Sign in to follow this  
Heels

Ebay And Shopping.

Went on a shopping  trip to Guildford yesterday. Wanted to try on some Aldo heels. I thought House of Fraser sold them but It seems I was wrong.  Had a good look around in Next, Topshop, M&S and a few others.  Also tried the charity shops.  Plenty of nice shoes, but none in my size.  Went into Newlook.  Newlook in Guildford have their shoe department on the 1st floor. Tried on 3 or 4 pairs of high heels on. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago I would of bought them all.but walked out and had  a think about buying  them.  Came back an hour late and bought 2 pairs.  Was going to buy just the 1 pair but saw another pair priced at £5 so had that pair as well. Trying now not to buy heels just for the sake of it.

On the way back stopped in my local Charity shop. Everything was on sale for £1. Nothing in a size 8 or 9 but did buy something for a pound..Was going to up load some photos. For some reason the camera wanted to reformat the card so now my computer is not able to read the card.

Edited by Heels

House of Fraser Oxford Street have ALDO, but I don't remember seeing them in other HoF stores?

I am trying to get past the "buy every pair you like" stage. Seven years in, I still struggle. I think I'm getting better though. I've been returning some back that I liked, that weren't different/comfortable enough to want over styles I already own.

During the next couple of months, I REALLY must have a major overhaul of 'the collection'. As I write I'm aware of at least two (if not three) styles I've over-ordered.

One in particular, is a style shyguy had or has a pair of: <picture to follow possibly>

I have at least 3 pairs of this style in PU (possibly 5) and two leather pairs of an identical style I bought from ALDO. I think I've worn one of the PU pairs, 2 or 3 times tops, and every time at Westfield White City as they have a flat even floor. The heel is thin and high, easily snapped if it went down a crack in an outside pavement.

I've four pairs of calf boots I bought from Priceless, one of which I've worn 3 or 4 times shopping in London.

I've two VERY nice pairs of block heeled ankle boots with rounded toe from River Island, not worn either pair.

I could go on ........ (and on and on). My only defence for buying them all, is that I don't have any other vices .... Don't drink (never been able) don't smoke, and I'm too old to womanise.....  What's left, but heels?  :D

Edited by FastFreddy2

I'm doing well on not buying every pair I like (at the moment ). I have some pairs I could pass on due to sizing etc.

Still having problems with the camera. I used to be upload the photos via windows media player and edit the photos I wanted to keep but now the photos are going straight to file. Means more work to sort out the photos. These are the current heels I bought. 

post-52-0-95803900-1420038505_thumb.jpg    post-52-0-86182500-1420039012_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heels

Couple of years ago I bought a pair of Payless knee high boots. Worn the once in Oxford street and a couple of times around the house. Haven't worn them for some so time to sell on. I noticed  on both boots the uppers is coming off the sole at the front. I gave a slight pull on the sole and sole came right off.  Had to bin the boots. I did notice at the time when I stopped wearing them there was a problem.  Problem not caused by storage. Cheap boots. Not going back to Payless again.

Going to list a pair of New look leather  booties.(Shorter then ankle boots?) Think that what we call them.  Like the style but not when I am wearing them.

Still having problems with the camera. I used to be upload the photos via windows media player and edit the photos I wanted to keep but now the photos are going straight to file. Means more work to sort out the photos. These are the current heels I bought. 

attachicon.gifPleaser 1.jpg    attachicon.gifPleaser 4.jpg

All look nice to wear. My fav from those shown; the right hand pair in the first photo. Not usually big on Mary Janes, but that heel is delicious. 

Those are quite nice .Heel is just over 5 inches. Also pleased with the black booties as well.  Might try and sale the other pair of wedge ones. 

Today  I went shopping in Portsmouth.  River Island had  some nice pairs for sale. Was going to go back in and ask if they had anything in a size 9uk. but forgot. New look had a good range in a size 9uk.  Bought one pair for £10 Also wanted to buy another pair. I tried that pair on but had a problem with the straps. Had I been able to  buy and try on at home but New look can't do returns on sale items. Didn't feel comfortable trying them on in store. for more then a quick try on.

post-52-0-39456400-1420212498_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heels

If I learnt anything new  about selling on Ebay in the last few weeks is to start the asking price much higher.  Used to start the listing at 5 pounds but that is all I was getting for them but the last 2 listings Ive started at 15 pounds and still sold.

