Sign in to follow this  
FastFreddy2

New Member Of The 'family' ......

I mentioned some time ago, we fostered a kitten, that didn't go very well. While the intention was never (fully expected) to be we kept it, we all expected it to be here for longer than the 7 or 8 days we had it here.

Upshot of the experience .... Mrs Freddy decided she had lost her desire to own one, and even owning one temporarily.

So, how surprised were we, when we agreed to take on another, that looked to come with cat flu'? Apparently, cats with this illness respond to treatment quite often, but have to be kept away from other cats as they remain infectious even during treatment. Our initial offer was for 2 weeks of care.

As soon as I saw the animal, I knew it was going to be difficult to let it go. Initially thought to be a girl cat, it turns out to be a fella. Just as well a mistake was made, as the two drunks offering two cats to the vets (at a price) didn't want to keep any girl cats. They took away the other boy cat, and I can be fairly confident it's life was short, or uncomfortable, or both. :(

The cat we took on was scared of everything when it arrived, eluding to an unhappy life so far. It took the better part of a week to stop it running away to hide everytime someone walked up or down the stairs. Even now, some 6 or so weeks later, it will still check anyone walking into the room. :unsure:

So, the cat stayed then. A bit of a fluff ball at first, so cute it could have made the cover of a birthday or anniversary card, it still seems a pretty cat to us.

Worse for me, it treats me like its mother, and seldom leaves my side. If I pick up a paintbrush, the cat HAS to watch the proceedings. If I mix up some filler, the cat has to taste it, the first chance it gets. I've had to stop it licking the stuff I've just put on the wall, more than once. I have no end of (poor quality phone) pictures, with him sat on my bended knees, watching me paint or render. He likes walking into floor voids between joists. He's no fear of the dark, or dark places, as long as they're quiet.

His favourite places to sleep are (i) my lap (ii) top of a temporary fabric wardrobe (that he wall walks to get up on) and (iii) my head. :huh:

One of his favourite toys, is a large bright yellow tennis ball, which is larger than his entire head. Doesn't stop him picking it up with his teeth, and carrying it from room to room. He's yet to realise he's 'punching above his weight'. :D

We think he's a little confused, and may think he's a squirrel. I've twice seen him try to climb brick walls. He jumps further than he should be able, and is daft enough to try jumps beyond his ability (at the moment). Once he learned he had to jump on-top of smooth surfaces (as they couldn't be used for grip by his claws) he learned to cleanly jump on top of low surfaces, like the stool I stand on when working high in rooms. I have to be careful where I stand now, as there's usually two of us on the stool.

When the toilets get flushed, he's usually on top the closed lid. He has an unnatural fascination (given he's a cat) with running water. Turn on the kitchen tap, the cat will stand at your feet, waiting to be shown the sink filling with water? There is a hole in our garden patio for a clothes dryer. It almost always has water in it. The cat can't stop himself putting both front paws in the water EVERY time it goes into the garden. :huh: Sometimes twice in one visit outside? I daren't leave any water intended for mixing filler or cement anywhere he can get at it, because he will want to taste it. If I wash my tools in a large bucket after I've used them, the cat has to watch.

I'm not big on pets, having had my heart broken when I've lost 'friends'. First time was as a 15 year old, losing our dog we'd had since I was about 3. No-one warned me, it just didn't come home from the vets. When I got home from school I asked after our pet, only to be told the awful truth. I cried for hours. :(

The next time was not so long ago. Maybe 5 or 6 years. A cat I'd sort of adopted in the new house I moved into. I spent a lot of time being nice to him, and he in turn spent a lot of time being nice to me. When it became obvious he was ill, I did what I could to keep him alive, eventually hand feeding him the best (cat) food money could buy. When we decided he was too ill to continue, I had the vet visit, rather than stress him out during his last minutes alive. He passed in my arms, and even now the memory brings me to tears. That cat (despite what some will tell you about cats) loved me as much as any human has, and I suppose I loved him too.

So, I wan't going to put myself through that again. :(

We've got this one because Mrs Freddy wanted something (someone) to 'coo' over. Age is against us for a child, and the grandson is waaaay too young. :D So the kitten was something (someone) for her to fuss over. Unfortunately for me, he looks just like the cat I lost, and I've even called him by the same name once or twice. :huh: And like my previous cat-friend, the only time this cat isn't next to my side while I'm at home, is when he's having his regular afternoon sleep on top of the temporary wardrobe.

