Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

'Wet look' or shiny leggings?

5 hours ago, Puffer said:

As to the missing driver (abducted?) ... don't forget the golden rule: take the THIRD taxi in the rank outside.

Or my suggestion; make sure you look poor and be as well armed as the kidnappers. ;) "Mi nombre es Miguel" ... innit.  

He showed up eventually and off we went. I have security with me, a guy with a gat, as these are lonely roads and lots of Narco types. So far nothing remotely scary though - nothing as unnerving as stepping out and ordering a pair of slinky rock chic PVCs :-)

11 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Or my suggestion; make sure you look poor and be as well armed as the kidnappers. ;) "Mi nombre es Miguel" ... innit.  

I have a very understated camera bag, and we are travelling with security and some locals. Should be okay.

The weather is gorgeous - faultless blue skies and 25C temperatures. Funniky enough one sees as many tall boots in the cities here  as in London! Go figure!

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

He showed up eventually and off we went. I have security with me, a guy with a gat, as these are lonely roads and lots of Narco types. 

I hope your man's "gat" looks less like this .....

Sprite%2019.jpg

And more like this .....

pix076285202.jpg

I am genuinely surprised, even a well travelled photographer would know the slang word for a machine pistol. :huh: 

A lot of time listening to rap music perhaps? :D  

I'd never heard the term; not too many armed gangs here in Kent.   'Gat' as in Gatling gun, presumably?   Although that was a machine gun, not a pistol.

4 hours ago, Puffer said:

'Gat' as in Gatling gun, presumably?   Although that was a machine gun, not a pistol.

You have that right. (I had not heard of the term until today either.)

Although not a gang member myself, I'd suggest a machine pistol is a 'spray and pray' weapon, and as such is about as accurate as a Gatling gun. 

My only personal experience of firearms is with the school CCF, where I fired a .22 rifle on the range (with some success) and a .303 on exercises, the latter mercifully using blanks!   Of sharper memory is the week in CCF camp on Salisbury Plain immediately after Christmas 1962 - the start of the worst winter in England since 1947 (which I didn't experience) and thence to now.    Firing blanks at an imaginary enemy when you were up to your armpits in snow was simply silly; I managed to avoid most of that by making myself indispensable in the cookhouse, keeping all the stoves etc going - dry, warm and useful.   Sobering now to think that was almost 53 years ago.

You guys clearly do not read hard boiled American detective fiction - Chandler, Hammett etc. 'Gat' is 1940s slang for a pistol.

at the moment I am staying in an almost comically awful seedy hotel - every cheesy Hollywood stereotype of a low budget Latin American hotel is on display here. Don't know whether to laugh or cry...

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

You guys clearly do not read hard boiled American detective fiction - Chandler, Hammett etc. 'Gat' is 1940s slang for a pistol.

Your writer wasn't breaking new ground with the terminology it would seem. From >> here << It was 1940's slang, though this isn't where I found the reference originally. (Rapper lyrics.)

G
G-man - FBI
Gams - Legs
Gas - Great time
Gat - Gatling gun
Gay -Fun Filled
Geezer - Old person
Get a load of - Take a look
Get lost - Buzz off/go Away/dissapear
Get under your skin - Bothersome
Glitterati - People in the spotlight/glitz
Go belly up - Fail
Gobbledygook - Nonsense
Goof - Error
Gorilla - Bully/Bodyguard
Grandstand - Brag/show off
Gravy - Cinch
Greenback - Dollar
Grill - Interrogate
Gumshoe - Private Investigator

at the moment I am staying in an almost comically awful seedy hotel - every cheesy Hollywood stereotype of a low budget Latin American hotel is on display here. Don't know whether to laugh or cry...

I would say that might depend on the grade of eye-candy. If you are pleasantly distracted, laugh. If not, should we send tissues? ;) :D

No eye candy here! This place is pure Bogart or Graham Greene.

i don't follow rap, but I do know my hard boiled crime literature and the lingo

11 hours ago, Puffer said:

My only personal experience of firearms is with the school CCF, where I fired a .22 rifle on the range (with some success) and a .303 on exercises, the latter mercifully using blanks! 