Going to sell a pair of Thigh high boots as are uncomfortable. and I have another pair that are better made and I like more. That be it for the time being.

I too have changed my M.O. for selling some styles.

Historically, I would price the shoes or boots at what I would consider 'reasonable' as a seller, and hoped my pictures and description would boost any interest. I'm not sure if I've ever used the word "sexy", but I hope not. I tend to suggest the heels I sell are difficult to walk in or a 'challenge'. I want to appeal to male buyers, or girls who don't get to wear very high shoes because they just aren't out there at sensible money. If email addresses are anything to go by, a good 75% of my shoe and boot sales are going to men.

If the shoes/boots don't sell at the price I'd hoped for in auction, I would reduce the price perhaps once a month. Bit like a Dutch auction but over a much longer period....

The change has been some fixed priced offerings, with possibly a "make an offer" thrown in, but this is not common. I tend to use the fixed price option for higher priced items, and I've met with some success using it. Sold some unused (still shrink wrapped) software, and shoes from £26, right up to £80. Almost everything shoe/boot I've sold like this, has been new.

I mentioned previously the need to move on a big chunk of the collection. I don't expect to get 'good' money for the most part, but the space is more important at the moment.

Despite the choice I have in styles and heel heights, I'm tending to wear one of three styles. The current fav' is the one in the avatar, but they are not walking around all day shoes, they are just too high. New Years eve' I walked 3 miles in them, and the last half mile was a killer. I doubt I'll ever find a better 5" heel for walking out in daylight though.

Since most of the styles I have are boots, I need to get a wiggle on and start selling my surplus.  :huh:

The weather in the UK -at the moment- is decidedly cool. Low single figures, and smatterings of snow in the South. Proper snow up North. Good time to sell?

Edited by FastFreddy2

Found a pair of size 9/42 New look ankle boots in my local charity shop for £10, which I liked the look off, but didn't buy. Felt a little uncomfortable trying them on so I didn't.

Bought 3 pairs in the last couple of months.  I pair was to small so now on ebay for sell along with another pair. Will explain more when I have photos.

Bought this pair last month.

post-52-0-82277400-1430044305_thumb.jpg

Marked as a size 44. Seller did say they were more like a size 9 in their listing. No problem, I'm a size 9. Tried them on and very tight fitting, they seem more like a size 8. 

I tried to open a dispute with ebay and see if I could return them back to the seller. There was also a problem with the strap which wasn't mention in the listing. Not sure if you can tell by the photo but the straps just clip on and the buckles are just for show.

The case was closed in 12 hours with me losing the case. So I,ve been left were a pair of heels that I can't wear and I know I,m going to lose money when I do sell them.

I do have some good news.  I bought a pair of heels in the xmas sales to resell on Ebay which have sold and I have made money on them.

Still been looing in the charity shops and have found 2 pairs in a size 9. A pair of ankle boots that I sort of liked and a pair of platform sandels that I didn't

Edited by Heels

Those heels look to have been cut down.  I'll try to edit the photo later to show what I mean.

I'm surprised (a) the seller wouldn't take them back and (B) you lost the case. I suppose the seller saying they were "more like a 9" (EU43) may well have covered some ground, but a shoe marked EU44 that fits like an EU42 surely qualifies for "significantly not as described"? Maybe not.

When I list something I always 'advise' on size, and often compare the like-for-like sizing against other brands. ie. "The shoes claims UK8 but fits like a New Look 7, and a Primarnie 7." Only had a single complaint. Soon after the shoes arrived with the buyer, she claimed they were a bit on the small side. They fit me with room to spare so I didn't accept her return request. (Felt she was B/S'ing.) Only later when she got feedback for a cheaper pair she had bought two or three days after bidding on mine, did I find she'd bought a second pair the same size, indicating she was a liar and just wanted to return the more expensive of the two pairs. The second pair were an identical shoe in the same size, only a different colour. 

I suppose you're only allowed one 'case' too? 

