Sign in to follow this  
Heels

Ebay And Shopping.

... Perhaps NL only carry size 9 stock, where a (local) market exists? Africans tend to have larger feet, Asians smaller feet than Europeans. Taller people have larger feet, shorter people, smaller feet. Younger people are bigger/taller (better fed) than older people brought up in harder times and when "fast-food" wasn't available. So if you live somewhere like Hove, a place full of old/shorter Europeans, there'd be no need to carry a range of size 9 shoes for ladies? If you lived somewhere like Wood Green in London, you would likely find size 9 stocked, with even women asking about size 10 from time to time...

Hove is not a good example - Bexhill might be a better one.   The People's Republican Green City of Brighton & Hove has a very varied population, including a lot of fashion-conscious young girls with growing feet.   Last time I looked in NL there, it had a large range of shoes, including 9s and wide fitting.

I have relatives in the City and visit regularly - despite absurd traffic and parking restrictions.   I can't say that I participate in the (often sleazy) nightlife or see too many of the more appealing heels in the daytime streets, but I'm sure the business is there for the likes of NL and Primark.

It might of been bad luck on the day I went shopping in New look.  Might of just sold out of size 9 since they did have a sale on. When I went shopping in the new year sales there were plenty of Si\e 9 in both Guildford and Portsmouth stores. Brighton is well known for it's fashion-conscious population including men that like wearing woman's shoes. One of the few times I,ve seen men wearing high heels. Twice in one night in fact.  

New look in Brighton could well sale a large number of size 9 heels but still sale out quick due to the high number of men wearing high heels.. Simple case of supply and demand.

Hove has obviously become a lot more 'cosmo' since my last visit. :D 

Hove was then, practically a retirement town and nothing else. It would seem 'pretty young things' in Brighton have taken advantage of what may have been slightly better value properties in Hove. I know for sure, some parts of Brighton could match London on pricing, such was the demand there. 

I have been to Brighton in heels, and I know someone waiting several months to get access here also has. Very busy place in the evenings. Got some nasty cobbled streets though ... A place I like to visit despite the cobbles. B)

I lived in Brighton 1973-2000 and still visit regularly so can claim close knowledge of the area.   Yes, Hove had its significant share of 'wrinklies' (as too did Brighton) but its very varied property and other perceived advantages - wider roads, few parking restrictions, quieter areas - have long appealed as much to young people (particularly with families) as to the older ones.   The merger of the two towns, whilst very sensible in many respects and already recognised in practice for many years by most residents, did destroy much of Hove's character (especially easy parking!) and there is not a lot to choose between them these days, apart from geographical differences.   Property prices have certainly risen steeply over the years - more than 30-fold in 35 years in my experience.

Strangely enough, I have never been outside in heels there and saw very few possible male heelers around the area.   The exceptions were obvious trannies.   There were (and are) enough wierdos of all types in the area, by day and by night, so I am sure that heel wearers of various persuasions do exist there.

I haven't been for probably more than 5 years (cost of parking has gotten ridiculous) but Mrs Freddy went with some friends only weeks ago on a day trip. I did offer to take them, but they thought 5 people in my car would be a little crushed, so opted for the coach after all. Not sure the stop-less return journey proved their decision the better one. ;) 

When my time was less constrained and fuel a more reasonable price, I would even travel down from Herts to a cafe away from the front on a Sunday to get a veggie breakfast that would set me up for the day. Can't recall the name but might have had Rose in it? I used to park up the end of a large grassy square, until restrictions there meant using car parks. I even bought a bicycle rack for the car circa 2001/2002 and we took our bikes there for a long ride along the front.

Pretty sure the last time we went was for an evening to sample the nightlife with me in heels before returning the same night. I've had a couple of bad experiences trying to save money on accommodation only to find myself in flea-pits. I don't drink really, so coming back after a night there wasn't a problem. Mrs Freddy slept during the return journey of course, but was a good night out.

Of the places I could see myself retiring to, it comes second only to Nice. I like being close to water, a promenade, and eclectic people.

Maybe we need a new 'Brighton & Hove' thread!

