Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Big adventure?

I reminded regular readers recently, my current count for wearing a court shoe in public, (this millennium) stands at twice. Both of these were major/expensive (for me) events, with pretty much no-holds-barred on footwear choice.

Yesterday, it was proposed 'we' (my walking pal) and I go see ENO's Madame Butterfly next year. The tickets that would give me the view I might most enjoy, are £99 each plus £5 booking fee. There are travel expenses to go on top of these costs.

While I'm sure some will (rightly) think this an operatic extravaganza of epic proportions, why wouldn't I go? Before I address costs, first let me remind you of a previous encounter with this production...  Likely 20 years ago, I went with the same woman to a mega production at the Albert Hall, subsidised by our employer. Transport was arranged, the journey, easy and timely. What spoiled it, was .... The Young Naval Lieutenant, was played on the night, by an Afro-American. The opera is set toward the late 19th Century, a little over 30 years since the abolition of slavery in America. A black Lieutenant in the US Navy at the turn of the century? Worse, the central female figure, who is supposed to be a teenager when she meets the Lieutenant, was played by someone in her forties. It was frankly, farcical. Those two key elements aside, it was a great night with great performances, but the farcical player/singer selection meant the event was spoiled.

In the legendary words of Harry Callahan; "Are you feeling lucky? Well, are ya?" Me and that beech Lady Luck seem to have parted ways many many years ago, so the answer is an emphatic; "No." But I would still like to go. I'd also like to wear some courts somewhere so special, I wouldn't give a fig if anyone noticed my footwear.... Could anything go wrong, would anything go wrong? I have history ....

Then there's the £100 tickets .... I could buy cheaper, but ..... Plus the gig is 6 months away. :blink:  A lot can happen in 6 months....

Edited by FastFreddy2

While drinking a cup of hot chocolate in Costa, the other side of a 40 mile car journey with 15 miles of it cutting through West London during rush hour to buy some red courts, I rang the ENO to check on the performance. 

The person in the Booking Office was almost offended when I asked what language the opera was to be performed in. Sensing my surprise at the answer, his reply went something like; "We are the English National Opera..." The concept of a night watching Madam Butterfly at the Coliseum, all but died at that very moment... :(

Desperate for some compromise, I visited their web site tonight, and listened to a short example of the singing. Might as well have been in Italian for clarity of the lyrics, English or otherwise. Jury is back out. :rolleyes:  :D

That's bizarre. Perhaps you got some temp on the line. There are some very dense counter staff/telephone help around these days. I tried booking a ride from the airport (Heathrow) the other day and told the woman on the phone that I would be flying in on KLM.

She said she never heard of that airline. Was emphatic on the point. Asked me to check my ticket again as she was certain there must be some mistake as she knew ALL of the airlines and had never heard of that one. When I insisted that ut existed she groused that it must be one of the brand new discount charter lines

i pointed out that KLM was the world's oldest airline, and a major one at that. She wouldn't have it and declined the booking as she didn't want one if her drivers wasting time tryng to find a flight on an airline that didn't exist. Told me to call back once I worked out what my airline really was...  

Edited by Shyheels

8 hours ago, Shyheels said:

i pointed out that KLM was the world's oldest airline, and a major one at that. She wouldn't have it and declined the booking as she didn't want one if her drivers wasting time tryng to find a flight on an airline that didn't exist. Told me to call back once I worked out what my airline really was...  

KLM? Never heard of them. ;) :P :D

Been a while since I've seen a reference to the airline. I honestly couldn't remember whether they were German or Dutch. I certainly didn't know they were the Royal Dutch Airline. Perhaps you should send her (by mail or email) a small set of information about the airline by way of educating/enlightening her? I would see it as an act of charity;)    

I use a different service now. I am flying Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines this week - no brand name recognition troubles there!

Home again tomorrow!

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I use a different service now. I am flying Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines this week - no brand name recognition troubles there!

Home again tomorrow!

You are the sort of person BA should have/would like as a passenger. The fact you don't fly with them, speaks volumes.... ;)

Actually, I am a platinum member of the One World alliance which includes BA, Qantas, Emirates and Cathay Pacific among others. That said, BA is my least favourite of that group...

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

That said, BA is my least favourite of that group...

I rest my case .... ;)

Their reputation has been earned over many many years. I flew with them once to Paris, was okay though. A puddle hop really, so no time for anyone to get frustrated about anything. B)

I had a really nasty experience with one of their stewards coming back from Budapest last year. The guy was really aggressive. All I did was ask what the alternate sandwich was, a simple query, politely asked. I am always polite to cabin crew. But clearky he was in no mood fir any oassenger interaction whatsoever. He went off his nut and threw a sandwich at me, literally. It was astonishing. Other passengers gawped open mouthed. In well over two million miles of flying all over the world I never encountered anything like it, before or since. 

