Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Big adventure?

Searched a bit further afield. Found Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, on at Milton Keynes next month. £40/£50 a ticket that might be do-able. Apparently, 'back due to huge demand'. Obviously a lot of trannies and their 'admirers' in MK then? ;)

I've had a quite look on You Tube for examples of songs and singing ... Not great. And it's a bit rural up there too. ;) :D 

As a child, I was told of The Mousetrap by my father. It had at the time become, the longest continuously-run theatre play, in the West End. It's now the longest (continuously) run theatre play in the world, and in its 64th year. I still haven't seen it. :rolleyes:

I've also found a venue around 10 miles away, that has Madame Butterfly playing in Italian. For one night only, which just happens to be on Mrs Freddy's birthday. She will attend, probably as a conscientious objector, but she will go. "Don't try and tell me it's a birthday treat for me though!" ;) No pleasing some people.... :D

9 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

As a child, I was told of The Mousetrap by my father. It had at the time become, the longest continuously-run theatre play, in the West End. It's now the longest (continuously) run theatre play in the world, and in its 64th year. I still haven't seen it. :rolleyes:

I've also found a venue around 10 miles away, that has Madame Butterfly playing in Italian. For one night only, which just happens to be on Mrs Freddy's birthday. She will attend, probably as a conscientious objector, but she will go. "Don't try and tell me it's a birthday treat for me though!" ;) No pleasing some people.... :D

I too had not seen 'The Mousetrap' until a couple of years ago, when my wife asked to go as (coincidentally) her birthday treat.   Although the latter is normally marked by something modest (possibly running to a Chinese takeaway), I took the plunge and bought matinee tickets.   Frankly, we were both somewhat disappointed as we found the plot rather contrived and the performances much on a par with a reasonable am-dram troupe.   But don't let me put you off; it was an enjoyable enough afternoon experience even though the same money and time could have been better spent elsewhere.   I suspect most people go out of curiosity rather than because they have read glowing reviews (if any).

I have had the reverse situation: my wife has twice treated me to (overpriced) stage shows as a birthday 'treat', neither of which were nearly as enjoyable as watching the same acts on TV - and in one case with such a poor and distant view that binoculars were essential.   Never again. 

4 hours ago, Puffer said:

I have had the reverse situation: my wife has twice treated me to (overpriced) stage shows as a birthday 'treat', neither of which were nearly as enjoyable as watching the same acts on TV - and in one case with such a poor and distant view that binoculars were essential.   Never again. 

I would say that unless parts of the Mousetrap had been re-written, which might be intellectually impossible, it may have dated fairly badly. I'm not sure if amendments/re-writes are possible by anyone other than the original author, or without the consent of the 'estate' of the owner? It may well be, it's age and author are the main reasons for going. It would certainly be mine.

I have not had a great time at the theatre for the most part. The highlight was an early production of "Noises Off". Not to be confused with the film version of the same production, that is reputed to be a bit of a stinker, despite Mr M. Caine being part of the cast. I had gone reluctantly, but it was very enjoyable.

Miss Saigon was a surprise, in that I wasn't expecting a musical .... 

Riverdance had Mr Flatley with a night off, and this was in his younger days when he had the energy to dance ...

Wicked was good, though one of the two leads was slightly mis-cast I think.

My expectations of the Mousetrap are low, and seeing the play will put a tick against a line that might be part of a bucket-list one day. B)

Yes, The Mousetrap could well be considered 'dated', in being both written and set in an earlier era, which shows.   If one overlooks the somewhat contrived and stereotypical plot and characters (typical Christie), then it is enjoyable enough.   I doubt that it would benefit from any re-write or period update, which would likely change it into something distinctly different (and maybe better, maybe not).   I have no problems with something set in (say) the early 1950s (I was there!) and accurately reflecting that period and its people, morals etc; indeed I enjoy such nostalgia - and can (in my imagination) look forward to being in on the first stiletto era etc!   The equally dated (but great) Hitchcock film Dial M for Murder is a good example of this period and genre, and of course was originally a play; it was on TV again very recently and I must watch my recording.

I must confess that my favourite viewing is contemporary black and white films from the period, say, 1940 - 1965.   Not only the WW2 notables but also those set in Britain during the austerity and 'Never-had-it-so-good' eras - bomb sites, rationing, steam trains, whistling errand boys, rock-and-roll, beehive hair and (er) stilettos ...

The BBC did an adaptation of A.G.'s "And then there were none" over the Christmas period, which I quite enjoyed. There was one 'incident' that didn't stack up, which I won't mention in case you have yet to see it.

"Dial M for Murder" was a great film. Ray Milland was a pleasure to watch of course. My Hitchcock favourite is 'Rear Window'. 

The 40's and early 50's were possibly the best times for film, as an art form. The black and white media making everything an abstract that let the imagination be hijacked, where colour sometimes keeps the story too real. (Two reel.) Some of the British films of that period were amazing. 'The Lady Killers', 'I'm All Right Jack', 'School for Scoundrels'. Bliss.

WWII Navy/Sea films are for me heart-warming too. A reminder of the sacrifices made. (My late father served in the Navy during the war.)

I'm quite keen on documentaries featuring the calamitous British manufacturing industries. Only last night, I watched something on You Tube about the TSR2. I can't help thinking history is repeating itself with the F35. (This is my 'nerd' interest.) Well, manufacturing is at least. :D I have another defunct aircraft film lined up to watch about the Canadian AVRO Arrow. Though this looks to be as much an entertainment film as documentary. So much to watch, so little time! :D

At least one 'function' has been booked. A visit to London for a repeat concert by Ludovico Einaudi. A very reasonable £70 a ticket, with the potential for free parking if I have my wits about me. The date is late July, which means daylight until around 10.30pm. So, daylight on arrival and when leaving ... On the night, I'm likely going to have a good 800 yard -each way- walk amongst people taking in the sights, of a very popular tourist area. Maybe not wearing red patent courts then? :(

I'll have to find a Plan B, where I can be less discreet. ;)