Sign in to follow this  
Heels

Ebay And Shopping.

I think the 'acid' test to a shoe size, is the size marked and advertised.

If a seller advertises a New Look shoe as a size 7, but is marked 6, then there's a case to answer. If a seller advertises a size 7 and the shoe is marked size 7, then there isn't a case to answer surely. The only time I would say this might be an issue, is with (say) Nine West shoes, who use the American sizing system. [uK8 = US10.]  I have twice found shoes in shops advertising US8's as UK8', when in fact they were closer to a UK6 in fit.

Experience suggests manufacturers provide sizing information as more of a guide than anything else. I'm fairly certain ASOS buyers are not size testing their shoes or boots. Where most retailers might get away with half a size either way, I think ASOS and increasingly ALDO have the potential for sizing errors of a whole size difference. I recently sold an ALDO shoe that clearly stated it was a UK8. I can usually get into a UK7 in a shoe (and did with a River Island UK7/EU40 recently without realising) but this shoe fitted more like a 6½, and I sold it as a "small 7". No complaints from the buyer, so I guess they were 'as described'.

Maybe the 'not as described' option includes where there is no sized marked, and the seller took a guess, and made a bad guess?  :huh:

I don't think it is quite that simple, Freddy.   The seller ought to take care in his description to specify the size (as marked or as estimated), maybe with a suitable disclaimer.   In other words, he can say 'Maker's marked size is UK8' and, if necesssary, add a comment such 'but runs small' or 'fits more like UK7'.   Or, if size is not clearly marked or is dubious, something like 'Fits like UK8' would be helpful.   And it may be necessary (and advisable), especially if the seller has no real way of checking the size (probably because it is not his usual size), to add a disclaimer such as 'Size shown is as marked but is not guaranteed correct'.   OK, some buyers will be deterred but they can't say they haven't been warned.

This is EXACTLY what I do, but I have the benefit of understanding how most brands are going to fit (me). For example, Dune/Zara/Top Shop, seem to run a size or a half a size smaller than most others. New Look, Primarmi (Primark) George (ASDA) tend to run a half a size large. But can you expect every seller to be so aware? Not all sellers are the shoe owner/wearers.

I've read no end of shoe reviews that say "runs true to size" when my experience tells me the only UK retailer that has a consistent size on their footwear is Marks and Spencer. Even the upmarket high street brand Kurt Geiger seems to be getting slightly fluid with sizing, as is Carvela, one of it's less expensive 'daughter' brands.

I just don't think it's fair for a private seller to be responsible for the sizing marks of the manufacturer. I can't say sizing indicators like "would suit a slimmer foot" shouldn't be included because I nearly always provide that very information. But ultimately, the buyer is responsible for their purchase, not the seller. It may explain why the auction site doesn't have an enforcible policy on shoe sizing, unless the sizing is miles out. (Inadvertently claiming a US8 as a UK8 for example.)

This could also be true of shoe colour perhaps too. "Red" runs from cerise right through to a maroon. "Grey" is another. I have used your recommendation in selling a shoe style declared "slate" by the manufacturer, and said something like 'it looks grey to me'. Mrs Freddy is ALWAYS telling me I overdo the detail. She will have seen listings with "XXX shoe size 6 - worn once" as the full description with no colour mentioned anywhere, nor likely material either. Doubtless the sellers think if they don't provide detail, it can't be called mis-described. If prospective buyers want more detail than (often fuzzy) photo's provide, they should ask.

Sorry to play Devils Advocate, but auctions provide preview opportunities, and no-one has to bid. If I'm not sure, I don't bid. Surely this applies to everyone? :huh:  

Sorry to play Devils Advocate, but auctions provide preview opportunities, and no-one has to bid. If I'm not sure, I don't bid. Surely this applies to everyone?  :huh:  

I do try to make sure that I,m bidding on a pair of heels that I can wear but I do my the odd mistake. Have go much better at this.

