Jump to content
FastFreddy2

Autumn/Winter 2015

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, Puffer said:

A shame they didn't fit, Freddy, after your frustrating wait.   If they were returns, maybe they have been 'doing the rounds' (and will continue to do so) amongst those who are a size 8 and, reasonably enough, expect something labelled 8 to fit.    What is the connection between New Look and ASOS?   Are these boots also stocked by New Look (shops)? 

 

ASOS is trying to carve a niche for itself as a clothing version of Amazon (as is Tesco on small electricals). These groups have a logistics network, (as does Argos) the idea is these larger groups (ASOS/Tesco) use their branding and web sites as a doorway to other commerce. You will know that Ocado does this for Morrisons, Amazon does it for just about everyone, Tesco is trying for mobile phones etc. ASOS had a little go with Primark, and some shoe brands (if I remember correctly).

Further up the thread, I did a screen shot of the New Look web site showing they were out of stock, and might be why ASOS were also. 

I've known ASOS to have residual stock, when the main brand didn't, so I was hopeful the first time around. Just checking links, I found a pair in stock so I didn't hang about ordering them. ;) Lot of good it did me. :D  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Understood re ASOS, Freddy - thanks.    I have misgivings about some of these 'doorway' operations.   It does seem that, quite often, the price and/or shipping charge is inflated if not going direct, and the product info is not always complete or fully accurate.   It usually pays to use the supplier's own site - unless (as you found) there is a possibility of acquiring an out-of-stock item elsewhere, but of course not all the 'agents' hold stock.

I see that Tesco is about to introduce a (delivery) charge for 'click and collect' orders under £30.   A pity; I have bought a few items that way - convenient and economical - but unlikely now to be so competitive/attractive.   (Mind you, I've noticed that a carrier has been used to deliver order to Tesco branch, which must cost nearly as much as sending item to customer's address.)   I like internet shopping - but only if the shipping charge is reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Puffer said:

I see that Tesco is about to introduce a (delivery) charge for 'click and collect' orders under £30.   A pity; I have bought a few items that way - convenient and economical - but unlikely now to be so competitive/attractive.   (Mind you, I've noticed that a carrier has been used to deliver order to Tesco branch, which must cost nearly as much as sending item to customer's address.)   I like internet shopping - but only if the shipping charge is reasonable.

 

John Lewis has done the same. I suspect the charge doesn't actually cover the costs of delivery, but the (indirect) costs of returns. Just recently I have been paying either a small delivery charge, or a small return charge on the goods I've ordered on-line for trying intending/hoping to keep. As my reports reveal, much has been returned, although I can't think of one item I wanted and fitted, that I haven't kept. 

One of the pairs of Office shoes I had to return (not mentioned anywhere) would have cost me £2-50 to return by post. It would cost me at least £5 in fuel and around £1-20 in parking to do the same thing in person. The £2-50 charge is reasonable when looked at when that sort of comparison is made. As it happens, I had to go to one of their stores anyway, so this time it cost me nothing (extra.) 

Not very virtuous of me, but I have several times bumped up my order with some clothing/shoe retailers, to qualify for 'free delivery'. :huh: This has also proved beneficial in working out which item from a group of items I might prefer - assuming one of the group proved suitable. Has limited uses with blister-packed small electrical items obviously .... 

 

Like you I prefer to deal with the original brand, rather than an intermediary. However, Amazon have a no nonsense 30 day return policy, that can be very useful with 'borderline' issues. John Lewis has a very very very good returns policy for unused items, that far surpasses anyone else's returns policy. 

Something I haven't quite worked out ... Ebay charges retailers for selling, be it on auction or fixed priced items. When paying by PayPal, Ebay (or PayPal which I believe is still owned by Ebay but ring-fenced) also takes its cut. So one might be forgiven for thinking the retailer would be charging LESS on its own web site because it had no third party to look after? Not the case as far as I can see. In fact I did once find it cheaper on Ebay than the retailers web site. I can only assume 'edits' are easier on Ebay so the pricing might be more topical?   