Worse still, we've both been feeling a tad guilty at leaving him alone. [Yes, I know it's a cat!] So there's been talk about a second kitten..... :o

No wonder I don't get things done ...... :huh:

Edited by FastFreddy2

A second kitten may be a good idea. They could play togeather, while you work. It seams as though the one you have prefers you to Mrs Freddy. So another one may be needed for her to coo over.

Your kitten has nearly learnt to fetch if it already carries a ball. I know afew people whos cat fetched a toy when thrown.

My kitten (died about 5 years ago) used to love playing with a ping pong ball in a box for ages. Good for when I was out or busy. I also hid her dry food so she had to search for it.

Toy spiderr attached witth string to a stick was her favourite and could be used to help use up her excess energy. They have some good toys in Pets At Home.

Edited by hh4evr1

The previous foster cat had the 'fetch' game worked out on day 3. He would have had me playing it for hours if I let him. :huh:

The newer arrival will chase, but then try to kill. Not so good at returning anything...

The second toy we bought him was a red ping-pong ball. He really liked it too, as it rolls easily. Not seen it for about 2 weeks now. He used to get it locked into corners, and has obviously found a corner we haven't yet discovered. We've been to a couple of P-a-H stores, a couple of others. The ping-pong ball is the only thing he's played with for more than 2 days without getting a bit fed up with it. LOVES screwed up paper balls, which I suppose doubles up for a p/p ball.

He has some odd eating habits too. Never known a cat to eat mandarin orange, but this one will. ;) Also likes Nature Valley cereal bars, and will tear your arm off to get at rice pudding. Quite partial to Doritos too. :)

Edited by FastFreddy2

They can be a bit strange at times. Ping pong ball in a litter tray of water was one of my kittens strange likings.

This was an accidental finding after her ball landed in her drinking water. I was out at the time, but my parents said she tried to get the ball out with her paw for ages. I got another spare litter tray and put water in it and another ball. She loved it.

Edited by hh4evr1

They can be a bit strange at times. Ping pong ball in a litter tray of water was one of my kittens strange likings.

This was an accidental finding after her ball landed in her drinking water. I was out at the time, but my parents said she tried to get the ball out with her paw for ages. I got another spare litter tray and put water in it and another ball. She loved it.

Thinking about it ......

I have some video of the newly arrived kitten, trying to play with a bit of fluff in a bowl of water. It hadn't occurred to me to try a p/p ball in a dish with water. ;)

Cat has a thing for water too? Loves a running tap (sits by the sink waiting for someone to pick him up so he can watch). Also likes to listen to the toilet cistern to fill up, and now he's big enough to jump on top of the closed seat, he tries to touch the running water. :huh: I have a picture of him sitting on my painting stool, watching me bathe in what is now our old bath. He's deffo not quite the full ticket. :D

I think a while back i heard/read about a certain breed of domestic cat that likes water as apposed to most cats who hate water.

When I got my kitten in a few books I got on kitten/cat care it said that when a kitten is naughty give it a little squirt with a water. But that may not work on your kitten.

I'm not sure why my post is split in two. It was done as one post.

Edited by hh4evr1

Our cats have a strange attraction to bleach! I don't know if it is like cat nip to them...We have to be so careful when cleaning, am so afraid they might lick it up...

The oldest of three loves olives, doesn't really eat them, just rolls in them...I guess like catnip..

The youngest little girl loves barbecue chips also..

I thought that oranges were harmful to cats, better be careful letting yours eat mandarin oranges...

Now, we are trying to find a Trap/neuter/return organization to stop the feral population explosion in the neighborhood...

The oldest of 15yrs belongs to my partner, it will be very tough when he passes...

I thought that oranges were harmful to cats, better be careful letting yours eat mandarin oranges...

My cat ate some of my orange tonight, much to my surprise. Before reading your comment, I might add.

Did a check, and it would seem everything is bad for cats, except "meat". An interesting statement, since they are not big enough to fell cows, sheep, pig, or deer. That pretty much leaves rodents and small birds? Mindful the bacteria in and on these would likely make a human sick, I'd expect a cats gut to be quite strong?

