Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

Dream Shoes/boots.

I haven't spent much time writing here recently, nor have I been out much. Poor management of my time and energy (by me of course) largely responsible for both.

Last Friday, 5th July, had me in London's West End. I wanted to go to two shops, as both were open very late. House of Fraser until 10pm, Selfridges until 11pm. Maybe to catch the Wimbledon visitors from abroad?

I tried on a couple of pairs of Steve Madden in HoF. Decided their US9.5 (UK7) fit better than US10/UK8, if I ever plan to wear one of their court shoes. [Refer my next post.]

In Selfridges, I tried on the most expensive shoes I've ever had on my feet. Two styles from Saint Laurent. Both ankle boots. One pair reduced to £389, another pair reduced to £430 something. Got some possibly unwanted attention from a member of staff, though she might have been waiting for me to ask for the other shoe of the two styles I tried. At those prices, an unlikely request.....

I can't find an image of the £430+ pair (similar/same heel, with gusset/zipper free suede upper that went above the ankle), but here is a picture of the less expensive pair:

post-40-0-94554900-1373330895_thumb.jpg

Pretty typical of my taste I know. ;):D The EU41 fitted rather well, and not too hard to walk in either. In fact, when I put my walking shoe back on (with 4¼" heel) I nearly slipped because the heel didn't touch the floor when I expected it to? :huh::D Thankfully I didn't have my credit card with me. Not that I could imagine keeping them of course, :rolleyes: but ....... :wub:

Really felt nice on and walking in. Just had a tiny little triangle of pointed toe sticking out the front of my black jeans. (Both style of boot.) I went away wondering ... dreaming .....

Reality hit hard about 40 minutes later though. Having done the window shopping, the warm night seduced me me into changing my footwear and walking around in some really nice stiletto heeled ankle boots. More of a challenge from the extra height on the heel, and a nicer feel to the slightly more 'girlie' style.

Right up until one of my heels went into a crack in the pavement! :angry: Although I'd marked a heel on this pair before (same geographical area, same cause), I wasn't prepared for the complete removal of heel covering the other shoe got. "Will I never learn"? Ran through my mind. I was only about 100 yards from where I completely lost my first set of stiletto boots with the same problem, and only about 800 yards from where I had previously graunched the pair I was wearing that night. This was only the second (or third) time of wearing them out too! It (literally) took the shine off what had been a great evening until that moment. :(

The experience certainly burst my Saint Laurent bubble. To wear a £600 shoe, I would first have to find a £600 venue for them. The pavements of Oxford Street, could never qualify. :rolleyes:

Edited by FastFreddy2

Nice outing in heels apart from catching your heel.

Both pairs you tried on sound nice.

Like the photo too.

The sales person may have been waiting to see if they could make a sale or they may not have seen a man trying on heels.

Edited by hh4evr1

I understand your frustration. The walkways of Downtown Dallas are the same way. So many seams, cracks, and gratings that you really have to watch where you're walking.

I almost tripped on a Ft. Worth layover last week! Somehow saved myself before falling...

I tried on a couple of pairs of Steve Madden in HoF. Decided their US9.5 (UK7) fit better than US10/UK8, if I ever plan to wear one of their court shoes. [Refer my next post.]

I have mentioned THE Giuseppe Zanotti metal style heel elsewhere.

As a reminder of the shoe/heel ..... post-40-0-67169300-1373422450_thumb.jpg

A tad rich for me, given I already have a handful of court shoes I don't wear. :rolleyes: However, no point in being a collector, if you don't collect? ;):D So imagine my (pleasant) surprise, when I find Steve Madden makes a style that's been referred to as something a little too close to the original. [aka copy.]

What do you think? post-40-0-18037100-1373422875_thumb.jpg

And the price!! :o At the time of finding, they were available in my size too. B)

BUT!!! Mr Madden doesn't ship abroad, and no other retailer carries the style. :(:unsure: "Gutted".

I understand your frustration. The walkways of Downtown Dallas are the same way. So many seams, cracks, and gratings that you really have to watch where you're walking.

I almost tripped on a Ft. Worth layover last week! Somehow saved myself before falling...

I have two solutions so far, if I want to continue to use stiletto's in London's West End. Obviously I mean "Heel Protectors".

One style I quite liked to start with was a product called Plastic Fantastic right up until I realised it was nothing more than electrical 'heatshrink' insulation. Not seen any in clear at Maplins or RS, though I haven't looked very hard. Be nice to find some in 'shiny'. ;) This is the short term solution, as it's cheap. (And what have I got to lose? :D )

The nicer, more industrial grade solution comes from Idealheel, and seems to tick every box.

BUT!!! Like the Steve Madden shoes, US sales easy, European purchase a bit more difficult. :(

Heatshrink it is then. ;):P:D

Looks like a good copy. I wasn't keen on metal heels initially, but I have been liking them more and more. A pair may have to join my collection soon.