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

 

John Lewis has done the same. I suspect the charge doesn't actually cover the costs of delivery, but the (indirect) costs of returns. Just recently I have been paying either a small delivery charge, or a small return charge on the goods I've ordered on-line for trying intending/hoping to keep. As my reports reveal, much has been returned, although I can't think of one item I wanted and fitted, that I haven't kept. 

One of the pairs of Office shoes I had to return (not mentioned anywhere) would have cost me £2-50 to return by post. It would cost me at least £5 in fuel and around £1-20 in parking to do the same thing in person. The £2-50 charge is reasonable when looked at when that sort of comparison is made. As it happens, I had to go to one of their stores anyway, so this time it cost me nothing (extra.) 

Not very virtuous of me, but I have several times bumped up my order with some clothing/shoe retailers, to qualify for 'free delivery'. :huh: This has also proved beneficial in working out which item from a group of items I might prefer - assuming one of the group proved suitable. Has limited uses with blister-packed small electrical items obviously .... 

 

Like you I prefer to deal with the original brand, rather than an intermediary. However, Amazon have a no nonsense 30 day return policy, that can be very useful with 'borderline' issues. John Lewis has a very very very good returns policy for unused items, that far surpasses anyone else's returns policy. 

Something I haven't quite worked out ... Ebay charges retailers for selling, be it on auction or fixed priced items. When paying by PayPal, Ebay (or PayPal which I believe is still owned by Ebay but ring-fenced) also takes its cut. So one might be forgiven for thinking the retailer would be charging LESS on its own web site because it had no third party to look after? Not the case as far as I can see. In fact I did once find it cheaper on Ebay than the retailers web site. I can only assume 'edits' are easier on Ebay so the pricing might be more topical?   

 

 

 

1.   Obviously, it may be more convenient and cheaper to receive/return by post etc rather than visiting outlet in person.   A value judgement each time.

2.   Adding a small item to qualify for free/reduced delivery charges is a common and perfectly legit tactic.   I think that there is a website linked to Amazon which can identify suitable trivial 'make-weight' items.

3.   I thought you disliked dealing with Amazon - or perhaps you are content with its Marketplace sellers?

4.   Although I have found some purchases cheaper on eBay/Amazon, as compared with direct from seller's own site (probably to be competitive with 50 other sellers), the reverse is often also true.   And sometimes a call to the outlet can secure a better price than that offered through an intermediary; my good friend bought a combi boiler (advertised at a very competitive eBay price) with an extra £20 off by phoning the dealer.   Martin Lewis would be proud!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Puffer said:

3.   I thought you disliked dealing with Amazon - or perhaps you are content with its Marketplace sellers?

A. I do dislike dealing with Amazon, but once or twice there's only been Hobson's choice. 

 

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

4.   Although I have found some purchases cheaper on eBay/Amazon, as compared with direct from seller's own site (probably to be competitive with 50 other sellers), the reverse is often also true.   And sometimes a call to the outlet can secure a better price than that offered through an intermediary; my good friend bought a combi boiler (advertised at a very competitive eBay price) with an extra £20 off by phoning the dealer.   Martin Lewis would be proud!

B. I've yet to see it, but I'm sure it is there. Twice I've rung, and been told 'the price is the price, we are making nothing on it as it is'. Something I've told many prospective buyers myself. In those circumstances, I have had to refer to "A" above. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little update .....

So far, STILL no joy with OTK boots or thigh boots. I have seen some tall boots by KG this season, that don't have a heel, but they looked like they might be a good fit. More on those and A/W 2016/2017 on another thread. While Zara haven't released an identical style of OTK/thigh boot as 2015's, they do have something similar. Actually, two styles. The long sock at circa £60, and a leather version at £160 if memory serves.

The patent Office shoes are still here, and I'm happy about that. Sadly so are some of the others I have tried to dispose of. I might have to give them away, or at least take pennies instead of pounds for them.

I am still struggling to find a black leather court. The Office 'Trouble' style, which should have gone on sale/reduced some time ago, hasn't although a sales assistant thought they should have. They still sit at the original £72 price. I know where there is a pair my size, and they are hidden stock. If the price ever reduces, I will buy. The same might be true of a red patent style too.

