Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

'Wet look' or shiny leggings?

The jury is still out on the 650b wheel size swap, though it does seem a good compromise over 26"/29" MTB options. You road fellas might have been on to a good thing.  ;)

Bringing the subject matter back on thread, I have somewhere, at least one pair semi-shiny (ladies) leggings from Marks and Spencer, that I bought in a sale some 3 or 4 years ago. They are what I would describe as an 'exotic' fit (snug in all the right places), and bought specifically for use while riding a bicycle in cooler weather. They have something of a neoprene texture to them, but light enough for wearing during exercise. A couple of years ago, "scuba" skirts and leggings were something of a fashion 'rage'. Not actual diving quality material, but thicker than the regular faux leather materials that allowed knickers to be worn underneath without declaring the wearer had then on (unlike other faux leggings). Meaning; no VPL while "scuba" skirts or leggings were being worn. 

I wonder where they are? :rolleyes:  

Edited by FastFreddy2

It would make for an interesting look, that's for sure,  but I have a feeling you would get horribly hot, horribly quickly. I am not a Lycra wearer on my bicycle, but I gave noticed the superficial similarity of the fit of my Topshop PVC jeans to cycle wear. As I say, it would make for an interesting effect, but utterly unbreathable. I hate to think how sweaty one would become in just a couple of miles.

I don't own any shiny neoprene-like leggings or faux leather skinny jeans, just my PVC jeans so I can't make other comparisons, but I am guessing those materials would be equally warming. I have seen some pairs that look nice, but I have not sprung for any...

Funnily, although I like my PVC jeans a lot, I would not wear Lycra. I did try Lycra cycling shorts once, but they just weren't me. I could see the advantages, in cycling, and I did use for a while some Gore winter cycling tights which were excellent. But they were insulated and only for winter.

Edited by Shyheels

I think I own a couple of pairs of lycra cycling shorts (if that's the right term), in a womens style since they fitted my do-dah better than mens styles. I like them because of the padding - and lack of chaffing. I usually wear a pair of baggy mens MTB shorts over those (also with padding) that allow me to carry the puncture repair kit, and collapsible pump.

For winter, I have a high waisted "bib tight" that at 10-15mph on a frosty night, I've made good use of.   

I think the secret to staying warm and not sweaty in cool/cold temperatures, is wicking and ventilation. My wet-weather top (wherever that is) has zips under the arm pits to allow excess moisture out through netting. I'm pretty sure I've never used it, though I have had to use my water-proof trousers. Muddy puddles are something of a problem in cooler weather, and British Summers, if our current one is anything to go by. :rolleyes:

Wicking and ventilation is indeed key. I have spent a lot of money over the years on "breathable" jackets ever since I bought the first generation Goretex back in the 70s. I gave the latest generation now. Still, the secret to its "breathability" are its pit zips which I keep unzipped as a matter of routine.

I find I do not really miss padding on my cycling shorts - I use unpadded ones and have gone on some extremely long and arduous treks this way with no problem. And by long I am talking thousands of miles.

Lycra does breathe - I will give it that. I just dislike the form hugging quality of it. My PVC jeans are skinny in style, but not Lycra tight.

13 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I find I do not really miss padding on my cycling shorts - I use unpadded ones and have gone on some extremely long and arduous treks this way with no problem. And by long I am talking thousands of miles.

Perhaps 18 years ago when I was out on my bike (offroad) 3 or 4 times a week, the "extras" I grew between my butt-cheeks meant I didn't need padding, but I've a little history with my prostrate, so I try to take care of it.

I'm minded that a good family friend, Paulo Garbini, who had a cycle shop in Great Pulteney Street in Soho (where the markers of his presence remain ... )

598ae4eb5ac9b_PauloGarbinisshopsigns.jpg.a81a041ea7d6e8d1868b51efc3dd206e.jpg

had a lot of trouble with his prostrate thanks to years of hard cycle riding. I haven't seen or heard from him since the shop closed, and not been in touch with his daughter Marilina since around 2000 either.  All three were guests at my wedding and it's to my regret I haven't managed to keep in touch.

598aea0f86342_PauloGarbiniandhiswifeMarcella.thumb.jpg.feef221e63b99fb640f0a449d62e0096.jpg

His wife, nothing short of an angel.

13 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Lycra does breathe - I will give it that. I just dislike the form hugging quality of it. My PVC jeans are skinny in style, but not Lycra tight.

Conversely, as I've said many times, I like snug.

The cooler weather has me back in leggings full time, with no excess sweat. Another short summer. :rolleyes: 

She certainly does "snug" very well...

She does it with some style and class too. I quite like the overall look, which sort of surprises me

Edited by Shyheels

19 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Perhaps 18 years ago when I was out on my bike (offroad) 3 or 4 times a week, the "extras" I grew between my butt-cheeks meant I didn't need padding, but I've a little history with my prostrate, so I try to take care of it.

