Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

'Wet look' or shiny leggings?

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

Are you saying that your iPad defaults to that erroneous usage and cannot be altered, or manually corrected?   (I don't own an iPad, so am unfamiliar with it.)

Exactly. I have all that crap turned off and since the last upgrade it continually does whatever it damn well pleases. I have just had an annoying battle with it over the word “gold”which it insists be capitalised. Even writing it just now I had to correct it four times to get it to stay in lower case. It alters words arbitrarily, and unless you go back over everything and edit it all, these things creep in. 

8 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

There hasn't been a grammar checker designed, that won't allow unique/new additions. "Users" understanding how it is done, not so common.

As to correcting (joke or otherwise), I very much doubt there could be an adverb "trashily", because I fink trash is a noun. And.... anyway .... "dress (or act) trashy" is a colloquial term and as such, grammar checkers don't apply. :P

'Trash' is a noun; 'trashy' the adjective derived therefrom; 'trashily' likewise the adverb (= in a trashy manner).   So, one can wear clothes that are trash, and therefore look trashy, and the wearer therefore dresses trashily.   'Trashily' (adverb) most certainly exists in UK English; it is the American trend to use adjectives as adverbs that gives the impression that adverbs are either non-existent or at best redundant.   Colloquial maybe, but not in our manor.

Yes, sometimes a distinct adverbial form does not exist and the adjectival form is used, perhaps a little awkwardly, e.g. 'daily,' 'fast'.   But do you doubt, for example, the existence of 'speed/speedy/speedily' or 'care/careful/carefully'?

I can see a detention (or 100 lines) in the offing ...

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

Yes, sometimes a distinct adverbial form does not exist and the adjectival form is used, perhaps a little awkwardly, e.g. 'daily,' 'fast'.   But do you doubt, for example, the existence of 'speed/speedy/speedily' or 'care/careful/carefully'?

I can see a detention (or 100 lines) in the offing ...

I think you are on dodgily ground with "speedy". ;) :D

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Exactly. I have all that crap turned off and since the last upgrade it continually does whatever it damn well pleases. I have just had an annoying battle with it over the word “gold”which it insists be capitalised. Even writing it just now I had to correct it four times to get it to stay in lower case. It alters words arbitrarily, and unless you go back over everything and edit it all, these things creep in. 

"The answer is out there...."

59e875a860360_iPaddictionaryhelp.thumb.jpg.d2b6df2960cc1fcba03be0c873c9dfaf.jpg

I would spend the 79p on an app' keyboard. ;)

The thing is I pay extra for Apple because I like, in general, the quality of their stuff. Their predictive text was always obnoxious, as is all predictive text, but it has only become really bad since the most recent upgrade. I am hoping, expecting, that others besides myself will have brought this to their attention and some sort of patch will fix this soon.

And I seldom pay anything for software, but 79p is a price worth paying in these circumstances ... That or resetting the whole dictionary would be.

My phone has been nagging me to upgrade (yeah right) for almost 4 months. When I get around to remembering, the 'nag' message is going to be switched off. If I'm happy with the version I'm using, I don't need "upgrading"  ....  :rolleyes:

I'm looking to hear about an operating system, that at time of launch, is good enough for the authors to declare that "it's as good as it will ever get". Not, this is a the advanced beta version we're launching, and user feedback will help us (debug it) to make it usable.... :rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, Puffer said:

Why?   Mr Gonzales would certainly approve.   See for example:   http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/speedy

Anyone fool enough to use the phrase "speedy computer" to me, would be getting the the response' "Yeah? Where are the wheels?" :rolleyes:

I'm familiar with the term 'speedy recovery', but I personally feel 'quick recovery' is a more accurate wish of good will.  Even fast recovery seems more apt. I guess I've been programmed to associate speed with motion. 

Of course it works as a preposition, as Mr Gonzales rightly suggests;) :D

3 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

And I seldom pay anything for software, but 79p is a price worth paying in these circumstances ... That or resetting the whole dictionary would be.

My phone has been nagging me to upgrade (yeah right) for almost 4 months. When I get around to remembering, the 'nag' message is going to be switched off. If I'm happy with the version I'm using, I don't need "upgrading"  ....  :rolleyes:

I'm looking to hear about an operating system, that at time of launch, is good enough for the authors to declare that "it's as good as it will ever get". Not, this is a the advanced beta version we're launching, and user feedback will help us (debug it) to make it usable.... :rolleyes:

I can appreciate the reluctance to upgrade especially when the so called advancements don’t really offer anything you want, but I always upgrade anyway for security reasons as it is usually best - safest - to keep up with the latest versions of everything.

