Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

'Wet look' or shiny leggings?

Very true. Self-improvement wasn't a conscious omission from the list. Of course I don't have much material to work with these days .... As far as the 'engine' aspect is concerned, I have only ever once found myself struggling on two wheels, and that was during a fairly fast paced cross-country ride of some 30+ miles whilst amongst more experienced/fitter riders. I didn't get left behind, though hearty encouragement from the group leader did help to keep me at the same pace as the others.

That was a good 18/19 years ago now, but it's still only punctures and/or poor weather that get the better of me, rather than lack of stamina or enthusiasm. I suppose I should 'practice' regularly, and then join a cycling club really .... Were I ever tempted to race, (I wouldn't), at least now I qualify for the "Veteran" class .... :wacko: :D  

Interesting thread this - oscillating back and forth from cycling to PVCs and back again. Maybe there's a connection. Maybe not. At any rate I shall start a cycling thread...

1 minute ago, Shyheels said:

Interesting thread this - oscillating back and forth from cycling to PVCs and back again. Maybe there's a connection. Maybe not. At any rate I shall start a cycling thread...

Tight Lycra shorts, anyone?

3 hours ago, Puffer said:

Tight Lycra shorts, anyone?

They are useful. They keep your valuables from being sat on .... And keep padding in the right place. ;)

When I find my long M+S leggings, I'll do some piccies and post them here, AND the new cycling thread.

I have found cycling bib tights - made of Gore windstopper fabric - quite useful in winter. They don't do much for me style wise, but they are good at warmth and breathability!

Was shopping in one of the Miss Selfridge franchises, Westfield White City tonight (there are three) looking for an item for Mrs Freddy. (Oddly.)

Spied these:

599cb5be9a48e_MissSelfridgestirrupleggings.thumb.jpg.8674a3c7bc8ef5206b652f43e0bf0616.jpg

Very shiny, £20. Might be slightly sparkly, as well as shiny, but definitely shiny.

Not seen stirrups worn like this before in the real world, and I've been seeing them (and wearing them) on ski-pants for more than 30 years .... :huh: 

599cb6ca350e6_MissSelfridgestirrupleggings2.thumb.jpg.6bad818204de7b0b0e84fc513c5e45b4.jpg

I could see a practical use for the stirrup to help keep a court shoe on when used like this, but really:rolleyes:

You find those on bicycle bib tights - or at least I had them on my Gore windstopper ones. Not quite sure why you would need them here.

They do look shiny. 

I assume they were not what was on Mrs Freddy's shopping list?

9 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Not seen stirrups worn like this before in the real world, and I've been seeing them (and wearing them) on ski-pants for more than 30 years .... :huh: 

599cb6ca350e6_MissSelfridgestirrupleggings2.thumb.jpg.6bad818204de7b0b0e84fc513c5e45b4.jpg

I could see a practical use for the stirrup to help keep a court shoe on when used like this, but really:rolleyes:

I don't care for the leggings, or anything else with 'stirrups', although I can see their purpose.   But to wear them thus makes a complete mockery of the shoes, especially as they are slingbacks.   :lol::(:o    Nearly as bad as the pic I saw recently of a woman wearing denim shorts over ripped jeans - yuk!

8 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I assume they were not what was on Mrs Freddy's shopping list?

They were not, and in fact she wasn't with me so she hasn't seen them. She too would have worn ski-pants of a similar design "back in the day", which I think would have been early 80's. In fact I know for sure I have a picture of me in heels and ski-pants somewhere .... (Circa '84/'85.)

Just to confirm, they were slightly stretchy and had tapered legs, providing a very flattering shape. They were not anything like skiing over-trousers often worn by people skiing. 

They looked something like this .....

599d5ef146021_80sskipant.jpeg.47f673c0e99fab0399c268101d59f68b.jpeg

The original style were fitted to the waist, and had slightly looser hip fitting than leggings would have these days. "Camel-Toe" wasn't popular or seemly back then. Of course anything goes these days, including women walking around in leggings so transparent, their underwear is clearly visible.

We Europeans called them ski-pants because of the stirrup - obviously. In the US, they knew/know them as stirrup pants - apparently.

Edited by FastFreddy2

I did a lot of skiing in my youth - I mean a lot - but I never saw anybody wearing anything that slinky in the slopes. I'd have remembered!

Similar photo added elsewhere, and this image completes the set.

Not shiny, but there is a slight sheen. Added because of the shoes really. ;)

59a137e14838f_Cycling-withcourts.jpg.07b9f5c4245bc34f9802021fb68f1c22.jpg

Office "Hampton" with 130mm heel. :wub:

12 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Similar photo added elsewhere, and this image completes the set.

Not shiny, but there is a slight sheen. Added because of the shoes really. ;)

Office "Hampton" with 130mm heel. :wub:

Nice shoes, Freddy.   And you look far from being a 'Hampton' in them.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Puffer said:

Nice shoes, Freddy.  

They are, thank you.

Can't believe I found a new pair that hadn't been languishing on a sales rack for July and August. About time I experienced a bit of 'luck', though I did put some effort into getting lucky;)

8 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I've always found that the harder I work, the luckier I get!

A well known 'management' adage.

samuelgoldwyn1.jpg

In this instance, it was 'luck' the shoes had not been out on a sales rack. Me acquiring them, was the product of several sets of circumstances that could and would never be repeated. The essence of these circumstances, was the result of bad luck for others. The last bit was me getting my arse into gear, and buying them. A close call since I couldn't get anyone to pick up the phone from the store on the day, and wasn't sure I should make the journey in case they hadn't been kept. It was the opportunity to do something nice for Mrs Freddy, that was the deciding factor in travelling to make a purchase.