I'm minded that a good family friend, Paulo Garbini, who had a cycle shop in Great Pulteney Street in Soho (where the markers of his presence remain ... )

598ae4eb5ac9b_PauloGarbinisshopsigns.jpg.a81a041ea7d6e8d1868b51efc3dd206e.jpg

had a lot of trouble with his prostrate thanks to years of hard cycle riding. I haven't seen or heard from him since the shop closed, and not been in touch with his daughter Marilina since around 2000 either.  All three were guests at my wedding and it's to my regret I haven't managed to keep in touch.

598aea0f86342_PauloGarbiniandhiswifeMarcella.thumb.jpg.feef221e63b99fb640f0a449d62e0096.jpg

His wife, nothing short of an angel.

Conversely, as I've said many times, I like snug.

The cooler weather has me back in leggings full time, with no excess sweat. Another short summer. :rolleyes: 

I am looking forward to resuming my PVC jeans as my office wear, once the cooler temps of September arrive. Now on holiday. They are not the sort of thing for hiking in the mountains! Much more urban.

Looking forward to resuming boots too

On the other hand I am not looking forward to having to resume the use of headlamps on my bike and the return of cold dark morning rides...

Edited by Shyheels

On 07/08/2017 at 0:06 PM, FastFreddy2 said:

A fat 26" wheel (as delivered) has the same diameter as a less fat 27.5"/650b, so again, something of a non-issue with the rear wheel. I have a second bike here with just such a back wheel, so when my schedule (and nursing duties) allow, I intend to trial fit the 27.5" wheel to the 26" bike. MTB's aren't built with the same tyre clearances as a road bike, and mine has disc brakes so are unaffected by wheel diameter. The later model of my bike comes with 27.5" wheels and and a different fork.

big_0cac9e18-586b-44b8-8489-97275465a179

This is the current version-ish of my (current) bike. Mine has a rear air shock - which I plan to replicate with an air shock at the front end too.

This version has 27.5"/650b wheels. I measured the rear swing arm length 'in store' the other day, and it appears to be the same length as the one on mine, which bodes well in upgrading to a slightly larger rim. That said, the fat wheels shown on this picture, does look like the rear one might touch the seat tube with the rear shock at full compression .... :huh: 

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

It does indeed look as though it might do that every thing. 

Before I commit my bike to the larger wheels, I'll be checking clearance by deflating the air shock. :huh:

The picture of the B'twin bike might be an optical dillusion. The tyres on the bike in the shop didn't look so 'oversize' and I don't think Decathlon would sell a bike with the rear tyre likely to scuff or rub part of the frame. Maybe the tyres on the retail version are a tad smaller.... 

I have to say I wonder why you are wanting to make this change. Even if it is possible, it may not be wise. The bike's handling will be middling at best, and if you have to use lower volume tyres to fit the 650Bs, you are pretty much negating whatever benefits you are hoping to find. 

And remember, even if the tyres appear to fit and spin alright on the workshop stand, that is no guarantee they will do so on the road!

I'm assuming that Freddy (at least) would really aspire to shiny black narrow tyres on his penny farthing?

Meanwhile (back on course), how about this look:   

latex.jpg.15fe6562c1dbfb10d2a78d6698af29d5.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I have to say I wonder why you are wanting to make this change. Even if it is possible, it may not be wise. The bike's handling will be middling at best, and if you have to use lower volume tyres to fit the 650Bs, you are pretty much negating whatever benefits you are hoping to find. 

I embraced technological change. B) Especially when after tine, it proves to be an improvement.

The current version of my bike has the larger wheels, why wouldn't I want to own the latest version without 'latest version' expense?

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

And remember, even if the tyres appear to fit and spin alright on the workshop stand, that is no guarantee they will do so on the road!

I'll not be doing anything of a permanent nature, until the upgrade is known to work. It's simple enough. Swap wheel off one bike onto another, let pressure out of air shock, sit on bike and bottom out wheel travel. As to handling, heavier revolving mass should make for better stability. (Centrifugal force.)

As before, nothing decided yet.

She looks like she's going to the gym!

surely that is latex, not PVC?

All that said, she looks quite nice - in part because she looks like a pleasant person, and also because she looks relaxed comfortable and at ease in what she is wearing. Not straining for effect. That makes a huge difference.

Edited by Shyheels

3 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I embraced technological change. B) Especially when after tine, it proves to be an improvement.

The current version of my bike has the larger wheels, why wouldn't I want to own the latest version without 'latest version' expense?

I'll not be doing anything of a permanent nature, until the upgrade is known to work. It's simple enough. Swap wheel off one bike onto another, let pressure out of air shock, sit on bike and bottom out wheel travel. As to handling, heavier revolving mass should make for better stability. (Centrifugal force.)