I loved Brighton when I lived there (although wary of its worst excesses).   I missed much that was there when moving to Kent, but now actually dislike returning there because of the traffic and driving/parking restrictions and especially the parking costs.   That was a real burden when I visited my elderly and housebound mother (now deceased) in Hove regularly and, if I now visit my elder son there, I have to pay to park outside 7 days a week and can only use a phone to do so - with a surcharge plus call cost as well.   This is just not acceptable.   OK, I could go to a local shop and pay there - but not just a few yards' walk away and with a risk of being booked before I complete transaction.

I was wrong when I said before that I had never worn heels in the city.   True of Brighton (I think), but I did try out a couple of pairs of heels around Hove Park at dusk following a visit to Mum.

I can see the attractions of the city for retirement but I will show my old fart colours and say that I would be more at home now in Bournemouth!   (I do own a seaside flat elewhere in Kent, so do have the advantages of an easily-reached retreat for a bit of relaxation.   The town in question is quiet and friendly, with discreet evening heeling quite possible.)

Some of my friends are going to Brighton this Sunday. Only thing is they live 30 miles going in the wrong direction. I could a car share and share the costs but does mean going out my way. It is the parking costs that is making think twice about going there.

Some of my friends are going to Brighton this Sunday. Only thing is they live 30 miles going in the wrong direction. I could a car share and share the costs but does mean going out my way. It is the parking costs that is making think twice about going there.

It might pay you to use the 'Park and Ride' at Withdean Stadium (just off A23 approach).   You can Google details.   Even on a Sunday, parking restrictions/costs abound in the city centre and you might still find it difficult to get free parking further out that is still within walking distance.

I will have a look at that. Had a look at it, sounds like a good idea. Its only £4.70 return.

Edited by Heels

I don't spend much time shoe/boot shopping on auction sites, or for that matter much on-line these days. I feel I pretty much have everything covered with one or two exception. (Skin tight thigh boots being one.) 

Feeling a little adventurous, and foolishly thinking I didn't need the sleep I could have had instead, I recently had a couple trawls through the most popular auctions site. I came up with about 5 items I might be interested in. I added them to my watch list, and completely forgot about them. One of the items, was some 5" thigh boots in my size. New but for a walk around a house. Doubtless owned by a male ...

So the items came up and were sold. And here's the kicker ...

Every pair I marked as me being interested in, sold for about a quarter of the price I thought they would sell for, and each one for significantly less than I would have paid. Obviously, if I'd bid they would have gone for more money, but .... It's an indication that people don't seem to be spending money on themselves at the moment. Perhaps saving for Crimbo? 

Now all I got to do is decide what to do with those New look heels. They just seem to be bigger then a size 9 should be. I have notice that most of my other New look heels are 42/9 these are 43/9.

Don't know if you've spotted these ..... >> here << or if they would be of interest.

• Like 1

Don't know if you've spotted these ..... >> here << or if they would be of interest.

I look on Ebay twice a day.  Can't remember if I noticed them being listed but have not had them on my watch list.  I,m trying to avoid buying any more classic courts shoes now. I have at lease 3 pairs of court shoes and I,m trying to keep to my rule of 1 pair of each style.  Reading the listing itself the seller states that the reason for selling is a little on the small size so i,m not going to bid on them.

Going to edit and say this is what the seller wrote. -

"I'm a size 9, but I'm more of a 43, New Look/Next size 9 when it comes to heels, rather than a 42 Topshop size 9. These were a little on the small side for me, even though they say "wide fit" (they weren't noticeably wide). They pinched a bit, and I can't be bothered with shoes that pinch, so selling them."

I know in the past I said I have heels in a 42/9 but  a 43/9 are more  comfortable and I don't know if New look or Next have change how they now class a size 9 as a 43 now  and not a 42 but there does seem to be more 9'43 online now. As for that pair of New look heels I have been trying to sell. They are a size 9/43 in a wide sizing. Hence why I finding them to be on the large size. I thought I was a wide fitting but it seems I,m not

Edited by Heels

At the start of the year I did think about buying to sell on and make myself some extra money. Having failed  to sell  couple of pairs that I did list I have now given up on that idea.

You are not alone in this.   

People shopping on auction sites do so for one of two main reasons. Price, and choice. My experience suggests bargains are to be had for reselling, if you can catch something in demand at a buy-it-now price that is significantly lower than the item might make at auction. It has to be lower because the auction site, takes around 15% of your selling price if you make a sale. That's quite a big handicap.

The 'in demand' bit is quite important too. I'll three pairs of sandals that are quite attractive, but summer is over so no-one even looks at them. 

