Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

'Wet look' or shiny leggings?

On 20/03/2017 at 3:50 PM, FastFreddy2 said:

Been a year, almost to the day since I first asked ....

Any details on the shoes please? :)

Pleaser Domina leather (not synthetic!). 5.5 inch heels. My favourite stilettos.

• Like 1

I think I might have the same shoe. In the photo's here with me wearing leggings, I'm pretty sure I have on that very shoe. Originally offered them by hh4evr1, I did donate a pair back that might have fitted him a little better.

The ones I have fit me very well, but there is absolutely no sizing information on them at all, or I might chase up a second pair, or the same in a boot. The heel is a challenge, but my biggest difficulty is keeping the shoe on my feet when I walk. I don't know if it's true of everyone, but after a while my feet tend to mould into a high shoe,sometimes leaving space around the heel cup. Useful with boots, not so useful with courts. :huh:

Good choice!

As a dedicated boot-wearing guy who owns hardly any shoes, I can never understand how people - male or female - can keep stiletto pumps on their feet!

13 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Two more things to say in favour of PVCs - on cold soggy dreary days such as this, when the rain is streaking down the office windows, a pair of slinky PVC jeans is  nice and warm and snug to wear. Throw on a jumper, get the coffee perking, and you're set!

And the other great plus, of course, is that PVCs never need ironing... :-)

Interesting!  I had assumed that PVC would be cold and clammy - but I suppose it could be snug if it limits 'ventilation' and therefore traps some perspiration.

I'm not sure that I would welcome the creakiness with movement either - I have enough of that from my unclothed legs!

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

As a dedicated boot-wearing guy who owns hardly any shoes, I can never understand how people - male or female - can keep stiletto pumps on their feet!

It used to be easier in the "old days" when heel cups were more curved. Back then, it wasn't unusual to see the heel on a woman's foot with cuts/plasters/calluses dependant on how long they'd been wearing a new high heeled court shoe. These days, manufacturers use a more open cup that as you rightly suggest, allows the (foot) heel to leave the heel cup while walking. My solution, and I suspect it's the same for a lot of others wearing court shoes, is to wear a shoe that's half size smaller than ideal. It would also explain why so many women suffer with crippled feet through wearing a heel. Doesn't affect every woman, but I think a significant number. Two of my longstanding girlfriends who used to wear heels all the time, have feet so badly damaged they can barely walk properly. Neither can tolerate wearing a heeled shoe, though both would still like to.

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

Interesting!  I had assumed that PVC would be cold and clammy - but I suppose it could be snug if it limits 'ventilation' and therefore traps some perspiration.

I think I've mentioned this before, but 21st Century "PVC" isn't directly comparable with the 1960's genuine PVC that you might be familiar with. (ie Rain macs and mini skirts.) These days "PVC" is used more as a description of a textured finish, 'high shine' as we see with the trousers further up the thread.

Here is a skirt that looks to be made with the 'real' stuff. Perhaps it's a modern skirt, or a 'retro' (genuine 1960/1970's) skirt:

58d317c86f7dc_KarolnaKurkovx3.thumb.jpg.e29bd1bc02d5ea75da6a7ea852ef939a.jpg

Either way, it's a shockingly unattractive style, not improved by the slightly cardboard-stiff material. (Horrible!)

Modern "PVC" I would expect to be a coated material, sitting on top of a slightly stretchy woven base material. Has the look of PVC but lends itself to shaping, both in how it's tailored, and in wearing. The pictures you saw of me recently, had me in outfits that looked like old school PVC but were coated materials that were really quite comfortable to wear, and windproof. B) I don't remember perspiration ever being a problem either. ;)

Here's another picture that was titled using words like 'retro' and PVC. It's certainly retro, and might be an original, though would PVC have survived 50 years?

58d31cf65c54a_LucyWatson.thumb.jpg.6bc8c435388daa7885c5aa3774370799.jpg

Works on Lucy because she has no hips, but again, "stiff".

Edited by FastFreddy2

One of the things I like about my Top shop "PVCs." Is the flexibility and slight stretchiness of the material which still manages to shine like classic PVC. These jeans are very comfortable to wear.

3 hours ago, Puffer said:

I'm not sure that I would welcome the creakiness with movement either - I have enough of that from my unclothed legs!

They can be chilly when you put them on, that's for sure. But they soon warm up. On a hot day I suspect they could get quite sweaty.

On damp cold days, worn with a jumper, they are quite nice indeed. At least these Topshop ones are. Very comfortable to wear. Just like wearing regular jeans.

The squeakiness is not bad with these jeans, just enough to remind you with a smile you're wearing PVC but not enough to be irritating.

