Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

'Wet look' or shiny leggings?

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

All in all PVC seems infinitely preferable to being tarred and feathered (well, maybe not actually feathered)

You mean, like Furries?

Hopefully not. Let's stick to shiny;) :P :D

Edited by FastFreddy2
  • Like 1

Absolutely.

No need for any of that. Just a nice pair of PVC jeans paired with something to cut the hardness and overtones. 

Edited by Shyheels

12 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I don't think anyone for one second thought you were serious about bitumen for a leg covering, or the removal technique. ;)

However, suggesting to men they "read the instructions" probably fell on deaf ears .... ;) :D 

Eh?   Sorry - can you repeat that.  :huh:

The spoken part :)

The bit that landed on the deaf ears

Edited by Shyheels

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

The bit that landed on the deaf ears

When you've been around people who are hard of hearing as much as I have.... Having to repeat stuff is an every conversation occurrence. So I fall for the "What?" thing every time.

Yesterday afternoon I spent 5 hours talking to a small family group with an average age of around 71/72. Fortunately the group was given an area fairly quiet, and away from the main social activity, otherwise there'd have been a lot of lip reading going on.... 

Often in the course of my work I find myself lecturing to groups in the 75-to-death age bracket and it can be challenging. Half of them are insisting I speak up - although I am already speaking quite loudly, if not shouting - while the other half are rolling their eyes and saying: "You don't have  to shout, you know!"

"You can please some of the people, all of the time ..... "

My take on this is there's a tranche of people in any group, who won't be pleased no matter what. 

5 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

"You can please some of the people, all of the time ..... "

My take on this is there's a tranche of people in any group, who won't be pleased no matter what. 

So, you've met my wife??   (In case you're unsure - she was the woman without a man who looks just like me.)

I think I finally saw some of the Topshop PVC trousers.

On a rail I found a pair of these:

593a4632ab740_Topshopvinyl1.thumb.jpg.3004b1c241c7939934c6b7688aa05f2b.jpg

And a pair of these:

593a4634d34b7_Topshopvinyl2.thumb.jpg.fc0b2784ba20c30ef221c4827635df45.jpg

And a pair of these:

593a48de259b2_Topshopvinylleggings.thumb.jpg.3a4149867cefc82f0e175fcd911c7468.jpg

That's one more style than I was aware of. All three styles seemed to be made of the same material, and "vinyl" (PVC) would be an accurate description.

All three pairs were super shiny. Proper purve shiny. And as previously suggested, with very little stretch. These are very much not the same item as the £60 House.of.C.B. version which seemed to me to be incredibly stretchy, and much more to my liking. I would wear something of this style to a club, rather than at home. It would form something of an androgynous look I might choose to portray on a special occasion on a 'theme' night somewhere. Unfortunately, it might be the H.O.C.B. version might be too small for me. I'm tempted to try though .... I wonder if I could buy a pair from a retailer, rather than order them by post - that might involve some convoluted returns procedure. We'll see.  ;)

Edited by FastFreddy2

The ones I have, and like very much, are the second pair - the MOTO black vinyl Jamie jeans. Lovely thick and slightly stretchy fabric and very nicely made. Worth the fairly high price.

I have seen the other pair on a rack, but much preferred the Jamie jeans.

Edited by Shyheels

All of the three pairs shown and found on a rack, were smaller sizes. Sizes 6 and 8 were all I found, not that there was much to choose from, I think 5 or 6 pairs in total. The ones i saw looked like they could have been end of line leftovers/residual stock.

If you ever get the chance, had a feel of the H.of.C.B. version. B) 

Edited by FastFreddy2

The black vinyl Jamie jeans have been hugely popular - and are largely credited with 'bringing back' PVC into the fashion world.  They still have a fair few sizes and lengths available on line, but they do seem to be going quickly. I might pick up a second pair while I can... I'll regret it if I don't! 

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I might pick up a second pair while I can...  I'll regret it if I don't! 

If you get the chance, you might consider looking at, or trying the other brand.

That said, if I would struggle with their largest size and you are MUCH taller than me ... :huh:

9 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

If you get the chance, you might consider looking at, or trying the other brand.

That said, if I would struggle with their largest size and you are MUCH taller than me ... :huh:

I'd look at the others, but what I especially like about the Jamie jeans is their comfortable jeans quality - just regular jeans that happen to be in shiny black PVC. And they really fit and wear like nice skinny jeans, too. They feel actually quite normal to wear. I really like them. Pleasingly boho.