• Like 1

Now that you mention the heel being cut down.  If I tip the shoe forward so the heel is  straight up there's a gap of an 1" but there is still a gap at the front of the shoe and the floor, which there should be.  Added a photo to show this. These seem to be unworn as there is no wear on the red soles and so I don't think the heels have been cut down.

post-52-0-90468200-1430075357_thumb.jpg

This was a private seller, who was very unhelpful  when I spoke to him.  I,m not sure this case qualifies for "significantly not as described"  or as "item does not fit" which I put in the options when I opened the case. I did also leave some comments about the straps. I can only open one case. Ebay don't look at these cases to start with it's all done by computer. I left the seller a Negitive with very low scores.

Edited by Heels

It would have been better for me to edit the photo, if the original had been taken further back, and absolutely perpendicular to the heel. I've had a go at showing what the difference is. I think you need to add at least 3 more coins to get the heel vertical as shown.

post-40-0-43674300-1430087634_thumb.jpg

You'll also notice the footbed still looks like it goes uphill, suggesting that even my 6 degree alteration, may not have been enough if the photo was taken at right angles to the heel (not slightly looking backwards).

P.S.

Of course if the heel is not vertical, it will snap or bend over time. 

P.P.S.

Original picture with 9 degree shift. (Rotation clockwise.) Vertical and horizontal lines added as indicators.

post-40-0-96656200-1430138791_thumb.jpg

I would think if the platform was 2" deep, the heel would be 4 inches higher, so 6 inches? I have myself bought brand-new shoes off the auction site with what looked like a heel that has some removed to make them easier to walk in (not required by me). I'll have a look to see if I still have any images, though this was some time ago.... Years. They were supplied by a retailer, so returning them wasn't a problem.

Edited by FastFreddy2

Think I have some good news. Thought I try my bank and see if I could get a refund that way. After making 2 phones calls there is nothing showing up on my bank statement about this.  Had to look up my paypal account and it seems I have been refunded. The payment has been reversed.  Seems that I may have  had a no fault refund.  Just wish Ebay had told me this when they closed the case. The case notes says "case closed with no refund" but on my paypal account the payment has been reversed.

Edited by Heels

A pity that it is not as easy to correct the build of the shoes as easily as it is to photo-shop them!   Nice work, Freddy; suggest you ask your wife to get you a laser level (or a theodolite) for Christmas!!

The shoes are not my cup of tea (particularly with that platform) but I can see their appeal and they do deserve a better heel than they have at present.   Without that, they are not only vulnerable but must be near-impossible to wear.   Certainly not fit for purpose and the entitlement to a refund can scarcely be doubted.

• Like 1

The platform is 1 3/4 " and the heels is 5 1/2" which makes the lift 3 3/4"  The heels just don't look right for the shoe.

Not sure why I bought these now, must of liked the look of them. I did have problems walking in them. Just from walking around the room  for a few minutes almost tripped over a couple times. I don't have problem walking in high heels, even when trying on new heels. Didn't think much about this at the time but this could due to the heels being to short. Was going to resell them on Ebay but not going to now. Looks like I,m going have to bin them, but at least I have my refund.

Seems pointless for Ebay to issue a no fault refund. Could of just got me to return the heels back to the seller. with me paying the ruturn postage. Would of been fine with that and I would not left a negitive.

Edited by Heels

Nice work, Freddy; suggest you ask your wife to get you a laser level (or a theodolite) for Christmas!!

You may not be surprised to learn, I have a Stanley self-leveller (circa £100) on my "must have" shopping list of DIY kit.  ;)  :D

You may not be surprised to learn, I have a Stanley self-leveller (circa £100) on my "must have" shopping list of DIY kit.  ;)  :D

I'm not sure which model you have in mind but the 77340 (for example) can be bought for a lot less than £100: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=stanley%20self-leveller

I do have a laser level (not Stanley) and have used it just once in several years!   Frankly, I have found the set-up/adjustment time more trouble than it was worth, compared with more traditional methods using a sprit level, string, a couple of slaves, a blunt pencil, bad language etc.

I'm not sure which model you have in mind but the 77340 (for example) can be bought for a lot less than £100: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=stanley%20self-leveller

I do have a laser level (not Stanley) and have used it just once in several years!   Frankly, I have found the set-up/adjustment time more trouble than it was worth, compared with more traditional methods using a sprit level, string, a couple of slaves, a blunt pencil, bad language etc.

Don't know the model number, but this is the >> the one << £99 at Screwfix.

I agree, it's not that useful that often, but I've had one or two jobs that needed a "couple of slaves" to help and they just weren't available. I manage at the moment, but I'd like one of those levels.  

