the "ladies" I'm smelling it on, but some perfumes are wasted on my nose. These work for me:

Going waaay back, Yves Saint Laurent's Opium Eau de Parfum, let itself be known it was being worn close to me.

Next up Estée Lauder White Linen Eau de Parfum.

Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau de Parfum.

Paco Rabanne Black XS for Women Eau de Parfum

Marc Jacobs  Daisy deluxe Eau de Parfum

Some are these are so strong, even those wearing them find them a bit on the heavy side, ;) but not me.

My nose is more 'in tune' with offensive smells, unfortunately. I'm the first to smell a fart. First to smell dog poo on someone's shoe.... Blocked drain, gas leak, the list is endless. But a subtle perfume? No chance. 

31 minutes ago, Tacchi Alti said:

Cold here! Sunny but an easterly wind. I'm off to a company conference tomorrow, where I always wear heels. Previously I've worn my wedge boots, or, one time, my concealed heels, but tomorrow I'm going to wear my new block heels and see if I get any reaction. I'm a bit tired of no reaction at all! There will be at least 4000 people there, mainly female, and I'm travelling in the car with three of them. I know two quite well but never met the other. I'll take my wedges in case I bottle out or a heel comes loose...

Can I come? ;) :P :D

That said, you often travel all over the country, but if it's in London. ;) :D

8 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Can I come? ;) :P :D

That said, you often travel all over the country, but if it's in London. ;) :D

It's in Coventry, but I don't think there would be room in the car! That said, if you made your own way you'd be very welcome as a guest!

Edited by Tacchi Alti
Addition

1 minute ago, Tacchi Alti said:

It's in Coventry, but I don't think there would be room in the car!

I'll start walking now ... It's only 70 miles from here ... ;) :D

If the weather man has it right, best keep some blankets in the car. :( It's getting very cold up this way. 

57 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I don't know if it's me, or the "ladies" I'm smelling it on, but some perfumes are wasted on my nose.

Likewise.   I can never identify particular perfumes, and some I find to be unpleasant.   I've no idea what perfume my wife favours (possibly Eau de Lidl?) but my ex-wife used to like one called 'Tramp'.   To my surprise, it was quite sniffable - and did not smell like a mixture of vomit and meths as the name suggests.   (I suppose the US version would be called 'Bum' - suggesting other scents entirely.)

25 minutes ago, Puffer said:

Likewise.   I can never identify particular perfumes, and some I find to be unpleasant.   I've no idea what perfume my wife favours (possibly Eau de Lidl?) but my ex-wife used to like one called 'Tramp'.   To my surprise, it was quite sniffable - and did not smell like a mixture of vomit and meths as the name suggests.   (I suppose the US version would be called 'Bum' - suggesting other scents entirely.)

In that range, my preferred smell, is 'floozy'. ;) :P  :D

I suspect the name of the perfume derives in some way from the 1950s jazz number The Lady is A Tramp, as sung by Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Shirley Bassey and others. 

I never heard The Lady is A Bum or The Lady is a A Floozy - I doubt such a title would ever have gained much traction. 

Edited by Shyheels

46 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I never heard The Lady is A Bum or The Lady is a A Floozy - I doubt such a title would ever have gained much traction. 

Well, not in America anyway.... ;)

Just back in from a wander, and it's getting VERY cold outside despite the absence of any air movement of note.

I've a visit to the West End pencilled in for Sunday, but I may have to give it a miss. I no longer own clothing that would allow me to tolerate sub-zero temperatures for anything longer than a few minutes. Just like my cat, if it's wet and windy outside, I'm staying inside... 

Mrs Freddy is off for a couple of days soon, so I might get some walking (wearing heels) in then. I could go to Milton Keynes, but parking is either expensive (parking close to the shops) or a long walk (especially in adverse weather) and they shut at 5pm. I've got an early start tomorrow, so won't want an early start Sunday too. :huh: Rather looks like London has the only 'civilised' Sunday opening hours, 12-6pm. Everywhere else is 11am to 5pm.  Ho hum.

7 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I suspect the name of the perfume derives in some way from the 1950s jazz number The Lady is A Tramp, as sung by Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Shirley Bassey and others. 

I'm sure you're right about the 'Tramp' derivation - but, applied to a woman, the term surely has sleazy undertones in the US?   If so, I suppose the implied naughtiness provides the attraction - but I can't see a UK equivalent (e.g. 'Tart', 'Slut') being too popular!

7 minutes ago, Puffer said:

I'm sure you're right about the 'Tramp' derivation - but, applied to a woman, the term surely has sleazy undertones in the US?   If so, I suppose the implied naughtiness provides the attraction - but I can't see a UK equivalent (e.g. 'Tart', 'Slut') being too popular!

I did think of another, well two. But as you rightly say, 'tramp' does seem to be quite a harsh term of derision and as such, unlikely to be used as the name of a perfume range. That said, I suspect the term has been hijacked since the 1930's and the musical the song was taken from. From comments I've read, the lyrics are about irony, in that the singer is defending the "Lady's" honour. although her (wealthy but worthless peers) refer to her as a 'tramp' (street urchin).