Edited by Shyheels

8 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

I think I've mentioned this before, but 21st Century "PVC" isn't directly comparable with the 1960's genuine PVC that you might be familiar with. (ie Rain macs and mini skirts.) These days "PVC" is used more as a description of a textured finish, 'high shine' as we see with the trousers further up the thread.

Modern "PVC" I would expect to be a coated material, sitting on top of a slightly stretchy woven base material. Has the look of PVC but lends itself to shaping, both in how it's tailored, and in wearing. The pictures you saw of me recently, had me in outfits that looked like old school PVC but were coated materials that were really quite comfortable to wear, and windproof. B) I don't remember perspiration ever being a problem either. ;)

Here's another picture that was titled using words like 'retro' and PVC. It's certainly retro, and might be an original, though would PVC have survived 50 years?

So, 'marketing-speak' strikes again?   [See thus: https://heels4men.net/topic/960-the-joys-of-otk-boots/?do=findComment&comment=8248]   That makes me wonder about something advertised as 'PVC OTK boots' - could be anything!

I see no reason why the PVC itself (whether solid or a coating) should not easily survive for 50 years - as of course PVC-covered cables are expected to, and more.   But the underlying fabric may not and constant wear or poor storage could well damage the garment.

If it is marketed as PVC OTK boots I think you can be fairly certain they would meet anybody's definition of thigh or crotch boots. People who are marketing PVC boots are not usually concerned about the Vivian effect. Quite the opposite. 

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

Oh, I see Topshop has now largely restocked their Moto Jamie Jeans in black PVC:

There is a very slim chance I might be close enough to Westfield White City tonight, to go have a look at a pair my size. Reports from reviewers suggest they might fit quite well. There's still the £55 hurdle though.... :huh: 

Sold  some jeans to a nice lady close to Brent Cross, which I delivered tonight, so didn't get as far as Westfield. :wacko: Maybe next week. :)

THey're worth the effort - in my idiosyncratic opinion anyway! I love mine. They are a great step out of my buttoned-down character

I see they come in red, yellow, white and silver too by the way. I am a classicist in my PVC - black! 

Edited by Shyheels

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Wondering if you ever tried on a pair of them - and if so, what you thought?

I haven't been a Topshop yet to have a look at them, but re-checked stock only a couple of days ago. I was expecting to visit their flagship store in Oxford Street this past Sunday, but the warm sunny weather, produced a walk in the Sun rather than a walk around the shops. :)

While I was looking online, I also spotted red ultra shiny leggings after a search for "PVC" on the Topshop website, and thought I bookmarked the item. Seems not, and now the leggings don't appear on the web site at all. Oh well. :rolleyes:

A walk in the sun would be far preferable. I came back through London in my way home from the airport and was amazed by all the tulips in bloom and the leaves in bud near Hyde Park. It was gorgeous.

I was in eastern Europe last week and was surprised by the number of women wearing PVC trousers. I heard PVC was in - thanks apparently to Topshop - and so it seems!

Had something of an epiphany.... And found this .... 

58ed7349503ad_Topshopvinylleggings.thumb.jpg.287e6c3445a11b160ac2360ecc39eec1.jpg

£10. Very affordable. Sadly, all sold out! :(

For a moment I thought those were the PVC jeans being discounted to £10! I would have bought a couple of extra pair!

Not quite sure one actually needs multiple pairs of PVC jeans, but at £10 a pop I'd sure be willing to have a couple of spares on hand. Alas, Topshop's Moto Jamie Jeans in black PVC are still fully priced and in stock.

Edited by Shyheels

13 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

And the trend continues ....

58ee0d32c8ca2_DianeKrugerinPVCleggings.thumb.jpg.d17e3056b686e0932f25b2b7e474a4fd.jpg

So it does!

Long may it continue!

Edited by Shyheels

https://bblpgg.tumblr.com/post/131806903552/leather-trimmed-cotton-hoodie

I suspect that this overall look would find much approval here!   I have to say that I like it myself, particularly below the waist as the top is not really something I would choose to wear.   Whether I would get away with the trousers and boots in public is a moot point - my wife would definitely NOT approve!   Perhaps it is only good for under-30s?

• Like 1

I'm no fan of hoodies either. The trousers and boots look all right though. I wouldn't say age has much to do with it, although it is a look one would more typically associate with the young. Anyone with a slender build could get away with it, if they wore it with confidence and were obviously comfortable with themselves. 

54 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I'm no fan of hoodies either. The trousers and boots look all right though. I wouldn't say age has much to do with it, although it is a look one would more typically associate with the young. Anyone with a slender build could get away with it, if they wore it with confidence and were obviously comfortable with themselves. 

Ah - I knew there would be a catch!   But it does depend on what one means by 'slender' - I will settle for 'not obese'.