Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Man Heels? Boot With Hidden Heel.

I get all that but four inches is a lot of heel to try to hide. I really don't think it would be possible. 

I would think something along the line of a DM boot could hide a 4 inch heel. The trainer style comes pretty close too. I'm not suggesting a hidden heel could look exactly like a regular shoe or carry a regular shoe footprint - as a heeled shoe is obviously shorter overall....

What I am suggesting, is that a hidden heel should be able to pass a casual look.

59962d96d2b40_Hiddenheel3inchwedge.thumb.jpg.c862d186d621d03f529fd125ca6788e5.jpg

These worn under a trouser, would just look like a regular trainer.

Each to their own. 

If I really wanted to elevate my heels, for whatever reason, I think I'd just go with Cuban heels and be done with it. I really don't like the look of those things. Even if nobody else noticed or knew, I'd know and not be comfortable or happy wearing them. But as I say, each to their own. There are no absolutes. No doubt there are plenty of people who would not care for my style either...

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Each to their own. 

If I really wanted to elevate my heels, for whatever reason, I think I'd just go with Cuban heels and be done with it. I really don't like the look of those things. Even if nobody else noticed or knew, I'd know and not be comfortable or happy wearing them. But as I say, each to their own. There are no absolutes. No doubt there are plenty of people who would not care for my style either...

I agree.   I wear heels (and admire them on others, of any gender) primarily because I like the look of them.   I don't need any extra height and, whilst there is a mild feeling of achievement when successfully perambulating in a high heel, I don't wear them just for the elevation effect.   So, much as I can admire and indeed covet a pair of high stilettos, something non-clumpy but with a worthwhile heel that looks acceptably male is best for me, at least for any public outing.   And a man's 'elevator shoe' or anything with a significantly thick sole does nothing for me.

22 hours ago, FastFreddy2 said:

Gentlemen ....

I would tentatively suggest, wearing a ladies heel because it looks like a ladies heel, is likely to produce connotations of cross-dressing (androgyny) at best, and transvestism at worst. I have have few experiences myself in wearing an otherwise feminine heel, where I benefited directly from any aesthetic pleasure, save seeing a pointed toe appearing from time to time.

While I will agree -since I am as guilty as anyone else is likely to be- I like an attractive shoe, which almost certainly is going to have a high heel attached. But for me, function can surpass form. My Mars-bar shoes ('work, rest and play') are not attractive, but are really really pleasant to wear.

Russ has said his motivation is to wear some heels that would pass casual inspection at any event, and especially any family event. The rather obvious solution is a shoe with a hidden heel. It ticks his "bad back" box if the rise is sufficient, and hides or disguises the fact he is wearing a heel sufficiently to avoid cause for concern from his partner. Sadly, the 'lift' in the shoes delivered, fail the primary reason for purchase, despite his care in ensuring that did qualify as being suitable. 

I would think under usual circumstances, purchasers of this 'lift' shoes, are going to be fellas who might feel height challenged, and are looking for a height boost - hence the accompanying platform with the hidden heel.

I too would like to find a shoe that had a hidden heel with a rise of over 4 inches, that might pass casual inspection in most social circumstances. Perhaps something like this: (but not these)

59957a672b830_Hightoptrainerwithhiddenwedge.jpg.a4a107cda538b9e7a2491a640aa6a5e9.jpg

Thank you Freddy. You get the situation exactly. I've e-mailed the company concerned, copying into it some of our previous correspondence clearly setting out my requirements and their replies, which are misleading at best and untruthful at worst. As you say, most of their customers must be people who want to look taller - sometimes quite a bit taller as they have heels up to 5.5 inches - but I set out my requirements to them. Surely they couldn't have been unique, given the thousands of pairs of shoes they must sell. I have asked for a full refund for shoes, carriage and return carriage. I doubt I'll get the VAT and 'broker fee' back. My wife nearly cried when she saw the shoes! She said they looked like the shoes a 90-year-old family friend used to wear because of oedema.