The anomaly aside, I have been getting told off by Mrs Freddy for feeding the cat anything. Sweet stuff is going to rot his teeth (good call). Dairy is going to make him fat, as is corn chips (Doritos). Having checked the cat 'danger' list, chocolate if now off the menu. Oranges/Mandarin does seem to be that much of a problem (nothing specific) other than it isn't meat. The cat gets about a quarter to a half a teaspoon once every 2-3 weeks. Nothing adverse to date, not even in the toilet department where a problem was expected.

Conversely, it appears he took a fall of 21 feet last week, with no identified problem than a grazed face. (Thankfully.) We'd had the windows open because it's finally warmed up here. Neither of us let the cat into the garden, and wouldn't after dark anyway. I went to the back door around 10pm, and found kitty outside. THE ONLY way he could be outside, would be to take a 21 foot slip/jump/fall out of a window. I felt guilty as hell, as it was likely me who closed the window behind him, if he hadn't already fallen off the thin ledge outside. For some reason he's no "meow", so couldn't make a distress call even if he was still out there. It being dark, I wouldn't have seen him if he was there either. The window blind was closed, and as I didn't expect him out there, I wouldn't have even thought to look.

Him being young and nimble as a squirrel, must have helped. Seems cats can survive quite high falls, not least because height gives them a better chance to land well, though it's not something we want him to repeat! He's more closely monitored now, and we keep THAT window closed when he's not directly supervised.

Your 15 year old might have a few years left yet! My mother-in-laws cat is over 20. Though you are right, it'll be very tough when he passes. It's strange (to me at least) how we get so close to our 'pets'. That said, they provide great affection that doesn't wane over time. Don't shout or get into moods ..... Quite keen to play, any time of the day ..... In fact, who would want human company with a pet around? :D

Edited by FastFreddy2

My kitten (before she had had all her injections, so still very young) got out of my bedroom window and slipped, fell or jumped to the ground. She was unhurt. I made a frame and covered it in fine wire and put it in the open window space. That way the window could be open without her getting out.

Edited by hh4evr1

I made a frame and covered it in fine wire and put it in the open window space. That way the window could be open without her getting out.

I have in mind to do something similar. (i) to keep cat safe (ii) to let cool air in and keep the bugs out. Mrs Freddy has a pathological dislike of spiders and crane flies, with me feeling pretty much the same way about mosquito's.

Normally I wouldn't need to worry. Since just about the only time the cat leaves my side, is to have his afternoon nap on top of that temporary wardrobe. This time, something I was doing in the bathroom scared him (not hard) and he bolted into the bedroom. Things were quiet for a while, and I was busy. When I looked around the bedroom for him prior to closing the windows, because turning on the lights would start attracting bugs from outside, there was no sign of him. I did wonder where he was, but I had no concept of him venturing outside - none at all. He'd previously been reluctant to go on windows sills having been scared once, by a passing car!!?? We'd wrongly assumed for him, they were "no go" areas. We've learned our lesson. If he's awake and moving around the house, any window he could reach gets closed.

Glad to hear your kitten survived too. Can be a hard lesson learned if they get hurt falling from height.

We have two cats, the eldest is around 15 years old and we got him when someone moved from a second floor flat, where he was regularly jumping out of the windows, to a 4th floor flat and they feared he'd start losing his 9 lives quickly. The other is only a little younger, so both old men now. They took well to the dog when we introduced her ;-)

We have two cats, the eldest is around 15 years old and we got him when someone moved from a second floor flat, where he was regularly jumping out of the windows,

Read that out to Mrs Freddy. Her response; "Sounds like he was trying to find a new home?" Which he got. ;)B)

The kitten is now (almost) a cat. He's not quite full-grown, and doesn't know he's a cat.

Well entrenched as one of the family, so I begin to understand why the vets tend to use the family name too, when referring to a pet. He remains timid, which has its uses more often than not, but there are handicaps.

He loves being outside the front of the house. The terrain is varied, and there's lots of places to hide. Under parked cars is a favourite, as is a small group of bushes. [Which he has put to good use when I've gone looking for him.] Thankfully, he'll appear when called, so we haven't lost him yet. It's a dangerous place though. I have discussed the purchase of a harness, and length of rope that is short enough to keep him on our front garden...... Everyone in the family thinks I'm nuts ..... But I've administered the coup de grace to a much loved family pet that felt the weight of a Range Rover on him, and it's not something I want to experience again. I allow the cat out the front, but only when I'm there too.