When I bought my first pair of heels on Ebay they turned out to be 2 sizes to big for me but I more then happy to wear them but sold them on as used a year or so later. I think I also sold 3 or 4 pairs on as they were to small. I also think it not the sellers fault that I bought  the wrong size. The thing is the last time I sold a pair of heels that were to small me I lost about £20 on them so I thought I try to return this pair to the seller. Good job I did try return this pair to the seller as had I sold them on Ebay I think there would be chance me having to refund my buyer since the heels are faulty.

I have also had to return 2 pairs that were faulty. One  had a strap missing across the foot. I could tell the was a meant to be a strap there as I see on the shoe where strap had been cut off.  The other heels made a clicking noise when I walked. Both times got a refund with out to many problems from the seller.

Edited by Heels

I've had a good few failures too. Asked a seller if a shoe-boot had a platform. "No" was the answer, but it did - a "hidden" platform. At the time, returns had to be paid for by the buyer, so they just got relisted as it was a cheaper way to dispose of them.

Same experience with some software. Claimed to be retail boxed. What turned up was an opened OEM version. I lost the cost of the insured/signed for return carriage (circa £7) but I got the £80 back for the original bid. The seller had pulled the same trick on at least 3 others and got himself banned.  

The most notable for me was a pair of NEXT knee boots. As soon as they arrived, I tried them on and was disappointed to find one boot was unusually tight, Closer examination revealed why. 

post-40-0-16812900-1432510377_thumb.jpg

Further examination revealed they weren't even the same make of boot....

post-40-0-00249900-1432510380_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-70174600-1432510378_thumb.jpg

After I sent the seller some pictures, I got a full refund and the boots were donated to the recyclers. 

In 'real world' auctions, people have few consumer rights, save what the auction house offers as part of the Sale conditions. Some of that will be about authenticity; a painting claimed to be by X or Y, will actually be by X or Y. A "solid wood table" will actually be, solid wood. If not, then a return for refund will be offered. Above that - buyer beware.

The benefit of an auction is that because we don't enjoy consumer rights available in the usual retail situation, goods or services tend to be proportionately cheaper. Of course there is risk, and fortunately that risk doesn't often come home to roost, but it does - sometimes. The software, the NEXT boots, and possibly for me a further 10/15 pairs of shoes or boots that were either poorly made or poorly sized.

On balance it must be worth the risk, or me and zillions of others wouldn't use auctions, either real world or on-line.  ;)

I've had a good few failures too. Asked a seller if a shoe-boot had a platform. "No" was the answer, but it did - a "hidden" platform. At the time, returns had to be paid for by the buyer, so they just got relisted as it was a cheaper way to dispose of them.

Same experience with some software. Claimed to be retail boxed. What turned up was an opened OEM version. I lost the cost of the insured/signed for return carriage (circa £7) but I got the £80 back for the original bid. The seller had pulled the same trick on at least 3 others and got himself banned.

The most notable for me was a pair of NEXT knee boots. As soon as they arrived, I tried them on and was disappointed to find one boot was unusually tight, Closer examination revealed why.

Dscf4412a.jpg

Further examination revealed they weren't even the same make of boot....

Dscf4424a.jpg Dscf4419a.jpg

After I sent the seller some pictures, I got a full refund and the boots were donated to the recyclers.

In 'real world' auctions, people have few consumer rights, save what the auction house offers as part of the Sale conditions. Some of that will be about authenticity; a painting claimed to be by X or Y, will actually be by X or Y. A "solid wood table" will actually be, solid wood. If not, then a return for refund will be offered. Above that - buyer beware.

The benefit of an auction is that because we don't enjoy consumer rights available in the usual retail situation, goods or services tend to be proportionately cheaper. Of course there is risk, and fortunately that risk doesn't often come home to roost, but it does - sometimes. The software, the NEXT boots, and possibly for me a further 10/15 pairs of shoes or boots that were either poorly made or poorly sized.