However, I think, looking on the bright side, that this has highlighted to her the difficulty in finding 'suitable' shoes. She had to agree these were far from suitable, despite the effort and expense trying to get something universally acceptable. Ironically, one of her comments had been that I'd probably spend less on a pair of elevator heels than on all the other pairs I'd bought, most of which I wouldn't wear in public, let alone with close friends or family. In fact, I've just spend more on a pair of 'acceptable' but horrible shoes I'll never wear than I'd have spent on half a dozen pairs of my other shoes!

I'll just have to see how all this works out!

I'm going to have a chat with our local cobbler to see if he can suggest a solution. He's reheeled a couple of pairs of my shoes and must have guessed they were mine, so I'll see what he says.

BTW, awesome trainers/sneakers! I think I might have seen something similar on Ebay. If I could get some in black I'd be tempted!

2 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

BTW, awesome trainers/sneakers! I think I might have seen something similar on Ebay. If I could get some in black I'd be tempted!

You are looking for listing number: 322046070903

Not sure about the black ....

5996df708758c_Hiddenwedgehi-topsinblack.jpg.33304f69295f9a2763eb957514b65b9b.jpg

The white ones have a more attractive sole ... ;)

5996df4b90365_Hiddenwedgehi-topsinwhitejpg.thumb.jpg.6cecabf102a6193c4f118e64089ccdcd.jpg

Looks like the Yakuza got hold of her and they have weighted her down for a trip to the bottom of the harbour....

Russ:   I assume you read my note, with advice, on Wednesday; you haven't commented?   You should be able to recover the VAT paid on importation if and when you provide proof of the shoes being returned (i.e. exported).   HMRC can advise on this.   The fee paid to the carrier is probably not recoverable, at least from that source, but you could try to claim it as an expense from the US supplier.   Could we see a pic of the shoes before they go back?

10 hours ago, Puffer said:

Russ:   I assume you read my note, with advice, on Wednesday; you haven't commented?   You should be able to recover the VAT paid on importation if and when you provide proof of the shoes being returned (i.e. exported).   HMRC can advise on this.   The fee paid to the carrier is probably not recoverable, at least from that source, but you could try to claim it as an expense from the US supplier.   Could we see a pic of the shoes before they go back?

Sorry Puffer. The topic bumped onto another page and I lost track. Thanks for your helpful comments, and I'll look into it next week. Market day today so busy. In my heeled sandals of course. I had a snotty reply from the company, Tall Men Shoes in El Monte, California. I'll reply to them in due course after ascertaining the legal aspects. It's a shame I bought them off their company website rather than via eBay. I only noticed they were eBay sellers after I'd ordered. I'd probably have more come back. They say they never refund postage, with no exceptions. I wonder... Anyway, worse things happen.

It is hard to deal wth anybody with an ocean in between you, especially Americans. They can pretty much  stand on the other side and thumb their noses at you and not just on the matter of goods and services but other legal matters as well - as I have learned.

1 hour ago, Russ in boots said:

I had a snotty reply from the company, Tall Men Shoes in El Monte, California. I'll reply to them in due course after ascertaining the legal aspects.

I have had a look at two review sites for this company, "Shopper Approved" and Google Customer reviews. The Shopper site seems to have responses disproportionate to those at Google, meaning the Shopper ratings show a higher satisfaction rate overall. 

Looking at 1-3 star ratings on Google, the response you have from the selling company seems about 'typical'. The 1 star ratings on the Shopper site were about the same. (I didn't read the 2 star ratings.)

I never read 4 or 5 star ratings, as they are valueless. When I read reviews, I want to know what the bad bits were on a sale or post-sale support. This company charges for everything. They don't always provide the discount they offer. Their support "team" contradict each other. They don't even look after repeat customers, and their online purchase system is temperamental. (These conclusion reached from the reviews.) And quite importantly, their products don't seem to carry the quality they once did.

All in all, not a company to be trusted, sadly.

Edited by FastFreddy2

I suppose with these people is that their custom doesn't come from people on high heel sites, so I could put a warning on hhplace etc but few potential customers would see it. Not sure what else could be done to warn people, but then of course most of their market is people who want to pretend to be taller.

