Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Most Expensive "treat"?

I've mentioned before, I used to spend a lot of time out in the fields on a mountain bike. (Getting covered in mud, usually, often after falling off! :D )

I've very recently started cycling again, in a very small way. I like my bike, but I have a taste for something more exotic. I'm currently bidding on a used (but 'as new') bike, I expect the bidding to reach £950.

In the past, before I became a homeowner, I shelled out £520 for a Mamiya camera lens. [That incidentally, I've used twice.]

What's the biggest amount of money you've spent, on a hobby or personal interest? Anything that was an avoidable cost can be included. ;)

For example, buying a car, or a bedroom suite, aren't really avoidable. Buying a speedboat to sit behind the car, now that would be avoidable. :)

Edited by FastFreddy2

About £2000 on my avairy. The shed was about £600 the wire part was £1000 (both were custom made by seperate companies so they would join togeather) and then with creating an internal cage, nest boxes, perches, feed bowls, toys etc about £400.

I have repaird the concrete floor and roof recently and that must have cost another £300.

The birds cost £375 ( Jo, female african grey) and £600 (Jake, male african grey)

Edited by hh4evr1

My hobby is collecting old microcomputers and game consoles and now have a room devoted to it. It's been gradual but probably in it for well over £1000 too.

He was normal price, she was cheap as her 1st owner couldn't keep her, so returned her to the breeder. She was about one year old when they took her back and as most people want a baby (around 12 werks old ) the breeder was selling her for less.

One year old is young considering she could outlive me.

Edited by hh4evr1

I've very recently started cycling again, in a very small way. I like my bike, but I have a taste for something more exotic. I'm currently bidding on a used (but 'as new') bike, I expect the bidding to reach £950.

My bid of £795 won. Gobsmacked! :o

Not only bid, but now paid for. :huh:

And while I think about it, I now remember I bought (circa 2001) a Marin Rift Zone for £1000, that was originally, something like £1299. I got it cheaper as it was 'last years model', though I had already waited 2 years for the right colour and price point combination. I rode that bike once, around the block where I lived.

If I remember correctly, "Foot and Mouth" stopped me using it the first season I owned it. Then in 2002 I suffered a life changing injury, that did just that, it changed my life (and not for the better). Some years later I sold the bike at a significant loss, thinking I would probably never ride a bike again. It's been a long journey getting to where I am now, thinking it is possible - and safe to try.

I'm looking at riding this new purchase, rather like someone might 'get-back-on-the-horse'. One of the numerous steps I'm taking (and have taken) to get my life back.

Had a 5 miles ride over the weekend around paths and a park, and pretty much an 8 mile one yesterday, both on a nice but inexpensive bike. Already had my first re-experience with dog poop stuck in the tyres...... :angry: No wonder I like cats. :D No other dramas, and the 8 miles didn't seem hard either. Not bad after a 12 year hiatus.

The newer bike has a higher ride height and with the suspension travel it has, it'll enthuse me to do some of the more stupid things I used to do; like descend steep hills or traverse difficult (off-road) terrain. I have promised Mrs Freddy, I'll be using this one. B)

Edited by FastFreddy2

Would wearing heels help keep your feet on the pedals ?

Abit like heels helping keep feet in stirrups while riding a horse.

Would wearing heels help keep your feet on the pedals ?

I wish it did. But you're supposed to push down with the ball of your foot and your ankle at right-angles or even at a slightly more acute angle (to ensure you don't shorten your tendons I believe.)

As may be expected (since I do off-road), I ride a mountain bike. The saddle is usually positioned quite high, to maximise the low cross-bar. Were I to try peddling in a heel, I doubt my seat post would be long enough ..... :huh:

I do like the idea of cycling in a heel though. Somewhere in my photo albums, is a picture of a lady cyclist in a heel, stopped at traffic lights. I remember it well. ;)

My bid of £795 won. Gobsmacked! :o

Bike has been here 29 hours ..... and I haven't looked at it. Still boxed, hidden from me. Why?

