Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Autumn/winter U.k. 2013

Went to the shops today, to have a look around for new A/W season stock. This would typically be the styles I'll be hunting for in the New Year sales, if there's stock left. (I live in hope.)

Retailers are getting wise to over-stocks, and are buying in less. Some stores don't sell the current season's over-stocks (NEXT, John Lewis) but tend to dig out styles they haven't sold for the previous 2-5 years instead.  :huh: Zara only buy in small-ish quantities, and seldom reduce the price of footwear.

When I first got back into buying womens heels, (2008) I vaguely remember some of those January sales dragging on until April. Last year, the sales were pretty much over by the end of January?

Anyway, some styles seen today: (See file name for retailer).

Ankle boots.

post-40-0-86731600-1380249158_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-79292400-1380249159_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-41061900-1380249163_thumb.jpg

Thigh boot:

post-40-0-17681600-1380249172_thumb.jpg

Courts:

post-40-0-69499800-1380249183_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-23333900-1380249184_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-89786000-1380249184_thumb.jpg 

Of those shown, I only tried on the Zara shoes. (Nice).

The River Island thigh boots were plasticky to the touch  :( and not something for me anyway, 

If/when I try the others, I'll write comments here.  :)

Nice choices. I would wear all of them. The shoes would be for indoors only though as I'm not one for wearing heeled shoes in public.

I have mentioned them before (as being a sly emulation of a £600 Saint Laurent boot), but I have coveted the $149 Steve Madden boot, called "Devil". Coveted it so much, I have been considering a US import to ensure I get the chance to try them on. They look, stunning! [iMO].

post-40-0-74413100-1380279011_thumb.jpeg

While trying to find a picture for something else (one of the styles above), I first discovered they are now being sold in the UK by Dune as part of their extended range. (Not my favourite place to buy as their shoes are VERY over-priced given the quality.)

I also found House of Fraser, a highly favoured store, has them too! With free delivery if ordered on-line (Dune want £3-25) HoF is likely to get a full-price sale very soon. >> Clicky <<

While on the subject of 'emulations', I wonder if the shoe makers selling their styles to Office, had these in mind?

post-40-0-08530000-1380279986_thumb.jpg

when offering these?  post-40-0-01280600-1380280058_thumb.jpg ??

I have mentioned them before (as being a sly emulation of a £600 Saint Laurent boot), but I have coveted the $149 Steve Madden boot, called "Devil". Coveted it so much, I have been considering a US import to ensure I get the chance to try them on. They look, stunning! [iMO].

attachicon.gifSteve Madden Devil.jpeg

With only 1 pair UK8's left in HoF on-line stock, I couldn't risk losing out so have ordered them on-line. Not my favourite method of purchase, as returns can be a bit fraught.

Anyway, I hope to have them in about a weeks time.  B)

With only 1 pair UK8's left in HoF on-line stock, I couldn't risk losing out so have ordered them on-line. Not my favourite method of purchase, as returns can be a bit fraught.

Anyway, I hope to have them in about a weeks time.  B)

Arrived Monday 30th.

I may have not mentioned, I also included a pair of these in the order, for completeness. Being the court version of the boot of course.  ;)

Before doing anything else, I tried these on. post-40-0-70207000-1380636030_thumb.jpg

As I'm walking around the bedroom and hallway, Mrs Freddy says; "Don't tell me, 'They fit like a glove?'"  :rolleyes: To which I have to reply, "Well actually, they do?" .....  :huh: And given the trouble she has had recently with wearing any sort of closed in shoe, it's probably not my best answer. :blink:

Then onto the main course as it were, the Devil boot. And a little disappointing.

Both shoe and boot have a ½" hidden platform. Both an extremely well padded footbed, that makes wearing the 5" heel a breeze. Dare I say, too easy?

The boot presses a little on the outside of my right big toe, but that's not unusual, as quite a number of my more pointed styles do that a bit. I paid HoF £89 for the boots, and over the weekend, Dune put their down to £69 which is a decent saving. Dune still have plenty of stock of the UK8's. Looking today, HoF have reduced their price to £69 too, though  they have no stock left of my size.  :rolleyes:

The court shoes were cheaper at HoF, as I bought during a store promotion, but not down by much. Originally £75 down to £67. [-10%?] As Dune has stock that HoF doesn't have, I'm not sure if I should wait in case I can save more money in a sale later on, at the risk of losing the style...

At this time, I'm not convinced about keeping the boots (after all). The boots I have are going back anyway because there's a fair saving of £20 if I buy at Dune, or even if I return them to HoF. But will I buy them again?

Either style are very wearable, either style could be worn all day, despite the 5" heel. Recommended!

For me though .... not enough budget for both ...... :huh: Which to have and keep?

Edited by FastFreddy2

They are nice shoes. I may need a better quality pair of 5" black court shoes.

You could do a lot worse, especially since the Office (Anouk) copies are sold out size 7. You'd have to have very small feet to get into a 6.  ;)

Edited by FastFreddy2

Had another try with both pairs of the Steve Maddens today.