She gets too hungry for dinner at eight
She like the theatre and never comes late
She never bothers with people she hates
That's why the lady is a tramp

Doesn't like crap games with barons or earls
Won't go to Harlem in ermine and pearls
Won't dish the dirt with the rest of the girls

She like the free fresh wind in her hair, life without care
She's broke and it's oke
Hates California, it's cold and it's damp

She gets too hungry to wait for dinner at eight
She loves the theatre, but never comes late
She'd never bother with people she'd hate

She'll have no crap games with sharpies and frogs
And she won't go to Harlem in Lincolns or Fords
And she won't dish the dirt with the rest of the broads

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair
Life without care. She's broke but it's oke
Hates California, it's so cold and so damp
That's why the lady. that's why the lady

In that scenario, the lady is no street-living pauper, but an honourable woman.

Social history anyone? 

6 hours ago, Puffer said:

It has edgy undertones, sure, but if you listen to the lyrics in the song she's more 'sporty' and individualistic than sleazy, less inclined to follow the etiquette of high society and so she is regarded (by these stuck-up snobs) as 'a Tramp'. It was originally from a musical in the 1930s, Babes in Arms. 

Edited by Shyheels

18 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I'll start walking now ... It's only 70 miles from here ... ;) :D

If the weather man has it right, best keep some blankets in the car. :( It's getting very cold up this way. 

I'm on my way, and wearing my block heel boots. Now for the test! It's below zero here but the roads seem fine.

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

It has edgy undertones, sure, but if you listen to the lyrics in the song she's more 'sporty' and individualistic than sleazy, less inclined to follow the etiquette of high society and so she is regarded (by these stuck-up snobs) as 'a Tramp'. It was originally from a musical in the 1930s, Babes in Arms. 

Indeed.   I was familiar with the song, which is well-known, but as the use of the word 'tramp' as a somewhat pejorative female label is (or was) quite widespread - think 1940s/50s 'gangster' films - I am still a little surprised that it should convey a good image for a perfume, at least in the US.   Tell an American woman that she looks (or smells) like a tramp and wait for the reaction!

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

Indeed.   I was familiar with the song, which is well-known, but as the use of the word 'tramp' as a somewhat pejorative female label is (or was) quite widespread - think 1940s/50s 'gangster' films - I am still a little surprised that it should convey a good image for a perfume, at least in the US.   Tell an American woman that she looks (or smells) like a tramp and wait for the reaction!

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

Maybe it was a pirated bottle of perfume with a misspelled label that should have read Trump.

From most women, I would have thought it most likely produced the same result? At least now he's been 'outed' as something of a misogynistic sex-pest.

2 hours ago, Tacchi Alti said:

I'm on my way, and wearing my block heel boots. Now for the test! It's below zero here but the roads seem fine.

Safe journey, and take care. B)

Edited by FastFreddy2

Misogyny - or misogynist - are much misused words these days. It means a dislike or loathing of women, or someone who dislikes or despises women. Nowadays it has been reduced to a catch-all term to describe anybody who is sexist or chauvinist.  

7 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

From most women, I would have thought it most likely produced the same result? At least now he's been 'outed' as something of a misogynistic sex-pest.

Safe journey, and take care. B)

All fine. On our way home. No comments on my boots!

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

It means a dislike or loathing of women, or someone who dislikes or despises women. Nowadays it has been reduced to a catch-all term to describe anybody who is sexist or chauvinist.  

And I think he qualifies.

No-one could be as disrespectful as he has been, and not been a misogynist, which is why I used the term.

Edited by FastFreddy2

2 hours ago, Tacchi Alti said:

All fine. On our way home. No comments on my boots!

Goodo. 

You do know you live in Britain don't you, where people are much too polite to comment on anything that might cause offence? ;)

This is especially true of people who might meet you again (but isn't exclusive to them.) Wear them in front of children (4-6 years) because they aren't aware of social etiquette and comments just fall from their lips. 

1 hour ago, FastFreddy2 said:

And I think he qualifies.

No-one could be as disrespectful as he has been, and not been a misogynist, which is why I used the term.

He’s a boor and a narcissist, he’s not a misogynist. He quite fancies women, and thinks they ought to fancy him. 

7 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

He’s a boor and a narcissist, he’s not a misogynist. He quite fancies women, and thinks they ought to fancy him. 

Well, you are entitled to your view. 

Having done the things he has done, he is no lover of women. It's like saying a rapist likes women - of course he does, in the same way a great white likes seals.

He treats women as chattels with less respect than most would show an old pair of trousers. He's an egotistic bigot, with delusion of grandeur with narcissism in every fibre of his body. Yes he 'fancies' women, I didn't suggest there was anything wrong with his ability to get sexually aroused. The difference between him and most other men, is that he believes his (assumed wealth) should have women walking naked toward him at every chance they have.

The weather won again today. Lovely sunny day, all day, but step outside ...... :o

Got on with replacing some bricks .... Actually, making good a hole (one of three) in a wall, all created when the house was built. They were access for air to be drawn into a boiler room, where a floor standing boiler used to live. These holes no longer required, for circa 9 years at least. 

Cold air and flurries of snow for two days, then a strong possibility of snow Thursday, with an even stronger chance of snow Friday with potentially blizzard conditions up from the South moving through the South East. We could be starting Spring with 4-6 inches of snow on the ground. :(