On balance it must be worth the risk, or me and zillions of others wouldn't use auctions, either real world or on-line. ;)

Wow. Amazing that they thought you just "wouldn't notice" the boots. Especially considering they weren't even the same brand OR size.

I wonder if the beater sold another mismatched pair just like them. :)

They could have checked if they had the other boots and sent the correct boot/s to make the correct pair/s.

They could have checked if they had the other boots and sent the correct boot/s to make the correct pair/s.

I think it was a lot simpler than that. The seller probably picked these up at a jumble sale, or charity shop, thinking they could make a couple of pounds by reselling them. As long as you only looked at the front of the boots AND didn't stand them upright, they looked similar. I actually put them on before I realised they weren't a matched pair. To be honest, if you're not looking for it, a mixed pair is a bit unexpected. 

You would think that if the seller had the other mismatched pair, they would want to have the wrong boot back and send you the right one. It s good that the seller refunded with out any hassle but odd unless the seller never had a matched pair in the first place,

unless the seller never had a matched pair in the first place,

I'm sure they didn't. As I said, they probably didn't even check. Who would? They didn't baulk at a refund when I sent the photo's, they were probably as surprised as I was. 

Sometimes I think that if you not expecting something wrong your not going to  notice straight away that there is something wrong. It took me a little while with the pair of heels that clicked. At first I thought it was the cardboard tag that was tied to the right heel that was causing the click but it was the heel being  poorly fitted. I couldn't remove the tag incase the seller needed the tag still fitted to the shoe.

I bought a pair of "Faith"  slingback heels with two straps that cross over at the back a couple of years ago from Ebay. The first time I tried them on one strrap broke on the left heel. I might of pulled a little harder then I would of done  in a shop. but not that hard. I,m not sure if was my fault or there was a manufacturing fault which caused the strap to break. 

The seller did offer a part refund, but at the time I didn't want to goto cobblers, so I returned them.

Edited by Heels

Been watching this pair on Ebay. Might buy them but not sure.

post-52-0-84659300-1433441186_thumb.jpg

What I like  about  is that they are from *New Look" Don't have many problems with that brand. I also like the crome heel and the clasp.

What I,m not sure about is the style. A boot should look like a boot not half boot half shoe. I think I would have problem matching an outfit to wear with those. Also  not sure about the ankle strap fitting my fat ankles, but I have that problem with all ankle strap heels

Edited by Heels

Didn't buy those heels in the end. Wasn't sure if I could do the ankle strap and bidding went high on them as we

Sold this pair on Ebay today. Got £36 less p&p for them Which I,m pleased with

post-52-0-28626800-1433707977_thumb.jpg

Bought another 2 pairs of heels this week. Will post photos once I get my camera out again. I look on ebay everyday. I,m watching around 5 pairs at the moment but not going to buy any of them.

I've not sold anything recently, though I need to pull my finger out really. I have realised I not only have too many shoes, (if that's possible) but they are taking up space I could make use of - for other things. A wardrobe for my clothes, rather than plastic containers, would be a good start ....

Currently I have a number of pair of shoes I don't expect to wear. I do mean shoes, not boots. They include a couple of pairs of heel-less courts, couple of pairs of wedge sandals, a pair of Select courts that might have been made for my feet but will fall apart the first time they are worn ....

There's also around 3 pairs I would prefer not to move on, with two pairs I hope to keep. One pair are some £240 Kurt Geiger courts that are so high I can't walk in them. A pair of plain black leather courts from Office. And lastly, a cheap (£14) pair from Primarni that are a bit snug but ticked a lot of boxes when I bought them. OOPS! thinking about it, I also have some 5" asymmetric black leather courts from Zara.... So 4 pairs then, ranging from silly expensive (given how much use they will get) down to attractive inexpensive PU shoes I quite like wearing.

The reason I mention these ..... All of the shoes I have yet to wear out and likely won't..... I still find myself keeping an eye on some Jimmy Choo shoes that range in price (used), from around £190 to £270-ish. :rolleyes:  New they were £475. In my head, the only thing stopping me buying, is not knowing if the shoes will fit. I sometimes get into a 7 in a court shoe, though I'm an 8. Often, a 7½ would be ideal if I have any hope of keeping the shoe on, since an 8 will ALWAYS fall off after a short while.

