Sign in to follow this  
hh4evr1

Next Sales Assistant

I went into Next to browse today. Found a nice pair of blue courts with stiletto heels. I was attending an informal interview so didn't get them before the interview, but went back to get them. I asked for them in my size and the sales lady went and got them. When she returned she double checked the size I had requested and asked if I wanted to try them on (starting to walk over to the seating). I was so surprised as this was the first time I had been asked if I wanted to try heels on in Next. It was rather busy so I said no, adding I have bought many shoes/boots from Next and I'm sure they would fit well.

Good report, thank you.  B)

Can I ask about the approximate age of the sales lady? I'm guessing by the term "lady" she wasn't young? I am thinking she might have some experience of "us" buying, rather than a younger person who might not have? :huh:  

I'm not good at judging age, but see was older than 40, so compared to a lot of the sales staff she was quite a it older. It may be she worked there when I worked in Hitchin and used to shop there often.

Never been asked If I wanted to try a pair of heels on.  Only been asked if they were for me but that was at when I was paying for them. I think you get a better responce from older woman then a younger waman.

I think you get a better responce from older woman then a younger waman.

I think generally that is true. I remember well, some 6 or 7 years ago asking for my size in some Diesel court shoes in House of Fraser, and the middle aged (or older) lady assistant being completely unfazed when I tried them on, then bought them.

That said, I did get asked by a pretty 21/22 year old in a Topshop store, if I wanted to try on the (very) high heeled angle boots she'd retrieved from the stock room for me. As I remember, I was so shocked I just mumbled about it being unnecessary as I knew they fitted.

A younger lady manageress (about 25yrs old) in a Kurt Geiger store helped me try on some high heeled girl's shoes at my request once, She didn't bat an eye-lid and was quite smiley too. And I've also mentioned before, the young girl in ALDO -now some 5 or 6 years ago- who was obviously disappointed/couldn't understand why I didn't buy the black patent courts I'd walked up and down the store in.

I also got a tremendous amount of help from a 30-ish year old man at ALDO Camden, about 18 months/2yrs ago. He put some shoes away for me, and drew them out of their hiding place when I went to the store. It was made plain to him they were for me, and he left them with me to try on, only returning when I wanted to pay for them. They were an identical style, and coincidently are the ones in my avatar. More recently I was helped by a chap in his mid/late twenties in H+M Oxford Street. I wanted to try on some leather mules, and the security tag prevented me getting my foot in them. While I probably blushed a little asking him, I did ask. Again he seemed unfazed by it, even though I made it obvious they were for me to try. He was also unfazed when I gave them back ..... ;)  :D

Although I've been back recently, and tried on/bought shoes, Debenhams Oxford Street is about the only place I've been made to feel uncomfortable. It was around 18 months ago and as I walked around the sales area, two ethnic "geezers" made it obvious they were amused at my footwear choice. I've not seen them working in the shoe area since, so hopefully they've moved on. 

Overall, shops seem pretty easy going about the whole thing.  B)

Edited by FastFreddy2