The back garden is a different scenario entirely. We've fencing or hedges around the garden, but I know he could climb the 6ft fence at the bottom of the garden any time he wanted. So far, no sign of wanting. He's usually loathe to be there alone though. Out the front, he's fine wandering, out the back, he wants company. If it's dark, he's a little more comfortable alone, but still comes back in every 10 to 15 minutes to check we are about. This procedure will have to end soon, as it's getting too cold to have an outside door open.

He's not into using the outside for a toilet though. He's done one or two No.1's outside, but still prefers his tray inside. I'm hoping that will change. He makes to go outside -digs a hole- but comes inside to do the deed. Weird.

He's still a cutie though. Loves sitting on my lap when it suits him, and sleeping with his head cupped in my hand. Has to keep a front leg over my arm though? It's like he's holding on.  ;)  Still follows me everywhere, which again, is a mixed blessing. I was taping around the bath a couple of night ago, getting it ready to apply some silicone sealer. Cat would not let me finish the job, wanting to play 'catch me' as he ran around the edge of the (empty) bath I was sitting in. Which reminds me .... About a month ago, when I was waiting for the sealer to go off between the bath and the wall, with the bath half full of water..... the cat thought the water was solid. He got a real shock finding himself in 5 inches of cold water.  :huh:  Took me about 20 minutes to first find the cat to dry him off a bit, then dry the wall and floors in the bathroom. He's been a lot more wary of the bath when it has water in it since.  :D

Our younger cat (still around 15 we think) recently had to be put down, he had a good innings and was well cared for but he was just old and became infirm and unable to move without obvious pain. The other, older cat, is still around though and leaving fur everywhere.

Sounds like you have been adopted by the cat, and he has you doing his bidding already Freddy. 

Sounds like you have been adopted by the cat, and he has you doing his bidding already Freddy. 

I think the praise goes ... "Dogs have owners, cats have staff." This one has.

There are times when he will stand or sit by his tray, and make what I can only call a whiny noise? What he's after, is someone to clean out his litter tray, so he can use a 'fresh' one. I can't tell you the amount of times I've cleared out his business, only to have him immediately I've finished, go into the tray and make it dirty again.

The cat all but talks. For perhaps the first 3 of the 4 months he's been here, we never got a noise from him at all. Then over a period of about a week, he learned to 'meow', though it's never been a full-bodied one. Usually he talks by a sound that's akin to a long purr that tapers upward. Mrs Freddy says, he doesn't know he's a cat, he thinks he's one of us.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. Sounds like there was no choice about letting the poor thing go. Given some cats (like the mother-in-laws) can last 20+ years, this one might see me out.

The cat's training of me continues.....

If he's hungry and his food bowl is empty, the drill is he meows, looks at the bowl and looks back. In the unlikely event I play hard to get, he will come over and purr loudly in my ear. If I'm standing, he will rub me with his body until I dig some food out of his munch bag.

Same too with his litter tray. If it's been used (about 4 to 6 times a day), he will 'meow' and lay down next to the tray until it's emptied. He knows if the litter is flat, the tray has been cleaned. If the litter is piled (and often tossed over the floor) it's been used and needs clearing out (for him).

He's a reasonably big fella now too, at 5.3kgs and I'm sure he still has some growing to do. If his appetite is anything to go by anyway.

It's not all good news though.....

The warm weather is here, and the cat loves being outside. He's still not climbing, but he has managed to escape into the neighbour gardens on either side. Three weeks ago, he managed to grab a blackbird. The outcome was not good as the bird was alive when I caught it but not in great shape. The cat was grounded for 2 days afterward.

Today, I found a complete -what looks to be untouched- wren on the patio. The cat isn't currently listed as the guilty party, but suspicions are high.... Not really sure what to do next. I had thought he be given a collar with a bell, but a cat wearing a collar isn't 100% safe for the cat. Plus, do I (or Mrs Freddy) want to listen to a bell ting-a-linging during the night? I know he gets up to use his tray sometimes, and he likes to eat at night too. Not sure if there's a third option?

Edited by FastFreddy2

We too have a cat a female it is a feral cat it came from a farm in Cornwall, it's now 14 years old. My daughter wanted it so how can I say no. it's like a little tiger no way can you stroke it or pick it up, it will snarl and sink its teeth into the back of your hand at lighting speed evil little sod but we put up with it. Bad side is I am told feral cats live longer than normal cats, I will wait and see on that one. Your story of your cat getting a bird made me laugh a bit, quite some time ago I was round a friends house and his cat had a bird and I said to him you will not get that bird off your cat, want a bet he said with that he picked up the cat and threw it in the fish pond, cat got very wet and the bird flew away easy he said. I was not amused but it did the trick I said you have done that before once or twice he replied.