If it's anything less than perfect, I will want to cry! :rolleyes:

If it's anything less than perfect, I will want to cry! :rolleyes:

Well, it was less than perfect..... So I cried ...... :(

It has some transit damage, that was inevitable given how it was packed. I think I pretty much found a way to accept each of the problems I found (although I still haven't fully unwrapped it) but ..... The seller is being "un-gentlemanly" (complete arsehole) about the problems caused by his expectation the package would remain horizontal. As it didn't remain horizontal, there's some minor damage. It didn't look minor initially, but after further investigation, thankfully it's not serious.

The owner is okay to have it back, and given his abusive attitude, I'm resigned to him having it back. :unsure: All a bit sad really.

The owner is okay to have it back, and given his abusive attitude, I'm resigned to him having it back. :unsure: All a bit sad really.

And because I didn't send it back promptly, he's now refusing to take it back. :rolleyes:

So I've raised a case with the auction company. :(

The seller will now accept it back, provided I give them a dispatch date.

Thing is, they will provide an address, but no name of the addressee. I can't book transport without a person to deliver to. :rolleyes:

Could an internet search of the address give a name.

I might have the family name from the payment email address, but even with a name, the seller has to agree a receipt date to ensure someone is about to take delivery. The shipping box is large, and weighs circa 20kgs.

If the seller doesn't respond, eventually I get their full details from the auction site anyway. But I'm still stuck with both parties agreeing a return date. Ironically, the very thing the seller claims he is chasing me for.  :huh:

Edited by FastFreddy2

FINALLY, the bike went back today.

Cost me £50 to return it, and may not be the best use of my meagre funds ...... But £800 on something I could not enjoy, seemed like a worse decision. It's been quite a bitter experience.

Mrs Freddy is pleased the huge container the bike stood in (and the bike) have left the building. It practically filled up all of the empty space in one of the ground floor rooms. 

All I need to do now, is wait for a refund ......

The (arsehole) seller didn't refund until I escalated the case to the auction management.  :rolleyes:  Once done, a refund was quite quickly made. He was a liar to the last, having promised me an "immediate refund on receipt and satisfactory check", I waited nearly a week for him to do a refund before using the auction 'procedures' to force a refund.  :angry:

The bike arrived (I subsequently found out when repacking) with corrosion on the eyelets of the spoked wheels, and discoloured paint from a user attached fixture that had chemically affected the paintwork. I also found more scuffing on the handlebars, through poor packing, added to the damaged seat and rear caliper I already knew about. "As new".  :rolleyes:

While the seller and I were 'in dispute', he said my recommendations on packing were "childish". This coming from a fella who bubble-wrapped the RUBBER tyres, but put nothing on the spokes, then left the wheels loose in the package.  :rolleyes: He also wrapped up the two metal pedals in tape, and left them loose in the package as well. The caliper was scuffed because he used aluminium covered pipe insulation as a packing filler. Movement from what would have been a 230 mile (if direct) journey minimum, had unprotected parts damaged during the journey as the aluminium skin scratched parts while it moved around inside the package.

When re-packed, every part on the bike had at least two layers or shrinkwrap to prevent chaffing. Every part had been wrapped in 2 to 4 layers of 12mm bubble-wrap. All the bubble-wrap was held secure by tape (4 rolls) and re-shrinkwrapped. The spoked wheels were fully protected, supported, and taped/shrinkwrapped to the bike frame. Nothing could move. Protruding parts (forks, cranks) had addition packing material taped and shrinkwrapped in place. The pedals were secured in place too. A bucket of hardcore could have been been left in the large packing box, and nothing would have been damaged.  :D

I even labelled the packing box to ensure it was transported upright as it should have been originally. (The original package was delivered on its end, and may have caused some of the scuffing on unprotected parts). Even the packing box was shrink-wrapped and taped twice:P

It took a loooooong time to pack, but I could be sure that unless a vehicle drove over the package, the bike would arrive back in the same condition it arrived here, without any further transit damage. I could also be sure, it would take the better part of an hour to unwrap the bike again.  ;)

Mrs Freddy has banned me from (immediate) further bike purchases ......  :huh:

I drove 160 miles (one way) yesterday to view a bike with the expectation I was going to buy it. In lovely nick, got all the paperwork .... Sadly, it was just too big. I have arms long enough to qualify me as 'part-monkey', but even my arms weren't long enough for this bike.