There are 3 brands with leather courts, possibly 4 if I include Office, available this Autumn so far, but none I've tried are a good fit. Again, more on that with a 2016/2017 styles review. I might have to wait until early September before I can publish, as few brands have made great in-roads to the new season styles. Many shops still have racks of 'sale' shoes out, and have 'sales' showing online too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/08/2016 at 11:51 PM, FastFreddy2 said:

I am still struggling to find a black leather court. The Office 'Trouble' style, which should have gone on sale/reduced some time ago, hasn't although a sales assistant thought they should have. They still sit at the original £72 price. I know where there is a pair my size, and they are hidden stock. If the price ever reduces, I will buy. The same might be true of a red patent style too.

There are 3 brands with leather courts, possibly 4 if I include Office, available this Autumn so far, but none I've tried are a good fit. Again, more on that with a 2016/2017 styles review. I might have to wait until early September before I can publish, as few brands have made great in-roads to the new season styles. Many shops still have racks of 'sale' shoes out, and have 'sales' showing online too.

 

Not much has changed.

Office have (finally) gone on promotion with some of their shoe styles, including their 'On to point' style which looks like a Jimmy Choo copy, though they've added £3 to the starting 'buy' price. No size 8's on-line in the red patent, so it's down to shop held stock, of which there is very little. They've already re-introduced the black leather version of the shoe again too. Chances are, if I get a wiggle on, I can get both pairs I want, but it'll cost me £109 to do it ....  

 

I thought I'd found some skin-tight thigh/OTK boots at ALDO. A bit pricey for me, but wearable.

ALDO OTK boots 3.jpg

 

The boots have a stiff zip detail all the way down the back of the boot (not seen on these images) but that loose material makes it look like I have athletes calves.

Nice heel though. Very wearable 4½ inches. They do a knee and ankle boot version. I might go back for the ankle boot.... ;)

 

Zip detail ...ALDO boots - zip detail.jpg Check the calf "bulge".

 

Think these were £100 before any promotional discounts. 

Edited by FastFreddy2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Here's a better picture showing the zip detailing on the back of the boots shown above. This is a promo picture.

 

Cornera - 2016.jpg

 

 

Tonight, I drove 20 miles to buy the red patent Office shoes. (40 mile round trip, in nasty traffic.) I'm circa £55 poorer.

Got them home, and waited until later in the evening for a good 'look see'. Condition suggests they've never had a foot in either of them. Box is in good nick too. I'm thinking the 18 month wait was worth it to get a 'perfect pair'. Right up until I spot what looks like a nail trying to come out of the heel. It isn't a nail, it's a tiny scratch, which looks to have been made at the factory.

"Pissed off" goes no-where near where my frustration level is at the moment.

Could I keep them? Maybe, but I buy as 'investment' in goods. If I choose to sell on (likely) I won't sell damaged shoes as easily as I might sell 'as perfect' shoes. Back on the phone tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Edited by FastFreddy2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More fuel to the fire .... :rolleyes:

I found another two pairs of the red patent courts held in London stores. Some 70 further miles, £8 in fuel, £9 in refreshments and around 4 hours away from home, had the two pair back at Maison Freddy. Had a quick glance Sunday, with a full review today (Monday).

Executive summary: All being returned.

I had not tried on the first pair, wanting to return them in a pristine/unworn condition by way of evidence the heel damage was not due to them having been worn/damaged by me. Neither of the other two pairs had been tried on before I purchased them either. I shuffled one shoe to make two (apparently) perfect pairs. Lifted by a sense of joy not experienced for some time, I decided to try a pair to confirm fit, left shoe first. Picking it up, I noticed something odd about the cut, but thought nothing of it until I put the shoe on. This was followed by putting the right shoe on. The right shoe of both pairs fitted well and looked good. The left shoe, on all three pairs it turned out, seems to have been cut badly, producing an upward crease above my big toe. If this 'oddity' had been present on both left and right shoe, I would have lived with it, given the trouble I've been to in acquiring a pair of these, but they look a bit odd (unmatched) too. From the top, the crescent on the left shoe upper that shows some toe cleavage, is off-centre making it look like my foot is curled inside the shoe.