Found the court shoe (Darrt) is a little on the big/long side. Because the heel 'cuffs' are shaped to hold a heel, my foot stays inside the shoe, at least if my foot is naked. If I get the chance, I might try a UK7 before these go back.

The Devil style boot, was less uncomfortable today. Looks like they have a 130mm heel, and a 15-20mm hidden platform, (depending on which side of the shoe is measured). Not overly long like the courts, but I think these are slightly more pointed. I'll try to do some pictures over the weekend.

Returned both pairs of shoes/boots tonight.

I'm not having a good time with returns .......  :(

I could have used the HoF free returns procedure. This involves putting some tape across the top of the opened box both pairs arrived in, tearing off my address label, and sticking on the supplied HoF returns label. After basically resealing/readdressing the package, I take it to any Post Office, and leave it there. I do have to get a "Proof of Posting" receipt from the PO, but that's the end of my input.   

Rather than do this easy thing, I stupidly do the hard thing. I take the package back by hand, to save HoF the cost of return carriage. Me thinking, this is a good thing to do? Okay, it wasn't going to be completely selfless. I intended to try a size 7 in the court shoe, and swap the 8 for a 7. This could save me £7-50, and basically pay for my shopping trip.

So..... I'm at HoF Oxford Street (London), the flagship store. I ask for, and get to try on the Darrt in a UK7. My foot goes in the shoe (so my foot is not too long), but the shoe feels like it has a size 4 toe box. I have slim feet, and I've only known one other person (woman) with slimmer feet, so I can be sure, almost any shoe will fit my toes even if the size is small on length. But these size 7's feel like they are going to crush my toes!

The conclusion then, is both pairs are going back. As soon as the 8 boots go back on the rack, (or back into stock), I'm buying them back at the lower price.

When I go to the counter, all is good. Shoes and boots unused, I have the dispatch note with all necessary details of the original transaction available for use. I've bought these online with a credit card, and I have my card with me. [This is unusual, as it never leaves the house, unless I need it to process a return, like tonight.] I'm asked to sign something, which I do. Card goes in the reader, another piece of paper is produced, which I'm also asked to sign (?)

This is where things go a bit bad ...... The assistant asks for 'proof of ID'. Now mindful I have no legal need to have this on me (and not even a policeman can request this either), I don't carry any proof of who I am. Since I am fairly careless, carrying a drivers license, or any other kind of license is a liability with no obvious benefit.

I say to her, no I don't have any. She says, "What about another card?" I say I only have one, (the one in her hand) and that seldom leaves the house either. She tells me, the signature on the card doesn't match the signature on the paper I've just signed.

Two things of note:

Firstly, some shops (could even be most shops) don't need any confirmation of cardholder present, they only need the card the original purchase was made on. Zara, for example, doesn't require the use of a PIN number. You just pop your card in the reader, and your 'returns' credit goes straight back on your card. Some other retailers want the PIN number, but that only assures the card holder is present. (Or someone who knows the PIN number - obviously.] 

Secondly, I am returning goods, not buying. I have the delivery note proving my purchase from HoF, which gives me the right to return the goods bought online back to their store. Since the delivery note allows the assistant to pull up a record of the original sale, she can see the method of purchase is credit card. Which I have - with my name which is the same as that on the delivery note.   

So I say, I'll sign my signature with my (reading glasses on), which I do on the top of the last piece of paper I signed. (While I'm doing this, she's plainly uncomfortable.) She say's it still doesn't match, so I then write my signature another 3 times on the delivery note. I ask her, what could be the problem? I'm bringing stuff back, not taking it away? Her reply is the usual B/S escape clause, "It's company policy". Finally she concedes, and I am given my refund printout from the till. She wants to keep the delivery note, but I tell her that's mine to take away. She copies some details, and I take that with me.

At this stage, I am flushed, and not very happy. Not only don't I buy back the boots I fully intended to buy, I leave the store completely. (With all my money.) 

Granted I'm naive about HoF procedures, but this is plainly a ridiculous situation. I can feel another complaint email coming on. :rolleyes:  

Granted I'm naive about HoF procedures, but this is plainly a ridiculous situation. I can feel another complaint email coming on. :rolleyes:  

Is this the start of a new hobby, complaint emails?  :smile:

Is this the start of a new hobby, complaint emails?  :smile:

Feels like it might be.  :(

Yesterday, while (finally) putting away 3 pairs of Marks and Spencer jeans bought earlier in the year, I had out a couple of pairs of boots to assess suitability. [Length of jean for height of heel.]

Just after Christmas I made some staggering savings on two pairs of TopShop boots. Stunning looking footwear, that went for £95 originally, which I got for £30. (Two pairs.) One of these were used for 'height suitability' as the heel is about the highest I have. The boots have a thin platform, with an even thinner hidden platform. The heels are 130mm with platform(s) coming in at 20mm, if I remember.