Not long ago, I didn't make the time to get some heels ready to go out in, and 'voluntarily' went out in mens shoes. I thought I was getting over the heels thing, perhaps for another 15 years..... Then I find myself drawn to these shoes....   :rolleyes: Yes, I'm nuts.  :huh:

Bought both these pairsfrom ebay. The nude ones are from Just Fab and the other pait are from ASOS

post-52-0-89739800-1434195582_thumb.jpg    post-52-0-41959200-1434195599_thumb.jpg.

I,m in no hurry to sell my heels of, as I have the space but I do sell or throw away the odd pair from time to time.

post-52-0-06289500-1434195613_thumb.jpg

No point in me selling this pair as I damaged the heel as you can see.  Never liked this pair I bought cheap off Ebay, not sure what it is.

Nure sure if its the shape of the heel or shape of the foot bed.  Apart from that they are a very comfortable pair to wear and the strap is easy to do up. The heel feels higher then they are for some reason.

That be 3 pairs of heels I had to throw away this year. A pair of boots that fell apart, that  black pair that we been talking about and this pair.

Still got 3 more pairs to sell at some point. 2  pairs with a very high heel. and the wedges that I tried to sell last month. Then I might sell another 2 pairs that I don't wear much.

Did mean to buy this pair on Friday but forgot all about them. Maybe at £60 it might of been for the best as I know I can't walk in them

post-52-0-36868700-1434304339_thumb.jpg

Did try to buy this pair today but got out bid at the last moment.

post-52-0-16298800-1434304353_thumb.jpg

Just bought this pair from Ebay.  "ALDO JULIETTE Ladies Nude Leather Peep Toe Heels UK 9.5 EU 42.5Just in case you want to have a look at the listing.  Tried them on this morning and are a tight fit. May not be able to wear them. There is no sizing on the shoes themselves but on the box it,s usa11 euro42 and uk9. I think I have a good case SNAD. Going to try to get my money back from the seller. Any input would help here. 

post-52-0-13816400-1434804239_thumb.jpg    post-52-0-55114200-1434804252_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heels

I assume SNAD means 'size not as described'?     Clearly, the box and the seller's description differ, so on that basis the shoes are 'not as described' and you should insist on your money back (inc carriage both ways etc).   BUT - the seller could perhaps argue that the box is irrelevant (or doesn't even belong to these shoes) if the shoes themselves have no size marked - and his description was merely his best estimate of the size, which you say is wrong but he may not agree.   Nevertheless, in my view the benefit of any doubt lies with you unless he can produce an expert witness who would agree that the shoes are indeed a UK9.5.   Let us know how you get on.

SNAD means Significantly Not As Described.  The box also shows the model name of the shoes which are the same as the shoes I bought. 

ALDO do sell shoes they retail as 9½. I think the box belongs to the shoe, and has been advertised correctly. Note on the box the "-" (dash) after the 42 and again after the 9? This is how ALDO mark the HALF sizes on their shoes. 

For example: post-40-0-45038500-1434857545_thumb.jpg

The drawing matches too: ALDO Juliette so I would tend to side on the advertiser as the shoe being as accurately described as they could be. Not what you want to hear I know, but I have many times indicated, sellers aren't always wearers, able to specifically test the sizing accuracy of retailers claims. I'm 100% sure there will be a marking on that shoe somewhere on the inside - assuming it hasn't been worn off. If they are new, the size is usually on one side down from the heel, or lower down on the inner side or side of the upper that would otherwise cover your toes. They would HAVE to be marked somewhere, and it's quite likely it won't be marked 9½ but just 9.

post-40-0-99390200-1434857187_thumb.jpg

I know this because I did once buy a style, and I needed a 9 to 9½ to get them to fit my size 8 (some styles size 7) feet. I found the style in both 9 and 9½ although ALDO assured me there were no 9's made in that style. Bottom line, the sizing on this particular style were all over the place. They were relative to each other, but not to the usual UK sizing convention.