I have given up with them, at least in red. I have ordered up a pair in black leather, in the hope they have a better but to them. More news to follow.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/11/2016 at 0:55 AM, FastFreddy2 said:

Tonight, I drove 20 miles to buy the red patent Office shoes. (40 mile round trip, in nasty traffic.) I'm circa £55 poorer.

Got them home, and waited until later in the evening for a good 'look see'. Condition suggests they've never had a foot in either of them. Box is in good nick too. I'm thinking the 18 month wait was worth it to get a 'perfect pair'. Right up until I spot what looks like a nail trying to come out of the heel. It isn't a nail, it's a tiny scratch, which looks to have been made at the factory.

"Pissed off" goes no-where near where my frustration level is at the moment.

Could I keep them? Maybe, but I buy as 'investment' in goods. If I choose to sell on (likely) I won't sell damaged shoes as easily as I might sell 'as perfect' shoes. Back on the phone tomorrow. :rolleyes:

 

12 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

More fuel to the fire .... :rolleyes:

I found another two pairs of the red patent courts held in London stores. Some 70 further miles, £8 in fuel, £9 in refreshments and around 4 hours away from home, had the two pair back at Maison Freddy. Had a quick glance Sunday, with a full review today (Monday).

Executive summary: All being returned.

I had not tried on the first pair, wanting to return them in a pristine/unworn condition by way of evidence the heel damage was not due to them having been worn/damaged by me. Neither of the other two pairs had been tried on before I purchased them either. I shuffled one shoe to make two (apparently) perfect pairs. Lifted by a sense of joy not experienced for some time, I decided to try a pair to confirm fit, left shoe first. Picking it up, I noticed something odd about the cut, but thought nothing of it until I put the shoe on. This was followed by putting the right shoe on. The right shoe of both pairs fitted well and looked good. The left shoe, on all three pairs it turned out, seems to have been cut badly, producing an upward crease above my big toe. If this 'oddity' had been present on both left and right shoe, I would have lived with it, given the trouble I've been to in acquiring a pair of these, but they look a bit odd (unmatched) too. From the top, the crescent on the left shoe upper that shows some toe cleavage, is off-centre making it look like my foot is curled inside the shoe.

I have given up with them, at least in red. I have ordered up a pair in black leather, in the hope they have a better but to them. More news to follow.

 

4 hours ago, Heels said:

Which shoes are you talking about?

 

I had hoped that would be obvious? Maybe not. :huh:

 

Edited by FastFreddy2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/11/2016 at 3:35 PM, FastFreddy2 said:

I thought I'd found some skin-tight thigh/OTK boots at ALDO. A bit pricey for me, but wearable.

ALDO OTK boots 3.jpg

 

The boots have a stiff zip detail all the way down the back of the boot (not seen on these images) but that loose material makes it look like I have athletes calves.

Nice heel though. Very wearable 4½ inches. They do a knee and ankle boot version. I might go back for the ankle boot.... ;)

 

Zip detail ...ALDO boots - zip detail.jpg Check the calf "bulge".

 

Think these were £100 before any promotional discounts. 

 

On 03/11/2016 at 0:55 AM, FastFreddy2 said:

 

Here's a better picture showing the zip detailing on the back of the boots shown above. This is a promo picture.

 

Cornera - 2016.jpg

 

 

 

Another post (following the DIY one) that cuts across at least two other threads. (ALDO retailing and Ebay).

These boots are currently included in the ALDO sale range >> ALDO Cornera OTK boots <<  at £69-98 down from £100.

"Sold" a couple of days ago on Ebay, advertised as a "Generous size 9.5 (I'm a 10 and they fit fine)" they made good money:

 

Cornera sold on Ebay.jpg

 

Looks like the seller has my calves .... Note the 'bagging' on the boots that I experienced (upper pictures).

You don't often see shoes go for more than the original sticker price, but OTK boots seems to one of them. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...