Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Music - for you?

When I was younger (several millennia ago) I used to be 'into' music.

I bought vinyl LP's and the occasional single, not least because there was no other option at the time.

Then came tapes, and I bought loads.

Then came CD's, and I bought loads.

Now, 'downloads' are thing. Music stored in a minimalist form, takes no space at all. Great!

This time around, I'm paying nothing. I've only recently discovered how easy it is to 'legally' download published work, almost entirely from You Tube. My new smart phone is largely responsible. Having a little tool that allows me to listen to music published on You Tube (and elsewhere) has rekindled my interest in listening to music. I find it very relaxing, and eases the boredom when working alone. The music 'mixes' I and Mrs Freddy favour are on my phone, on a memory stick for use in my car, and on two or three CD's for use in Mrs Freddy's car. In a short space of time, I've already collected some 20 hours of very pleasurable sounds of varying intensity. I fell asleep last night listening to a 'chill out' mix on my phone. ;) It's much less obtrusive than the buzz-saw noise that passes for herself snoring next to me. :D 

While 20 hours might not seem like much, I tend to replay the same album over and over for a month or more. That 20 hours could last me a year, but as I find more and more music, it won't need to. ;) I'm listening to a new discovery, and at the same time downloading it, while I write too. Now 21 hours of music. B)

I am very much into my music maybe even more then when I was a teenager. Like music types of music Rock, Punk. Ska, Raggae Northern Soul. and classic pop music from the 80's I can;t say Iisten to much nusic at home and don't buy many CD,s  Not got into dowmloading music. I go to see live bands most weekends and like Ska the most but from time to time like to have a change and hear something differant. Most of my friends are into music.

I've found almost anything I have ever listened to on vinyl, tape or CD, somewhere on You Tube.

The reason I use Y.T. is the associations provided when looking/listening to something I like. It's a bit like ..... "If you like this, you might also like ..... " And I think it's based on people having listened to (whatever I'm listening to) also listened to whatever Y.T. is suggesting? Bit like dropping yourself into group and you can see what everyone else liked, that liked the music you are listening to.

I've found no end of new and interesting stuff this way. And because the Y.T. music can be downloaded, it can be used. It can't be distributed, nor sold on legally, but it's there to listen to. Some nights, I've gotten completely lost in listening. I don't have your wide interest though.