Here is a link to the full (long) story from 2011. Style is called Chupka.

Only yesterday, I wrote this ....

Sounds like you have the same size feet as Mrs Freddy. (Not jealous, much!   :P    :D) And any shoe that fits me will be too large for you. 

The closet thing I've had of 'mine', that might have fitted was a pair of these: attachicon.gif P1030210a.jpg

They were marked as a UK8 by ALDO, but were universally criticised as coming up a size small. I can usually get into a 7, though walking in them is something else. These came up a good 7, and because of the tiny/narrow toebox, I even suggested they might suit a 6½ when I sold them. Buyer was very pleased, so I didn't have the sizing wrong .... For some reason they felt higher than they looked too. Which is saying something given the heel was over 5" high as I remember.

This problem came as no surprise to me, given the experience I had with a lace up boot style from them. I have two other pairs of leather boots from ALDO with very wearable heels. They are size 7 and fit me very well.

I would respectfully suggest you consult the original seller about a return. If they are reluctant, ask about a receipt. ALDO will take returns for at least a year (may be longer I can't remember). 

Doing this may also help your claim regarding 'not as described' though I personally don't expect you to get much success. What might happen, provided nobody gets rude or angry, is that the auction house might give you a full refund on a 'no fault' basis. Meaning, the seller did nothing wrong, but the auction house will do a refund because you plainly can't use the goods. It does happen.

P.S.

For the record, a US11 is unlikely to be a 'proper' UK9½ whatever the box says. Pleaser for example (or UK importers at least) describe their US11 as a UK8. I would say 8½ as their US11 comes up a bit loose on me, but Pleaser advertisers will class a US11 as a UK8. I think Nine West describe a US11 as an 8½. EU42½ on a Marks and Spencer shoe, would also be UK 8½. Surely I'm not alone in knowing this?

That being the case, ALDO (not the seller) are a size out, and that would usually be within 'acceptable limits' with retailers. With ALDO, I could wear anything from a 7 to a 9, which is a 2 size range....  :rolleyes:

P.P.S.

I see you've had them for less than a week, and you bought them from a business seller who will take them back. You are trying to save yourself £3-90 on return carriage? I wish I had known that before writing, editing pictures, finding links. I've spent 2 hours on a discussion that has you trying to find a way to save yourself £3-90 ...... Disappointing.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Sorry if you feel that you waisted 2 hours responding to this post.  Now that I had a third look at the shoes there is some size marking on the inside just very faint. So I can't return them as SNAD. You also explained about the box which has also helped. Just wanted to get all the facts right before I speak to the seller. I didn't noticed he was a business seller  before I bid.

I never did get a refund  for those other shoes in the end so I lost £30. Turns out Paypal only reversed the payment while the case was open and now the case been close with me losing the seller has the money now.  I also had to get Ebay invloved in another case where the business seller would not have refunded otherwise. Seem I,m not having much luck on Ebay at the moment. 

Thanks with your help.

Sorry if you feel that you waisted 2 hours responding to this post.  Now that I had a third look at the shoes there is some size marking on the inside just very faint. So I can't return them as SNAD. You also explained about the box which has also helped. Just wanted to get all the facts right before I speak to the seller. I didn't noticed he was a business seller  before I bid.

Thanks with your help.

If you've learned something then it may not have been poorly used time, but it would seem you knew at the time of writing you had a £3-90 escape route ....

I doubt you will ever be able to 'force' a return of shoes under "SNAD" unless you buy something advertised as blue, and they send red. The critical word is "significantly" (not as described). Anything that is subjective - meaning open to debate, surely can't qualify. ** Sizing on shoes is ALWAYS a difficult issue unless you are sold a US8 as a UK8 which I have seen in retail shops twice. Possibly a get-out route might be a shoe advertised as wide-fit, that actually comes up as slim? But then a woman's wide fit might still feel 'slim' on a man's foot, so still subjective?

