Sign in to follow this  
Love4heels

Practice, Practice And Practice

I have for a long periode been using my 4" heeled boots on more or less daily basis.
When I wear them now, it feel all normal, I have no problem walking in them, they have become a more or less natural part of my outfit.

In the beginning, the 4" was a challange but not anymore.

So early this morning I put on my 5" heeled boots which are simular style as the 4" and I took a short walk.
These boots I have not used in a couple of years becouse they were to high.

But on the trip this morning, they felt not very much different than my 4" boots.

Up hill, down hill, flat...no problem and I walk fairly normal in them.

So it`s all about practicing and not start of on the highest heelheight right away... :)

• Like 1

I wore a 4" heel regularly while out for a couple of years, and like you got 'used' to wearing that height heel. If I'm honest, it did seem to lose some of the challenge, and I have said many times, the bit I enjoy is "feeling like I've got a heel on my feet"? 

More recently, I've bought slightly higher heeled walking out shoes and boots, going up to around 4.75 inches. I've noticed a smaller size [uK7] with the same heel height are more difficult to walk in. I'm not sure if it's because my feet are slightly more cramped (not compressed, but have little or no 'wiggle' room) or the rise is steeper. I wouldn't have thought one shoe size made much of a difference to angle of the rise? I keep meaning to work it out, measuring Mrs Freddy's UK6's against my 7's and 8's.  :rolleyes:

As yet, I haven't found a pair of 5" heels I can walk in, without a struggle. Not so 30 years ago when my young(er) ankles and calves didn't seem to mind a 5½" heel in a UK7? I spend significantly more time in heels now, than I did then too?  :huh: My worry about this is the obvious conclusion about age, and the debilitating effect of it. Meaning ..... As I age, will my capacity for wearing a heel at all, diminish? While there are obvious exceptions, we all see fewer 'older' women wearing a heel, than we do younger women. Mrs Freddy (and several others I've mentioned before) wore heels every time they left the house when younger. 30+ years later, several of them can't wear a heel at all (damaged feet) and Mrs Freddy prefers a heel if she doesn't have to walk too far. (Though I did -accidently- have her walking miles in an attractively high heel, to go see Wicked in September.)  

I'm hoping the answer is continual practice ("practice ~ practice ~ practice") will keep my ankles and calves supple enough for many more years of heels wearing. Assuming I have many more years .....  ;)   :D  Rather like any muscle group, a case of 'use it or lose it'.

Edit for grammar.

Edited by FastFreddy2

And patience is a virtue!  I get so frustrated when I get new pair with 5" heels, but can't walk very well for long distances!  Like you both say, start lower, and get plenty of miles on them so the transition will be easier...Unfortunately, the fit of a particular pair makes all the difference...

You are not alone where the need to lower one's everyday height is concerned. I too am more comfortable an inch less than 20 years ago. Sadly, the old brain still desires the aesthetics of the truly high heel.