In terms of this thread, my autocorrect is usually happy with “PVC”!

10 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Anyone fool enough to use the phrase "speedy computer" to me, would be getting the the response' "Yeah? Where are the wheels?" :rolleyes:

I'm familiar with the term 'speedy recovery', but I personally feel 'quick recovery' is a more accurate wish of good will.  Even fast recovery seems more apt. I guess I've been programmed to associate speed with motion. 

Of course it works as a preposition, as Mr Gonzales rightly suggests;) :D

Something described as 'speedy' has the properties of being effected promptly or within a short period of time, not necessarily at a fast pace.   I would tend to agree that a 'speedy computer' is a peculiar beast, although the processor in it could well be described as speedy, indeed extremely so.   (By the way, you will find the computer's wheels inside it, driving the fan or the disc drive.)

So, the concept of a speedy recovery is one that is effective within a short period, regardless of the rate of recovery.   ('I hope you will get better as soon as possible.')  Not quite the same as a quick, fast, swift or rapid recovery, all of which imply something that takes place during a short period of time but does not necessarily start immediately, or at least promptly.   Subtle distinctions, but valid ones.   Some good illustrations here:   http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/speedy

Please enlighten me as to use of 'speedy' as a preposition (by Mr Gonzales or otherwise)?   A preposition indicates a relationship in time or place; 'speed' however describes a rate of change of place with time.

Reference to 'recovery' reminds me of the very common announcement on radio's traffic news, e.g.'The accident at Junction 5 is now being recovered ...'   No, it is not!   It is the hardware involved in the accident (damaged vehicles, debris) that is being recovered (or at least removed from the road).   Colloquial, yes; logical, no.

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

Please enlighten me as to use of 'speedy' as a preposition (by Mr Gonzales or otherwise)?   A preposition indicates a relationship in time or place; 'speed' however describes a rate of change of place with time.

Happy to:

Preposition.jpg.6cc3e66e91e2c3dceb6df7e27a19458b.jpg

From >> here <<

11 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Happy to:

Preposition.jpg.6cc3e66e91e2c3dceb6df7e27a19458b.jpg

From >> here <<

You are surely not suggesting either that (a) 'speedy' is in any event a preposition; or (b) because the 'Gonzales' in 'Speedy Gonzales'  is a (proper) noun, the word preceding it must be (per your quoted 'authority' above) a preposition?

If there is some other logical explanation for what you are suggesting, please let me have it; I am completely flummoxed so far.

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

You are surely not suggesting either that (a) 'speedy' is in any event a preposition; or (b) because the 'Gonzales' in 'Speedy Gonzales'  is a (proper) noun, the word preceding it must be (per your quoted 'authority' above) a preposition?

Yep.

Gonzales is his name, "Speedy" isn't his Christian name.

Sadly, I can't remember the term where I thought I might get away with using an adjective as a preposition. :rolleyes: and 'speedy' certainly isn't on the 150 term (full) list. :o Ho-hum!

Edited by FastFreddy2

On 15/10/2017 at 7:02 AM, Shyheels said:

In terms of children - girls, mainly - made up to look like sexually active adults - agreed, it's repulsive. But again it's down to the parents to take a firm grip and not let celebrities, and marketers raise their children and give them their values.  Sure, pop culture is pervasive, but that can be overcome with thought, care and guidance.    

Cindy Crawford's daughter..... 16 years old, barely more than a child:

I wonder how long before someone coins the phrase; "Lolita Crawford"?  

4587AD3100000578-5003051-Model_pose_Kaia

Her look reminiscent of an early Sean Young:

kuss-vor-dem-tode-der-sean-young-18-rcm0

More recognisable (to some) as Rachael ...

009-sean-young-theredlist.jpg

45886F7100000578-5003051-image-a-16_1508

Even if her mother/parents protect her enough so she isn't abused, as a role model (no pun) she is inadvertently teaching her followers (of which there will be millions) that dressing/acting like an adult at 16 is the way to "get ahead" or get a media career. Given how much child and actress abuse has been in the media over recent years, you might be forgiven for thinking someone/somewhere, might have learned a lesson and decided "Lolita" figures were too much of a temptation for a lot of men, and certainly too much for some individuals in a position to take advantage of that opportunity. While in past weeks that might be a film producer, before him it was a well known comedian and TV personality. Before him ....