I have slightly more experience. I have used the larger of the two at a range, and it was a wholly unpleasant experience. In fact I declined the second half of the trigger pulls on offer. :huh: My father apparently did better in the early years of the last 'great' war, winning a competition on the day (at Bisley.) I too have been there, but did not manage similar success, but I was more than twice his age, with eyesight to match.

3 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

No eye candy here! This place is pure Bogart or Graham Greene.

I am far from 'well-read' on anything. But I recall Bogart had a friend for many years called Lauren Bacall?  Top Class eye-candy, even by todays standards. B)

10 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

perhaps Peter Lorre...

If someone like his character shows up, I would not be crying, I would be leaving.

With regard to Bogart, Bacall and South America, check out the final scenes of Dark Passage.

Great flick!

a Bogart fan, I perceive.

how ofd it us to be conversationally exchanging posts with someone from the real world!

3 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

a Bogart fan, I perceive.

how ofd it us to be conversationally exchanging posts with someone from the real world!

I am in that his films were made in a 'classic' period of original drama. Otherwise, "Google is your friend" is very useful. ;)

I'm finding it just as surreal, you are able to make up-to-the-minute posts, probably some 5-7000 miles away. :huh: I've mentioned before, that 30-40 years ago when foreign holidays for the general populace kicked off, it wan't unusual for postcards from abroad to arrive AFTER the holiday makers got home. :D

And now, comments probably only seconds after they were typed!

Indeed! Technology is weird. As a coloector of colourful old postcards, I miss the good old days even as I rejoice in being able to connect to oeople instantly, even from thus seedy dive hotel 

Funny how ut is that the cheaper the hitel, the better the wifi and unlike in the expensive hitels, it is always free! 

6 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

Indeed! Technology is weird. As a coloector of colourful old postcards, I miss the good old days even as I rejoice in being able to connect to oeople instantly, even from thus seedy dive hotel 

Funny how ut is that the cheaper the hitel, the better the wifi and unlike in the expensive hitels, it is always free! 

Shame about the predictive text .... ;) :D

Have a good one. I'm off to get dirty. (Working. :rolleyes:)

8 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I do heartily dislike the  term 'guy' being used in the UK - especially when 'you guys' is used to address a mixed-sex bunch of people.   I am neither an American man nor a bonfire effigy!   I do wish 'guy' could be left where it belongs - in the US; we are 'blokes' etc in the UK!   (No offence taken or intended, Shyheels; you are in good (bad) company these days!)

Your hotel does conjure up a lot of images, Shyheels!   And the posts above cover much of the ground.   Bogart and Bacall were indeed great on screen.   In fact, most of those 40s/50s Hollywood 'sirens' were not only good to look at but fine actresses.   I suspect most of them died too young from lung cancer, however.   My favourite 'film noir' is Double Indemnity (Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson) - I'm sure you both know it.   (The title, incidentally, is a misnomer; life or accident insurance is not a contract of indemnity insurance; it pays out according to a specified scale of benefits for each injury or death.   But the title Double Scale Benefits would not have quite the same impact, I admit!)

• Like 1

Barbara Stanwyck could wrap me around her little finger anytime ... ;) And Fred MacMurry, an actor who might put a twinkle in the eye of any woman. 

While on the subject of actor and actresses meeting an early demise, my 'notable' would be Kay Kendall.

9060163804_92afac24e9.jpg

kay_kendall.jpg

lg_5888691_KayKendall2-1.jpg

Edited by FastFreddy2
  • Like 1

Yes indeed, Freddy

39 minutes ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Barbara Stanwyck could wrap me around her little finger anytime ... ;) And Fred MacMurry, an actor who might put a twinkle in the eye of any woman. 

While on the subject of actor and actresses meeting an early demise, my 'notable' would be Kay Kendall.

Yes indeed to all of that, Freddy.   And I could add a few others:   Gene Tierney; Grace Kelly; Liz Taylor (when young - as in Ivanhoe).   There just seems to be something special about these 40s/50s stars; certainly they looked glamorous and dressed accordingly.

• Like 2

Snap! Double Indemnity is one of my favourites too. Brilliant movie, snappy dialogue ( screenplay by Raymond Chandler, so how could it not be snappy?) and beautifully filmed.

my favourite though is The Maltese Falcon. I don't know how many times I've seen it. It is on my iPad now - come to think of it, I think I'll watch it on my London-bound flight tonight. After last night's hotel, I am up for a bit of noir...