Forgot to mention our cat does have it's funny sides like it can hear a spider walking across the carpet it's on it like a rocket even when it's two rooms away. Also if I am playing some loud music and I mean quite loud bit of Queen or War of the Worlds etc if I open a foil sweet or rattle a bit of kitchen foil it's next to you like a flash and I have to make it into a ball and throw it, it gets it and brings it back like dog. She is also brilliant at catching flies takes a bit of time but always gets them in the end.

I was not amused but it did the trick I said you have done that before once or twice he replied.

Of course I shouldn't have found that funny, but the delivery of the punchline did make me laugh.....  ;)  :D

Forgot to mention our cat does have it's funny sides like it can hear a spider walking across the carpet it's on it like a rocket even when it's two rooms away. Also if I am playing some loud music and I mean quite loud bit of Queen or War of the Worlds etc if I open a foil sweet or rattle a bit of kitchen foil it's next to you like a flash and I have to make it into a ball and throw it, it gets it and brings it back like dog. She is also brilliant at catching flies takes a bit of time but always gets them in the end.

Given the original background to how we got the cat, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find it's mother was feral.

Like yours, he has unbelievable hearing. He can hear a Doritos pack being opened while we are at the front of the house, and he is in the garden. He thinks the microwave 'pinger' means scraps-r-us, and can be asleep anywhere, sound of the pinger will bring him into the kitchen. He's always up for a bit of rough-and-tumble. As there are a couple of 'bruiser' grade cats around where we are, I've tried to help him learn how to use his claws and teeth. There have been times when Mrs Freddy thought I might have tried my luck at pruning thistle bushes without gloves, my hands were so cut and bloodied. The training seems to have worked. Last week he ran half the length of the garden to launch his mouth and claws at my arm. "That'll teach me" I thought as he nearly knocked me over! But loud noises, especially piston engined aircraft and helicopters - will have him running for cover. :huh:  Feral background maybe, something I hadn't considered before?

He's very loyal though. Unless he's in the garden, he won't be far from me. As a kitten he used to sleep on my head, or on my pillow with me. He's too big for that now, so tends to sleep on the bottom of the bed where my feet should be. He might get up for food, but is always asleep on the bed when I wake up, and doesn't get off the bed until I do. This has its down side of course. I don't go to the toilet alone any longer. I can't do any DIY without a spectator, and the cat likes tasting paint. :rolleyes:   :D There was a time when, anytime I walked through the front door, he would come and greet me. Didn't want picking up, but he would greet me with a 'meow' and a leg rub. More recently, he greets me and immediately runs to the back door so he can go into the garden. (He's not allowed outside anywhere, without supervision.)

We've never encouraged him to wander into the neighbours gardens, as one-sde is very anti. They love their garden, and have experience of cats using their flower beds as a toilet. Our cat doesn't like doing his business anywhere other than in his tray, so it's not a worry for me, but the neighbour I'm thinking of just sees cats as poop machines. ANYWAY, despite being welcome on the other side as they love cats, we've done what we can to keep him on our side of the fences. In the past two weeks, the cat has discovered he can climb one fence if he uses it as a ladder. He's not good at jumping, but it seems he can practically walk up a wall ..... He has been grounded a number of times, having been discovered next door. :o He's over there chasing the mice they have living in an old wooden shed. We actually saw one of them going back home across the back of our garden one afternoon, Our cat just watched it. :rolleyes:   ;) 

He does love to chase bugs. Seems he spends most of the dry evenings in the garden, chasing moths and other flappy things, eating whatever he catches. He'd love to get at the hedge hog that wanders around a garden two doors down, the noise of it mooching around their overgrown garden drives him nuts. Fortunately, he hasn't worked out out to climb the fence on that side .... yet.  B) The hedge hog has nothing to worry about of course, but I don't want kitty bringing home ticks that could bite us!  ;)  

My, how things have changed ....

Spring of 2015, the cat learned to jump, and jump good. I had mentioned he thought he was a squirrel, but he's much better in most respects. (Thankfully not at climbing trees.)  Getting up and over 6ft fences is done in the blink of an eye. We think him watching two other local cats, or following them, got him the idea. I've seen him run and jump over a 3ft fence as if a race horse in a steeple chase. B) His paws might have touched the fence, but his touch so light the fence didn't move.

With this new ability, came the taste for using mud for his toilet. There is a large semi-derelict flower bed in a communal area the other side of our garden fence. It's the cats private loo. I've cut a hole in the back gate, so he doesn't need to climb to access it. He never uses the litter tray in the house. I wish I had his bladder control. The tray is always left were it was, ready for use but it doesn't get his attention at all. One wet day recently, he was inside for 14 hours, and didn't use his tray. I'm not sure I can manage 5 hours!    

He is a hunter. Still chases bugs, moths and butterflies. He's quite the mouser too. Brought home 5 or 6 during the summer of '15. I've watched him. He can hear them, and just waits and waits and waits. Fortunately, he doesn't do the same with birds, though Mrs Freddy screamed "he's caught a pigeon" during the summer. By the time I got to the back garden, only the cat with a mouthful of grey feathers was present. I swear he was smiling. ;) I'm pretty sure the pigeon was suicidal. Birds are usually way too smart for our cat, he's too fond of the waiting bit. (You can sometimes hear the cogs whirring.) That pigeon must have thrown itself at the cat. :huh:

He still follows me everywhere, except the bathroom - at least when I'm in the bath. Me sitting on the loo does not guarantee solitude; "well why do have a lap if it's not for me to lay on?" Must think the cat.  My defence is, he's so timid, I don't want to refuse him anything. He doesn't worry about overhead aircraft any longer, but any noise scares the bejeesus out of him. I've known him growl after hearing the door knocker. Doorbell, will have him run upstairs. Loud noises, he will run anywhere as long as it's away. So if he wants to sit on me, while I'm 'busy', I pull my trousers up and he lays on my lap. (Well, it's not like I'm too busy to let him.) Little more than a month ago, he got so comfy, he actually started sleep-wheezing. 

Although here in the second half of his third year, he's only been scolded once. And all my fault, apparently.

When the cat was more of a kitten, he would sometimes climb my trouser (jeans) to get up at me. Often to see what I was doing at the kitchen counter. Although now a grown cat, he still does the same thing. He's so long outstretched, that his back legs are barely off the ground as his front paws reach my waist. So, once he's stretched up my leg, I now raise my leg upward resting it on the counter for support. (Supple, see.) He then lays along my leg, watching what I'm doing, often preparing food. He is never allowed anywhere near food prep areas. He was (ahemm) never allowed on any kitchen surfaces either. Not until I thought I'd worked out a solution to him watching me anyway. I thought I could train him to sit on a worktop that isn't used for food prep, positioned so he could watch without me doing the splits. It worked. It meant disinfecting the worktop after use, but it's not like this doesn't get done from time to time anyway. He learned he had a place he could sit to watch, and he knew he wasn't to go anywhere else. We know dogs can be trained. so can cats!

So, clever cat can jump, clever cat knows his spot. 

One day, our dumb cook leaves partially prepared food on the cats bit of worktop, then the fool walks over to the sink to use it. Hearing 'slurp slurp slurp', the idiot at the sink turns 180 degrees to see the cat eating the dinner originally destined for 'the help'. :angry: Grabbing a washed up butter lid, drying prior to going into the recycling bin, the stupid cook used it as frisby to reprimand the cat. It was a bad time to realise unknown skills. The lid caught the cat amidships, a direct hit, scaring the bejeesus out of the cat as required. The cat leapt off the counter (also as required) and exited the kitchen at some rate of knots. Unfortunately, the dish containing the (now spoiled) food was sufficiently unbalanced by the speedy exit of a 5kgs cat, that it too left the counter. Hard to accurately describe the ensuing carnage, but suffice to say, a food blender without a lid could not have spread the food further.

The cat returned sometime later, obviously after all the clearing up was complete. I got all the blame for the incident. The cat has not attempted to reclaim his 'spot' on the usually unused bit of counter, but he has climbed up my trouser leg a couple of times since, just to watch.

He still sleeps on the end of our bed, and often where my feet should be. It's a situation that needs improving. I have in mind to make him a frame that will hang over, what is currently 'his spot', so I can make use of all my side of the bed. He likes his comfort does that cat. :D  

Edited by FastFreddy2

Having re-read the story to this point, it's entertaining for me to reminisce how 'kitty' has progressed through it's 4 years of life (or what's coming up to 4 years.)

As has been the case for some time, my life pretty much revolves around what he wants to do, mostly because my work life can come second to his 'needs'. It's not without its rewards though. It's nice to feel liked.

A typical day might start - when he has the chance - by Mrs Freddy letting him out into the garden at 5 or 6 am. Only if the weather is warm and dry would she let him out and leave the back door ajar, so he can return an hour or so later after she has left for work. Once back, he'll re-join me to resume his slumber on our bed, almost always nuzzling me to let me know he has returned. Otherwise, he will sleep until say 10 or 11am if he was out late the night before. I'm not sleeping the day away, but Mrs F is usually out of the house by 5.30 or 6.15am. 

Once up, the cat has some munch and a bit of attention while often sat on my lap. He's not bothered if I'm drinking a coffee or eating my breakfast.... After some fuss, he's off out for a quick wander (toilet duties). I have kept the border on one side of the garden clear and dug over for this purpose. I have told neighbours I will 'make good' any unwanted deposits by our cat, but I keep a large area in our garden for his toilet requirements. The only downside to this is that a neighbours cat quite likes it too....

After a short return for a proper food top-up, he's then out for wander that might keep him out for an hour or two. I suspect the lady a couple of doors down has made friends with him, or he's found somewhere in her large garden to watch the world. He's like me in that respect, happy to watch the world (drink it in).

After his return home and more food, it's afternoon nap time. Once he goes 'off', very little will disturb him. For some reason he likes being high, and the higher the better. Top of that wardrobe mentioned earlier, is still popular. In warmer weather, our North facing garage is cooler, darker, and his sleeping place is 4ft off the ground. More recently, he's found a place in a room we use for storage. I have some hardboard sat on a stack of bins, and he's managed to get up there to sleep, again 4ft off the ground. I am wondering if this is a safety thing?

Afternoon naps can last quite a long time, depending on the season. At the moment he sleeps late, waking for food before going out for his dusk wander. I read that cats are most active at dawn and dusk. Once back, he'll often have a munch, then a snooze on the backrest of our couch as we eat and/or watch some TV. When Mrs Freddy gets herself off to bed, he's out for another wander (and likely toilet duties) before returning for the night. He is getting into the habit of staring out of the front door for an hour after returning home. Not sure why, unless he's making notes on what cars leave the street, and which return? Or maybe he's checking on the wildlife. We see foxes and deer around the house from time to time. (As well as other nocturnal animals like hedgehogs, mice and bats.) A year ago I watched a mouse climb a brick wall after I scared off the cat that was chasing it. Amazing feat. I now understand how they could get into lofts....

The big change in the cat is that he's become more vocal. He's worked out that if he sits next to a door and makes what sounds like a "Moww" noise, someone will arrive if he makes the noise often enough. It's how he announces he would like to go into the garage to sleep (as he's just done), or get to the front door to do some traffic/wildlife watching. 

He's also getting a taste for 'welcoming', either people coming home, or when he enters the room. Although Mrs Freddy can arrive home for him to stay sleeping, it's almost unheard of for him to stay asleep when I return home. He also likes a face-rub when he comes in from a wander. That could be a face-rub against a leg, or his preferred rubbing place, someone's face.

He is still as timid, and noise adverse as ever. Not bothered by aircraft any longer, post deliveries, or people ringing the door bell really upset him. Even me running briskly up the stairs, has him wide-eyed and sometimes side-on with his back arched.... His hearing is as good as ever, as is his jumping skills. And he still likes to end his day sitting on my chest while I'm in bed, getting some fuss before he walks to the bottom of the bed and we both go to sleep. Worryingly, it's becoming a habit I've gotten used to as well. If I've been in bed for more than 10 minutes and he's not appeared, I have to go find him. Good job too a couple of times, because he's obviously followed me into a room and I haven't noticed, then I've closed the door behind me locking him in. 

On balance, does our cat add to our lives? Mrs Freddy would say "yes" because she thinks I dote on our cat. She has perhaps missed how much I care for her, and I do considerably more for her than I do for the cat. He does contribute to my life though, in that he demands affection, and I think we all need that. When I'm not home and she arrives from being out, the cat will usually make a fuss at her returning and that's nice too. If anything untoward should happen to him, certainly he would be missed. Despite being older, he's still 'cute as a button' too. :)

Edited by FastFreddy2