So my enthusiasm for BA has cooled considerably. The other members of the alliance - Qantas, Emirates and Cathay, are wonderful.

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

You bet.

Got the standard form letter - we're sorry you were disappointed in the service you received; we try hard to make everyone happy; we look forward to seeing you again in our flights real soon... Etc.

i have avoided flying with them since then, but was obliged to fly them to Nairobi not long ago. In general I try to fly one of the other partner airlines whose attitudes and service really is exemplary

A 'standard letter' tells us everything. Why is there a 'standard letter'?

While I might not be considered an 'expert' in customer service, I've spent at least 10 years (and possibly longer) dealing directly with people who have either spent money with me, or with the people employing me. I have experienced one or two impossible to resolve situations, but mostly making a customer happy hasn't led to anyone having to sell their soul either. Losing a bad reputation, is a lot harder than keeping a good one, so I would say it's best to resolve than ignore. A 'standard letter' suggests, BA prefers "ignore".

Even if it were a lie (and it shouldn't be) the response should have been; "We have investigated your comments and have decided the employee described would benefit from further training, and this has been arranged for them. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, we are grateful for the feedback. When next in a BA facility, please use the enclosed voucher to enjoy lunch or a drink/snack by way of a thank you, on us. We aim to ensure you enjoy being a BA customer. Best regards ..... "

With ticket prices ranging from hundreds to thousands of pounds, a £15/£20 voucher, and an individually composed letter would have resolved at least two things (though it should resolve three.) Their good name stays good. A customer who experienced poor service, has had their problem addressed. (Though I realise you can't undo a bad experience.) The third issue of course is the errant steward, who is possibly costing BA more in lost sales, than he is getting paid? And it's not like good air stewards are hard to find either. 

For my part, 'good service' in recent years mostly centred around faulty goods (as manufactured) being received by my customers. As time went on, I developed better techniques for testing equipment before it was shipped. No-one else in the industry tested equipment at all, so I got to be a little ahead of the game. I also shipped very quickly. Even now, my auction site feedback is littered with "fast" and "well packed" comments.

In a previous existence where there was a more 'service' aspect, I managed to change the spec of supplied equipment from £300 down to £30, and (through loaning electronic test equipment) managed to completely remove the Achilles heel of a software driven bit of telecoms kit. So reliable was the finished product, I was recently asked to resolve an issue with a company almost 14 years after I had first installed it, with no interim maintenance involved. Perhaps I should mention my involvement with the system ended some 8/9 years ago. Some of the reason I left it, was continually getting into an arguments about call-out fees to remedy customer FUBAR's. One memorable one, was while at the customers retail site on Boxing Day.... This after being assured I would get paid whatever the outcome of my visit. (Their electrical supply - which had not been protected by spike prevention devices - had cooked the system transformer, so it wasn't fixable on the day.)

I was taken for a walk around BA HQ circa 1999, while it was empty. (A friend ran the maintenance team.) Lovely place .... ;) They probably think that while the money is coming in, why worry about customer satisfaction?

Edited by FastFreddy2
  • Like 1

I had a look at going again to see Ludovico Einaudi as he is touring this year. Nope. Not only are tickets for all the UK appearances "sold out" (some standing tickets available at the rear of the stalls or circle at £35), but some of the better tickets are being offered at £300!! 

My tastes are so limited, I've no idea what to do by way of an adventure ..... Any ideas? 

7 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Not sure I'd be the best person to ask ... Or to listen to!

You're creative aren't you? :P :D

I suppose what I'm looking for, is an informal slightly "upmarket" gig of some sort.  An ideal night out would be the black tie do at this years BAFTA's, but even if I was a member, I think tickets are in the four figure range. Black tie and red patent stiletto courts. Would anyone notice with all that glitterarti about? ;)

"I have a dream" .... :D

How about the musical Kinky Boots? It is supposed to be excellent. You could pretty well wear what you like and be simply playing along. 

8 hours ago, Shyheels said:

How about the musical Kinky Boots? It is supposed to be excellent. You could pretty well wear what you like and be simply playing along. 

It's actually fairly mediocre.  Don't believe the hype!  And the theatre is a poky flea-pit.

Disappointment all round when I attended it.

4 hours ago, euchrid said:

It's actually fairly mediocre.  Don't believe the hype!  And the theatre is a poky flea-pit.

Disappointment all round when I attended it.

