Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

'Wet look' or shiny leggings?

6 minutes ago, Puffer said:

I accept that 'Strictly' is essentially entertainment for the masses.   Its largely Z-list contestants, quirky costumes and scenarios and often dubious dance routines and out-of-tempo music do not allow it to represent any ballroom or latin dancing consistently and accurately.   For those reasons, I find much of it irritating.   I respect Len Goodman's knowledge and skill as a ballroom dancer and competent judge; he did his best, usually fairly if justifiably firmly, to maintain 'strict' dance standards on the show - as I believe Shirley will be fully capable of doing too (but we shall see...).   My problem with Len was his increasingly big-headed attitude and smarmy behaviour - a view shared by every one of the several people I know who are Strictly adherents.   He retired not before time.

Totally agree. I have watched it on and off living in a house where it is popular and he was certainly a very competent judge who tried to keep things honest - but his role a glitzy media profile certainly went to his head. He pretty much defined 'smarmy' by the end...

9 hours ago, Puffer said:

My problem with Len was his increasingly big-headed attitude and smarmy behaviour - a view shared by every one of the several people I know who are Strictly adherents.   He retired not before time.

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

He pretty much defined 'smarmy' by the end...

The three gentlemen judges, were part of a pantomime that made the show a success. Each had a role, each plays/played their part dutifully. I would prefer to watch Len for 6 hours than Bruno Tonioli for 5 minutes. He has become a caricature of himself.

I have to disagree about Bruno.   Yes, his over-the-top exuberance could be a trifle wearing but I for one liked his impish sense of good humour and his ability to speak English (not of course his first language) in a better and more articulate manner than many reputedly well-educated native English speakers.   If I was hosting a dinner party and could invite anyone I chose, I would certainly like to include him.

Edited by Puffer
typo

4 hours ago, Puffer said:

I have to disagree about Bruno.

I'm okay with that. B) 

If he wasn't "hugely" :rolleyes: popular, (if he wasn't popular) I'm sure he'd be off the programme. I find his standing and arm swaying, too much like pantomime for my taste. He's quite tolerable as long as he stays seated. 

He does over do it, no question about it, and it can get wearing but at the same time, he is also a very perceptive judge and when he is not playing up to the cameras - as I imagine he has been told to do - he gives some of the best advice and guidance of any of the judges. And he is always fair. As Puffer says, he speaks marvellous English - one of five languages he speaks fluently, I understand - and I bet would indeed be a brilliant guest at a dinner party.

Well, we seem to have a consensus about Bruno:  exuberant (but often OTT), good-humoured, perceptive, fair, wise, articulate.   Apart (perhaps!) from the first quality, all qualities that a good judge (of any discipline) should have.

Thinking of pantomime, Craig seems determined to play the boo-hiss villain - again, I suspect 'direction'.   In real life (e.g. on TV in his interesting family history exposure a few months ago), he is a much more mellow and considerate person, although I can scarcely approve of his rent-boy background. 

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

Thinking of pantomime, Craig seems determined to play the boo-hiss villain - again, I suspect 'direction'.   In real life (e.g. on TV in his interesting family history exposure a few months ago), he is a much more mellow and considerate person, although I can scarcely approve of his rent-boy background. 

Craig seems the most sincere of all the judges. I like him, although his judging does seem harsh at times. He's probably mindful of how much the participants are being paid, and (sometimes) how little effort they appear to put in for the money.

As to the seemingly sour comment about his background, I would offer two "ism's" about that .... Firstly; Walk a mile in my shoes..... I very much doubt that when asked about his career intentions at school, being part of an underground sex-industry came up. The other ... But for the grace of God go I .... The character who provided the drugs for one of my near misses with Mr Reaper, once had us both hitch-hiking into the West End, at quite a young age. I might well have been 17 or 18 at the time, (I suspect younger since I wasn't driving at the time) and we managed to get to Piccadilly Circus. No-one we knew, had been told where we were going. I may well have told my parents I was out for the night, with no other details provided. Going to London hadn't in any way been planned. 

