Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

In The Papers Today

Well, quite an eyeful!   I don't like all of the shoes but some (especially Pixie's sandals) were very feminine and sexy.

What pains me is the almost universal sloppiness of the 'young men' also appearing.   Is it really the accepted fashion to wear tight, shapeless clothes and (yuk!) canvas boots or trainers with laces undone?   An insult to the girls, the hosts and the public imho - but then I am an old fart.

This will be somewhat out of sequence to the rest of the thread, but I thought it worthy to include it immediately ...

2016 Golden Globe Awards.

30022C6D00000578-3393254-image-a-2_14524

Full details, more pictures  >> here << 

And related (by one commenter of the DM article - be sure to read these...) 

marco-rubio-boots.jpg

While those heels don't look high to me, this Presidential Candidate has been universally pilloried for wearing a "stacked heel".

Link to full article >> here << which itself has some useful/interesting links. 

I've never heard of the balding actor, Denis O'Hare, and I'm not sure that his overall look is 'right' - but it does show how heels could be assimilated into conventional male attire.   From the wear apparent on the soles, he hasn't just worn them in and around the ceremony, either - red carpet or not.   (I have an almost identical jacket and trousers, but not the sandals - too clumpy and ornate for my taste.   And they are not 'wedges' but merely a sandal with a thick platform and heel.)

As to the 'candidate', I simply do not understand why so much has been made of his footwear; I suppose it is simply an excuse for the (adverse) comment, so typical in any US political arena.   The shoes (boots?) themselves are quite plain and unexceptional.   The heels are not 'high' in any accepted sense, and certainly lower than a man would have on common-or-garden Cuban or cowboy boots.   I presume that no US politician is taken seriously if he strays one iota outside accepted, conventional dress norms - but that didn't stop JFK from getting elected despite the fact that he had refused to wear a hat with his suit.

I have little time for Nicola Sturgeon (although I admire her guts), but she usually appears well-dressed and often in very acceptable stilettos.   She used to dress much more drably, and would probably be given some criticism if she still did in her Fuhrer position, but would the height of her heels (or lack of it) make her a prime target for widespread public denigration?   Angela Merkel gets away with it!

It is a little known fact, but JFK actually did wear a tophat to his inauguration - it was expected and although his disliked hats, he respected convention on such a state occasion. He did become emblematic of a 'rebellion' by young men against the wearing of hats - hats had been absolutely de rigueur for men for ages. He didn't begin it but by being a handsome, young popular president with a great haircut, he became a figurehead. But the shift away from hats had begun some years earlier, by lesser men who risked serious scorn. 

It is certainly true that no politician in the US who has even the slightest hope for success will stray one tiny bit from the norm - Obama got loads of derisory comment when ge dared to wear a (otherwise conservative) briwn suit rather than dark blue, black or charcoal grey. America is watching. 

Edited by Shyheels

42 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

It is a little known fact, but JFK actually did wear a tophat to his inauguration - it was expected and although his disliked hats, he respected convention on such a state occasion. He did become emblematic of a 'rebellion' by young men against the wearing of hats - hats had been absolutely de rigueur for men for ages. He didn't begin it but by being a handsome, young popular president with a great haircut, he became a figurehead. But the shift away from hats had begun some years earlier, by lesser men who risked serious scorn. 

It is certainly true that no politician in the US who has even the slightest hope for success will stray one tiny bit from the norm - Obama got loads of derisory comment when ge dared to wear a (otherwise conservative) briwn suit rather than dark blue, black or charcoal grey. America is watching. 

I was aware of JFK's reluctant wearing of an inauguration topper.   My reference (as I think you realise) was to his avoidance of a hat (fedora; trilby?) with everyday dress both before and after election - and good for him.   I agree that men's hats were going out of fashion before that, in both the US and the UK.   But, from memory, although 'everyday' formal hats apparently lasted longer in the US, diehard hat-wearers (such as the 'city gent' with bowler and the workman with flat cap) have probably lingered longer in the UK.   (I discount the baseball cap, seemingly universal in most spheres of US life and (regrettably - especially with peak behind) becoming so in much of the UK.   But I find one useful as a light protector when painting, plastering, etc, or holidaying in hot sun - but not for everyday wear.)

Again, I've not spent time keeping this up-to-date. There are many interesting outfits to be shown. ;) :D

(Look from September 2015)

Edited by FastFreddy2

The 'interesting' Caroline Flack.

2BE0861500000578-0-image-m-129_144115211

From >> here << This is the only heels picture ...

Edited by FastFreddy2

A 'candid' street shot of Bar Refaeli. Don't enjoy it too much, people who do this sort of thing are called "perv's" in some circles. 

2BF1EE0900000578-0-image-a-74_1441306055

From >> here <<

A couple of 'candid' street shots of Rita Ora, leaving her ride. Don't enjoy it too much, people who do this sort of thing are called "perv's" in some circles.

She is seen here wearing some SERIOUSLY high shoes. Two pictures because they are so attractive. 

2BEFB95000000578-0-image-m-76_1441287618

2BEFB92400000578-0-image-m-75_1441287598

Rita is seen >> here << in her short-lived Lagerfeld period. Worth a look. B)

Another street 'candid'. Hailey Baldwin on a night out with Kendall Jenner.

2BF54D0500000578-3221409-image-a-91_1441

From >> here << Not worth a look really. Too much like a Uni party.

The amazing 40 something year old Elizabeth Banks last year, in stunningly high Loubies. 

2BF360CE00000578-3221645-image-a-153_144

From >> here << 

Edited by FastFreddy2

Another 'candid' from the streets .... The diminutive and lovely Penelope Cruz in very high Zanotti sandals. 

2BFA883D00000578-0-image-m-17_14413959762BFA89D500000578-3222841-image-a-34_1441

From >> here << 

Edited by FastFreddy2