I never mind spending money on tools, as long as I get good value for money. I spent years getting by with a single rechargeable drill. When putting floorboards back down, I always use screws. Pilots, full size, countersink meaning I often changed the drill bit - a lot. I now own 4 of these drills, which hindsight tells me was a pendulum swing too far in the other direction. I regularly use two, and I'm pretty sure (can't be fully sure because I don't know where they are) but I doubt I've had more than two out at a time. In fact the last time I put boards back down, I STILL used one drill. Duh!

Bringing the post back on-thread ...... ;)   A laser level would have confirmed the heel had been chopped shorter straight away. Lot of money to prove a point though.  ;)   :D

• Like 1

Don't know the model number, but this is the >> the one << £99 at Screwfix.

I agree, it's not that useful that often, but I've had one or two jobs that needed a "couple of slaves" to help and they just weren't available. I manage at the moment, but I'd like one of those levels.  

I never mind spending money on tools, as long as I get good value for money. I spent years getting by with a single rechargeable drill. When putting floorboards back down, I always use screws. Pilots, full size, countersink meaning I often changed the drill bit - a lot. I now own 4 of these drills, which hindsight tells me was a pendulum swing too far in the other direction. I regularly use two, and I'm pretty sure (can't be fully sure because I don't know where they are) but I doubt I've had more than two out at a time. In fact the last time I put boards back down, I STILL used one drill. Duh!

Bringing the post back on-thread ...... ;)   A laser level would have confirmed the heel had been chopped shorter straight away. Lot of money to prove a point though.  ;)   :D

I'm not sure whether that Stanley model (STHT1-77341; not readily available elsewhere) has distinct advantages over the 77340 (£49.99 Screwfix; also seen cheaper elsewhere) - worth doing a careful comparison, I think.

I totally agree about having several power drills to hand to save bit changing etc.   And an SDS is a MUST for any masonry work.   Agree too about screwing floorboards down - but rarely find anything other than clearance hole in board is needed - no countersink required in softwood (as distinct from chipboard) and no pilot if using right screws (e.g. Quicksilver).   An electric drill/driver helps too. 

I totally agree about having several power drills to hand to save bit changing etc.   And an SDS is a MUST for any masonry work.   Agree too about screwing floorboards down - but rarely find anything other than clearance hole in board is needed - no countersink required in softwood (as distinct from chipboard) and no pilot if using right screws (e.g. Quicksilver).   An electric drill/driver helps too. 

As with everything, what I "need" to do, and what I actually do, are seldom the same.  :huh:

I don't often need to pilot, as I try to use the old nail holes where possible - the fewer holes the better. But if I'm putting a fresh hole close to an old one in a joist, I will pilot. Some of the boards I've lifted have already been lifted (badly) once already, and require repairs. Where I've had to repair a board, I always drill through with a full-size hole. If I am using a countersunk head, I always countersink the hole. While carpet might hide any lumps and bumps, we don't have any and I know I will be cursed forever, if I leave a screw protruding or try to force the head into softwood. [Call it OCD if you will.]

So, pilot, full size, countersink, and of course the 'driver' drill, I bought 4 units. I spent around £400 (same money as 1 Milwaukee) and sold off the excess batteries and chargers - unfortunately when there were plenty being sold. That said, I'm happy with my kit. Batteries charge in 30 minutes, and I have 4 to choose from.

At the moment, I can't remember why I chose the £99 over the £49 laser, and I HAVE to resist reviewing the options again, or it'll be another day I get embroiled in stuff that doesn't show Mrs Freddy I've had a busy day. ;) Plus, I've also noticed Makita and Bosch do them too. That's a whole day in front of a screen that is, finding out which I should spend money on .... :blink: And that day can't be today....  :ph34r:  

Went onto the community pages on Ebay last month. It seems that private sellers can refuse returns on items that are wrong size.  I wanted to see if I could appeal. I could of done had I known how to do it, I was out of time by the time I found the right page on Ebay. So If you do need to return an item that is wrong size go "for significantly not as described" and not for wrong size or item does not fit.

Any way have bought 2 more pairs from Ebay.One from Asos and New look. Both fit well and are comfortable.

post-52-0-68462400-1431973167_thumb.jpg   post-52-0-64169900-1431973180_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heels