Thanks for the 'heads up', sounds like just the place I want to avoid. B)

My walking friend came up with Cirque Du Soleil: AMALUNA at the Royal Albert Hall. Spent 90 minutes trying to book suitable (expensive) seats, eventually giving up as 'paired' seating does not seem to be available any longer. I even went as far forward as October, and an Al Murray gig. Same thing, only a few 'single' tickets left. 

I trawled through the Barbican listings until June/July when they dried up. Nothing of interest there.

I'll give the O2 a try later, but it looks like the English Opera or stay home. :(

The going wouldn't be an issue, the venue is fairly intimate. It's getting tickets for the 'right' night. I think going to a matinee might be easier, but I'm not so feeble (yet) I need to do all my energetic stuff during daylight hours. ;)

Ordering tickets is a bit of a lottery anyway, the way it is set up on the vendors site. Instead of showing available seats, there is a listing of (say) 10 or 15 seat prices to choose from. If I remember, the 'show' is in the place that is usually described as the Arena (for ticket sales). There are some seating clusters around the stage area, but they looked a bit too close. I opted for Premium Stalls, as to be on or slightly above the stage height. While tickets are circa £95/£105, these were not the most expensive, nor the least expensive .... When I tried to purchase 2 tickets, the response was "we don't have that many - try again". 

I used to shop at Kensington High Street in my younger days. Parking my car back then, was I can tell you, a much more pleasant experience with no fear of rip-off charges/tickets or towing. (Yes, that long ago.) It means I am vaguely familiar with the area and how to get there. Having mentioned the ease of travelling back then, I should also mention tube and train fares were significantly cheaper too. I have in mind £6-50 -ish? :huh:

Weird that you can't get two tickets unless you literally were trying to book the very last seats and there was but ine left. Pity, as the Cirque du Soleil is fantastic. I have gone to only one of their shows but was blown away by the theatricality, storytelling  and the seemingly impossible acrobatics.

my big adventure for the day will be on the ferry between north and south islands of New Zealand. The wind is up and it looks to be a very bouncy ride...

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

Weird that you can't get two tickets unless you literally were trying to book the very last seats and there was but ine left.

The Al Murray gig is 9/10 months away, and I can see (because they have each seat available marked to choose) there are only the odd single seats scattered around. If the venue can sell-out that far ahead, neither of us should be surprised I can't buy a pair of the better placed seats, with only 6 weeks notice.... ;)

Enjoy your trip on the ferry. The only way to travel on a ship is in heavy seas. B) You will doubtless know this, but the best way to avoid sea-sickness; sit in the middle of the ship to avoid the worst of the pitch and roll, and stare at a wall or picture with no motion anywhere in your line of sight. ;)

Some years ago I played (only the once) a networked "shoot-em-up" game while doing product support at a computer company. It involved a lot of side-to-side movement looking for 'the enemy'. After about 10 or 15 minutes of play, I had to go outside for some air. I had gone green with motion sickness. :(  Weird, and unpleasant.   

Edited by FastFreddy2

How frustrating - things booked out so far in advance. Can you postpone your adventure a ew months, start scouting upcoming gigs further out, and nab seats for then?

I am seldom bothered by seasickness, fortunately. I say seldom because nobody is immune - highly experienced sailors and yachtsmen can get it right out of the blue. 

The last time I suffered from it was about fifteen years ago on a research ship in very heavy seas off Cape Horn. I was on the bow with some seabird researchers and was unwise enough to borrow a pair of binoculars and scan the heaving waves, trying to follow a petrel. The effect was instantaneous. 

7 hours ago, Shyheels said:

How frustrating - things booked out so far in advance. Can you postpone your adventure a few months, start scouting upcoming gigs further out, and nab seats for then?

Booking for further out than October? Jeez, I may not be here then .... Although, obviously, I hope to be. ;)

If I don't find something during the next week, I may have to have another look at the ENO production ... :rolleyes: 

I had mentioned the red patent courts to my walking companion. I got a sideways glance, and what I can only describe as a 'dismissive' look. I say "look", but I really mean a turn of the head in a style normally associated with "I don't believe what I'm hearing" action:mellow:

Had a look at the 2017 National Television Awards (Jan 25 2017) held at the O2 Arena.

Tickets released, 4 days ago, for the gig that is a whole year in the future.

£599+fees ... 5 Star Experience ..... Sold Out.

£80+fees .... Red Carpet Experience (seat includes time standing in the open watching celebs arrive) .... Sold Out.

There are some experienced buyers out there, obviously. (Touts - by any other name.)

Also had a quick browse at Il Divo in May this year ......

56a4420e6620b_IlDivoticketfees.jpg.cf54e

What "service" am I getting at £23-50 for two electronic tickets, I have to print myself?

Not only spiv's to content with, but bandits too! 

Edited by FastFreddy2