These days I seldom bid on shoes unless they have the "14 day returns" or UNLESS I already know the sizing. I have my eye on some KG shoes that I know will fit as I have an almost identical pair. I'm looking at some others I've never tried on before, and chances are I won't buy because I expect them to come up small. Why? Because 2 or 3 other pairs offered by the seller are a size 7, so I think it fair to assume she's a 7. While the shoes are offered as an 8, she likely would have bought the 8's having tried them on first, and found they either fitted, or almost fitted. The thing that will catch me, is that they aren't expensive by any means ... So I remain tempted. This has been the (my) route to many disappointing purchases, and the subsequent effort to then move them on with more accurate information on sizing and fit provided in a listing...... More often than not, carrying a financial penalty. 

As for ALDO sizing .... I have now many times, tried on styles while they are in the shops, and ascertained my size in the style I liked because their sizing regime seems to be so fluid. I then buy in the sales, or as in the case with those in my avatar, bought my third pair new and unused from an auction site knowing they would fit. 

Bottom line, you are older/wiser, though likely £3-90 poorer for the experience. On balance I would say a fairly inexpensive lesson. You might want to tell the seller when you return them, they come up small. Looks like they either had two pairs of these, or the previous buyer to you had the same problem? Who knows, if you are nice enough about returning the shoes, you might even "guilt" them into helping with the return costs .....

** Closed the post and then realised a better shoe/boot example of 'significantly' would be shoes sold as leather, actually being made of PU/synthetic material. Or possibly sold as one brand, but being a clone to that or close copy to the better known brand perhaps.... 

Edited by FastFreddy2

I used just sell any heels that were to small back on Ebay, but in the past year have made such a huge loss that I have now had to try and return unwanted heels back to the seller. I,ve asked the seller if he will allow a return. I have always wanted a pair from Aldo but it seems I going have to give up on that idea..Seller does seem to buy his stock from Aldo mainly ex display to sell on Ebay.

Moving on. Bought this pair again on Ebay. post-52-0-13344700-1434913688_thumb.jpg at the same time I bought the last pair. Now I thought I have wide feet so bought this pair as a uk9 wide, (New Look). This time coming up as far to big. I can get my finger between my heel and the back of the shoe. They also pinch in one place on my left foot. I expect I keep this pair but sell on at a later,

The thing is I have a bunion on my left so I try to buy sandals or heels that I have been buying lately.

My experience of New Look is reasonably good. The one "fail" on the sizing was a high top 'plimsoll' wedge that I needed a marked UK9 to get my UK8 feet into. Other than that I would expect a New Look 9, to be a UK9 unlike the ALDO US11/UK9½ which doesn't seem to be an accurate conversion at all on their part.

Primark come up large I find, as has several Matalan (Fiore) styles I own or have tried. 

My ultimate benchmark is Marks and Spencer. Their sizing seem to be pretty consistent, whatever style I've put on my feet. I've just had a look at their web site and it looks like they only go to UK8.  :( I'm wondering what size your feet might actually be. Is there no chance you might be an 8½ wide? Certainly if New Look 9 is too big, I'm wondering if a Primark 8 (which I find quite large) could be a better fit? The notion is that one or several retailers might have a reliable sizing regime you could depend on, for buying off the auction site. Although I find their shoes poor quality, Matalan come up a bit on the large size too. I often get in their 7's.

I managed to get the KG's I was after, much to my surprise. And slight embarrassment ... as Mrs Freddy was watching me bid ....  :huh:

I have 8 pairs of New Look shoe, All are size 9uk 42/43. None are wide but I thought I had pair that were wide fitting but I think I wrong on that account . 5 pairs fit me well and I can wear them all day. Just 2 pairs that are a little tight.  That just leaves this pair being to big. I don't think I,m a New look size 8 wide but will try some on the next time I go shoe shopping. Thinking of going this week end.