Edited by Shyheels

24 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I'd look at the others, but what I especially like about the Jamie jeans is their comfortable jeans quality - just regular jeans that happen to be in shiny black PVC. And they really fit and wear like nice skinny jeans, too. They feel actually quite normal to wear. I really like them. Pleasingly boho.

Purv.  ;) :P :D

Maybe I'll bump into at a Torture Garden gig? You'll be instantly recognisable, wearing the only cardigan in the place. ;) 

Ha ha ha

No chance. Not my kind of thing at all. I like a touch of daring, a bit of boho raffishness but nothing more than that. I'm not being judgemental; it just doesn't flip any switches with me. 

But you're quite right about the jumper. I often wear a long loose jumper with my PVCs and a pair of bright converse sneakers - as I say, boho casual. Indeed that was my office wear today. 

Edited by Shyheels

10 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Do you not find that having the fly-front reversed is (a) a peculiar sensation; (b) potentially embarrassing, if noticed by others?    I can't help thinking that a rather large man in shiny PVC draws attention to himself anyway, without inviting any further inspection of the nether regions?   (Perhaps adding a pair of shiny crotch-high boots with 6" heels would tone down the look sufficiently to minimise detection.)

The fly front isn't reversed in my jeans.

I am tall, not large. Indeed my legs are quite slender. 

And I tone down the PVC - it is noticeable, obviously, but nothing 'in your face'

But frankly, even if the fly on ones  jeans was reversed, why would any wholesome person be transfixed, staring at one's crotch? If that is your experience it sounds to me like you might want to start hanging around with a better grade of people.

Edited by Shyheels

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

The fly front isn't reversed in my jeans.

I am tall, not large. Indeed my legs are quite slender. 

And I tone down the PVC - it is noticeable, obviously, but nothing 'in your face'

But frankly, even if the fly on ones  jeans was reversed, why would any wholesome person be transfixed, staring at one's crotch? If that is your experience it sounds to me like you might want to start hanging around with a better grade of people.

I am tall too, and of average build with fairly slim legs.   In that sense I am 'large' rather than 'small' and well aware that I stand out somewhat in a crowd, as you must do.   That makes me cautious about what I wear and I doubt that I could risk shiny PVC trousers - I admire your balls (in the abstract sense of course!).   And, speaking of which, I did not say (or think) that any onlooker would be 'transfixed' by any part of your appearance or anatomy, merely that shiny and arguably feminine trousers are not exactly discreet.

I had assumed a 'reversed fly' because of what is shown in the pic; interesting that it is not.   I have no experience of wearing women's trousers with a reversed fly but it does seem fairly obvious, hence my query about reaction from others.    It is, I suppose, much the same situation as I experienced when I first went out in (men's) cuban heeled boots - expecting everyone I passed not only to notice them but also to think that I was of doubtful sexuality.   I soon realised otherwise but retain an element of caution and discretion.

No offence intended and I hope none taken! 

I have been wearing women's jeans for over 40 years. Never made a secret of it. They fit (significantly) better, on me at least, and certainly look better. The latest style I wear with flat shoes are amongst the very few pairs I've ever owned with a left-hand zipper. I have no idea why the zipper is 'handed', nor do I understand the historic reason for the same thing with shirts/blouses. Maybe to slow-down the dressing of women and make the undressing (by men) a tad easier. People are generally right-handed, and 80/90 years ago left-handed children were punished for using their left hand (as was my left-handed father). Having buttons and zips left-handed for women's styles, undoubtedly makes for easier work from face-to-face situation with a man (or woman).

I haven't once been asked about the left-handed zipper, nor have I noticed any interest in it. I do get 'caught' trying to use my right hand though, having forgotten it's easier with my left hand. Overall, I suspect the 'handed' thing might be a bit of a European thing going back a long way. It looks to be something followed by very few retailers/manufacturers. It certainly is a long way off being 'common' in my recent experience.

As to the 'street' anonymity of a man wearing PVC trousers .... I have a number of times, 'bumped into' a chap from the London - ish area who goes out in a bright red head-to-toe latex outfit, that comes with horns and a tail. The overall look is that of the devil (as often portrayed) and if I remember, he wears a high heel boot with moderate platforms. I'm sure I have posted a picture in the "meeting" thread. Anyway, in London's West End, he hardly gets a second look. If anything, it's giggly (inebriated) hen-night grade women who had anything to say to him, with others walking straight past with no obvious recognition of his outfit. 

The term "hiding in plain sight" springs to mind. If you have the cojones for any given situation, I think you are half-way home to managing any suspicion of unusual behaviour or mode of dress. Won't stop everything of course, but will stop mass-hysteria running you out of town. :D

Edited by FastFreddy2