As before, nothing decided yet.

The handling - it won't really work that way. And the fact that the latest model of your bike has 650B tyres does not indicate that it is an improvement, merely that the manufacturer is acknowledging the fashionability of 650B tyres these days. To be sure, the 650B is a good (touring) tyre, but it is also a fashion, these days.

10 hours ago, Shyheels said:

The handling - it won't really work that way. And the fact that the latest model of your bike has 650B tyres does not indicate that it is an improvement,

The geometric difference will be negligible. In fact fatter 26" tyres and rims, can produce the same 'rolling radius', but brings with it, unwanted mass. (Rolling resistance.) The larger wheel size does the same thing to a lesser degree, provided I use 'regular' sized tyres, which I will being doing. The increased resistance is there, but somewhat mitigated over a fat 26" wheel/tyre combination.

Whether 27.5" is an improvement sits with the rider, not the bike. I don't do any 'clever' woodland stuff any longer, as it produces punctures. I'm more of a 'trek-racer', or off-road trekking racer. A slightly larger wheel will help with stability, and my gearing. This notion I have to increase the wheel size, isn't a five-minute-idle-fantasy. I've put a not unreasonable amount of work into investigating whether it is in fact worthwhile. At the moment, I'm still (effectively) sitting on the fence, but am determined to land on the 27.5" side of the fence. I like my bike, but it's a bit front heavy. Changing the front fork for an air model makes sense. If I want the benefits of the larger front wheel (stability), I may as well buy a fork suitable for a larger wheel - providing the rear wheel can also be changed. I may well know by the end of today. :) I have a wheel and tyre combination here I can trial fit my full-suspension bike. Mrs Freddy is still not fit enough for adventures, so I am at home all day today.

More news as it arrives..... :D

4335894600000578-4786112-image-m-40_1502

4335B67F00000578-4786112-image-m-42_1502

But for the (slightly weird) choker, I might not have bothered. The link below automatically brings up a video with her being interviewed on a TV show, again wearing a choker, so maybe she has a thing for them. (As I do.)

Full article >> here << 

She certain wears her PVC well. The leggings/tights suit her, especially with the softer top, although I can't say as much for the choker. That kind of bondage wear doesn't do anything for me at all, and appearance wise it does her no favours either. As you say she may have a thing for them. Otherwise she looks quite classy - more so than her colleagues, I'd say.

At the risk of sounding totally ignorant, as I am when it comes to celebrities, who is she? And why would she be interviewed on TV?

Edited by Shyheels

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

At the risk of sounding totally ignorant, as I am when it comes to celebrities, who is she? And why would she be interviewed on TV?

I'm not overly sure. She's been in the media enough for me to think she's done a reality show, and may have done Strictly. But her claim to fame is that she's known. Well, amongst the Instagrammers I suppose. She's a Social Media-ite?? Probably does Twitter?

As to the choker, I can see why you might think it's "bondage" inspired. That said, every 'bandage' dress I've ever seen, scuba skirt/leggings, strappy top/bikini etc etc etc. also has some 'bondage' connection it would seem. Punks would say a choker/dog collar was just a fashion statement, like tight trousers, winklepicker shoes, and makeup in general.

59908115e9ff2_ChokerbyZanaBayne.thumb.jpg.16057fbd6770af6f9665dd606add61dd.jpg

That's one expensive throat accessory. :huh:

Sold by a world famous retail group, not usually known for it's taste in bondage gear;) :D

Edited by FastFreddy2

It astounds me how these people can come out of nowhere, with no discernible talents or gifts other than dressing flashily, looking glam and manage to make fancy money doing it, with nothing else to recommend them. Very often, by the measure of this thread, they wear PVCs or faux leather tights.

Somehow I think if I showed up anywhere in my Topshop PVC jeans nobody would come running to hear my opinions on anything! :) 

The choker is a new twist, at least to me. I know that the bondage look seems to be far more mainstream today so it doesn't surprise me that high street fashion houses would sell them - at fancy prices. I guess the glam young things need ways of spending the dosh that people throw at them...

I've always had a thing for them. They ought to be useful/practical for older women, as they hide the turkey-neck we older folk sometimes acquire. I'm growing one ..... :( Perhaps why they were popular in Victorian times across all ages? (Of women.)

A thick/heavy choker was this years accessory. For a while, Kendall Jenner was seldom seen without one.

Some images from a Natalie Chapman (choker designer) article that includes celebs wearing her products:

3451DFD900000578-3596013-Star_power_Zend

3451E1AD00000578-3596013-Blonde_on_black

3451CDE700000578-3596013-Aspirational_fa

Full article >> here <<

And to bring the thread right back on track, a picture of the designer (note leggings). B)

3451E21100000578-3596013-Business_minded

• Like 1