Perhaps it's a general culture of deception. A few years ago I got a pair of Bertulli boots and the heels were nowhere near as high as advertised. I was told the height was an average. As the range went only two sizes above mine... I'm also looking at an Indian company whose products sound very good, but trying to get definite information out of them is proving difficult!

15 minutes ago, Russ in boots said:

I suppose with these people is that their custom doesn't come from people on high heel sites, so I could put a warning on hhplace etc but few potential customers would see it. Not sure what else could be done to warn people, but then of course most of their market is people who want to pretend to be taller.

You might leave a review anyway. I have long suspected for each person that comments here and HHp, there are ten that don't. Also, membership is volatile. While there will be core members who have stayed for 5+ years, there will be a higher number that moves in and out. A review would be useful to someone at some stage.

It may be you can leave reviews on the two sites I found too (as above). It won't help you, but might help others. B) 

Edited by FastFreddy2

2 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

Just looked up those trainers. Apart from price, main problem is they don't go up to my size...

Well they did.

Maybe sold out of the larger size? The wedge trainer image was originally, only used to demonstrate the availability of a high hidden wedge shoe.

599d619776d2f_Wedgetrainersizes.thumb.jpg.3c2fead0e177fa2805a98290e0691dc5.jpg

Even if they were still available in a UK8, £60+ trainers from China? :o

Edited by FastFreddy2

You will have seen these, which would probably look a bit more attractive if the 'decorative' straps were removed.

599d724e92a57_Hiddenheelboot.thumb.jpg.22cf400a153989423513c94a7207cf98.jpg

And significantly more affordable.;)

Sorry, I haven't been online for a while. Those are the ones I have, plus a spare pair. Perhaps I should order another pair just to make sure, while they're still around. I saw some brown ones in an 8 but not black. I've cut the bottom strap off mine.

I intend getting a pair this week. The fit is snug. If they were available in a 9 I'd probably go for them but they are OK. Most of the time an 8 is my size and often 7 in sandals.

Russ (and others) may possibly be interested in these 'height enhancers' that I've come across by chance:   https://www.wish.com/search/men high heel shoes?hide_login_modal=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlI3YxeL61gIVVUAbCh0gFASbEAAYASAAEgLD0PD_BwE#cid=589ba816384ac26de873a667   Not too expensive for an experiment, I suggest?

The same site has other inserts, insoles and other items, all apparently from China, and generally very cheap.   These, for example:   https://www.wish.com/search/men high heel shoes?hide_login_modal=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlI3YxeL61gIVVUAbCh0gFASbEAAYASAAEgLD0PD_BwE#cid=577728fca3c82e7837486371

Edited by Puffer
correction

I have similar ones I've bought off Ebay - up to nearly 2 inches. Fine in boots but there's a limit to the height you can wear in shoes as obviously they start to look like mules!

11 hours ago, Russ in boots said:

I have similar ones I've bought off Ebay - up to nearly 2 inches. Fine in boots but there's a limit to the height you can wear in shoes as obviously they start to look like mules!

Understood - they obviously won't work in any footwear that is not at least 'bootee' height.   I've never tried them but I find it hard to understand that they could be practicable (or comfortable) except in a very well-fitting (tightly laced or zipped?) high ankle boot.

I've worn them in cuban heel shoes - about an inch. They made my ankles project a bit higher but were comfortable enough. I wouldn't say you need the shoes/boots to be tight although of course the insert makes them tighter anyway. One thing it's likely to do is mess up the shoe's insole.

On 8/23/2017 at 3:18 PM, FastFreddy2 said:

You will have seen these, which would probably look a bit more attractive if the 'decorative' straps were removed.

599d724e92a57_Hiddenheelboot.thumb.jpg.22cf400a153989423513c94a7207cf98.jpg

And significantly more affordable.;)

I ordered these but found out that the size runs one size small. My wife adopted the boots, fitted to her feet perfectly :D

They are small - fortunately not too tight for me. I now have three pairs - I need to get 'acceptable' heels while they're still available, and these were a third of the price I paid for the first pair. My wife says she likes the buckles, so I won't bother cutting them off the next ones I wear. My first ones still have plenty of wear in them, and I've walked a lot of miles in them.