Drove 160 miles back home, with money still locked in dash of car...... Oh well..... :(  

Still looking .....

Went to see a bike advertised at £1600 (well over priced) some 40 miles away. Bit of a journey through gridlocked East London, but worth the journey.

Bike was in very good nick given it's 3 year age. Almost no use at all. Lovely fella (and girlfriend) selling, but he couldn't let it go for anything near it's actual worth, as he couldn't live with the financial loss over what he paid for for it new. I can't say I blame him, completely understandable. BUT, unless he keeps the bike for 20+ years, it's only going to be worth less money with every passing year ....  :(

He is hoping I will up my offer, but I can't justify spending £1400 on a bike I can buy for (a lot) less elsewhere, so I've left an offer for him to mull over. I know of a similar bike, a year younger, for £850. I may just buy the less expensive of the two.  ;) Though £850 is still a lot of money for a 'used' bike .....  :huh:

Heard back from the £1600 bike sellers.

They'd downgraded their minimum price from £1500, to £1350. Given a second, nearly identical bike to theirs has appeared on an auction site for £850, I also downgraded my offer too.  :( For those with poor math skills, there's a £500 difference between their minimum price, and the second bike offered for sale. Waaaay too much for any realistic chance of a compromise, so I've suggested they get £500's worth of use out of their bike, before trying to sell it on (at a price the market would see favourably).

I am still thinking about the 'other' £850 bike. It's not on an auction site, and it's sitting about 120 miles away.  :huh:

I bought a brand new version of the 'other' bike for £800 delivered. Slightly large for me, but riser bars should help with that. The original sticker price was £1599, so quite a good reduction I thought? Plus I get the full warranty included. 

All I need now, is some dry weather. It's an all-weather bike, but it doesn't (yet) have an all-weather owner.  :D

Update:

This is the first of probably 3 or 4 posts with virtually the same remark ......

"Rain stops play."

February isn't looking much better. Some counties will experience a whole months rain in one day .... 

As we in the UK now know, the 2013/2014 Winter/Spring was the wettest on record. Consequently, I didn't use the bike I bought in December last year at all during that period.

By the time the rains had subsided, the super-duper £800 bike had become a confirmed ornament. From about late August/early September it was put on sale at a well known auction site because I realised I was never going to ride it. Why? Seems that while I like owning nice new things, I prefer to own the new things rather than use them. Shouldn't be a surprise to me really, my current car only had delivery mileage on it for the first year ..... (Duh.)

Recently I bought a third bike, that is/was used when I bought it. It's got marks on it already, signs of use!! I'm aghast, but it'll get used. In fact it looks more used than the hard-tail I've owned for 4 ..... 5 years? (That I'll be putting up for sale soon too). The thinking is I won't be reluctant to use something that already isn't in perfect nick.

So a couple of days ago, I finally sold my lovely £800 bike, for £750. It was a good price really, given what I know about the bike now .... The rear disc wasn't completely flat (as supplied) and produced a squeak that will only ever disappear by being replaced. If it doesn't go when the disc is replaced, then the caliper will need to be replaced. Neither one is super expensive to change, but it would make it "non-standard" and could affect the outstanding warranty. The new owner seemed very pleased with their purchase. He thought I was nuts persuading him to take it home inside his vehicle, rather than on the boot mounted rack. (It was raining!) He promised me, my lovely bike is going to get fairly dirty, fairly often. As it was made to be I suppose.

Anyway, I've now agreed to Mrs Freddy's request, I stay away from new bikes. (Yes dear.  ;) )

Anyway, I've now agreed to Mrs Freddy's request, I stay away from new bikes. (Yes dear.  ;) )

Beginning to think I may not be able to sell my 'used' bike this close to Christmas. Shame, as I've already priced up it's replacement...... Giant Talon with 27.5 (650b) wheels.  :D