Edited by FastFreddy2

Amelia Gray .... Daughter of Lisa Rinna (Days Of Our Lives and The Real Wives of Beverly Hills) and Harry Hamlin (L.A. Law and Mad Men) at a Tommy Hilfiger bash. Headlined as "aspiring model" and "genetically blessed" by mother.... 

45823DFC00000578-0-image-a-25_1508470553

I didn't even realise she is 16 until I read some of the blurb under the picture .... It's not even a subtle look!

A lot of girls in my daughters’ classes at school (mid teens) dress and look very much like the two teenagers you mention. Again, it’s down to the parents. As for those instances above where the girls are accompanying their parents to what are undoubtedly celebrity functions, I can sort of see the logic and the appeal, to the teenagers themselves, in dressing up for the occasion. Sort of. I don't Know the circumstances of these particular events and so I wouldn’t presume to judge too harshly. And at any rate at least they are not dressed as provocatively as some of the tarty celebrity female singers (or whatever) one sees prancing about.

32 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

And at any rate at least they are not dressed as provocatively as some of the tarty celebrity female singers (or whatever) one sees prancing about.

We've all been teenagers, and it's a time for pushing boundaries (to find out how far they can be pushed).... 

If they had the choice, I'm sure many 14/15 year olds would dress like "hookers", (celebrity female singers) announcing to the world their desirability to the hormonal boys chasing them. It's part of growing up, feeling your way out of a close family environment and making your own way into the world. Until now, a mistake (going too far, getting too deeply into an undesirable situation) was a mistake made by one person. These girls are media leaders in their field. Commerce (advertisers) and retailers will suck them into their money-making world, knowing that a picture at a Hilfiger bash, produces advertising so great as to be unaffordable otherwise. There is no magazine I'm aware of, that has the world-wide circulation of the Mail OnLine, nor the Instagram/Twitter/Facebook following these girls have.

Today, 100's of thousands of young girls will be buying make up and clothes (heels) to replicate the younger Miss Crawfords look. Much later today, hundreds of them will find themselves in unpleasant situations they were not expecting. Young girls being brought into the spotlight isn't new. Young girls emulating older women isn't new. But the worldwide promotion of it, is new.  I'm too old to be affected (hopefully), but the outlook for the younger generation isn't good. And I'm sure it will lead to more and more abuse. 

As a man, I'm too well aware that an attractive girl walking in my line of sight in provocative clothing (inappropriate short skirt, thigh high boots with heels, large amount of breast visible) is going to grab my attention. To some men, that look would be seen as an invitation. (Which is exactly what it is in some inner city streets after dark.)  I'm disappointed our culture encourages this "look". I have no answer or solution to the adage 'sex sells' as plainly it does. But I don't agree with it being pushed toward the young, who are (often willingly) exploited by commerce. <_<

Edited by FastFreddy2

I agree. It is disappointing that our culture cultivates and encourages this sort of look and that so many parents tolerate it, or concede to the greater marketing forces. I am also deeply pleased that my own daughters have not bought into it in the slightest. They have no interest in that sort of thing and have found groups of friends among like minded kids.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Yep.

Gonzales is his name, "Speedy" isn't his Christian name.

Sadly, I can't remember the term where I thought I might get away with using an adjective as a preposition. :rolleyes: and 'speedy' certainly isn't on the 150 term (full) list. :o Ho-hum!

I think you need a better textbook on logic.   One that doesn't also suggest, for example, that (a) All policemen have big feet; (b) I have big feet, so I must be a policeman.

Evening all!

For what it is worth, “Speedy” appears to be the little mouse’s first name. He has no other. 

Hi cousin is named Slowpoke 

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

For what it is worth, “Speedy” appears to be the little mouse’s first name. He has no other. 

Hi cousin is named Slowpoke 

Unless further confusion has entered the arena, the discussions have been relating to the Pat Boone song 'Speedy Gonzales', rather than any subsequent cartoon characters.   Predictably (and sadly), the song is now regarded as a racist slur - no further comment needed. 

Funnily enough the cartoon was itself out of circulation for several on the grounds of its being a racial stereotyping - it was recalled by popular demand by people in Mexico and Central America where it had been extremely popular!

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

Unless further confusion has entered the arena, the discussions have been relating to the Pat Boone song 'Speedy Gonzales', rather than any subsequent cartoon characters.   Predictably (and sadly), the song is now regarded as a racist slur - no further comment needed. 

I was referring to the mouse, which predates the song by some years.