While there we met some 'interesting' people... After some time watching and participating with others, in the early hours we realised we had no way of getting home. One of the people we had talked to, offered us a place to stay, which we were compelled to accept. A long taxi ride later, we arrived at his semi-derelict flat, and we were (eventually) offered an unmade mattress on a floor. Before that time, it was made obvious to me, if I wanted to do more, I could. (At the time, I would have had the build and stature of a 14 year old.) The situation wasn't progressed, and my mate not so attractive any attempt was made to seduce him, so it was easy to refuse. That said, if there had been other men invited, the outcome may not have been so uneventful. We woke early, and excusing ourselves, left for a train station and our journey home.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. My parents were never told of the night in London, nor were many others. I'm aware things could have turned very nasty, and I count myself lucky they didn't. This is especially true as I read about child abuse that is so rife. It would seem the odds were stacked against any child that went to a faith school, didn't live with their parents, were coached for football when young, or had anything to do with celebrities. More recently, if a young girl and lived in an inner city in Northern climes. I don't know people ever want to join the sex industry, but it's there looking for people to 'suck in', and it has a pretty voracious appetite. Thanks largely to middle-aged men with money, power/influence. From my very very very limited experience, it's easy for me to understand both how ordinary it may be to fall foul of these 'encounters' with people (men) looking for them, and possibly how often they attempt to make them happen. In an environment where encounters are made every day, possibly multiple times a day, I can see how likely it is a young person might succumb.

Edited by FastFreddy2

If you think that my disapproval of Craig's younger lifestyle was a 'sour' comment, then so be it.   My understanding is that his family and other circumstances did not compel him to adopt a form of prostitution as a means of survival.   Maybe he got into bad company and was initially seduced - but his apparent willingness to continue that lifestyle speaks for itself.

As to your teenage experience (or lack of it), I'm glad to know that it did not turn out badly for you.   I was travelling into and around London by myself on public transport when I was only 9 or 10 - and my parents certainly didn't always know my intended (and often quite complex) itinerary.   I had no problems during my travels, although I admit that they did not involve the less salubrious parts of the West End, at least after teatime - but they did include much of those areas of West, North and East London where mean streets and meaner inhabitants existed, and where I saw some interesting sights.   All good practice for my ensuing years at grammar school in West London, which involved a half-hour train journey each way and additional trips on school business.   I was in the Cubs up to the time that I started school, but it was only some years later that I learned that the Akela I had 'served under' at the age of 7 - 8 had been a paedo, with at least two of my chums his victims.   That explained his sudden departure, which at the time I welcomed as he and I had never got on, which is doubtless why I had avoided his attentions, plus the fact that I was tall and scarcely a pretty boy.

Sorry - we are straying somewhat from shiny leggings.   Neither Cub's nor school uniform is quite in the same league, although I understand that it holds appeal for some.

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

Maybe he got into bad company and was initially seduced - but his apparent willingness to continue that lifestyle speaks for itself.

No men in my (past) social circles, would have refused the opportunity to be paid to have sex with older women. In fact for myself, that's still true. 

To criticise his lifestyle, seems an uncalled for thing to do - especially given his hard work getting to be as successful as his is. A bit like berating a reformed drug-taker for their past. People who have overcome their short-comings, (if indeed they were short comings to start with) should be celebrated I would have thought.

I like him. He seems to be the most genuine person on the panel. And as my previously posted video shows, he's also a man who likes to wear a heel. ;)

Ah, back on track again. I was expecting a photo soon. Very stylish. I must say the soles on those sneakers are rather cumbersome, but overall a very tasteful look.

3 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Proper shiny, one of the Baldwins...

4447B70100000578-4885256-image-a-6_15054

That really works well with the jumper. A nice counterpoint.

9 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

The lovely Alesha Dixon .... "Local" girl .... Who usually turns out a little more demurely than this.

444858C200000578-4886076-Alesha_also_put

Very nice except for the bikini top. With PVSs and shiny leggings, less is more should be the rule. Accent and counterpoint, a hint of naughty leavened by a good dose of nice. 

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Very nice except for the bikini top. With PVSs and shiny leggings, less is more should be the rule. Accent and counterpoint, a hint of naughty leavened by a good dose of nice. 

Sorry, but there is nothing about that outfit that I like.   She is quite a pretty girl but lets herself down as soon as she opens her mouth - or puts on clothes like these.

Now that is very nice! Well paired with the top and looking stylish.

Edited by Shyheels