Been watching this pair on Ebay for the last week or so. Item number  131648973686. At the moment with an hour to go the bidding has gone to £57  I know they have red soles and look like a famous brand but £57. Still only a classic court shoe.

Pleaser do a variety of higher heeled court shoe, for less money, and in a variety of large sizes.

If red soles are your thing (and I think they only look good when new), people sell red paint on the auction site to touch up the soles of Loubies, but in quantities that seem ideal for painting the whole of two soles? ;) Even Louboutin can't stop people legally having red soles on red shoes.... 

I agree that red soled shoes only look good when new. I have a pair of purple soled shoes and they look bad. 

I like this pair from Zara but chances are they won't fit.

$_57 (4).JPG

Have bought 3 more pairs of high heels. All 3 sellers seems to be slow in posting them. Still waiting for them.  Last lising ended Monday night but heels were only posted Thursday and by My Hernies so that could be a problem.

The first pair I bought was last Friday but seller only got back to me Wednesday telling me she's away till today but I found on Thursday that the payment has gone to another account. Up to seller to sort this as all I can do is open up an item not recieved case which I might do if the seller can't sort this out..

As for the other seller, not heard much but seller only posted 4 days after the listing ended.

Edited by Heels

I like those shoes in the picture from Zara. I almost bought some myself a couple of months ago in a UK 8. Since Zara come up a size small, and are a narrow fit, too, I'll almost guarantee they will be too small. :( But it's a really good choice. B)

@Heels:

Having (almost) re-read every post post on the thread, I'm not entirely sure this is the right place to mention it but ... I remember you being interested in some high peep-toe courts? Not sure you ever got them, and I'm also aware you have decided not to increase your collection of courts, but I thought these worth a mention. 

They come in a 9, and look, very very high. ;) 

image2xxl.jpg 

£30 from >> here <<

Those shoes are bound to be copied by someone soon - you must have heard of 'The Pirates of Penzance'.

They do look high, but the platform (effectively hidden) is claimed as 1", which reduces the arch to a piffling 4".   The heel shape/position and overall silhouette is very acceptable though.   It would be interesting to have the true measurements - and to know if they vary much between (say) a 5 and a 9.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Puffer said:

Those shoes are bound to be copied by someone soon - you must have heard of 'The Pirates of Penzance'.

They do look high, but the platform (effectively hidden) is claimed as 1", which reduces the arch to a piffling 4".   The heel shape/position and overall silhouette is very acceptable though.   It would be interesting to have the true measurements - and to know if they vary much between (say) a 5 and a 9.

My first day in what yoof call High School these days, (senior school in my day) I was saddled with a form teacher who had 3 interests in life. Chess, Golf, and anything Gilbert and Sullivan. This fella was undoubtedly born in the 1800's, and may well have seen Queen Victoria in the flesh. It's not that I went to school THAT long ago, but he was very very old.

While I have held a golf 'stick' twice, played for my House in Chess, I am still disappointingly familiar with the Pirates, and the Mikado. That man has a lot to answer for. ;) :D

As for the shoes ....

I am always 'amused' (aka disappointed) when reviewing American web sites for shoes. EVERY shoe or boot has a 4 inch heel. I agree the rise on this particular shoe doesn't seem to fit the given description. I have my doubts it has a 1 inch platform, my guess would be half that. 13mm is fairly common, it certainly doesn't look like an inch.

The heel, given the claimed 5" height, just can't be, even if the platform was an inch. I would put the heel at closer to 6 inches. The rise looks to be circa 5 inches? It may be that shoe is a smaller size of course, but the declared platform height would seem even less accurate if this a smaller size.

No-one going to 'take one for the team'? :D 

Another 'silly height' sandal, this time from River Island. Has a claimed 6 inch heel, and I don't doubt that it is. Image shown here from ASOS.

565858db47f47_ASOS-RiverIslandplatformsa

River Island had them on offer at size 9, and on sale at £30. Sold out.

ASOS have them to size 8, at the original £60 price. 

Just bought them.  While I am trying to avoid buying court shoes, I have been looking out for another peep-toe court shoe to add to my collection.

1 hour ago, Heels said:

Just bought them.  While I am trying to avoid buying court shoes, I have been looking out for another peep-toe court shoe to add to my collection.

Good for you. B)

Please do let us know about 'actual' heights.  ;)