While hoofing the boots off, one shoe rattled. It seems the heel reinforcing rod that's usually used to stop the heel snapping, is loose inside the heel. I doubt the bar moves while in use (not enough momentum), but if the bar is lower than it should be, does that mean the heel might be prone to snapping? Should it be fixed (glued - bonded) into the footbed before the rest of the shoe is made?

As they are unworn, I won't have a warranty issue, as they would fail a "fit for purpose" test and there's no time limit on that. But I'd rather have the shoe anyway. I guess I'm going to have to take the advice of a local cobbler. (That'll be an interesting conversation.) I expect the upshot is going to be me having to return them for a refund.

The boot if from the "Premium" range too.  :rolleyes:

Not had any response from Schuh at all.

HoF have responded.

1. What is your account details (sent to the registered account email address)

2. Where did you return the order (having been told the order number- from which they ought to know where it was returned)?

I'm now told someone from the store will be in touch. I've advised them, it's a procedural issue, not a store issue. I've also pointed out, I've written to them 3 times, and so far gotten no-where.

Not done anything about the TopShop problem yet.

Not had any response from Schuh at all.

Response received. (Refer original thread.)

Nothing further from HoF.

Still nothing from HoF.

Might give them a ring tomorrow, or at the very least, contact the Customer Services "Manager" via email.

Some might be thinking ...... "What Customer Service?" I would be one of them....  :rolleyes:

Again, nothing from HoF.  :rolleyes:  Time for another email maybe? 

I'm just about to launch the Freddy Xmas Sale Drive. This is where I buy in a range of styles I might like to wear, before deciding which are suitable and which are not. Ironically, first two pairs are from AW2012 (if I remember). Both down from circa £160/£150,to £39 each.

ALDO have 2 pairs on the Xmas Sale list, and an on-line retailer called BooHoo (seen by me on an auction site) have 2 or 3 pairs I might order.

TopShop and River Island have both been a disappointment this year, and New Look has failed to interest me for just about a whole year now.  :blink:

The Steve Madden boots are a must, even at £69. I'd prefer the Saint Laurent version, but even in the Winter Sale, these are likely going to be marked down from £600 to £300 or £200. Even at £200, that's a lot of money for ankle boots I can't live in. :D   

Edited by FastFreddy2

Have heard back from HoF, after prompting them with a further email.

Apparently, a manager at the store has made some attempt to get in touch via telephone. No evidence of it here, so .... ?

My email count is up to about 14 so far. Think I'm wasting my time, but who knows. I've said I will wait by the telephone tomorrow, and have given them a 2 hour slot to ring. Not sure why anyone wants to talk to me? They've said they're sorry for the inconvenience, and the trouble I've had getting a suitable response from their complaints department. I've made it plain, all I want from the situation, is an easier in-store returns procedure. It's either changing (unlikely) or it isn't (very likely). Can't I be given this news via email? Especially since it's a route that works. [unlike the telephone calls they allege to have tried. :D ]

More soon. ;)  

Received an email last night saying my phone number don't work. I missed a call at 7.46pm, as the caller put the phone down as I picked it up. Seems this was the deputy store manager ringing.

I'd written back to mention the 2 hour slot booked today (Thursday), and maybe let the phone ring a little longer.....

So I've sat down doing not much else and waited for a phone call, from 10am to 12 noon as proposed. No call.

My email count now up to 16 or so, with 2 hours completely wasted. If there was ever any chance or a goodwill gesture to make me feel better about the whole thing (not my reason for complaining), we must be up at the "free week's holiday" level by now?  :D

Seriously, I'm surprised HoF are getting it so wrong!  :huh:

HoF finally got me at the end of phone last night. Had a nice chat with the Oxford Street Deputy Store Manager. As predicted, as nice as the chap was, he's not in a position to change anything. He fully agreed the in-store returns procedure was significantly more difficult than every other store, and he agreed it was significantly easier to buy than to return. BUT, other than push my complaint upward as a recommendation, there's nothing else he could do for me.

I pointed out to him I had written perhaps 18 emails to various [4 individuals I know of] which had taken some considerable time, and I had sat waiting for a call for 2 hours too. All to get the result I had expected "I can't do anything about it". 

He also recognised the returns procedure was likely a turn off for customers too. And agreed my point, it's in his interest to get more sales, not put people off. I mentioned HoF sell Phase Eight clothing, as do John Lewis. Why would I buy-to-try (at home) from HoF when returning to John Lewis is so much easier, if I need to make a return? (Plus J.L. do 90 day returns!)

I've been promised an update if there is one, but HoF is no longer the icon (to me) it used to be.  :(

Edited by FastFreddy2

The search for a replacement high heeled stiletto court continues .....

This looks the part but ...... Suede!     post-40-0-58201000-1384653174_thumb.jpg ..... and the price tag.

I've seen them close up though. Absolutely stunning heel. Perfect shape!  :wub: