Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

'Wet look' or shiny leggings?

Confidence is the key with anything, along with wearing something well.

With my PVC jeans, as I say, I always pair them with something softer and colourful. Nothing remotely suggesting fetish. And I mainly wear them informally around my office.

The suggestions about left/right zips are interesting.   I was tempted to agree with Freddy that it was something to do with nasty continental Europe - who, after all, persist in driving on the wrong side of the road - or possibly related to the carrying of swords or somesuch.   But it seems as though the historic reason is more prosaic: most men are right handed and therefore, when dressing themselves, find having zips (and buttons) on the right much easier to manipulate.   Conversely, women - at least those from the wealthier parts of pre-Corbyn society - were more likely to dress with the aid of a maid, who of course would herself be facing the mistress and would therefore find the latter's left-hand fastenings became her convenient right-handers.

I suppose that, logically, zip-sided boots should have both zips on either the right (men) or left (women and Freddy :unsure:) - but I'm glad they don't as that would upset my preference for visual symmetry.   (Seeing a woman in a dress or blouse with one shoulder bared requires me to lie down in a darkened room :angry: - and I find wearing a man's jacket with only one breast pocket distinctly discomforting.)  

Must go now ... time for my medication. :o 

Edited by Puffer

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

I was tempted to agree with Freddy that it was something to do with nasty continental Europe - who, after all, persist in driving on the wrong side of the road

Just for clarity, I hadn't excluded the UK when I wrote my original comment. I was thinking Europe as opposed to the Americas or one of the other places Western clothing wouldn't usually been seen. I do wonder why those on mainland Europe drive on the wrong side of the road. Are they closet pagans?

But it seems as though the historic reason is more prosaic: most men are right handed and therefore, when dressing themselves, find having zips (and buttons) on the right much easier to manipulate. Conversely, women - at least those from the wealthier parts of pre-Corbyn society - were more likely to dress with the aid of a maid, who of course would herself be facing the mistress and would therefore find the latter's left-hand fastenings became her convenient right-handers.

I wasn't too far off then. B)

I suppose that, logically, zip-sided boots should have both zips on either the right (men) or left (women and Freddy :unsure:) - but I'm glad they don't as that would upset my preference for visual symmetry.   (Seeing a woman in a dress or blouse with one shoulder bared requires me to lie down in a darkened room :angry: - and I find wearing a man's jacket with only one breast pocket distinctly discomforting.)  

I'm the same. Asymmetric hemlines, and single sleeve/single shoulder dresses or tops, brings me out in a rash. 

Perhaps we should form a 'symmetry' group to promote 'equality of appearance'.   Amongst other things, it would do away with the fly-front, although the zip mechanism would still have to engage on one side or the other.   As, physiologically, humans have two of everything visible at the sides and one of everything up the middle, we would merely be carrying-out what nature had intended by banning one-shoulder garments and the like.   Consideration ought to be given to humane disposal of one-legged men and others similarly unbalanced.   (It's strange but true that the average man has something like 1.9999 legs but the typical man has 2.0000; a good illustration of loose usage of statistical terms such as 'average'.) 

As to driving on the right in the remains of the primitive world, it seems that this developed when one practical requirement usurped another.   Originally, riding/driving on the left was the norm as this enabled effective use of a sword against oncoming foes, and at the same time facilitated mounting and riding with least danger or discomfort to riders or pedestrians.   But then (to quote): 'In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver’s seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.'   Given the influence of Napolean across Europe and elsewhere and the desire of the Yanks to distinguish themselves from their British oppressors, it is hardly surprising that driving on the right gradually became the norm outside the UK and its major colonies - including much of Canada until post-WW2.   Gibraltar is a notable exception, keeping right in harmony with Spain - a rule I must remember when I'm walking around there next Saturday - despite the 'British' bobbies, telephone boxes etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Puffer said:

As to driving on the right in the remains of the primitive world, it seems that this developed when one practical requirement usurped another.   Originally, riding/driving on the left was the norm as this enabled effective use of a sword against oncoming foes, and at the same time facilitated mounting and riding with least danger or discomfort to riders or pedestrians.   But then (to quote): 'In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver’s seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.'   Given the influence of Napolean across Europe and elsewhere and the desire of the Yanks to distinguish themselves from their British oppressors, it is hardly surprising that driving on the right gradually became the norm outside the UK and its major colonies - including much of Canada until post-WW2.   Gibraltar is a notable exception, keeping right in harmony with Spain - a rule I must remember when I'm walking around there next Saturday - despite the 'British' bobbies, telephone boxes etc.

As a friend often says (usually after making a mistake) ..... "Everyday is a school day" (Learning day.)

Interesting read, thank you. 

Not sure about disposing of asymmetric people though. Few have perfectly identical sides of their body, as photo's taken with mirrors held perpendicular to the nose often reveal. (Gives asymmetrical image, but right-side and left-side don't match.) Plus, if there was any 'medical cleansing' going on, I can think of a far better criteria than a shortage of limbs or any other non-self inflicted causes. ;)

Edited by FastFreddy2
Missing close quote.

Yes, interesting bit of history.

I must say - and pun intended - this PVC thread certainly has legs... :)

2 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

As a friend often says (usually after making a mistake ..... "Everyday is a school day" (Learning day.)

Indeed so.   I don't feel satisfied at bedtime unless I can look back over the day and say that I have (a) learned something at least moderately useful or interesting; and (b) made (or fixed) something. 

2 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

... Few have perfectly identical sides of their body, as photo's taken with mirrors held perpendicular to the nose often reveal. ...;)

Oh no!   I shall have to dispose of my mirrors now, before I inadvertently catch sight of a reflection I don't like.   And I must start looking for a car with a centrally-positioned steering wheel - which I can drive down the middle of the road (as most people do on the motorway).

6 hours ago, Puffer said:

And I must start looking for a car with a centrally-positioned steering wheel - which I can drive down the middle of the road (as most people do on the motorway).

There's no need to do down that road ... (boom boom). :D

10 hours ago, Shyheels said:

She certainly fills them out.

Not a look that appeals to me

I shudder when I look at her; nothing appealing at all.   Asymmetric top, tattoo, flat shoes, pout, sticky red lips ...

The pout and the sticky lips and the oversized shades are hideous - almost a caricature. As you say the asymmetric top and tattoo do her few favours either. Nothing appealing there at all.

5 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

The pout and the sticky lips and the oversized shades are hideous - almost a caricature. As you say the asymmetric top and tattoo do her few favours either. Nothing appealing there at all.

Indeed, and potentially a trigger for racism, alas.

46 minutes ago, Puffer said:

Indeed, and potentially a trigger for racism, alas.

True. Sad, but true.

I just don't 'get' the style of celebrities today - not that I had ever heard of this lady before, and still don't have a clue why she is famous or celebrated. Mostly they just appear trashy.

Something a little more sophisticated then?  (Read 'demure'.)

42025CE300000578-4663258-image-m-51_1499

4202517100000578-4663258-image-m-55_1499

From >> here << (Not worth looking to be honest, this is it.)

Much more sophisticated!

Wearing PVC needn't be tarty...

Edited by Shyheels

Wam day for wearing them today, but my Topshop PVCs have become my go-to workwear these days. After never daring even to contemplate wearing such attire for so many years, I think I like the idea of it being my workwear nearly as much as the wearing of it! 

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Wam day for wearing them today, but my Topshop PVCs have become my go-to workwear these days. After never daring even to contemplate wearing such attire for so many years, I think I like the idea of it being my workwear nearly as much as the wearing of it! 

What is 'the plan' for when you wear them out? ;) 

22 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

What is 'the plan' for when you wear them out? ;) 

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

They are pretty much office wear....:)

Perhaps Freddy means 'wear them out' in the sense of 'wear them to destruction'?   I think we should be told ... :(

Lif is full of ambiguities, such as the golfer who stated that, just an hour after he put on his new golfing shoes, he got a hole in one.

In that event, I actually did pick up a spare pair - I really like them a lot and figured that when they are gone, they'll be gone. I am not hard on my clothes and these are quite well made so I expect I shall be able to wear PVC jeans in my office for as long as I like.

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

Perhaps Freddy means 'wear them out' in the sense of 'wear them to destruction'?   I think we should be told ... :(

How could the query mean anything else without further qualifiers? <_<

48 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

In that event, I actually did pick up a spare pair - I really like them a lot and figured that when they are gone, they'll be gone. I am not hard on my clothes and these are quite well made so I expect I shall be able to wear PVC jeans in my office for as long as I like.

Does anyone who sees you wearing them, think it's a bit odd that your "usual" office attire includes PVC trousers? Because, it is odd, isn't it? 

I don't mean "odd" as in unsavoury either. I mean eccentric, which many people would say is the very essence of Britishness: 'eccentric behaviour'. A trait which personally, I love about being British. Most of us who can think for ourselves, are often "away with the fairies". (And just for clarity, that would be the bottom-of-the-garden variety of fairy.) Almost bohemian, but without the poverty or artistic struggle. :D 

I wear them because I can. And while that may seem eccentric - and I know you meant that in the best sense - and I couldn't care less about this little eccentricity. It is a belated pushback against years of conformity, a badge, if you will, of my inner bohemian. A bit adolescent, really, this sort of badged rebellion, but at this late date I guess I am making up for lost time. 

It's bit tricky too, to set the right tone as I don't want to confuse this boho raffishness with fetish - because that's not it at all. I wear my otk suede boots for much the same reason - because I like, and have always liked, the look and now that I feel free to adopt it, I do.

I don't mix these things, as that would look awful. But I try to wear one or the other every day, for the sheer uninhibited pleasure of it.