As it turned out, we both got the items we had hoped to.

In fact, it was almost worth the trip to see the look of shock on the sales assistants faces when they found out the price I was buying them for. "Priceless". :D 

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

...and for everything else there's MasterCard 

Judging by the (current) personal debt of the UK populace, it would seem to be the case! >> Not good. <<

8 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Judging by the (current) personal debt of the UK populace, it would seem to be the case! >> Not good. <<

Indeed not.   But not as bad as getting a loan from the likes of Provident Financial, run by the aptly-named Peter Crook, whose antics caused a huge drop in the share price a few days ago.

Be it the commercial side or retail (for us consumers), loans (usury) are the life-blood of banks. They use customers money which they pay nothing for (a quarter of 1 percent) to make loans to people who borrow, simply because they can. (They've been trained to spend what they want when they want.) This isn't new of course. 40 years ago, I was shocked to find my girlfriend had a 'maxed out' credit card, with a debt not too far off 6 months salary. Conclusion: she wasn't marriage material.

9/10 years ago, I met a couple (chavs) both with debts of over £10k each. They married, and honeymooned in Mexico on their new credit cards. Bonkers.

Banks need us in debt; loans/mortgage/overdraft to function. It's in their interest for us to be as deep in debt as they can get us, to maximise the profits from these debts. The people who borrow, are using expensive money, since every pound spent, carries with it 'interest' on the money to be returned. Bonkers.

This fine until those with large debts, can't pay. Then the 'house of cards' falls down and often puts those with moderate debt (say mortgages) into a situation where they can't pay either, as higher interest rates (caused by bad debt) pushes employers and entrepreneurs into liquidation.

From what I've been reading, car loans (hire financing) is the new 'loan' industry with banks and finance houses. The market is larger, and is attractive to the young with 'disposable' income while they live at home with their parents. Again, expensive money, on a poor (fast depreciating) investment. "Sucker" investment? Again okay, provided the income keeps rolling in. Good for the wealth of the individual? Nope. Good for the economy? Nope. Only really any good for banks.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Yup, it's a mug's game and no mistake, but a huge number of people play and play and play, skilfully and cynically manipulated into doing so by the powers-that-be who treat them like the sheep they are, made to be shorn

And to return to the theme of the thread, many of these airhead borrowers no doubt wear PVCs out clubbing, blindly influenced by pictures of celebrities in glossy magazines. 

Original thought is rare these days.

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

And to return to the theme of the thread, many of these airhead borrowers no doubt wear PVCs out clubbing, blindly influenced by pictures of celebrities in glossy magazines. 

Original thought is rare these days.

There is no doubt in mind, that is the case. Although 40 years ago, it was exactly that kind of 'mimic' lifestyle, that got my girlfriend (and a million+ more like her) spending with a credit card to give them an exotic lifestyle.

Why don't I own a pair of the very desirable H. of C.B. PVC trousers? Money. Other than suit trousers, I don't possess anything I would put on my legs that cost that sort of money. If/when I own a pair, (and I hope to) it'll be because I have the money for them. (Or someone is generous around my birthday.) There are no circumstances I would borrow money unless in doing so, meant I saved money. For example, if buying something on a card when I didn't have cash, meant I still saved money on the deal even with the potential of interest payments. I have to say, I've yet to experience that set of circumstances. Usually - if not always -  I treat my c/c as a charge card and it's only ever used for online purchases anyway. Other than that, if I don't have the money to hand, I don't buy. Conversely, I've known many people who have lived off their c/c or overdraft. Nuts.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Yes, I scrupulously avoid all of that kind of thing. The only time I have ever found myself with maxed-out credit cards was a few years ago when a magazine - a major international household name magazine, I might add - left me dangling for months with thousands on my credit card, all charges racked up on overseas assignments and for which I should have been immediately reimbursed. In the old days of this very same magazine I would have been immediately reimbursed - they used to be the gold standard, people you would trust absolutely on a handshake or spoken agreement, but the decent old gentlemen who ran it for decades retired, or were shoved out by the aggressive young suits that took over and I ended up getting hung up with maxed out cards for several months waiting for my money. I got it in the end, but I'd not trust them as far as I could spit now...

Sad. As I say they used to be the gold standard...    

Edited by Shyheels

Sadly, a situation that is becoming more and more typical. I have experience of (but not been the driver of) situations where suppliers were starved of cash in the hope/expectation their business would fail and the debt lost. A blue chip FTSE 100 company I might add.

As an individual, I was involved in a business, selling installed equipment to other businesses. Other businesses that dealt with cash sales on a day-to-day basis. Twice we accepted cheques, both times the cheques were stopped. When I got involved, it became C.O. Installation. We still had people try it on.... Working in Sheffield, I had to stay there over night minding the gear I had spent the day installing, as at 11pm I was offered a cheque. I got cash -in full- at 9.30am the next day.

Another engineer who worked for me, rang and told me the owner at another installation was AWOL and no cash had been left. I instructed him to remove a bit required to make the system function, and not to answer any calls from the customer until he'd heard from me. With him waiting a half mile away for my call, I discussed the matter with the absent shop owner. We got the cash, which mysteriously became available - although the shop owner was still absent. I've a half dozen of these stories. On a personal level, I never return to any customer who gave me grief over money. Catch me once .... It wasn't a pleasant world, and it seemed everyone was old to scam everyone else. I'm well rid, though it was good to me while I had the stomach for it.